Doctor Who News (3)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (3)

This topic contains 1,028 replies, has 95 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 1,029 total)
  • Author
    lisa @lisa

@janeette Always tempted to say jelly babies because of my avatar it just seems appropriate ?
    [although jelly baby ‘crumbs’? is that a thing ? can jelly babies crumble? does anyone want
    to eat a crumbly jelly baby?] So I went for the bread crumbs but also agree that jammy
    dodgers crumble and are very nice indeed!

lisa @lisa

oops! that was for @janetteb above — spelling hiccup !

Anonymous @

@lisa – you just had to wait until after I already posted to come up with “Jelly Baby Crumbs” 👿

janetteB @janetteb

@lisa I thought of jelly babies but didn’t think they were crumbly enough and “bits of jelly baby” just didn’t sound right somehow.

Cheers

Janette

lisa @lisa

@janetteb and @barnable – Well good grief I relent so ok jelly baby crumbs can be a thing!
    Boy you guys can be tough-a-geddon! 🙂 [just worried that if they crumble into
    baby crumbs that they might start screaming about it from their little bitty jelly
    baby mouths?] 🙁

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Apologies if someone has already posted this, but the Radio Times has a poll asking for votes for the best episode of each series of NuWho as we approach the tenth anniversary of the relaunch next year.

You can vote here: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-08/what-is-the-best-doctor-who-episode-of-the-modern-era

I chose the following, so it seems I like the two parters!

1. The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances

2. School Reunion

3. Human Nature/ The Family of Blood

4. Silence in the Library/ Forest of the Dead

5. The Pandorica Opens/ The Big Bang

6. The Impossible Astronaut/ The Day of the Moon

7. The Day of the Doctor

8. Listen

ichabod @ichabod

Favorite:

“Deep Breath” did it for me for Season 8 (although I loved the polish and the character-interplay in Mummy and the sheer, cheerful goofiness of Robot of Sherwood and other elements of other episodes. The complex structure and the sheer daring of “Deep Breath” — taking on so much, veering wildly from comedy to horror to action pic and still ending with an ending that resolved the first, major step of the season’s arc (who is this guy called The Doctor?) but opened up the whole season of succeeding puzzle-boxes for our exploration of hid character and our general delectation (is he a swashbuckling hero of folklore? A master burglar who does puzzles for fun? A suave, traveling detective with a heart of titanium? etc.). Altogether this was an ambitious, rocky but thrilling ride, and satisfying as all get-out to this viewer. Never been a fan of perfection, but I’m a dead lost sucker for creative vitality and imagination.

As for the other seasons, I don’t remember them well enough to choose.  I’ve only watched on and off since my favorite Doc, was was Tom Baker, and it’s all become a bit of a blur, with happy big holes in it.

Anonymous @

@juniperfish  You. Stole. My. List.

Amazing.  I also liked the two-parters!

Ten years. Oh, my. I recall the evening it first appeared on prime time, Channel 2. I recall putting the Boy Child to bed and coming downstairs and railing at Mr Ilion within 10 mins. What is THIS?  WHERE are the crappy effects and the lengthy exhortations on mankind? WHO is that dude in the leather jacket? Leather? Has he NO shame?

It took me a couple of weeks, but I was eventually won over by Nu Who.

Memories.

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish @Purofilion

You. Stole. My. List.

Haha, me too, pretty much. Though there were some tough choices, esp in series 6, 7 and 8.

I liked RTD’s comment that you can’t have a 10 year anniversary straight after a 50th one.  Who can’t?? 😉

janetteB @janetteb

Thank you for the link @juniperfish That was an interesting exercise. I voted as follows,

1 The Doctor Dances two parter

2 Girl in the Fireplace

3 Blink

4 Turn Left. (Though Silence in the Library was a very strong contender there.)

Specials, Waters of Mars

5 Time of Angels. (A very tough choice. There were so many contenders, ie Eleventh Hour and Vincent

6 A Good Man goes to war. (Also tough but because for me there were no stand out episodes in this lot.)

7 Day of the Doctor. (Again so many good episodes it would have been tough had Day of the Doctor not been so outstanding.)

8 I put “last Christmas” mainly because of the bagging it got on line. I would also have liked to vote for Listen as those two would be equal favourites. Selecting either over the other seemed unfair.

What I found interesting was by voting I realised just how strong some series are. I have found the overall quality of episodes in Moffat’s years better though there were some outstanding ones during the RTD era too. The notable exception would be series 6 which though not terrible had no brilliant stories. (IMHO)Apologies to fans of ‘The Doctor’s Wife but much though I have tried it still does not work for me.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@janetteb  I love your list.  I wanna new list now. I loved The Doctor’s Wife and I also loved Vincent. I recall the latter was bagged mercilessly and I have no idea why. Perhaps it was the Krakatayiswhatever? I thought the actor who played Vincent did a redoubtable job and Nighy at the end? Magic. As was the choice of music.

Interesting with Turn Left: it always leaves me very nervous (as it should). It’s a Doctor lite episode but I think Rose and Donna’s interactions are priceless. Donna’s frustration, rage and helplessness is such a wound and her mother, what a wonderful actress! For sure, an example of less is more. An ep where people matter -not the effects or the fact they’re on earth for most of it.

Girl in the Fireplace  that’s a terrific example of two companions in the Tardis who work. Mickey with “it smells like Sunday dinner” and Rose’s “now you’re gettin’ it!!” Her quiet compassion towards Madame dP is lovely – she’s not jealous but gentle and ‘machure’. A  change from Bat Land when she meets “the ex” (as Mickey refers to her).

Regards, puro

Couple of really close run things though:

1. The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances (Dalek nearly got it, but Nancy and using a true but largely unknown aspect of WWII (feral kids, not nanogenes)edges it)

2. Girl In The Fire Place (Still the finest single episode of AG Who – cuts straight to the essence of Who)

3. Human Nature/ The Family of Blood (I still tear up at the closing scene. Amazed I didn’t go for Blink)

4. Silence in the Library/ Forest of the Dead (well, duh!)

Specials – Waters of Mars (End of Time ended up a little too overblown)

5. Vincent (for entirely personal reasons – the season as a whole comes close to matching S5 of Buffy and, for TV, praise does not come higher)

6. The Doctor’s Wife (Just – the God Complex came close, as did The Girl Who Waited, but much good stuff)

7. The Day of the Doctor (‘cos – but for S7 proper, a dead heat between Angels Take Manhattan and Asylum of the Dalek. But I like the whole season a wee bit beyond reason, but possibly because of what it built up to)

8. Listen (Flatline came close though)

I think the Christmas eps should have had their own list and Day of… should have been on a list of one episode just to make a point.

janetteB @janetteb

@pedant I agree with you about both the Christmas episodes being a separate list and Day of the Doctor being in a category all its own. It certainly was unfair to put it into series 7 which had a lot of strong contenders but nothing could possibly better DotD.

@Purofilion, You describe Turn Left beautifully. (as always. 😉 )

Cheers

Janette

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Filming has now officially started on Series 9, and the first official details are on the BBC’s Doctor Who site.

As ever, don’t look if you don’t like any advance news – but this is from the official site, so we can presume that the eagle eye of one S. Moffat glared at it before it went out. 😀

Anonymous @

@janetteb  yes my ability to remember character’s names, actual episode names and other indications of a working brain are acknowledged. On the Buffy page I make up all sorts of titles for things -not for amusement but because I really don’t remember. Hence Bat Land for ….?

Ah, School Reunion (and that’s only because I read it in @pedant ‘s list – a great list btw -now I’m writing those annoying acronyms. I figured out RL a little while ago).

Janette? Have you seen Buffy?  ‘Mine eyes have been opened. And it is Good”. On another matter, how’s the fire in your area? (sorry mods, off topic).

@bluesqueakpip  I imagine Moffat with his eagle glare: it would be frightening and exhilarating to work for the guy. His brain speeds along at 100 miles a second. I find it rather hard to keep up!

Regards, puro.

@purofilion

In the interests of peace, harmony and other squishy stuff, School Reunion was in @juniperfish‘s list. I went for Girl in the Fireplace (or the the sheer sentimental value of Sarah Jane is hugely tempting)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@pedant @purofilion Yes 🙂

To join up with another thread – School Reunion is actually a very Buffy episode of Who, not least because – it’s set in a school, Anthony Head is in it as a dodgy bat-creature, and it’s actually all about relationships not monsters.

I love Rose’s bitch-face in this episode, and I love that she and Sarah Jane come to a shared laugh and an understanding at the end.

Girl in the Fireplace didn’t really do it for me. The whole horse riding thing was just too pompous. I prefer the Doctor to be grumbling and eccentric rather than suave. Give me Eleven’s wiggly dance at Amy’s wedding over Ten’s flourishes of smooth any day.

Wibblywobblytimeywimey.spreadshirt @wibblywobblytimeywimey-spreadshirt

If you are interested in some really cool Doctor Who (and other Fandom(s) related shirts and such, check out:

http://wibblywobblytimeywimey.spreadshirt.com/

By the way, for our UK members, BBC3 has the World Tour followed by a repeat of Deep Breath from 7pm tonight.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Thanks @bluesqueakpip 🙂 I’m watching it now and it’s great to see the enthusiasm in Korea! Global fandom is wonderful.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip @juniperfish

I was called out today, but have just watched that documentary and highly recommend it. A lovely reflection of fan enthusiasm after reading unhinged internet comments, and just fantastic to see the creativity and diverse nature of fandom.

It was interesting to see the spread of the demographics as they moved around. I’d say the historic bastions of fandom (UK and Australia) had the most diverse age ranges, while I was absolutley shocked by the overwhelming female and young Korean audience. Lovely to see them treating Peter Capaldi like a rock star.

Lots of nice talking heads and SM, PC and JC seem to have a great dynamic. Jenna snorting with laughter as Capaldi said, at one point “oh…good answer. Sounda suspiciously rehearsed though. Have you been asked it before?” was a killer.

Loved seeing Alice X Zhang working on her artwork. Her confidence with the digital techniques is remarkable. Hope our resident artwork appreciators @jimthefish, @whisht and @wolfweed got to look at that.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift and @bluesqueakpip and all

Yes, definitely worth a watch. Alice XZ’s art is amazing. I first came across it on Tumblr and she has now been licensed by the BBC and her art is available via their shop http://www.bbcshop.com/search?q=Alice+X.Zhang .

It is great that the Moff got out on the tour himself and saw the global fan enthusiasm for the show because I suspect he’d been spending too much time in certain corners of the interwebs and had, at various points, got jaded. Not that critique is a bad thing by any means, it can be a wonderful thing, but creatives deserve to be in touch with their enthusiasts as well as their critics.

Whisht @whisht

yep – thanks for the heads-up @phaseshift

Funnily enough I did watch the programme and realised how out of touch I was with digital artworking, when I saw her painting vertically onto a screen, just as you would with liquid paints on an easel.

And there’s me thinking of tablets and screens as separate elements (not for the pros obviously!).

It was also great to see the genuine enthusiasm of fans. The sheer joy they have in sharing something.

And of course, I think I could hug the girl with the “Keep Clam…” T-shirt (so glad she wasn’t too embarrassed by it).

ScaryB @scaryb

I’m beginning to pine for lack of Dr Who on TV! Seems to have disappeared completely from catch-up on my TV.  Must have a look and see if I can find the World Tour thingy on iplayer on computer. Sounds great. I remember someone on here from Korea (sorry, forgotten who) talking about how they’d had to move to a bigger venue. And agree – it’s great that the team get to come face to face with the postive side of fandom.

Meanwhile… THE DOCTOR NEEDS OUR HELP. AND IT’S TIME SENSITIVE – VOTE BY NOON (GMT) ON WED 21 JAN – 

http://www.nationaltvawards.com/vote

National TV Awards – decided by viewers’ votes. Doctor Who is in the Drama section – it’s a toughie – up against Sherlock, Downton and Cilla.  So get voting peeps!  There are a no of other categories – vote in as many or as few as you like, but note that you have to complete the very short section at the end with your name and email addy for the vote to count.

And just to add my agreement to @juniperfish‘s comments about Alice X Zhang’s beautiful artworks. I seem to remember someone (J’fish?) posted a link to it on the Fan Creativity thread many many moons ago when it was still only on the Deviant Art site.  It’s great it’s now on the official BBC site. Between that and the fan who came  up with the new “clockwork” credits – it’s great that the show notices, and acknowledges, these things.

@scaryb

I’m beginning to pine for lack of Dr Who on TV!

BBC3 on Fridays. This week it’s Into the Dalek at 7.15pm. Deep Breath should be on iPlayer.

Clearly BBC3 doesn’t think it’s too soon to do a Capaldi rewatch…

😈

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I’m a big fan of the Alice Zhang stuff. So pleased the BBC has picked up their stuff.

@whisht — there are are still old-school tablets available but their new Cintiq pressure-sensitive screen range is the dog’s danglies — if you have the cash for them. The price is starting to come down though and they’ve just released a new range. They’ve also brought out an iPad-like Companion tablet with a pressure-sensitive screen that runs Photoshop on Windows and is meant to be very nice too. You can have a nice drool at them here.

GWMU_Rycbar @gwmurycbar

Hello, I’m new to this website. I have some news to share but have no idea how to post it, can someone please tell me where to post on forums?

Anonymous @

@GWMU_Rycbar

Hello and welcome. You could start by reading the Companions Past and Present thread. Maybe sharing your views about a fav companion? Or go the Memories thread to describe your early memories about Doctor Who.

Alternatively, The Sofa is a good place to join in a conversation and then, my favourite, The Cloven Hoof, where you’ll get a decent drink!

Regards, purofilion

nick1235 @nick1235

I hope this gets in to the attention, I know it might not be that big of a deal, but The Doctor and The Dalek (game) has just been released and now on Tablet or PC in the UK. The link is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/games/doctor-who-game

Currently using VPN (TunnelBear) to go to UK and try this game out. Seems promising. A 2D sideways game, pretty light in the eyes. Cheers.

Anonymous @

It’s been a long time coming but the Sixth Doctor finally gets a proper regeneration story.

The Doctor and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat get a final Big Finish outing in a story that also features Michael Jayston reprising his role as The Valeyard.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/coming-in-september-doctor-who—the-sixth-doctor-the-last-adventure

Another thing that’s been a long time a’coming – the Doctor Who Lego set has finally been licensed.

RTD vs Moffat – now it’s personal 😉 Very amusing.

ichabod @ichabod

Yes, fun — jeez, the contortions these guys go through, but how could it be otherwise with a show about a very old adult male alien who keeps changing faces over 50 yrs (minus the gap, of course).  The continuity issue is a lost cause, at least for me — I don’t even bother.  I did see all of Tom Baker’s years, and some of the rest, but I can’t keep track, and life doesn’t permit going back and watching all of it again, so . . .

Anyway, that plus the tension between a show for kids/family viewing and a show for people who have grown up and who want at least some underpinnings of adult character and behavior sabotages the whole idea of continuity forever, seems to me.  Just gotta go with the flow, or grump out because hey, he was married couple times and there were some kids he never refers to, so he must have been a sexual being all along except no but sort of yes but what about pining for Rose/Amy/whomever and flirting like mad in NuWho but now he says “That’s done,”but the background tension is thick enough to cut with a bread knife, so . . . ?  Whert the fook?

I think I like these guys’ attitude best: gibes and laughter and twisty escapes, and why not?  Itsa TV!

Oh yes, and “Lost”?  Loved it at first, because it had some actual middle-aged characters portrayed by middle-aged people, instead of a fantasy airplane full of pretty young things (though of course there was a preponderance of same).  When it became apparent that every single question was just going to lead to another question, I backed off, but it was great fun for a season or two.

ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant

That link to the interchange between RTD and Moffat is hysterical.

Now if only the rest of fandom could strive for that degree of combative friendly rivalry re who can be the more inventive retconner. You think I’ve caught you out in a continuity error, well Aha! think again 😉  Love the wee dig at Russel’s veggies. and the whole thing is underpinned by Moff clearly wanting RTD to come back to the TARDIS family. But on his terms no doubt 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

Yay! Hettie MacDonald (of Blink) 🙂

(That’s as much coherence as I can manage tonight (too many glasses of red) but especially welcome news in light of recent discussions we’ve been having on another thread.)

loltardis @loltardis

ANYONE WHO HAS ANY SUPER RARE MICROFIGURES. CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME AT loltardis@hotmail.co.uk, i’m aiming to collect them all and in desperate need of whovians help! THANKS

Anonymous @

David Tennant explains why Broadchurch is nothing like Doctor Who.

Oops – wrong thread!

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

Ta for the post, lots of chuckles. Brilliant.  Broadchurch’s timelines, not to mention Alec Hardy’s speedy recovery from heart surgery would make a lot more sense with a TARDIS involved!  Think they missed a trick there. 🙂 (Tho when it gets it right, especially in the details, Broadchurch is unbeatable! eg Jocelyn finding a couple of strands of her (just deceased) mother’s hair on her (mother’s) clothing. Big sniff from me at that bit)

And returning to some actual on-topic topics – the BBC site has some official news on the Series 9 cast.

As ever, please only click on the link if you want that information, as you’ll be thoroughly (officially) spoilered the second you spot the headline. 😀

Latest cast news for Series 9.

Rob @rob

@bluesqueakpip

Yes saw something on the dreaded F/B and was happy…… Is that too wrong?????

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip. Oh that cast list is very interesting. I have my suspicions about one name on there but maybe I should save that for the Spoilers thread just in case. Looking forward to more bonkers theorising.

Cheers

Janette

@craig, @fatmaninabox, @jimthefish and @phaseshift – firstly, is it time to start up a Series 9 blog? So we can discuss official production-team approved spoilers where those who wish to be utterly unspoilered can avoid them?

And secondly, should @lisa‘s #38133 be moved, because it gives away a rather important piece of information? Admittedly, it’s official information, but I’m thinking of the aforesaid ‘don’t want to know anything‘ group.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip — post duly moved. Sort of. Working on it.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip @jimthefish @fatmaninabox @phaseshift

I’ve started a new blog which can be found here:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/trailers/bbc-approved-doctor-who-series-9-spoilers-and-trailers/

However I think policing this forum could become quite difficult, and the forum could become quite boring, if absolutely nothing about series nine, EVEN approved information, can be discussed elsewhere on the forum.

I guess we just play it by ear for now.

@craig

I guess we just play it by ear for now.

That’s what I’m thinking.

Personally, I reckon that particular bit of official information is going to become so widespread, so quickly, that even the ‘want to know nowt’ people will find out about it. At which point it will sort of spread onto the main forum.

It’s just that I do remember last year that some people didn’t even want to check out the official info, so should probably be given the option to, er, not know what it is before they don’t check it out. :-~

ScaryB @scaryb

Well this is going to annoy the “Danny Pink is boring brigade” 😀

Congrats to Samuel Anderson on winning Best Male Performance on TV at the Screen Nation Awards

http://www.kasterborous.com/2015/02/samuel-anderson-wins-best-male-performance-tv-screen-nation-awards/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

janetteB @janetteb

Congratulations indeed and well deserved. I thought Samuel Anderson was great in both roles. Thanks for the link @scaryb

Cheers

Janette

PaperMoon @papermoon

Yay, congratulations to Samuel Anderson!

Hmm, Rupert and Orson, such a big set up, if they are not important, why even put them there.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 1,029 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (3)’ is closed to new replies.