General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    Whisht @whisht

btw – @fatmaninabox – not sure about anyone else but I was ‘air drumming’ furiously during Dead Souls. As Arbutus said – wakes you up!

🙂

Whisht @whisht

@arbutus – great lyrical match for that track by Mimic!

Not come across them before but a great match for Martha:

“They were right when they said
    We were breathing underwater
    Out of place all the time
    In a world that wasn’t mine to take

I’ll wait
    Is this my life?
    Am I breathing underwater?”

(phew – a new page – that last one was getting tricky to load on my crappy wifi!)

New choons needed!

Marionziemke @marionziemke

Are that metric?

Arbutus @arbutus

@marionziemke       Yes indeed, Metric. I like the full band version as well, but the acoustic take has a reflective feel to it, and allows you to focus on the melody and the singer’s voice, both of which I think are quite lovely.

@whisht    They’re a Canadian band, once again introduced to me by my pop-music-loving teenager. When he plays “drop the needle” they’re one of the few bands I can always identify, because I find her voice so distinctive. I confess that many of the women singing top-40 pop to sound a little  mix’n’match to my ears!

And by the way, my wifi is pretty good, and it still takes a long time for the music page to load when it starts getting full.  🙂

Anonymous @

One for Northern Soul fans. Ian Levine tweeted a link to this new release from Lisa Stansfield. Look at those dancers, fully clothed and no crotch grabbing or butt thrusting 🙂

Whisht @whisht

@marionziemke and @arbutus

doh! “Metric” of course!

No idea where I got “Mimic” from (a quick google for ‘Mimic’ as a band name is for something so competently pub-rock that I can’t even bother linking!).

Thank goodness that if it was a Freudian slip, then nothing more indiscreet came through!

8¬o

Whisht @whisht

@fatmaninabox – thanks for that! One of the least sweaty disco videos I’ve ever seen!

I’ll admit I was put off by your description of it not having any crotch grabbing or butt thrusting, but I still gave it a go.

I’m a soldier me.

😉

Arbutus @arbutus

@fatmaninabox   For some reason, the link didn’t work in Canada, but I went and found the video myself. Fun, very classic dance sound and what a great voice. I then went and educated myself on “northern soul”! One lifetime is just not long enough to listen to all the music out there, I think I need to learn how to regenerate!  🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

I’d forgotten about this brilliant recording until I heard one of the tracks on the BBC yesterday: The Hilliard Ensemble singing medieval and renaissance music as a base for the improvisations of saxophonist Jan Garbarek. Something both serene and jazzy for a late Sunday morning (at least in my world: Sunday evening for many of you).

Anonymous @

@arbutus – I hope you enjoyed researching Northern Soul as much as I have. I was a bit too young to enjoy it in the 70’s but I’ve been slowly catching up over the last couple of years.

Here’s a couple of classics and some more fabulous dancing.

If ‘The Snake’ sounds familiar, it’s probably because of this…

ScaryB @scaryb

Lots to catch up on. As @arbutus said –

One lifetime is just not long enough to listen to all the music out there, I think I need to learn how to regenerate!

Or at least learn how to exist in several timestreams simultaneously!

Off to check out @fatmaninabox‘s Northern Soul clips (ta for posting)

Not sure if this comes under NS genre (I’m sure someone can put me right on that 😉 ), but it’s my fave Dobie Grey track.. and a nice gentle way to start the week.

Happy Monday… uh oh, that’s a different thread of thought altogether, for another time 😉

Anonymous @

@scaryb – I think ‘Drift Away’ falls under the banner of ‘ordinary’ soul but I could imagine it being played at the end of the evening*. I haven’t heard that since I was a nipper but it’s still a cracking tune.

*’The end of the evening’ for your average Northern Soul night is 7am 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

*’The end of the evening’ for your average Northern Soul night is 7am

Lightweights!

😉

Arbutus @arbutus

@scaryb  –  Thanks for Drift Away! That album was huge in our house when it first came out, and I’ve always loved that song. I just can’t not sing along.

@fatmaninabox  –   I remember “The Snake”! It must have gotten a lot of airplay here at some point, because it came right back to me as I listened. However, I had to look it up to figure out where I’d heard the Hannon song (face palms!). Hilarious. Having forgotten “The Snake” I would never have put those two together before now.

Love watching the dance scenes, wasn’t it a much more innocent time? Thanks for the links, I’m getting a sense now of northern soul. I realize that I used to hear a lot of this kind of thing in the seventies, but wouldn’t have known what to call it!

Whisht @whisht

evenin’ all.

so much going on! I’m now slightly wired though I wanted an early night (my next post will explain). I’m all jiggy (as the kidz say – I think).

@arbutus – yes Officium. Actually I was lucky enough to see them do this in London (mainly as a friend of mine is good at alerting me to live stuff – we saw Reich at end of last year and it was awesome!).

Thanks for posting though as I’d not listened to it in a long time as I’d gone off it. but hearing it again makes me want to put the album on again!

(and maybe it will calm me down as I’ve been listening to….)

Whisht @whisht

@fatmaninabox – you naughty man you.

I wasn’t into Northern Soul (knowingly) either, but picked up a CD years ago simply because it:

a) was by Little Richard (someone I always think I should hear more of)
    b) was £3
    c) had a sticker saying it had numerous “Northern Soul classics”

That album was “The Explosive Little Richard” and that link isn’t the full album but a great list on YT (click for some great Northern Soul dance music!).

An amazing track is “Well (well all right)” but this particular YT is a bit ‘muddy’ (shame as this is the track that has me so effing wired at 11.30 at night!! how the hell will I sleep now!??!)

So, instead (and perhaps to make me sleepy) I’ll post the track that I loved straight away from the CD (which apparently wasn’t on the original album but whaddever).

Now, if its morning I URGE you to go to the album link above and wake the hell up. Below is not a dance track, but very emotional in another way entirely.

fucking awesome.

Anonymous @

@whisht  did you mean Steve Reich?? 🙂  I sure hope so. Although any Reich would be good! Kindest, puro.

Whisht @whisht

Hi @Purofilion – yes Steve Reich. He played several pieces with the Colin Currie group. To be honest I hadn’t realised what a treat this was going to be – my mate bought the tickets about a year in advance!

My naive take on Reich and Glass was that Glass did the ’emotional’ stuff (with certain tricks to tug at the heart) and Reich the more ‘rigorous intellectual’ stuff, exploring rhythms and patterns.

I’m an idiot.

Instead what I learned was that the Reich pieces are incredibly emotive, soaring and affecting. They were also full of humour rather than any po-faced ‘intellectualism’.

“Come Out” was the piece that made me sit up and listen to Reich in the first place (heard it many years ago on a great radio show called Mixing It) but live was something else. I was forced to concentrate more but also hear it in a different, warmer space.
    Music for 18 Musicians was incredible – I actually could get a sense how the piece fits together.

The whole programme was excellent – it started with Clapping and gently eased (me at least) into ‘hearing’ the music (rather than launch straight into Music for…).

oops – waffling – sorry!

WhatIsThisSongPlease @whatisthissongplease

Um can anyone tell my what this song/soundtrack is? Its the Tennant Doctor I think.

I know this is a long shot but it goes like:
    la la luh luh luh la la luh luh luh;
    la la(high), la la-la-la-la-la-luh, luh luh luh luh luh.

Really unhelpful but fingers crossed.

I really want to listen to it, any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous @

@whatisthissongplease

Blimey, it is a long shot and not much to go on but…

If that’s not the one, it may help if you can remember what series/episode it’s from.

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht      My naive take on Reich and Glass was that Glass did the ’emotional’ stuff (with certain tricks to tug at the heart) and Reich the more ‘rigorous intellectual’ stuff, exploring rhythms and patterns.

I think that’s a pretty commonly-held view. I actually prefer Reich to Glass myself, I find his music engages me more. But I don’t really listen to a lot of minimalist music, so I am only familiar with it in a general way. I believe that @purofilion is the resident expert!  🙂

Whisht @whisht

ah @arbutus – thanks. I kinda prefer Reich too, but it was the emotional power of his work that hit me when hearing it live. I just hadn’t heard it like that before.
    I should hear things on their own merit and I’d kinda compartmentalised them both (as I do with so much music) and that’s why I was an eejit!

😉

Anonymous @

@whisht I cannot believe this bloody site (oops). I was just listening to Music for 18 Musicians last night before bed (it gives everyone else a headache). How is it that we end up getting to that? 🙂 Who-hoo! Do you know how many people here in Brisbane would know of Steve Reich? Hardly anyone 🙁  I love his stuff. Saw some concerts with him years and years ago. Now you can hear  pieces composed by him with orchestras like Topology who’ll do occasional exposés of his music and also Glass. Absolutely loved your analysis of his music- evocative etc. I couldn’t say anything better than that. Let that stand as testimony. Glasses up (well, coffee, this early 🙂 )

Whisht @whisht

Hi @purofilion – thanks for that! But I do have to make sure my prejudices don’t hold me back!

if its early you should try the Little Richard – better than coffee!

🙂

Anonymous @

@whisht  I just did.  Absolutely got me wiggling and wriggling the behind (or in ‘American’, the: be-haarrnd) 🙂 Thank you!  It’s about 32 degrees already (that’s Celsius) and only just after 8am. I’m looking at the outfit I planned to wear ( nice fitted number with silk lining and flowy  down the be-hind) and sayin’: “who are you kidding? Opt for something you can sweat through at least!” Kindest, puro

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion:

Puro, you need to try linking a video, it’s really easy. Just find the one you want, and copy the URL from the top of the browser and paste it into your post. It only needs to be contained in its own paragraph, and it should work. Anyway, I have posted it for you, and now @whisht and I can listen to it this evening before bed. I don’t think our heads will hurt!

Whisht @whisht

ah, @arbutus – I would listen to that, but I need to sleep now and that’s a tad stimulating. And I’m trying to calm down after Puro’s last post!

methinks something more…… like this.

(which reminds me of how a radio station here called Resonance FM would play ‘live’ sounds from the Aus bush when they went off air around 2am. Many a night I went to sleep with the sound of cicadas chirrupping!).

n’night.

WhatIsThisSongPlease @whatisthissongplease

Omg! Tytytyty, that’s the one. Thanks FatManInABox.

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht.  Ha. Yes, perhaps more appropriate bed time music. (Gentle music, as my son still calls it when I ask him to put on something more appropriate to the hour as he is trying to fall asleep to Top 40.)

I somehow missed listening to all those Little Richard links, but I went back and played them all and had a great time. I love that kind of thing. Nothing gets my pulse racing like a horn section!

By the way, I don’t know what kind of ads others are seeing on the Reich link, but I got one for a Motley Crue/Alice Cooper concert. Certainly not what I was expecting when I hit the link.  And then, one of the Little Richard links produced a French Mazda ad that featured a pair of cellists playing the Kinks’ “All Day and All of the Night”!

Arbutus @arbutus

What, no new wake up music? After too little sleep, and too frantic a start to the day (I managed to spill water, drop food, and step in cat vomit, all in the first twenty minutes of my morning), I now have to find my own wake up music? Oh, well. Here is what finally brought me to life in a positive way (I’m not counting the cat vomit, as while it certainly woke me up, it wasn’t very positive!). I challenge anyone to sit still during this track!

Anonymous @

Hi all:  this for @whisht and @arbutus if only I could only paste the link in; I’m really a luddite (or too stupid to live).

For your family Arbutus, was going to be Viva La Vida by Coldplay a rendition by Scala in a radio station (WFUV) conducted by the Kolacny Bros with the conductor wearing a red shirt. I worked with about 7 of the ladies in that choir (actually we were doing a live performance of a great favourite for many reasons: ‘I Touch Myself)’. Whilst I love Viva anyway, I really adore the pianissimo, the generous spirit of the conductor and his brother, the pianist.

As for the lyrics, I think they fit Who: instead of the King who rules the world, we have: “The Time Lords who rule the world.” Instead of “Long Live the King”, we  have “The TL is dead; Long Live the TL” and for Rory, “Roman cavalry choirs are singing”. If anyone could find that youtube clip and paste it in: terrific. I tried for half an hour (refer to my earlier comment 🙁 )

Kindest, and good morning, purofilion

Anonymous @

Ahh then there’s this -also by Scala, their version of U2’s With and Without You: for Amy

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion, this seems to be the one you mean. What fun. I played it for my son, and he recognized it from the first piano chords, and talked about the possibility of his vocal ensemble doing something similar. We looked at each other when the vocal bridge came on, and had the same idea that the arranger should have had them layer the chorus over top of it to build up a kind of “symphonic” effect. Nice choir, I don’t think I’ve heard them before. Thanks!

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion   Also nice!

Anonymous @

Hello to you @arbutus  thank you thank you !  I must get a hands on tutorial . No idea what I’m doing wrong. The Help Page on this Forum is super clear so I’m a terrible learner when it comes to computers!  I found working with the 7 ladies -now in their 20s/30s wonderful: they are opposite Stijin (conductor) in the WfUV performance of Viva. The recording is poor: you can’t hear the descant or the harmonies. It isn’t the best cover: but what I love about Stijin (not just the mad conductor vibe)  is his insistence on rounded vowels so ‘you’ is sung as ‘your’ (although a touch flatter). I like the way the girls (who aren’t 15 as some imagine) really enjoy themselves. In all concerts, whilst they wear similar clothes, they’re generally not ‘tarted’ up for the camera. I really like that- though I might get blasted for that opinion. Kindest to you, purofilion

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion  Yes, the girls look lovely. I agree completely that the less “tarted” look is nice to see. In my son’s choir, they don’t wear a uniform as such, but dark pants on the boys and a no-mini-skirt rule is the norm. I like it, it encourages some self-respect in the young people, which as a cranky old mom, I think is quite lacking in a lot of them these days. So many smart, gifted, enthusiastic young people who have no idea how to dress!

Whisht @whisht

@arbutus – The Cat Empire – not come across them before. Quite a reggae/ dub/ska feel (which I like!). Nice early-party feel – thanks for this!

@purofilion – I really liked that Scala version of Coldplay (my god, I had nice words to say about Coldplay!).
    I couldn’t figure out their accent, so Googled them (they’re Belgian).
    And totally agree about appropriate clothes – I want to listen to them not see fishnets. When I want to see fishnets, I probably ain’t thinking of listening to choirs… 😉

anyway…..[cough] when I googled them I found this:

As you say Puro, lovely diction – especially around “sooo fuck-ing special” and “what the hel-lll am i do-ing heere?”
    (staggering that I don’t think anyone has posted any Radiohead on this thread before! he he).

Then saw this in the right hand bar – their cover of the Damien Rice track The Blower’s Daughter (its all connected….)

Anonymous @

Anonymous @

“Oh by George  (oh by @whisht and @arbutus)  I think she did it”  (Course, it’s possible it’s only working for me or something). “Thing is, can she do it twice..?” Song is for all those going thru a long, cold Winter.

Kindest, puro

Anonymous @

giving this a go:  test 19    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Rg6nuZoQM

Anonymous @

now some Vic Wooten -who plays with Bela Fleck and The Flecktones.  He also played at the Sydney Basement (’07): ‘The Lake Effect’. But that whole concert at 2 hours+ is on YT & waaaay too  long. The Lake Effect for ….Lake Silencio-just grabbing at straws really. Kindest, puro

Arbutus @arbutus

Bravo, @purofilion, I knew you could do it! There will be no stopping you now!  🙂  And I’m pretty sure that no DW link is too tenuous too prevent a good tune being posted here. Like @whisht, I find the precision of these lovely women performing Metallica and Radiohead and so on, just fabulous.

Anonymous @

Hello dear @arbutus  yes indeed!  I forgot about Scala -for about 6 weeks. It seems as if my brain, by focussing on other equally beautiful or exalted things accidentally ignores others equally as important! Scala’s arrangement of the Blower’s Daughter which @whisht noticed as well is very beautiful although that odd (some would say handsome) English actor (the name escapes me) is in the video clip with Julia Roberts -some mad bromance I missed?? Who knows, perhaps it was the film of the decade! Mmm, it wasn’t Eat, Pray, Love, by any chance?  If all the ladies I meet insist I see this, I immediately bolt the door and shout “out out: get thee out chick flick”.

Stijin, the conductor is typically giggled at on F’book for looking like Voldemort (hardly original: for if I shaved my head I too would bear a passing resemblance) and tends to use his whole body to conduct. His brother, (a touch) more enigmatic, sits quite still at the piano- I enjoy his technique. He does all the arrangements;  probably thoroughly exhausted by performance night. I’ve seen them do Depeche Mode; Bowie; Queen; ABBA (Nearly Everyone’s Guilty Secret) and so on…

Now, life would be complete if they performed ‘Chances’ -is that the song or the Band? -for Season 5’s Vincent and the Doctor (with the marvellous Bill Nighy): a great mood piece.

Since the ’60s, hasn’t the music really taken off with Who? I think of all the themes during AG and whilst we see Tennant and Smith age, what about Murray Gold? The gorgeous motifs for the 9th Doctor –Gallifrey, I think it is, when Eccleston must shut down the fan on Platform 1 (episode 2); Rose’s theme when she’s separated from 10…and then Amy’s song. To turn these out, year after year and one ep after another amazes me almost more than the acting itself (because I know so little about the latter, technically!).

And how doth go your day?

Kindest, purofilion

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion, thanks for asking! We are having a long weekend here, the rather pointlessly-named “Family Day”. Really just a day introduced to get more people on the ski slopes and help us survive the long haul between Christmas and Easter. So there’s been an extra-leisurely pace to the weekend, knowing that we have this extra day tacked on at the end.

Heehee, bald men looking like Voldemort. I’m sure there must be a meme in that idea somewhere! Interesting the personality contrast between the two brothers. I imagine that there must be something native to those roles that will attract certain types: an introvert is less likely to be a conductor, and an extrovert will probably prefer that over the “behind the scenes” role of an accompanist/arranger. And yes, films like Eat, Pray, Love tend to irritate me as well. The last one I saw like that was Under the Tuscan Sun, which really bothered me because I couldn’t understand why any woman with so much going for her could be so whiny!

Agreed about the DW music, it contributes so much to the atmosphere of the shows. You make we want to go back and rewatch the entire series just to listen to the evolution of the musical themes! In fact, I might do that, fall is a long time away.  🙂

Here is some contemplative morning music for you, James MacMillan’s Strathclyde motet “Oh radiant dawn”. A wonderful piece, full of flight and lovely moments of stillness.

Whisht @whisht

Am I dreamin’? No I’m not – its California Dreamin’ and Puro embedded a

video!!

Yay – go Team Filion!

😉

Tenuous links to DW? Tenuous?? Wooten-to-Lake Effect-to-Lake Silencio is worthy of Mornington Crescent! [btw this is rather a rather funny episode but far funnier if you’ve heard the game before…]

Now, I’ll admit sometimes I’m a bit dubious about wibbling jazzy instrumentalists, but this is very very good (just as long as I don’t look at him and simply concentrate on the music!)

😉

But honestly, really like how this develops.

Keep ’em coming!

Whisht @whisht

@arbutus – wow. Oh Radiant Dawn. That’s absolutely gorgeous!

Wow. What with Hurry Sundown and this we could travers a day in music (now there’s an idea…!)

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@purofilion

‘Chances’ -is that the song or the Band?

Song. The band is called ‘Athlete’ and Chances is from their album ‘Tourist’.

You might also recognise their song ‘Wires’.

Anonymous @

Ah @bluesqueakpip  @arbutus and @whisht    Just woke up (eer, rather late, I must add) and ‘ -Wires’ -not a bad way to wake up. Radiant Dawn:  perfect and a choir not afraid to a) smile and b) sing forte when they want to. Niiice. Thank you.  Better check out Mornington Crescent?  Also ‘wires’ uses the same construct as Chances. Nnnnn!

FaeGrl @faegrl

Here’s a song that I like called “Handlebars” by the artist Flobots. Include footage of the Tenth Doctor and it’s magic! 🙂

Whisht @whisht

@faegrl – good work!!

Excellent song (not heard it before) and fits so well with Ten its kinda spooky!
    It wouldn’t work nearly as well with the others I don’t think, its got the right amount of… erm… ego and “me me me!” about it.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.