Doctor Who News (3)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (3)

This topic contains 1,028 replies, has 95 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 1,029 total)
  • Author
    Barbara Lefty @barbaralefty

@scaryb thanks for the tip, left it too late to call today – not sure if its too late full stop!!! Will try again tomorrow unless someone puts me out of my misery and says it’s sold out…

Anyway, we had a FAB weekend… to the sofa!

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

More Big Finish news . This November Strax will be joining Henry Gordon Jago and George Litefoot in a radio play titled Jago & Litefoot & Strax: The Haunting .

wolfweed @wolfweed

‘The Four Doctors’ comics are out soon…
    comic

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed — I like the armoured-up Voord. And definitely want me some more War Doctor action. Will look out for that….

And in our Shit Journalism 101 slot, how to leap to wildly unsupported assertions in a headline from the flimsiest of quotes (courtesy of the Metro and the Mirror)….

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish

Well, if he’s now got two series under his belt, it will be ‘sooner rather than later’, won’t it? The Tennant and Smith runs were both three full series and a last series of specials. 🙄

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip — Yeah, I don’t think Capaldi will stay for more than one more season (and next year is already rumoured to be some kind of truncated affair). But I wouldn’t be completely surprised if they sprung a surprise regeneration on us this year.

Still a tenuous conclusion to leap to from those quotes…

next year is already rumoured to be some kind of truncated affair

Well, if it’s the producer swap-over year, then it is likely to be another ‘year of Specials’. They effectively need to have two production offices running simultaneously while the new producer gets up to speed.

Or, indeed, it could be a surprise regeneration and a series of specials to get the new woman in. 😈 But to be honest, if there were a surprise regeneration on the cards, I don’t think Peter Capaldi would be even mentioning the word ‘leave’.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

if there were a surprise regeneration on the cards, I don’t think Peter Capaldi would be even mentioning the word ‘leave’

You’re almost certainly right there.

And if it does turn out to be a year of ‘Specials’ then I suspect it’s unlikely they’d lumber a new Doctor with that. They really need a full run to find their feet.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @jimthefish

I do love PC as the Dr. From those tenuous phrases, I really don’t think he’d be leaving this yr for the reasons alluded to.

Yes, Jim & Pip, I’m beginning to think 2 production companies are a must -maybe even a 2nd direction ‘set’ . But then I don’t imagine it has anything except the stiffest budget.

So maybe next year he might be off?

The schedule is hell, I think. I watched Tennant -a fit, young man, age before my eyes though I do believe he’s had a little ‘work’ done. This from a small source called a friend who saw him disappear into a Harley St office. I did say “well, hell, that could be for anything  -not necessarily cosmetic.”

Still.

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion  If anyone has legit reasons for “having work done”, it’s actors — for so many of them, their faces are, literally, their fortunes (unless they go to doing voice work only).  On the other hand, for some at least the more sculptural qualities you get from age are a benefit.  As in, I am waiting for Bradley Cooper, an excellent and talented actor, to get some lines etc. to give his very generic middle class youngish white guy face (IMO) some distinction.  I’m an admirer of distinction; the unmarked, unlived-in-look just doesn’t grab my attention, I guess.  My aesthetics incline toward the wabi-sabi style of beauty in the beat-up and well-used, the time-scored and distressed, than the shiny smoothness of the new.  Been like that since a kid . . . weird.

I *hope* Capaldi has at least one more season in him after S9 wraps, though he’s alluded to the physically demanding nature of the role and the production schedule more than once, so . . . as usual with DW, anything can happen.

janetteB @janetteb

Just doing a re watch of the last series now and loving PC as the Doctor more and more. I was hoping he might have a longer tenure. Four years would be nice. Rumours are certainly circulating. I spoke to the Pres’ of the local Dr Who fan club and he expressed concerns that Moffat is leaving. In the absence of any concrete news rumours will also arise. I hope that is all they are.

Cheers

Janette

ichabod @ichabod

@janetteb  Damn it, Capaldi can’t go so soon!  Four years; five years, better!

Unless, of course, there are other considerations that we wot not of, which of course there must be — that incline the situation against a long tenure rather than a short one.  Didn’t we have news a while back that S10 was already signed up to go, with both Moffat and Capaldi on board?

@ichabod

S10 is greenlit and Moffat is signed up for it. That’s why, if the rumoured ‘short series for S10’ is the case, I’d expect it to be for a producer switch over.

If we are having a new producer, I’d expect that a) the new producer is trying to persuade Peter Capaldi to stay for S11 or b) @jimthefish ‘s idea of a surprise regeneration is on the cards so the next Doctor is already in place. Alternatively, they might go for a Companion who’s likely to stay for S10 and 11.

Moffat’s spoken a few times of how flat-out terrifying S5 was – new producer, new Doctor, new Companion.

Anonymous @

@missy

yes I saw your note on The Sofa. I think what Pip says in every way is true “it’s already going to be sooner rather than later.”

I think middle of next yr but this won’t be mentioned/confirmed  until the very end of this year –if then. So, maybe not.

It’s a brutal rehearsal schedule.

Still,  when he said “I’m an …idiot in a box flying around”. Broke me up.

So, no, don’t want him to go at all. But: onwards always.

Missy @missy

Sorry, sorry. Sorry sorry – as the Doctor would say. I posted on the wrong thread.
    PC must stay for at least 2 more series ……….PLEASE! The waiting is bad enough, but to hear, or rather read,that both PC and SM could be leaving the series, is quite frankly a nightmare!
    I am not happy. Not happy at all!

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy I certainly hope the rumours are not true but given the nature of the internet/fan rumour mill I am not going to despair yet. I suspect that in the protracted wait for the new series fans are getting restless, anxious, and obsessing over every little scrap of information or non information. The wait is sending us all crazy. 🙂 I have all available digits crossed that both Moffat and Capaldi will be about for at least two more series. (If Capaldi is finding the work too strenuous then they might well have a shortened S.10 leading into a regen’ in s.11.) Why not have a mid series regeneration? It has never been done before but surely would ease actor, director and viewers gently into the change and keep nervous execs assured of ongoing viewing attachment to the series.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb

I do hope you are right janette and I think your idea of a mid series is a good idea.
    SM and MG wrote a special Sherlock to keep the Sherlockians (of which I am one)happy, so why not Doctor Who?
    Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Cheers,

Missy

Missy @missy

PS. I did get the information from Google, so it’s a bit of a worry.

Cheers again

Missy

Arbutus @arbutus

@missy @all

Personally, I’m pretty sure that this is a non-issue. We always knew that Capaldi was unlikely to stay for more than three, or just possibly four, series. He has done one and has wrapped or is wrapping (not sure which) two. So the speculation begins, but nobody really knows anything, and Capaldi hasn’t really said anything, except what we already knew, that he won’t be doing the gig forever. There’s too much else out there to do and DW doesn’t really allow for it. But I would assume that we will get at least one more series out of him, unless something pretty fabulous comes along to tempt him away (which could always happen, of course). But the only other modern Doctor to stay for fewer than three series was Eccleston, and we know that he was unhappy.

Furthermore, if Moffat is signed on for Series 10, then I agree with @bluesqueakpip, that Capaldi is likely to stay on slightly longer, to avoid a repeat of the challenges associated with Series 5. Because it’s hard to believe that Moffat isn’t feeling ready to move on sooner than later, he’s been living and breathing this show for an awfully long time. On the whole, I’ve been a fan, so I’ll be sad to see his era come to an end. But I’m pretty sure that the show will continue to be great without him, just different, as RTD’s show was different. I didn’t dislike RTD’s Who, just on the whole have enjoyed Moffat’s era more (with the exception of Series 4, which I loved, and Series 6, which I loved less).

Now Jenna Coleman is another story. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her depart soonest of all, because she’s been at it longer than Capaldi, and because it’s hard to see how much further her story can go and still stay interesting. But, as the Curator said, “Who knows?”  🙂

@arbutus

Now Jenna Coleman is another story.

I will be very interested to see what’s happening with Clara this series, because we know that Steven Moffat was desperate to persuade Jenna Coleman to stay. To the extent that the Christmas Special was written with two endings, to give her more time to make her decision.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @arbutus

I agree arbutus about Clara: her story is virtually complete and I thought she might be out mid season -as in we’d see her for 6 episodes and no more but that’s probably not the case? I think she’ll be in this entire season and then perhaps leave at the end of this year?

I’d dearly love to see some resolution regarding Orson and the toy soldier and to what extent Clara was involved with Missy beyond just the “woman in the shop”. As people have said, Mixmaster tends to plan and plan and then things can go  disastrously wrong: the Impossible Girl situation was one thing that occurred as a consequence of the GI, but Clara ended up there because of the phone call from the “woman in shop.”

We have had Donna lose her memory, Rose end up in a parallel universe with ‘her doctor’ and the Ponds are forever in NY where the Doctor cannot return (at that point in time) so I wonder whether we’ll have a death. I know Clara/Oswin/Oswald died as Governess and as Oswin herself (when we first encountered her), but are we ready for the on screen death of a current, full series companion?

I think it’s time: it would ramp up the atmosphere and the tension but only to do it for that would be farcical. It would need to be beautifully scripted. I’m not sure how Clara would ‘end her travels’. Would she meet another guy? I hope it wouldn’t end because of that. Would she just stop travelling with him for some other reason? A disaffection with the life? A bargain made to continue the Doctor’s life or the life of another character?

I have no theory! Just musings.

lisa @lisa

@purofilion If the last 2 episodes take place on an alien planet possibly even
    Galifrey (which I think that might be the case) then I have to wonder if she goes
    off something like in the way Romana left the 4th Doctor. That is to be with other
    aliens and to be a guide. Having been with the Doctor so long I am speculating that
    she has knowledge and skills that would be useful.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@purofilion

what if the girl who was born to save the Doctor can only do it by dying to save the Doctor? Yes, she has died before (well sort of) but never really died…the way Danny died. What if she is the companion who (besides Adric) dies? But not just dies, but dies to both save the Doctor and to reconnect with Danny?

there would not be a dry eye in the house.

Think about it, death has been lingering recently. Danny. Osgood. What if Clara’s death is the “dark” that has been intimated at? In a way, it makes  narrative sense. After all, she should have been dead from her first appearance.

and it would explain walking past her own gravestone. I think…

lisa @lisa

@blenkinsopthebrave Like your idea a lot too ! 🙂

Anonymous @

@lisa @blenkinsopthebrave

Perfect: “and it would explain walking past her own gravestone. I think”

Indeed it would.

I like it…..Oh, I can’t wait!  On another not particularly relevant note, Sept 19 is my 25th wedding anniversary. I think it’s probably being shown in Oz on Sept 20 but will be available on ABC iview from Sept 19.

Still, I’d rather watch in on the bigger screen of the TV rather than huddling around the lap top.

@purofilion

Congratulations!

your wedding anniversary will be on ABC iview??!!

does mean you are…famous…?

Wow.

lisa @lisa
    Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

Oh bloody hell I led with the chin on that one didn’t I? 🙂

Errm, so yes, in order to ensure people don’t download Dr Who, ABC tends to put the new episode on iview from midnight but huddling around the computer is awful. This means staying away from the Forum until we’ve watched Episode 1 about 24 hours later than the UK, for example. What I was trying to say was “how exciting: Sept 19 is my wedding anniversary and the same date as the start of my fav show”.

Oh Lordy.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave @lisa

“I think it’s probably being shown in Oz on Sept 20 but will be available on ABC iview from Sept 19.”

Lessons in how to use the all important pronoun ‘it’s’

Oh my.

Thanks Lisa: a themed cake! I wasn’t even thinking of a cake at all! I’m so tired of baking I thought: hell we’ll buy one. Then I saw the prices of, say, a red velvet cake: $85 and upwards. Cripes, what’s it got? Gold leaf and silver baubles?

I might make some cup cakes instead 🙂  ….with jelly babies

@purofilion

I really did mean the congratulations. Mrs Blenkinsop and I will break open a bottle of champagne in celebration on the 19th–taking account of the time difference with Canada (which may involve having champagne at breakfast.) And why not?

Of course, none of this means that you are not famous…

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

Mr Blenkinsop,

well thank you! You’ll have champagne? That’s very lovely indeed.

And of course, don’t they still have  ‘chicken and champagne breakfasts’?

No, not famous: though perhaps infamous. In my own suburb I have been seen taking out the garbage in pyjamas and gesticulating wildly at the handyman who spray gunned my fence and consequently all my plants. He then youtubed  this fence painting ‘job’  which he’s had the sense to take down before the ‘arm of the law’ took hold of him by the scruff of his little scrawny neck.

OK. Obviously I need to breathe and shortly have a red wine from the Park Estate.

janetteB @janetteb

@Puro The Pres” of the Dr Who fan club confirmed that it will be screened on the 20th.  Oh and congrats on the Wedding anniversary.

@lisa wow those cakes really put my pathetic efforts to shame. These days I cheat and use Playmobil and any other suitably scaled models for cake decorations. Saves a lot of time and calories. I do have to be careful if there are candles however as the figures can melt. Last yr R.2 made a very good dalek out of Marzipan but sadly the dog found it. Thought it was the best bone ever.

Which reminds me. I must head to the city to get English jelly babies. The local lolly shop having gone the way of all the other local small businesses.

Cheers

Janette

lisa @lisa

@JametteB @purofilion Aren’t the new Doctor Who Legos coming out soon??
    They should make excellent cake decorations!
    and @janetteb Dog + marzipan bone = lol!

Anonymous @

what if the girl who was born to save the Doctor can only do it by dying to save the Doctor?

Agreed. It will be interesting to see what they do with Clara- in two seasons she’s basically had two seperate plot arcs, both more or less concluded- Impossible Girl and Danny/conflict with normal life, with two logical exit points for her character at the end of each of them.
    It’s hard to imagine that they would give her another major new plot arc after that; rather, I think she’ll have less prominence in that area and the major character/plot developments will be about the Doctor instead.

Anonymous @

@lisa ah yes indeed!

Funnily enough I was showing an excerpt of The Thick of It (Malcolm Tucker) to a friend regarding the “space hairdresser and carpet with the tinfoil pal and the peddle bin who screwed his sister and lived with the teddy bears [ewoks]. Aren’t they all lego now?”

And Ollie replies, “Oh, you mean Star Wars!”

Ah, Malcolm, we miss you.

But yes, Doctor Who Lego. Lovely. I think @thommck loved his lego too.

Anonymous @

@janetteb

Ah, yes, the 20th. I thought so. Hmm. Still, I think we can see it on iview early but somehow it’s not the same!

It’s usually a Sunday night in Oz not Sat as it once was with the reboot – C. Eccleston.

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion     Wow, congratulations. A Silver Wedding so that would be… Cybermen?   🙂

I purchase my AG Who through iTunes, and new episode downloads become available at midnight on the night of broadcast. So I am usually able to see each new episode sometime on Sunday, usually in the early afternoon when Mr. Arbutus is napping and Arbutus Junior is tucked up in his cave with his skype friends. It’s painful avoiding the Forum on Sunday morning, and I am always a day late to the party.

@lisa   Arbutus Jr. used to be a passionate Lego collector, and has among other things a lot of Town Plan stuff. One set included a little Lego bride and groom. Some good friends of ours got married a few years ago, a very lovely nerdy couple that we knew through Mr. Arbutus’ IT work, and the bride, a Lego fan, joked that they should use AJ’s Lego figures on their cake. Well, in the end, they did, and it was adorable, and AJ was very proud that he had provided the cake topper!

Oh dear, we’ve gone pretty far off topic, haven’t we?

janetteB @janetteb

@arbutus I am sure we can pull the conversation back. I am rather sure there were some Lego Who figures on cakes. (Well if not then I am sure there will be soon.)

I really like @blenkinsopthebrave‘s idea that Clara must die saving the Doctor because that is what Clara always does. (not that I want Clara to die.) This has been somewhat foreshadowed too by the references to her death sprinkled through the series. Occasionally, just very occasionally a companion needs to be killed off in order to sustain a sense of genuine danger.

Cheers

Janette

ichabod @ichabod

@janetteb

Occasionally, just very occasionally a companion needs to be killed off in order to sustain a sense of genuine danger.

Also, I think, in Clara’s case I think there needs to be a strong finish just to do justice to the character — her complexity, her willfulness, her nerve, and of course her high standing in the Doctor’s regard.  And because this Doctor is old and experienced enough with time and what it brings, he carries in his somberness an aura of doubt and anxiety that goes beyond “am I a good man” and into “People I love die on me, and how often is it my fault?”  That needs to be grounded in real events sometimes, or he could come off as somebody inclined to indulging in neurotic self-pity.

Missy @missy

@janetteb @ichabod

Kill Clara to save the doctor? Interesting idea and a thing that SM would do.

Capaldi’s Doctor has always come over (to me at least) as more human than the other three, with all the elements which make us up.He seems so unsure of himself at a times, and yet manages to to seem completely assured. In fact he’s more complex than the other Doctors.

That say the rest of you?

Cheers

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy. Yes. More complex, mercurial, changeable, less easy to read. There are more undercurrents in this Doctor, he does not wear his heart on his sleeve Tennant style or have the open-eyed innocence of Smith. Capaldi has brought something new to the role while carrying a little bit of every doctor that has been before.

Cheers

Janette

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish et all. I don’t think anyone has posted this yet. AL Kennedy did a good write up about Doctor Who in The Guardian yesterday.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/aug/25/doctor-who-rescued-me-literary-world-al-kennedy

Mudlark @mudlark

@craig  Thanks for pointing me to this, I would have missed it otherwise.  It made for interesting reading, as did some of the comments BTL (give or take the usual suspects).  One which made me hoot loudly enough to startle my next door neighbour was ‘Jon Pertwee’s Doctor was a perfect gentleman. CPO Pertwee might have been a different matter …’ .  One of the problems I always had with Jon Pertwee’s Doctor was the memory of him in The Navy Lark!

lisa @lisa

I think I should have posted that last post in spoilers ??? ah -oh!!!! @craig 🙁

Missy @missy

@janetteb

At times he comes over as quite vulnerable and therefore rather appealing.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@lisa. No worries. I’ve moved it. 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

Lots of interesting speculations… I really hope Capaldi  hangs around for a good while longer.  Not against change, but the current team still seems to be firing  on all cylinders as well as bringing in new blood to keep it fresh.

@Purofilion – Congrats on the cyber-anniversary. Hope you have a great day (filmed or otherwise, LOL)

@craig Thanks for the AL Kennedy article. (Also for the design tweak showing people’s @ handles – that helps a lot)

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig — yes, I saw that. Lots to agree with in it. She says something that I’ve been fumbling towards expressing myself in that part of the appeal of Who in the classic days is that he is a hero that appeals to the marginal, the awkward, the loner (and the lonely). For those of a certain age when he was around in this form, he had an enormous appeal. Compare with Star Trek and even Star Wars, its two main SF rivals of the time, where the characters are embedded in an Establishment, an socio-technological infrastructure where even individualists like Han Solo are ultimately made to conform.

But to be the Doctor, to be footloose, to almost revel in your lack of ties or friends, to make it a strength rather than a weakness, to have a self-contained home (and one that lets you see wonders) that is a potent fantasy for many growing up. The Doctor represents an absolute intellectual, social and even economic freedom. I share a lot of ALK’s nostalgia for Who on that level.

However, I feel her argument teeters a bit close to ARSE at points. A sort of ‘it was much better when it was just the Doctor fighting monsters with an assistant’ and looks askance at the New Adventures as being somehow detrimental. (I think the NA are about 60% rubbish btw but that other 40% has massively informed the new series and was, let’s face it, a lifeline for many during the interregnum. And I think you could argue that the reason the show is back now is as much down to them as to any residual nostalgia of the BG series.) ALK also said recently that she doesn’t think there should be a female Doctor. On these two points, she is, I feel, wrong. (It actually pains me a little to say it. As she is, to my mind, one of the best British novelists of the past 20-odd years.)

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish

Good comment. And I agree he is

a hero that appeals to the marginal, the awkward, the loner (and the lonely)

He’s the frequently gauche, socially awkward hero who solves problems with brain not brawn.

But I do feel the need to be pedantic. You say:

to almost revel in your lack of ties

Right back to Hartnell, the Doctor has always been rather partial to a tie! Just not a conventional one 😉  Often a bow tie, frequently a cravat and on occasion a full blown scarf (an overgrown tie IMHO).

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@scaryb — I absolutely defer to your ties point….

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 1,029 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (3)’ is closed to new replies.