General Music thread 3

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 3

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 5 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

We have a new music thread. I have been neglecting housekeeping in the last few weeks. For which I apologise. I will start the new music thread off with a bit of a modern masterpiece (which I may well have posted before – but it’s worth listening to more than once).

The previous music thread can be found here:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/general-music-thread-2/

Craig @craig
    Emperor

And just to be a bit bonkers, I first heard this on Twitter a couple of weeks ago.

The Who theme done in the style of Jean Michel Jarre – it’s actually quite good.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I’ve been watching a US series called Mr. Robot. It’s more than a little weird to the point that I’ve watched the series finale tonight and couldn’t tell you if I’d recommend it or not.

It had some great music though. The penultimate epidode had a really engaging piano piece that haunted me for most of the week. Because I recognised it as something I’d heard before. But not quite. A bit of research and here is my relaxing Sunday morning tune:

Here is the not so relaxing original:

For no other reason than that this is The Pixies. Surely the most bizarre and intersting US band of the 80s? I will accept challenges to this point. Within reason.

Whisht @whisht

@craig – ah, a new home (this thread is 3! awww its so cute!)

Now, I’ll be honest and thought “oh, not Morricone again. Maybe I’ll get around to listening…”

and then I did listen.

And its effing awesome!

;¬D

Honestly its impossible to hear that and not have a racing heart and a hoooooge smile!
    btw the titles at the end are Deborah’s Theme from Once Upon A Time in America – absolutely gorgeous (both film and music – kinda shmaltzy in the right way as its about childhood love and memory).

{sigh}

and that jarre Who track is….. bloody great!!

@phaseshift
    That’s a lovely cover version of the Pixies!
    Really proves they weren’t as limited as Frank Black once said they were (I guess he was being tongue in cheek when he said “we weren’t very good – so we just went very quiet then very loud; slow then fast” [my recollection of an interview rather than direct quote])

Reminded me that I was going to see if people wanted to post their favourite covers (or most unusual) or even the versions they didn’t realise were covers.

“The most bizarre and interesting US band of the 80s”
    ohhh…. well yes! 🙂
    Y’know my initial reaction was “oh but what about… {so-and-so}?” and I studiously went through my collection (regressing ever-deeper into muso soup with every click).
    Sure, we’ve got other stuff, but y’know they aren’t actually as bizarrely popular or interesting as the Pixies.

In terms of 80’s, I don’t want to link to another Pixies track so (after you’ve prompted me to go through my collection) here’s something from Sonic Youth (from what I think is their best album) and something from the Beastie Boys (who’s evolution from punk to hip hop to …. rock-rap or whatever the genre is was quite interesting)

Anonymous @

@ichabod

the statement on The Sofa about music was interesting: but I’ve moved over to this thread. I believe that Cage and others stimulated the rise of chamber music and even symphonic groups which drove the idea of “music by numbers” into a different stratosphere.

Whilst using pure maths to gain some ‘idea’ of ‘new music’ appeared to stall, it continued with some power -and it did so because other fields or endeavours within music gained greater audience appeal: using rhythmic structures to create new tonal balance, for instance. Minimalism is one such area that is still growing. Whilst Cage was a devotee of minimalist approaches, Riley and Reich were at the forefront of newer, wilder exhibitions of this style.

Australian composers in particular stayed very much within Cage’s symphonic appeal: Colin Brumby, Allan Zavrod and Robert Davidson to name a few.

Others from different countries continued to interest audiences at a symphonic level: Arvo Part and the wonderful music entitled Einstein at the Beach and Laquiem: tales from the mourning of the lac women are two beautiful pieces (although not by Part himself)

Kindest, Puro.

Anonymous @

@ichabod

Nigel Westlake’s music is very appealing. He started life as a music by numbers composer and still devotes much of his compositional style to this meticulous approach. In Missa Solis this comes together rather well

Arbutus @arbutus

@ichabod

Less erudite than Puro’s selection above, but lots of soul! And the theme of absolutely loads of music drama in a nutshell.  🙂

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

@whisht There can never be enough Morricone.

Anyway here’s the best theme tune ever

ichabod @ichabod

So much good stuff here — !  Happy to have it.  Now I’d like to request any funny/macabre music you’ve got handy — my sister, who lives nearby and is turning 60 in a few weeks, had a coronary event in the early hours of this morning.  She’s okay — in hospital, with a stent, probably going home tomorrow with a stent, meantime wise-cracking the staff into hysterics to keep herself entertained.  I can’t exactly bring her chocolates, but I thought some music might be nice if I can get it off my computer and onto my iPod for her.

Anonymous @

Here comes Who. “Outside there’s a Boxcar waiting”.

Anonymous @

@ichabod

I’m sorry, I hadn’t heard about your sister! I hope she is as well as possible as soon as possible. I thought I’d add this Mompou piece: deft and delicate and there are plenty others on you tube not restricted to keyboard.

@barnable I love that piece above. Thank you: I’d never heard it before either!

ichabod @ichabod

@Purofilion  @Barnable   Thanks!  Good, good stuff . . .

My sister’s doing well.  The hospital is only a few blocks away, and I spent the afternoon there with her, cracking up each other and the nurses.  I think she’ll be going home in a day or two; then we start the re-orientation of her eating habits etc., and probably mine too since we two seem to have many of the same weak spots.  We’re just very very lucky that the typical jaw and left-arm pain woke her up, and the EMT’s got her to the hospital very fast: it was 4:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning, no traffic on the 30 mile stretch they had to cover.

Thanks for your good wishes!

@ichabod Glad to hear your sister is okay.

ichabod @ichabod

@thekrynoidman  Thanks — it amazes me that they’re talking about sending her home after two days and one night — but glad she’s smart and tough, and will probably be all right.  Nothing like a good sound kick in the butt as a wake-up call to fix your bad habits . . . mine too, I hope!

One of the most cheerful pieces of music ever

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@ichabod – glad to hear that your sister is doing well. Stents are pretty amazing things, especially since they really do usually reduce the hospital stay to a day or two.

One guy I know was even able to come home that same evening – though that might have had something to do with his wife being a qualified nurse!

ichabod @ichabod

@thecrynoidman  Thanks for the Orff!  A bouncy start to the day, much appreciated!

You’re welcome @ichabod

Arbutus @arbutus

@ichabod    So sorry to hear about your sister, and glad that she is doing well. Here is some upbeat faux renaissance music.

Mudlark @mudlark

@ichabod   I’m sorry to learn about your sister, and glad to know that she is bouncing back in fine style.  As @bluesqueakpip says and I can testify personally, stents are wonderful.  I had one installed three years ago, after I started having angina attacks, and have had no problems since then in the cardiac department, even if I am crumbling gently in other areas.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@ichabod. I haven’t been looking at the Music thread recently, and so only just learned about you sister. To aid her swift recovery (as I am sure it will be) below is my candidate for the most cheery and fun music (for a cheery and fun movie) that I know. I could only find the music attached to the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIiCtxXtVXY

ichabod @ichabod

@blenkinsopthebrave  Thanks, lovely!  We loved those UK comedy films when I was a kid.  Bringing it back . . .

Whisht @whisht

So – The Magician’s Apprentice!

I was going to try and find some magical music, but instead I’ll simply link to a track heard in the background of the cantina Maldovarium (and far better than trad-space-jazz)

I’m happy to entertain any bonkers theories about why they went for this one, as Cave has many others that are far more ‘menacing’, so maybe its for what happens in this two parter… or arc…

“O father tell me, are you weeping?
    Your face seems wet to touch
    O then I’m so sorry, father
    I never thought I hurt you so much

This is a weeping song
    A song in which to weep
    While we rock ourselves to sleep
    This is a weeping song”

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht <big wave>

Thanks so much for posting, so poignant (especially since he lost his son earlier this year). Yes interesting choice for the scene. Do we pick up on “weeping” or fathers and sons…?

Meanwhile this is my one of my all time fave Cave songs – for Missy and Davros…?

“it’s not that in their hearts they’re bad…”

Oh, and it’s Nick’s birthday today

Anonymous @

@geoffers

It’s all Coming Back to me Now

There’s really only one voice that sings it like this. Even though he’s probably past it!

Anonymous @

@whisht @scaryb

Thank you for those wonderful contributions. After 3 viewings, I’m terribly embarrassed to admit I didn’t recognise The Weeping Song <<*|*>> !!  Even now, there’s 4 seconds at most -generally the tidy orchestration continues the theme for a further ….2 seconds and that’s all!

Well recognised I gotta say.

I know I said I hated the guitar bit in last week’s episode, but it does give an excuse to post this

Anonymous @

The Doctor can’t decide to leave or rescue Davros. TennDoc’s – The Magician’s Apprentice!

Mudlark @mudlark

@thekrynoidman   Thanks for the reminder.  I came across that amazing session a few years ago when it was featured on, I think, the Sky Arts channel.  There can seldom, if ever, have been such a backing line-up, and The Boss, in particular, was clearly having a ball!

geoffers @geoffers

<span class=”useratname”>@purofilion</span>

have never been a meatloaf fan, but he does sound a wee bit past his prime there. so sad when a singer begins that slide toward being obsolete. the young lady sounds much better, but i have no idea who she is. i’m more familiar with celine’s version, but i’m not a fan of her, either. i’m more a kate bush/tori amos guy. maybe if harry connick jr. covered this song, it would resonate with me a bit?

but it’s a big ol’ world of music, i’m just in a different hemisphere, i reckon!

🙂

Anonymous @

@geoffers

many yrs ago, I absolutely hated The Great Meat! Some while ago, I had occasion to reorchestrate some his songs for a benefit at work and I must admit, he turned my head a bit -particularly with the clever Paradise By the Dashboard Light.

His voice was true rockaboy during those years and some of the lyrics were terrific. But there’s a time for many a vocalist to put away their mic and sit and listen to something else. Oz had him here to open the footy two years ago, and frankly it was an embarrassment. He came away a million dollars richer, though. That part of music annoys me -the amount of hard cash sport attracts when combined with music

Anonymous @

@geoffers that was Marion Raven -an unparalleled voice at that time.  Still is.

Anonymous @

@thekrynoidman

Orff’s comp was written by his colleague in the Shulwerk, Keetman (but I can never spell his name correctly!).

Interestingly, being based on a 500 year old tune it’s laced with 4ths, 3rds, 6ths, to make one large repeated chord which is why it gives us that ‘cheery’ feeling. if you find one note in the whole score, and sing that one note along with the beat and in a similar rhythm, it fits with every other tone and never sounds ‘wrong’. Endless harmonies of 1000s of people have used this in repetition for hours using the net to connect the various groups. It’s great fun.

@fowl Ah yes, the Clash

Meisiluosi @meisiluosi

Xie Tian Xiao.

(Some pretty cool music happens in Mainland China. And still I get those dumb, blank stares and “Such a thing exists?” when I say I listen to Chinese rock.)

Anonymous @

The Doctor sent Missy CD player (of Rassilon). 

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

You know, Sonic Youth were always a band I thought I ought to like, but never really did that much. The Beastie Boys on the other hand were a band I disliked intensly when I heard their first few singles but grew to love as they went onto things like Sabotage. Funny old world.

I liked a ot of that period of rock\rap experimentation. Stuff like Anthrax and Public Enemy teaming up.

Thought of this one after just watching the Magician’s Apprentice with it’s battle scenes. Still a fine song this, and remarkable video

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht @scaryb @purofilion

Funnily enough Nick Cave is a Doctor Who fan. He took his family (including the son that died earlier this year) to the Science Museum premiere of Voyage of the Damned after old friend Kylie got them on the guest list. As we all know, Australia has a history with the show second only to the UK. I hope the use of his work is a minor comfort.

I was thinking about the Doctors “last will and testament”. It can’t be his last will can it. Perhaps it’s his second to last will and testament. Only a rough draft. A handwritten estimate.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift

Thank you for the info about Nick Cave -I did not know that.

A coincidence-and-a-bit that when trawling the net for the group The Models, I came across Faith No More.

(not that the models lasted -for various reasons, and some quite sad)

@thekrynoidman I always thought that Pet Sounds was one of the best albums ever: in my top 10 including Revolver, Sgt Peppers and My Generation…

@purofilion Pet Sounds is indeed a great work of art.

Speaking of the Beach Boys, here’s some studio footage of the recording of Good Vibrations.

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift – thanks for the additional info. And laughed at the CUSM video. here’s hoping!

Thanks also to @thekrynoidman – loving your Beach Boys posts. Great band

Whisht @whisht

@ichabod – I just wanted to say I hope your sister is doing ok.
    I missed the opportunity when you mentioned what was happening for you, to link some music.
    However maybe that was lucky as you’d asked for “I’d like to request any funny/macabre music you’ve got handy”.

Now I can sometimes have a pretty dark humour and…. well, maybe it would be amusing… but maybe not.

;¬)

So, now is a different time and as others have done I’ll simply link to some fun choons.
    I’m positive I’ve linked to this jaunty, cheeky, light-hearted tune before, and I’m sure I’ve linked to this (but I’m not sure) but it raises a smile (with me) every time I hear it:

Whisht @whisht

@phaseshift – I completely agree with you. With Sonic Youth I always feel like I *should* like them (more than I usually do) though for every album there’s usually one or two fantastic tracks.
    Same with Beastie Boys – at first I thought how dumb/crude (VW signs on neck chains etc etc). Then….. well the more I heard the more I liked. And they seem to have been always evolving (and such a shame about their own tragedy).
    I had (have?!? hmmm, yep probably still….) a huge snobbishnes with music that does me no good at all. Luckily the older I get the less its a problem but still – so much silliness for denying my listening pleasure in the past (and listening to stuff I thought I ‘should’ like instead).

For most bands during the 80’s and 90’s, I tended to be behind the first wave of appreciation, only getting into them years later. Same is true today.

I hadn’t known Cave was a Who fan and though I knew many here like me must be, when I heard of his tragic loss I just couldn’t link to anything here.
    At the time it just felt ‘wrong’ unlike when the performer themselves pass away. Almost certainly weird ‘standards’ on my part but there you go.
    Beautiful track I’ve not heard before @scaryb – thanks for that. [hugs back]

Liked the CUSM – where has all the fun dancey CUSM/ Wonderstuff/ (CUD!)/ Supergrass etc gone???!!??

and your mention of testament made me think of this (which I’m also sure I’ve posted before so apologies)

@meisiluosi – ineteresting Chinese rock track – thanks! I really like when other musical cultures take on another culture’s music. Hence me linking to the Ethiopian track earlier. For me its really interesting to hear how their orchestration takes something and translates it through their own instruments and traditions. For some things I actually hear the ‘original’ slightly differently afterwards.

ichabod @ichabod

@whisht   Thanks for that, good lively sound — always welcome!  Sister is okay, and has been scared into changing her (culinary) ways, so I may get to have her company a lot longer!  Thank goodness, and thanks for your good wishes.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@phaseshift and @juniperfish

Well, if we’re going to have ‘Doctor Who: The Musical’, then we must, absolutely must, have a cover of this song by the Simm Master’s favourite band.

Come to think of it, that song may have been in his thoughts when he regenerated as Missy… 😉

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

At the time it just felt ‘wrong’ unlike when the performer themselves pass away. Almost certainly weird ‘standards’ on my part but there you go

I understand that completely, I think. If an artist dies you’re celebrating their acheivements. A virtual wake. Something like the loss of a child though? 🙁

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

Absolutely brilliant! 😀

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 1,017 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 3’ is closed to new replies.