General Music thread 3

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 3

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    Whisht @whisht

… and since I’ve actually managed to log in(!) here’s a song about looking forward to the future and about people who had/ have it far worse than most people (certainly me).

and its a great song.

lisa @lisa

@whisht

YUGE Tom Waits fan!  Thanks !  Here’s 1 of my favs for you

Barnable @trump

Thanks @whisht for the Christmas-y boost!!

FINALLY It’s Christmas Time – The Doctor Returns tonight,

Whisht @whisht

Hi all – finally managed to log in and just wanted to wish you all a very merry xmas.
    Thanks for your thoughts when I over-shared before (was feeling a little sorry for myself).

However, I’m actually incredibly lucky and others have it far worse.

It does seem that this xmas is a bit ‘flat’ for a variety of people here, so I’ve been looking for something that will raise a smile. Barnable has already helped out with some more Vince Guaraldi/ Charlie Brown so I’ve gone through what I have and realised I don’t have much ‘fun’ music!

;¬)

Anyway, here goes.

Merry Xmas all, and happy cakewalking

Whisht @whisht

So, The Return of Doctor Mysterioso (what will the title be translated into in Mexico I wonder?) had at least one moment of Superman (Christopher Reeve era) refrain in it, so I assume there were lots of others.

Obviously the xmas special has given me (us??) the challenge of an appropriate song.

Though O Superman is obvious, and even something from the Flaming Lips, I think I’ve done those before, so here’s a bit of rock-funk (is that a genre? if not its descriptive I hope) from Funkadelic.

I’ll leave you to think who is the most Super Stupid

Craig @craig
    Emperor

So I was kinda more upset by the death of Debbie Reynolds than I was by her daughter Carrie Fisher, even although both are a great loss. I’m not that much of a ‘Star Wars’ fan, but ‘Singing In The Rain’ is a genuine masterpiece and I can’t believe she was only 19 when she made it (same age Carrie was in the first ‘Star Wars’ movie). What a superstar she was. If you’ve never seen ‘Singing In The Rain’ because it’s a musical, because it’s old, or whatever, do yourself a favour and watch it. It is an eternal classic.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig Thanks for posting that wonderful clip from a truly brilliant movie. One tends to forget how incredibly spectacular old Hollywood could be.

It was particularly welcome, as I am in the depths of a really bad winter cold, so seeing this first thing after I emerged from under the blankets cheered me up immensely.

Many thanks.

Whisht @whisht

Hi all – its New Year’s Eve and I’m hoping next year is better than this one.
    I guess Bowie leaving early last January should’ve warned us that the rest of the year was one to miss.

We had a lot of anger across the world in 2016, and here’s a song that kinda sums up a lot of thoughts I’ve had (and maybe others here). Its a gentler more mature live version.
    Anger fuelled a lot of change. But I’m not sure it was the positive/ creative change Lydon had in mind when he rightly said that “Anger is an energy”.

So what can Love change? Not sure, but I’m willing to find out.

Now that song feels a little ‘serious’ so here’s one we’ve had before. However for the fun of custard pies and kids, and the truth of the lyrics, not a bad pick-me-up

I truly hope you all have a wonderful year, and that when the inevitable shit happens, we remember that:

We’re weaker divided
    Let friendship double up our powers

Happy New Year everyone.

Whisht @whisht

Ooops – looks like I didn’t make myself clear (yeah, new year, nothing changes ;¬) )

So ( @pedant @missy @thane15 ), what I meant to say was that there’s a common misconception (or at least its my perception that there’s a common misconception – you can never be too sure in this post-Truth world just what is going on) that Londoners are ‘rude’.

Mainly held (I think) by people who don’t live in London. By people who live in smaller towns who know everyone (or at least knows someone who will know you). So seeing someone ‘new’ is a moment of delight or suspicion (depending on their outlook).
    Whereas in London you may not know your next door neighbour, and certainly not the fella walking down the street I’ve-never-seen-before-looks-big-or-shifty-or-will-ask-me-for-money.

Me – I’ve been here a little over 20 years (nearly half my life) and have experienced the best and the worst from people here. And I think I’ve had more of the best of humanity than the worst.

So – yes there’s less eye contact than in smaller towns but sometimes that’s a blessing (oi-you-nosey-neighbour-that’s-my-business-you-naff-orf).
    Though the best advice I ever got for travelling was from the Thorn Tree forum (run by Lonely Planet) by a commenter who said to walk around with your eyes up. Look people in the eye, smile look at the buildings/ mountains/ stuff that isn’t pavement. A brilliant piece of advice just before I went to Rio and on day one walked out of my hotel and clocked the guy cycling slowly round in circles on the beach road. Yep. Nod and a smile. You’ll be a thief then. He nonchalantly cycled away. (I’ve lived near Dalston for most of my time in London and know that cycling technique).
    Next day I see him cycling away from someone he’s robbed. {sigh}.

Anyway, maybe I do better communicating via the medium of dance music.
    These are a tad obvious but there ya go – others will have more imagination. :¬)

This is for anyone who’s moved into London (have most actually moved here rather than born here?). Especially if you’ve little money and need somewhere (anywhere) to put a roof over your head.
    My first place in London was a pretty bad shared place (padlock on the outside of your bedroom is not a good sign) in Turnpike Lane up near Manor House.
    A few years later I looked at a place in Mile End and though not as bad as this great song by Pulp, however the pub nearby made me tremble when I saw the viscous hateful racist misogynistic graffiti in its loo.
    Me and my mate left sharpish and found a place elsewhere!

But here is the a beautiful ode to love and London (and I make no bones for choosing such an obvious song – I’ll let others find more interesting ones!)

Blimey! That was a longer post than I intended, and certainly for the Music thread.

ah well….

@whisht

Second time to tell this story this week: When The Kinks reformed in c1977 me and some mates went to see them in St Albans (about £3 each iirc). A good gig in the days when bands felt no obligation to either start or finish on time. After about 40 mins, during which there had been a constant stream of calls for Waterloo Sunset, Ray Davis said “Look, we really don’t do Waterloo Sunset anymore.” He was sincere – this was no playing to the crowd. But still the cries went on. Eventually he said: “Ok, OK. But only one verse.” It had – manifestly – not been rehearsed for a while, but they still played the whole damned song and had the crowd easily for the rest of the night.

Also, I lived just off Bow Road at the back end of the 90s. During my 2 years there, Mile End Tube and environs had 4 murders…

Yep – London can be alienating but it doesn’t have to be.

@all

And this is the necessary counterpoint to Waterloo Sunset’s romanticism:

Viewer discretion advised.

Anonymous @

@pedant

OMG! What a SONG!

And they gave us the lyrics so I could sing along! Mum is gonna LOVE this. Dad, well, not so much 🙂

It’s true: “mind the gap” why the flip do they say this all the time for 3o something years? Like we’re all gonna get our foot stuck once a day -providing the trains actually arrive!

Apologies for vomit splurge (post splurge -is what you or maybe Mum calls it) but I had to clap my hands. Where do you find this volcanically awesome stuff?

Aaaand I got a ‘C’ in English. I cannot understand it. I was an ‘A’ once. My god. Mind you there were word limits. 🙂

@whisht amazing story -wow! Padlock on your room? I guess keys wouldn’t work …or….?

I didn’t want to smile at anyone. Dad went to see some mates and my 2nd cousin said “let’s go ice-skating” and hey, good.

Got there and it was this awful venue. With weird people wearing hoods whilst ice-skating. My cousin saw a group of fellas below who were combing their hair. I said “….don’t” and he did. He wolf whistled.

They turned ’round with angry faces saying “innit, wot, hey? You fags are ya?” So we slowly turned around and I’m thinking we’re gonna be knifed in the back and our bodies dumped. Sure enough they came up the stairs…..and my cousin said “I wouldn’t have done it if I saw the stairs.”

Good thinking dimwit. Coz how did we get up here in the first place?

So, we scarpered to the ice rink which was this tiny square. It was two skates, turn a corner, two skates turn a corner. We stayed there for half an hour till the Hoody dudes were gone!

If they had hoodies why were they combing their hair? I was puzzled for hours.

I have no music on the music thread. Not good.

But I will say I love the Kinks. Mum was in love with them when she was 14 but her dad wouldn’t  play the vinyl so she finally bought a cassette of their music and 35 years later she’s still got it!

Mudlark @mudlark

@thane15

“mind the gap” why the flip do they say this all the time for 3o something years? Like we’re all gonna get our foot stuck once a day

You get the same thing on some stations on the Paris Metro – in five or six different languages; and I could swear that the English version is exactly the same as on the London underground. Either they are using the same recording, or the same chap recorded it.

They could do with a similar warning at St Pancras.  When I descended from Eurostar last Thursday evening, there was a gap wide enough to swallow me and my cumbersome suitcase.  Fortunately a gallant gentleman came to my assistance 🙂

Since this is the music thread, I would like to have posted something from the St Petersburg Rimsky Korsakov choir which I heard giving a recital of Christmas music on Christmas Eve in Paris.  They are phenomenal (though the acoustics of the church where I heard them probably helped), but unfortunately I couldn’t find anything of theirs on YouTube or elsewhere.

Anonymous @

@mudlark

Oh no, that sounds awful. I will never complain about the “mind the gap” comment again! Please accept my apologies.

I also was at St Pancras and I was really restless so jumped off the train because I wanted to see London straight away!

Dad was really tired. I couldn’t find him! He was behind about eight other people all stepping gently off the train.

I hope you enjoyed Paris, though. I really enjoyed it.

Thank you,

Thane15

@thane15

Aaaand I got a ‘C’ in English.

Because you aren’t reading enough.

Mind the gap is as much about losing *stuff* as your footing., Because people are just stupid enough to go after their stuff once the train has gone.

(I enjoyed your every day story of Essex folk. Essex is odd.)

So, any excuse:

Whisht @whisht

Hey @Thane15 – glad to hear you had at least one tale of ohfuckwhatthehellarewegonnado on your trip!

(and that you survived of course).

The next time you travel I can guarantee at least one or two of these incidents (if you’re doing it right of course!).

@pedant – I now live just north of trendy Shoreditch in Hackney Hipster central. I’m being pushed ever northwards it seems by the facial hair, tattoos and rent increases.

Loved the Tube song, cheers.

I will keep to my resolute plan for only putting upbeat/ positive music here* with this song which although not about London, gets across something about Londoners (if you get what I mean).

Lyrics are here in case the accent gets in the way (hell some of the mentions are so quick this is first time I’ve understood some of them!)

@whisht (and @Thane15 )

Strictly speak, Upminster is Essex! 🙂

Now this, written by Sandy Denny but not recorded by her because she died, then picked up by Thea Gilmore, is simply magnificent. Used  by the BBC for its closing montage for the 2012 Olympics. Remember how optimistic we were then?

Anonymous @

@pedant @whisht

Thano with potentially the dreaded cough (still, Doctor is, “hmm, inspiring cough, blood test can read a false positive so we’ll defer any disclosure until…next week!”)  -and so I say it isn’t certain that it’s actually the “dreaded cough”.

So, you know, no panic!  In other words, Puro (its Mum) is typing instead! Halloooo!

I shall hide on the Song Thread. 🙂

This is bloody awesome. Truly, Ian Drury, “I thought I’d surprise you.”

“Good job. Top Marks.”

Long time ago I used this song –  exemplar for…rhythm, scansion etc. But no more analysing, because it’s flippin brilliant.

@pedant Ah, yes, absolutely: “optimism.” Quick story, a good friend of mine who shares my love of ‘DVD boxed sets til the end of time’ dropped in for an hour (stayed for three, bad bloody idea, but still) bringing along The Newsroom series. I laughed – obviously I have it. I’m reminded of the opening act where McKensie (sic) shows the anchor during a heated interview the lines: “WE CAN BE” in response to “Is the U.S. the best country?”

Some people despise the show like a vaccine.

I tend to like it. A lot.

Signing off. Kindest,

Puro and Son (so much for anonymity)

Anonymous @

Obviously I want to be somewhere else too. To be frank.

Fire(P) and Son

Whisht @whisht

ahh @pedant – the opyimism of the Olympics.

For me one of the best parts was Elbow’s playing of Open Arms.
    (I can’t find a good recording of it, so here’s the best audio of them playing it live I could find).
    Obviously not written with Olympics in mind, their lyrics of “Open arms for broken hearts” etc was (for me) truly moving. I tear up now each time I hear it (yeah, I’m a big softy).

And as all this optimism is a bit sickly, here’s some grist (needed to create pearls).
    Written by Londoners but I guess could be about most cities.

Whisht @whisht

@Thane15 – Don’t fear the Jazz…..

:¬)

Its a bit of a sprawling genre and I’m always wary of genres anyway (its a all a bit subjective). Also it tends to close off listening to music as “I don’t like [ x ]” (which I’ve done farrr too much!).

Kind of Blue is very smooth jazz (and brilliant) so here’s some other smooth-ish jazz you may or may not like (skimming through my iTunes I’ve just been listening to the beginning of songs and thinking “oh yeah – that’s great I’ll find a link to it” so feel free to skip too!).

Ugetsu (from live album) Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers is a similar kind of smooth jazz to Kind of Blue (doing this from memory – haven’t re-heard the whole album and now can’t find the whole album online, so just linking to the title track).

Moanin’ – Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers (from a studio recording).

Cantaloupe Island – Herbie Hancock – also quite smooth.

And I agree that as you say Be Bop can be a bit awkward, but here’s something a bit more upbeat and that may (may) get a foot tapping.
    Charles Mingus – Better Git it in your Soul.

Mas Que Nada – Oscar Peterson.

…or in a galaxy far far away…. a bit of ragtime (I wish I could remember/ find what this is based on – John Williams says Benny Goodman but in my mind its someone else – its similar to That’s a Plenty – Sidney Bechet but its not that)

But for our very own Peter Capaldi, this is not smooth but kinda great:

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht @Thane15    I was actually listening to Giant Steps just the other day. I have to be in the right mood for it as I find it a bit chaotic at times. Coltrane is actually playing on Kind of Blue, and I love him there. Isn’t that the best pickup band ever? Cannonball Adderley on the alto. I love this track (Miles Davis and Art Blakey are on it as well!)

Anything by Oscar Peterson makes me happy. Oddly, I have all the tracks you linked to except the Peterson one, and I have a lot of Oscar! 🙂 I especially like his classic trio, with Herb Ellis and Ray Brown.

As for the cantina music, I think Williams might have been channelling the Benny Goodman Quartet, rather than the orchestra. Lionel Hampton on the vibes.
    Is this the most epic version of I Got Rhythm ever?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I was talking to an old friend last night about stuff I really enjoyed recently and I recommended, again, the Black Mirror episode “San Junipero” on Netflix. So I watched it again today. It totally stands up to repeat viewings and made me cry happy tears. It also somehow manages to make this cheesy 80s poptastic track into a work of art.

Anonymous @

Anonymous @

@missrori

The above says (I know. Not a good song title) “you’re not alone.”

I love that bit!

It might help -I think many people in the U.S are thinking others think they’re a laughing stock. And that’s not fair, so if you have problems with politics =you’re not alone.

I think it’s made  up of many diverse people & some are very upset about Trump.

Anyway,

From Thane and Puro.

Whisht @whisht

@arbutus – wow, Autumn Leaves. Haven’t listened to that in years and so listened to it like it was the first time.
    Made me stop, not twiddle with my phone, not read something else while listening, not watch the TV.
    My mood matched the song, so thank you sooooo much!

@missrori – I’m sure others have written better than I about the Doctor’s suffering. All I can say is – would he have been happy with himself if he hadn’t been kind? Yes, it led to pain, but he was true to himself and if he hadn’t then… well, the pain would’ve been different and (perhaps) harder to bear.

But this is the Music thread and as I’m crap with words here’s two things that sprang to mind!

Now, @thane15 chose a great song but with an unfortunate title(!).
    S this one could seem ‘obvious’ but linking to it again is a little layered.

Its a song that many people who voted for Trump would actually appreciate (losing jobs, self respect etc).
    Yet it’s message of hope is one we can all share.
    Now, maybe that’s a good song to link to…

But, perhaps that’s a little ‘earnest’, so this next one is a lovesong, and though that’s not quite what I had in mind(!) what I was thinking about were small, personal acts of kindness.
    That’s all we as individuals can do and its the ripples we send out.
    Plus, this accent is not really particularly attractive, but the words and heartfelt delivery is for me all that matters.

Whisht @whisht

so, at one point, this made complete sense posting this today as I won’t get chance later.

;¬)

Whisht @whisht

forgive me an appalling pun, but not such a happy monday, (though not quite “2016 you’re over – go away!”).

An excuse (for me at least) to listen to some great music that I rarely get into the mood to listen to – I shall overcome that darned ‘mood’ thing.

Whisht @whisht

So, I guess this makes sense

Anonymous @

@pedant

I think I’m going to hell. 🙂

My favourite song on my playlist is (Mum doesn’t know I have a playlist or what one is -she thinks you buy the songs from iTunes. She doesn’t get that part -that you don’t need to. But I do have CDs) is that “London underground song” YOU put up. I can’t stop singing it. All my Aussie mates are singing it.

Then there’s the Jam. One girl said I was cool. I think she was joking though. Girls.

Blondie and Belinda Carlisle -mum said these two singers she’d totally forgotten about. I’m bringing them back. Thank you to @whisht and @craig.

And now Mr Hurt? I can’t believe it. Mum just ordered 1984 for me to watch? I saw a mash up thing of that (idea) in the Aron Sorkin film Steve Jobs? Great movie. Also when I saw the 50th anniversary we were all crying. That was the second time in my life I cried because of the story and because I was scared. The 1st time was when mr Tennant’s doctor died.

John Hurt an amazing actor. I might let Mum on later in the Pub.

Thank you for reading,

Thane15

Anonymous @

@pedant

It should read:
    “1st time I cried on tele out of sadness NOT because I was scared”

Thane (needs school)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Peter Capaldi is on Jo Wiley on R2 hosting an evening of music right now! I’ve just joined (half an hour to go)

The track listing is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bqzvd

and no doubt the whole thing will be on i-player afterwards.

He’s lovely to listen to.

Anonymous @

@juniperfish

Amazing! Thank you for that. I hooked mum up to that before.

Also, he teared up a bit  talking about the ‘great BBC’ He is such a lovely man. Great music too.

Thank you juniperfish, I wouldn’t have found this. Mum loves Brian Enno to bits (I don’t know him/band)

“forward looking creativity, fabulous, supportive is the BBC with Doctor Who being wonderful.”

Thane15

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@missrori Know you are not alone and we’re all here for you. You might like this. @thane15 too. A new song by Frank Turner.

Anonymous @

@craig

thank you very very much!

I’ll add that to my playlist.

Cheers!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@thane15 Glad you liked it. 🙂 @missrori Every night of the tour thousands of Americans are singing along to this.

Whisht @whisht

@thane15 and @missrori – not sure I can find happy music or even heartening music, but I am particularly childish and silly, so here’s something (especially as I won’t get a chance to post again till weekend).

As I say, I’m childish so am amused by Trump’s incredibly thin skin and how he’s so hurt by the “small hands” jibe.

Would it be an act of protest to go to a Trump speech waving those huge foam hands you see at wrestling crowds?

Anyway, “big hands I know you’re the one” for some reason sprang to mind and the Violent Femmes are kinda fun.

btw @missrori – you say that some people have called you gullible. Well, I only know you from here but I cannot think of a time when anyone’s actually changed your mind, even when they’ve really tried!!

Oh – and this is real life – I’m actually typing this trying to say something to you and as far as I know I’m not an algorithm.

(if I were my musical choices would be better)

;¬)

Whisht @whisht

well, obviously we’re all waiting for Doctor Who and we’re waiting for the protracted “who will be the next who?” debate/media click-bait, but personally I’m looking forward to hearing the latest lyrical update to Bragg’s theme tune….

(I’ve posted the original before but y’know – I offer no apologies, its bloody great)

If you didn’t know he tends to update the verses depending on what’s going on in the world – it seems there’s always something to crow-bar in, though this is a good version from the Henry Rollins show.

And sometmes he plays with his mate Frank Turner (posted by a Jam fan – small world).

Anonymous @

@missrori and @whisht LOVE the VF’s -only found out abt them last month. Mum used to dance to this music.

Also, more Billy Bragg. Mum found out about him from a mate in Oz called Kevin. She was 28 and had never heard of him. It took another few years before she paid attention. These are her words: “I was SO stuck up back then.” LOL.

See? The internet is an amazing place. For big people, little people, people with big hands, small hands and big bands (I like big bands: not as much as mum, but).

And Frank Turner. Love him too. My play list is spreading!

Thank you for all that Whisht: know you’re busy!

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Delighted to see so much love both for Billy Bragg, my hero, and Frank Turner, my son’s hero.

We need a rallying song. I propose this:

And to underline it…

Anonymous @

@pedant

Splendid. As well as….

Better get ready, you better get ready” and “coz she’s your sister, your sister

Spawn won’t know these songs at all. I must have been 17 when I first heard them -underrated band.

Puro

Anonymous @

@pedant and all those naughty people including @whisht 🙂

Apparently he HAS heard of The Housemartins AND THEN when I wrongly thought that he thought the London Underground song WAS the original, he sang (very badly because it’s hard) the entire Going Underground song -by The Jam.

Proud a bit.

But.

I also sneaked a look at the ‘playlist’ and he’s got the most absurd songs -remember the wonderful, the delightful Harry Belafonte?  Well, he’s got the.. erm… ‘Mr Taliban Song’ (‘m not gonna link it!)?

AND THEN, there’s The Curry Song AND The Duck Song.

Intelligence Quotient dropped a bit 🙁

He’s 15. Oh boy…

<Puro scurrying off to read teen therapy books>

Whisht @whisht

well, I’ll admit that this isn’t really my area of expertise, but Black Sabbath played their final gig last night in Birmingham.

@phaseshift and others might be able to link to better tracks, but while looking for one to post I found this one and I simply liked the title, gave it a listen and thought “fair enough – its not War Pigs and isn’t ‘just’ about drugs*, losing one’s mind, etc etc”
    (*well, not explicitly 🙂 )

🤘

Whisht @whisht

hi @Thane15 and @purofillion  thanks for the thanks !

I’ll be honest – I have no idea what the “curry song” and “Duck song” are but…..

There is NOTHING wrong with Duck songs !

Now – the song I wanted to link to is Elegy of a Duck from Peter and the Wolf arr. by Oliver Nelson and played by Jimmy Smith.

However – every version seems to have been removed by the copyright holders meaning that people that have never heard this great album don’t get a chance to hear a bit of it and possibly buy it. {sigh}

However, this guy has used it as a backing track to his animation video – what a great thing to have done!
    Nothing wrong with duck songs….. 🙂

Whisht @whisht

Enjoy your retirement Aretha.

sure, its not even one of her best, but hopefully you now have a sidebar of great songs….

Whisht @whisht

so, I wanted to put something on here today that was uplifting, happy an joyful.

But its getting ever closer to midnight!

And this song is a recent one (and actually recent in coming out this year!)!!
    It also begins with thoughts about babies and stuff though is actually about the ;human condition’ (whatever that is).

So, I’ll post it but am also looking for something….. lighter,

but I do love this.

Whisht @whisht

not a favourite or anything, in fact the only reason I know of it was that it was number one when i was born.

which was around now or so, so….

Anonymous @

@whisht “goons and epileptics” is about right.

Great song, man.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 1,017 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 3’ is closed to new replies.