General Music thread 2

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 2

This topic contains 1,008 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 1,009 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@purofilion – yep, I found that PG vid a little disturbing. That said, the animation, although more sophisticated, reminded me of…

@whisht @arbutus – ultimately, a weed is anything unwanted in your garden. Personally, I love to see a lawn covered in Dandelions, Buttercups, Daisies and Clover (I prefer the purple ones to the creamy variety).

Arbutus, we’re doing Tree Identification on Friday so I’ll keep an eye out for your namesakes 😉

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@fatmaninabox

Congrats on passing your first two assessments. But when d’you get to diggy diggy hole?

[well, you introduced me to this particular earworm 😈 ]

Arbutus @arbutus

I just saw this fascinating graphic about how people listen to music, and thought I’d share. I was a little surprised by the amount of radio listening that apparently goes on; shows what I know.  🙂

pic.twitter.com/snnHM9T8pS

Anonymous @

@arbutus  that was very interesting -I spend days reading tables. The 16-24 yr old  area at least had more of what I expected: the use of iPods etc but adults above that listen to the radio THAT much?  Intriguing I understand the 70s/80s would do this -days of the wireless etc but all those poor, bought, dusty CDs just sitting there?  I don’t fit that category. I suppose I occasionally listen to the world news whilst driving. And boyofilion is happy to follow my CDs in the car, at least -which are fairly unexciting: or, should I say  nothing unusual.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip   your link sent to me Dan Bull -OK, I was ignorant of that guy and have spent the last 30 mins watching his every  & very funny vids about facebook. Not bad at all! Kindest, purofilion.

Whisht @whisht

@bluesqueakpip – ok, I have no idea the context of Diggy Diggy Hole and I’m afraid to learn more or I’ll sink down a well of time-sucking awesomeness.

Loved it!

@arbutus – interesting. I’m no statistician (wish I could wrap my head around numbers) but love infographics (real ones like bar charts etc) because they reveal something about the numbers!
    Will need to peruse over the weekend methinks as need to understand if the low numbers of 16-24 yr olds skew things at least for that bar. Also I’ll have to figure out how much I listen to but probably a lot more radio than would seem obvious (all ‘talk’ radio – Radio 4 and 5).

Cheers!!

Arbutus @arbutus

Yes, @purofilion, I would say the same. We listen mostly to our personal collection, with smaller forays into radio. We used to listen much more to the radio before CBC2 (Canada’s version of BBC3) was Dalekized into a shadow of its former self. @whisht, I would imagine that for the purposes of these stats, talk radio doesn’t count, as the graphic specifically refers to music consumption. I would understand it a lot more if talk/news were included.

I fall into the 45-54 group, and I would have expected that category to own lots of recordings, as we came of age in an era when recorded music was plentiful and relatively inexpensive (although probably more expensive than today, I think, when you adjust for inflation). Perhaps we are all listening to classic rock stations on our way to and from work, and spend more time commuting than in our homes listening to music?

Interestingly, my son (who strictly speaking falls a year short of the 16-24 category) doesn’t fit his demographic either, as he doesn’t listen to the online streaming music at all, and probably defaults more to his own stuff, and slightly less to the radio than these stats suggest.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – hee hee hee, I really love that song. Thanks for the re-post 😀

@whisht – Diggy Diggy Hole is something to do with Minecraft (I have absolutely no idea what Minecraft is :?)

Here’s a link to the original version which, IMO, isn’t as infuriatingly catchy as the one previously posted.

http://minecraft-music.wikia.com/wiki/Diggy_Diggy_Hole

Whisht @whisht

ahhh…. Minecraft. Cheers Fatmaninabox.

Well, its Friday, which means its Fish Friday and that means another silly yet quite groovy fish song.

Some people of a certain age will smile hearing some of the voices in this one!

Hope you’ve all had/having a lovely fish supper*

😉

*unless you’re vegans.

Anonymous @

@whisht thank you sir -I did notice all the voices. But the syncopation was so weird that I actually felt sick. Then I thought, sea sick. It’s supposed to be there. It’s really subtle though.

Whisht @whisht

ah @purofilion – you may be giving Mr Scruff too much credit.

Then again I may be giving him too little.

Music’s great innit?

🙂

(btw as earworms go “there’s a whale, there’s a whale, there’s a whale-fish she cried and the whale was in full view; whale fish whale fish whale fish…” is as lovely as Diggy Diggy Hole!)

Anonymous @

@whisht blimey you still  up and about at this hour? I should be getting out of bed and giving the young lad a hug. In soccer, life is a bit miserable; the other players who are a good year older, don’t damn well pass the ball. They hold onto it for glory or something; the coach says nothing. Here’s the thing: we pay $1000 per season plus $10 per match and the coach is an ‘enthusiastic parent’ who places his son on the field for the whole match while boyIlion sits on the side. Boy, I need a song for this: the film, Misery, might apply. That’s all I have though. Sorry for the rant. Random, is the word, I guess. Cheers to you n’ all!

Anonymous @

yep sorry mods I’ll be moderated off this thread in a mo. Apologies. Ducks.

Whisht @whisht

btw – if anyone’s interested….
    Guy Garvey the lead singer of beat combo Elbow was on Desert Island Discs this week.

Its a lovely, touching, amusing interview; it doesn’t get too deep, is pretty superficial, but shows his warmth and is quite touching in his obvious love for family and friends.

Also he has a rather wonderful choice in music (which “isn’t his favourite stuff” which I was also meant to say about that ramble but I edited out.. but you just can’t have ‘favourite stuff’ – its silly – but you can have songs which resonate with stories and memories, and the ones he chose are some of them for him).

He chose this piece by Talk Talk as his one piece he’d rescue from the waves if he had to.
    Its great and made me listen to that album again as I tend to go to Spirit of Eden as a standout album (and one I annoy neighbours on when playing harmonica badly while listening to it on headphones – honestly even if I was any good it’d sound odd – little parps of sound with sudden trilling).

A touching story went with the piece below and reminded me of a childhood heartache, but basically its a lovely 30mins of radio (talk radio? music radio?) that I think will make you feel better for it (especially if you know who Madness or Timothy Spall are).

Anonymous @

yeah, Desert Island Discs. Great show -from what I’ve heard.

In Oz, on our National Classical Music Station we have a great interviewer, Margaret Throsby who, for over 20 years, has been doing something similar. She interviews interesting people but not necessarily musicians – Ken Brannagh was a good interview many years ago as are/were various English pollies. They choose 8 of their most memorable pieces -not  just favs but those which have significance/connection to an event. I imagine same as Desert Isl Discs ‘style’. I think we can buy some of these interviews with say, Mike Parkinson, Meg Ryan (that famous interview with Parky and Ryan -Ryan acting the total movie celeb with angst and cockiness thrown in the mix) & others. Also, I reckon they’re available on the ABC website. The same goes for Desert Isl Discs @whisht  ?

I was given Spirit of Eden by my brother some while ago. He’s pretty eclectic and generally prefers instrumental only. Kindest, purofilion.

Whisht @whisht

ha ha! Hi @Purofilion – yep still up thanks!

hmm, songs for lads-on-the-bench-but-should-be-playing.

I’ve nothing that springs to mind! However, that may be as I never made the bench…. oh hold on

Now this is only because it mentions the bench, nothing else.
    Oh and also as its an effing excellent song.

But yeah, coach doing it as its their son they’re doing it for – same the world all over.
    My brother has a similar tale where a player he played with who was ‘a bit good’ got a call up to a league team and the coach (the kid’s dad) immediately left and the whole non-league team my brother was in folded.

But y’know, fuckit – my brother was still playing at 50 and making kids half his age look silly in midfield on a Wednesday and most importantly enjoying every fucking minute of it.

Not sure how that helps a 15 year old though. I’m not the sporty one in my family, though I suppose thinking about it, some of the key lessons I got from my parents were:

“fuck ’em” (though never quite couched in these terms there was a sense of “whothefuckareyoutotellmewhatthefuckaboutanything-buti’llholdmytongue”
    and
    “as long as you’re doing something you enjoy”.

My mum didn’t swear.

Anonymous @

@whisht well, talk about memories. A uni friend, when I was 22, introduced me to Billy Bragg and then, having a stuck up attitude, I didn’t like him.

Later though, I started to get interested -via the above mentioned brother – so much so that at uni with the orchestra, I arranged that song (Saturday Boy) for them with the vocals played by a sax. The tempo was less Andante and more ‘faster walking pace’ with a few percussive drums added in the middle eight and some dude throwing out some soccer lines -a la paradise by the dashboard light and other songs which use baseball/cricket/soccer/rugby voice-overs. It worked really well and we got a good ovation.

Took forever to make the ‘interlude’ with the drama fella shouting out lines: “you tosser, you deserve a red card; hey ref, what you bleedin’ doin’; pissed are ya?” – that kind of thing. I haven’t heard it in a while so a terrific memory; a great vocalist and lyricist. Doesn’t take himself that seriously which I admire, as lately, most singers do- though never from that part of the UK!

As for the advice above, thank you. It’s good your brother was able to say later “piss on that” and ‘move on’. I shall pass it on! In my family, I am the hearty swearer.  RESPECT. Kindest and ta, puro

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht    That hilarious track took me straight back to childhood, when my sister and I used to listen to “Greenland Whale Fisheries” on a children’s album by the Weavers. We used to sing “Where there’s ice and snow and the jelly fishes blow” with great hilarity.

I love Billy Bragg. That’s all.

@purofilion   $1000? A season?? Seriously???  And for this you don’t get a professional coach and a reasonably run team? OMG. I will never complain again about my son’s club and their issues. We don’t get proper coaches either, but we don’t pay more than $300 unless its an elite team, so we don’t have high expectations. My son plays several sports and has had loads of coaches, and has moved between being treated like a future all-star to being virtually ignored. As @whisht says, I imagine it’s universal. (My son was passed up a couple of years ago for the all-star baseball team, even with a strong recommendation from his coach, because of club politics. We were all livid about this for quite awhile; until he found out from a team mate who did make the team that, because the coach had overlooked a lot of good players in choosing his own favourites, the team ended up doing very poorly. Bad karma!)

Seriously, I don’t think anyone moderates this thread. It’s like having most of the plane to yourself, because it’s flying somewhere that most people aren’t interested in going.  🙂 But just in case, I will give you this little number that I’ve always enjoyed, because I sucked at sports. It’s not exactly on topic, but it has kids and sport, and makes me smile. (I think we actually had a couple of moments like that on my son’s baseball team this past spring, actually.)

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion    Glancing over what I just posted, I realize that I was on “Doctor Who” form after all! Very Tenth Doctor. “What? What?? WHAT????”   🙂   Or is that Six?  “One thousand?  One thousand??  ONE THOUSAND???”   Hee, hee, hee. It’s been a long hot day, time for a beer I think.

Arbutus @arbutus

After reading @wolfweed‘s comment on “Planet of the Dead”, regarding the crazy guy sitting next to you on the bus, I was reminded of this song. Does anyone else remember Weird Al Yankovic’s first hit?

Anonymous @

@arbutus  I know a teeny bit about ol’ Al, but certainly not this!  It’s great. I love the “way oh waaay oh’ at 2 mins.  Reminds me of workday students everywhere , smelly, pimply, mean (throwing kids’ lunch boxes off the bus a la Jodi Picoult in Seventeen Minutes)and other weirdness. This was his first hit? Not bad. Kindest, p.

Anonymous @

well, hope this leads you to Scala’s version of Radiohead’s Creep. Kindest, puro.

Anonymous @

at all:    sorry about the f bomb but in concert and on the cover of the advertised film The Social Network it catapulted Scala and the Kolacny Brothers into a bit of stardom. I remember someone mentioned Radiohead not long ago. Coulda been @phaseshift or @whisht or @thekrynoidman.

Anyway, not to everyone’s taste but some of their versions of U2, Abba (dare I say their name in our hallowed halls?); Nirvana and Chrissy Amphlett’s  ‘I Touch Myself’ are remarkable IMHO.

Whisht @whisht

thanks for that Creep.

I mean, thanks for that @Purofilion 😉

I think its fine if a choir swears. In fact, I now want the The Hilliard Ensemble to sing Nick Cave’s profane version of Stagger Lee.

And in terms of Radiohead, I think I’ve been mentioning them quite a bit recently!
    Its just that after trying to not listen to them too much, there’s just been some good reasons to!

And what’s the matter with Abba? They’re amazing (though if they swore I think there’d be an outcry!).

Anonymous @

@whisht  no, I luurve Abba! Not all people do though. In Oz, about a year ago, we had various hosts of great music quiz shows being interviewed about their first music loves, first concerts and vinyls. They admitted to screaming at Abba at the airport, & out front of hotels.

My first record was theirs, from ma and pa: where they’re posed in front of a helicopter?

I have some form of morning dementia brought on by the two films I saw yesterday: And so it Goes; A Most Wanted Man.

The score for the former was terrific -Diane Keaton and all. I’m not into sentimental romance/comedies (I know I know, should be less of a cynic and just ‘enjoy’) but actually, Mike Douglas was great.

Then, Philip Seymour Hoffman in the Le Carre -the last role before he died. Amazing performance, but then, since The Day of the Doctor,  I haven’t seen a film! -must rectify 🙂

So, yes, Radiohead, always great stuff and Scala does an interesting job of Nirvana’s ‘..Teen Spirit’, too.

Hilliard Ensemble profane? Wash. out. your. mouth. you. naughty  😉

Slap!!, purodidlion

Anonymous @

I’ve passed another 2 modules on my Horticulture course 😀 – Nursery care (potting/re-potting plants/watering of plants) and Tree Identification so here’s a couple of ‘on topic’ tracks, both by Pulp.

Right, time for bed. Nighty night everybody. zzz zzz zzz

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion     Great Scala performance, I love to see a good choir take on rock and make it in their own image. And like you and @whisht, I quite like Abba. Never owned anything of theirs, but they were so omnipresent in my youth that I can sing loads of their songs.

And I’m sure we could have something a little earthy from Hilliard, especially if they turned their attention to something like this. No F-bombs, but not exactly G-rated subject matter! Or this, a little less direct but spicy nonetheless! (The poster provides a translation below.)

Arbutus @arbutus
    Anonymous @

@arbutus yes, an M rated Hilliard I could bear -I think!  As for your mum-in-law attending next weekend -could you invite her to watch The Doctor?? Or would this be smirked at? Watching it on catch up TV is the next best thing I guess.

I’ve already arranged that the phones be locked in the garage -the landline hasn’t worked since the Lightning Attack Of November 2013. That custard be ready. A student from school gave me another TARDIS mug; it’s really a huge vessel. That will be ready. The scarves be ready and….marshmallows…pink ones, I believe. What-oh!

@fatmaninabox boy-oh boy they are movin’ you along at a huge pace. I remember being taught to pot plants in hot places like QLD and the idea was to dig a hole (diggy  hole 🙂 , pop in some fertiliser (slow release) and then before the plant goes in, sprinkle 2 tbp of water in as the first watering won’t penetrate the ground. The thinner the soil in QLD, the better; thicker soils tend to turn to mud or cause ‘wet feet’ and then you get tell-tale yellow leaves. Anyway, why am I tellin’ you this: you know already!

Kindest and best of luck for other modules, purodidlion.

Whisht @whisht

@fatmaninabox – excellent news!

Hopefully you didn’t resist the urge to say:
    “ah – I can now see the trees! but where is the wood..?”

oh, you did resist?
    I’ll get my coat…

😉

Whisht @whisht

@arbutus – enjoyed the absolutely disgusting Watkins Ale (hold on, that sounds wrong…).
    However, am I missing something about el Grilos? Now, I’ll admit that I have a mind that loves a pun and innuendo, but I’m a little flummaxed.
    And a bit in awe of your professional-level innuendo skillz.

🙂

Though it reminded me of this which, though not a favourite or anything, made me wonder if I’m missing an obvious connection to crickets!

Anonymous @

Oh @arbutus subudubaduba   that Josquin nearly killed me. The pace on that thaaang! Whoo.

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

One of my favourite Kinks tracks

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht    Re: El Grillo, I guess it depends on how you define “singing” in that particular case.   😈  But your cricket track was definitely edgier than mine!

@thekrynoidman   My love for the Kinks has probably become apparent to everyone on here by now.  🙂  I enjoyed that live version of “Celluloid Heroes”. Extended instrumentals are one of the joys of live performances!

@arbutus It seems that we share a love of The Kinks.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

How time flies. Gary Numan released Cars 35 years ago today!

As it’s the big event tomorrow, I’ve decided to create a new theme, songs with the word tomorrow in the title.

Whisht @whisht

Ok @thekrynoidman – I’ll bite.

Really glad you didn’t start with the obvious one(s)!

This though is a bit obvious, and his lyrics are typically overwrought, but it might raise a few brows/smiles as people try to contort Doctor Who and the lyrics from this!*
    [Bonus – contains added Johnny Marr]

* though I did like:
    “I’ve been filled with useless information
    Spewed out by papers and radio stations…”

Anonymous @

@thekrynoidman – I’ll bite too. I was going to post Fleetwood Mac’s version but this one seemed more appropriate.

And don’t forget kids, you can redeem your Barrowman CDs & DVDs for entry into the Doctor Who Experience 😀

Arbutus @arbutus

Well played, @fatmaninabox! (And by the way, that modern New Wave music will never last!)

My “tomorrow track” requires the TARDIS to take us back to the 1920’s, when some of the greatest music ever was being made. There we can listen to jazz cornettist Bix Beiderbecke’s “Take Your Tomorrow”.

Whisht @whisht

@fatmaninabox – “Cars” was 35 years ago???!??
    holy cow!
    Surprisingly(?) my 8 year old ears completely accepted it at the time, without thinking it was weird or anything. Its funny that at the time and later on it was seen as a seminal moment.

And ohhh Barrowman! My ears! My eyes!

@arbutus – niiiiiiiiiiice

and @thekrynoidman – forgot to say I like the Pulp track, not heard that one before.

@whisht It’s actually a rejected theme for the Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies that was released as the b-side to Help the Aged. The original version with Jarvis Cocker singing “Tomorrow never Dies” is included a bonus track on the deluxe edition of This is Hardcore.

Anyway here’s Maybe Tomorrow by The Iveys, or as they later became known as, Badfinger.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Just because no one has posted it yet. And we have an unknown quantity in a new Doctor.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

And just in case you didn’t know this. The Chemical Brothers completely ripped off ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ when they worked with Noel Gallagher. I know, Noel Gallagher and a Beatles rip-off. Who’dve thunk it? Supposedly the working title was ‘Tomorrow Never Noels’ (so I guess it kinda fits).

Anonymous @
    Anonymous @

sorry but I’ve always loved the end when they hop in the car and say “will you ever stop them?”. They shake their head.

The camera which begins with an inspiring song then tracks down to his swastika. Horrible, but well done.

kindest, puro

Whisht @whisht

btw… @wolfweed – you did an important service with that tip about Kate Bush being on BBC4.
    Thank you!
    It took this to remind me just how incredible she is.

The Man with the Child in his Eyes – written at 13??!? 14??!!
    Recorded at 16/ 17???!??!??!

ffs.

And its also made me go on a mazy skip around youtube listening to some of her other outstanding songs (notably A Woman’s Work, Don’t Give Up and Rocket’s Tail).

thank you!

@craig Here’s a pretty good cover version of Tomorrow Never Knows from the soundtrack of the film Sucker Punch. Not seen the film, it’s supposed to be rubbish from what I’m told, although I heard that it’s developed something of a cult following.

This is Jeff Lynne from an obscure 80’s film called Electric Dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWYQcimjUEQ

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 1,009 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 2’ is closed to new replies.