General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Bugger. I have three of @whisht‘s balls bouncing towards me.

I’m dead. There is the magnificence of Max Romeo. There is the adaptive brilliance of “Night boat to Cairo”. I have a late doubles partner in @janetteb with “Ghost Town”.

I’m under attack. All I can unleash is the taste of innocence. Once upon a time the boy called @phaseshift went into a store called Woolworth and purchased a record. With his own money. For the first time. This was it.

For added “hits” I will admit that legend suggest the first record I demanded my parents purchased was “Rock and Roll” by Gary Glitter. I had real taste.

wolfweed @wolfweed

The 7B trailer music, also used on the iplayer ad &  one of  The Voice ads…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

As @juniperfish has announced the next Who prom on this forum, I think a Medley is in order.Some people think the the proms is this bizare high brow thing. NOPE.

OK,

I love the music of Ennio Morricone. Here are five Austrialians doing it true justice. The Spaghetti Western Orchestra

Hear about the corpse they dug up in a car park? What a nice guy.

To celebrate 11 faces of the doctor:

The proms is great.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Okay… researching my memory = I think this was the 1st music I bought! Or it could have been Terence Trent D’arby… Could’ve been worse!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Bugger. It WAS Terence Trent D’arby – the Bruno Mars of 1987… Well I was 13…..

Craig @craig
    Emperor

And how did I forget Jonathan Richman? I’d usually post Roadrunner, or Egyptian Reggae ( @juniperfish would like that), but this is just great fun for his dancing halfway through.

Whisht @whisht

@phaseshift – you think you’ve got too many balls to return! I want to reply to everyone’s posts and I’m deluged!!

And there’s so much fun over on Hide, its a bit of an aside to come here. No doubt midweek will mean a bit more musical activity as we wind down from Hide and before we gear up for JttCotT!!

so….

I won’t link to my first bought single (which I think was Money for Nothing by Dire Straits). There is just nothing cool or nostalgic or even particularly good about that song.

As you demanded ‘memories’ with the music (and for cuteness) I was once told by my mum, that when I was a toddler and my brother just a bit older, he had to be in eyesight of her or he’d cry. However I was fine in my cot, if she just stuck a stack of LPs on the gramaphone arm and they’d just play, one after the other. On being told and more-than-slightly proud of myself (though I actually don’t remember it happening) I asked what music would have been playing to the 2-3yr old me.

Not so cool, is all the Irish albums (eg Jimmy Shand etc).
    However, one was Orange Blossom Special by Johnny Cash which I’ll take (even though I’m only fond of this live version):

btw – has anyone else ever said how much Mark E Smith looks like Johnny Cash?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Hey @whisht, no problem. The end of the week is better for me too (and it can be good to have something to clear the mind before another episode brings more conflicting thoughts!).

Whisht @whisht

a tad late replying, but I’ll try forlornly to pong back great pings(!) so…

@janetteb – Ghost Town – yep, absolute classic! Almost perfect pop(?) with a political message.
    Now, in deference to @bluesqueakpip, I had thought to pong back a political song which is just amazing in either version but instead will try a return which links a bunch of previous stuff – cover versions, the Fall, and ghosts (keeping it who related!)….

yep its

(sorry @phaseshift – few memories of this, except this was an early intro to the Fall, yet I was still amused/ bemused by the ferocity of the cup throwing from the crew at Smith, as he walked in front of the wall!!

btw I’ve just discovered that the embed only seems to work for youtube. I tried a better quality muzu.tv version url and it just had the URL as a link (similar to what happened when @juniperfish was trying to embed).
    Just saying in case Juniperfish was still struggling to embed the video player… anyway, for a ‘better quality version’ of Ghost in my House there’s the link (though the Fall were hardly ever about recording quality!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Whisht @whisht

ah well that’s a pain. a finely written reply to @wolfweed is lost to the ether as my laptop decided to shut down.
    And no, this doesn’t mean the rewrite will be better.

[sigh]

So, Wolfweed apologies, I’ll try to remember the wit, but I know the songs at least (and if you’ve ever read a reply of mine, losing the wit may be actually preferable!)

Kid Creole and metal – can’t find one track to link them, so instead I’ll try the original Dropout (sans Blues Brothers).

However, Kid Creole does end with some rather good sax so… I’ll reply properly with some sax (god I did that better the first time).
    Although I seem to remember the band (hey Phaseshift I’m doing memories!) doing it better on Jools Holland, I can’t find a link so instead, although live I think there’s more energy in their live performance on Jools, I’ll go with this example of their driving brilliance:

very saxy.

Live they really shine, but not for the first time you wanna hear them (unless I could find a killer performance!). [if you follow that link, the thin saxophonist is the one you want to wait for… but stil, I’m sure there are even better examples if only I trawled away from yuotube…)

Its one of the few times (maybe Art Blakey) where its so obvious the drummer drives and spurs the band (though I’m sure it happens a lot elsewhere more subtly).

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I’ll send this ping-pong ball towards @juniperfish as I think we both like this bloke (discovered on the ancient “Lodger” Guardian blog). The title of this track, I think, is a fantastic description of this site: “An Elegant Chaos”. Mr Julian Cope, take it away:

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift Oooh how lovely it’s DJ-Friday, and very well-remembered re Mr. Cope and his marvellous love of standing stones not to mention his riot of an autobiography 🙂

I’m replying with Bowie just because we really do have to have Starman in the archives of the Who Forum, and I know Cope is a Bowie fan. I really want to make it to the V&A to see the Bowie retrospective.

<screeches in a spiders of Metebelis three sort of way> and I still can’t make links embed…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMiPdrYCBSU

Whisht @whisht

hmmm….. yep – that link won’t embed like others do….

[mulls]

actually – the link isn’t working (video taken down?)

I can try and find another for you @juniperfish but I don’t know which version you were linking to – I’m guessing top of the pops?)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@whisht Thanks for the help but yes like your test above, I have been just typing in the urls, no linking, but that won’t convert for me. Some tracks are easier to nanobot than others  obviously 🙂

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@whisht Oh the link has been taken down? Huh – it was a full-length track version but please do link another version – go for it!

Whisht @whisht

ah – was going to send you the URL @juniperfish, but the Edit function went away (been re-editing posts recently – great feature!).

Must’ve run out of time as I was looking for the “Message” feature (I’ve never used), to send you the URL when I found it worked (its to the totp footage).

hey ho – what I do need to do though is figure out a return!

great choon!

@Whisht – some of us are old enough to remember that first time round.

Whisht @whisht

he he @Iamnotafishiamafreeman – and a fine memory I’m sure it is!
    (and I guess kinda the point of this thread…!)

Now, @juniperfish, my return to Starman is a weak gag, a Dr Who link, and a band I know you like:

yep – Roxy Music and Casanova

I’ve been looking for the album version but the only one is ironically a barred one similar to your original Starman link!

ah well, those music industry idiots miss the point again…

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

Great to see MES/Fall fans here.

I saw this on youtube – how I wish I could redo it as a round table Doctor Who discussion. @htpbdet, asgill, Alexander would be my favourites as participants – perhaps @jimthefish ‘n all.

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

Not sure who would wield the axe, though:)

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@bobbingbird     I am wounded!

I would never wield an axe (Alexander Sheep though) and I would never wear orange (asgill though).

I see you in a different light now…

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

@htpbdet

I’m sure you would speak eloquently on the long September of the Troughton era, and would be the voice of reason until asgil pushed you just a bit too far 🙂

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@bobbingbird      Ha! Are you suggesting I am not the voice of reason when he/she pushes me too far??  🙂

Mind you, if asgill ever starts telling me about what was good or bad about either Troughton or Hartnell, I may well turn to an axe…

Seriously though……..its funny you say the “long September of Troughton”, because I often think of it that way – as an evocation of perpetual childhood. At the time, they were amazing days watching Doctor Who, at least for me,  and they tie in with all my happiest childhood memories.

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

That’s a lovely thing to hear @htpbdet. I know how much of a fan of his era you are, and now have more context to relate to.

However, Colin Baker’s era sold out to The Man, man.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@bobbingbird         you could have stopped that last sentence after “out”….

Truly, I think the saddest thing about the BBC is that they allowed Troughton’s era to be almost entirely erased. Honestly, when you were small and watching things like Power of the Daleks, Moonbase, Faceless Ones, Evil of the Daleks, Ice Warriors, Abominable Snowmen, Enemy of the World, Web of Fear, Wheel in Space and Fury from the Deep…well, your life was so enriched and changed. Mine, anyway.

Troughton sold me on acting  and the theatre/television as a career.

The shock of seeing him, so shortly after War Games, playing the utterly vile Duke of Norfolk in Six Wives of Henry VII profundly excited me.

He hooked me on life.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

This one goes out to our piscean dj-meister @whisht because lo! it has a space theme, but it’s for all of us soft-hearted Whovians really, because we all know – “love saves the day”:

Lou Reed “Satellite of Love”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMCS_xwtNK

ScaryB @scaryb

Nice one @juniperfish. What a lovely space this is – not had a chance to hang in here much… Like @bobbingbird‘s MES/Fall vid too.

That last link to Loopy Lou is dead – try this one (it’s had 2m+ views so presumably it’s got permission, LOL)

ScaryB @scaryb

And a very loose connection with the above, and Who. Song about a mysterious woman (with the glorious and completely bonkers Nico)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjjDmX9Tkss

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Thanks @scaryb ! I am still having trouble embedding video.

Trying to get the hang of it, I will reply to my own tune, this time with the Velvet Underground’s “I’ll be Your Mirror” which yes @whisht has a Dr. Who theme because hello mirrors and watery portals…

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish – thought I had the hang of embedding, but it didn’t happen on Femme Fatale 🙁 ( @phaseshift, help…?)

Oooh and nice return on I’ll Be Your Mirror (and the Mamas and Papas from ages ago)

ScaryB @scaryb

And then there’s all the Alice in Wonderland refs with rabbit holes, wormholes, mirrors etc. Grace Slick has one of the most underrated rock voices EVER in my opinion

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb – whoa psychic! You posted Nico at the exactly the same time I was posting the Velvets (and Nico) 🙂 Hehe mirror universes indeed.

I’ve figured out now how to make the links “go live” btw for anyone else wondering.

You copy and paste the link from youtube on its own line here but you have to make sure it is NOT hyperlinked, so you go to the “visual” tab at the top, highlight the link in your text and then clink the “unlink” button which you can see at the top in “visual” mode – phew!

Now for some Led Zeppelin, well it’s spacey 🙂 

ScaryB @scaryb

@htpbdet for that really moving post on Troughton. Totally agree about the wiping, but his Doctor sleeps in our heads and we can waken him up from time to time, and remember.  Enjoy some vintage 60s space visuals courtesy of Mr Bowie’s Space Oddity (little bit different from the single version)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb – Oooh nice choice – I love that JA track…

My last for now – it’s Love “Forever Changes”

The present Doctor’s lament perhaps…

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish Ah, Arthur Lee – fabulous (had privilege of seeing him about 6 years ago on his first retirment tour). Will come back to Love later 🙂 (thanks for the embedding tip. I think I lost Nico when I edited, maybe I should have checked the link)

This one’s for Clara in Asylum and  Ice Warrior Skaldak & his daughter  – Ball & Chain! (Janis killing it at Monterey) That’s my hand of  3 ace female voices btw

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb Ooooh lovely Janice and wow lucky you Arthur Lee RIP

Whisht @whisht

ok ok, late to the party but wow!

not sure I can reply to each of you properly tonight, but you’ve made me hunt YouTube etc for stuff tonight even though I desperately needed an early night!!

I have sooooooooooooo many other tracks to try to return with (Ball & Chain??!!!???? the version I have in my head is from a Real Summit Meeting CD I have, but this is a different live Big Mama Thornton version I’m hearing for the first time as I type this!! what a voice!!!).

and ScaryB – Great female voices in music….. oooh now THERE’s a thread!! I have loads…….
    another time!!

but for now, the track I’ll try to embed is another I’ve heard for the first time due to the posts above and me looking for tracks I know via YouTube (ie not finding what I wanted but discovering new stuff when I should be in bed!).

This is a good place to start for the trippy psychedelic rock/trippy vibe (but not what you might think).

but below is a live thing I found of the same band which, if you give it a minute-and-a-bit of the ‘intro-setup’ (yeah – kinda Moffatt-esque), the actual piece makes a tiny bit more sense, although try the first link for an album track that is far easier to get into.

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht Haha! YouTube’s even more addictive than DW bonkers theories, LOL.

Thanks for Fripp – will check him out in a wee while.  And Big Mama Thornton’s just amazing. Her Hound Dog just oozes sleaze 😉

In reply – and to tuck you into bed with a smile – (and picking up thematically on @juniperfish‘s Led Zep Rain Song post earlier) – I give you Sister Rosetta Tharp – Didn’t it Rain (Manchester 64 (since we’re heading “north” on Sat apparently) – they knew how to do location shoots in those days, LOL. Electric cables, rain – pah!) Nighty night

ScaryB @scaryb

OK, last one. Promise 😀    Staying with a 60s theme – The Bonzo Doodah Dog Band and Beautiful Zelda (from Galaxy 4 (as in where the Drahvins come from)) Gotta watch out for those space girls 🙂 (not sure how Viv Stanshall gets away with the finger but ah, they were more innocent times! (well the continuity people were))

Whisht @whisht

right.

@scaryb – its late (ok ok I know we now have a follow-the-sun participation here but as with the Tardis – its relative!).

But….
    Sister Rosetta Tharp – Godmother of Rock!
    yep, that is one awesome woman!

All I can do as a return is a bit lazy (like a forehand smash) as you’ll know this but… like a forearm smash here is a return of the same song but I give you the greatest gospel singer of all time – Mahalia Jackson at Newport 1958.

And yes – it was raining!

http://www.wat.tv/video/mahalia-jackson-mat4_2fgqp_.html

(better quality than Youtube but turn it fully up!).
    great pianist too!
    (this is also on the magnificent film Jazz on a Summer’s Day – Newport ’58)

Whisht @whisht

as for the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah underspin lob…..

Beautiful Zelda????!!!?????

are you serious????!!!!???

Whisht @whisht

Here’s something that my brother (or should that be “me bruvver” if we have this North/ South thing going on…. which reminds me….. here’s a link to a North based song for all you Fall fans).

anyway (back on track), something brilliant my brother did for my birthday several years ago, was to buy me the single of what was number 1 on that day.
    Simple idea, but bloomin’ lovely!

So here’s what was number 1 when Dr Who first aired 23rd November 1963

so – what was your number 1…?

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht A very belated return to your Mahalia Jackson – (a big thank you for the clip, she’s always great) – this is Odetta with Waterboy (River – Dr.. (OK, it’s not even tenuous, LOL)). If you’ve not come across her, she’s also amazing – and inspiration to a certain Mr Zimmerman in his early days as a protest singer. This is very short but very powerful –  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscVJAYL0wo

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht – nice idea re no 1s for significant dates – bit scary pre 1960s though, so I’m staying on a Bonzo’s groove with their hit single (and accompanying video – a rare thing in 1968)  and a song that may or may not be inspired by the good Doctor. Am astounded that these guys were the resident band on afternoon children’s comedy show, along with several Pythons. But the Beatles liked them, so that helped!

(Hmmm, seem to have lost my embedding knack 🙁 (ah, no found it again – Note to self – make completely separate line for the link))

ScaryB @scaryb

From the Fall to Gerry and the Pacemakers, via Terrahawks and Frippery- this thread is as eclectic as Who itself 😉

PS @whisht I really don’t think that can be the same Zelda from Galaxy 4, LOL. Or maybe she just didn’t age very well!

Whisht @whisht

hey @scaryb – thanks for those!

The Odetta clip had a ‘related’ clip on You tube of Sonny Boy Williamson singing Nine Below Zero.

Now, on the other Crimson thread we’ve been talking about how the internet “changed everything” and it kinda applies for me here as well.

When I first listened to him I just had one CD and one or two pics of him on it and that is all I ever pictured in my mind. It never occurred to me to look in books for other pictures.

Now, after seeing your clip, I’ve seen him play for the very first time! I never knew he was a performer and not just a great player.
    The internet not only changes access to stuff but shapes our attitude as well. If I was starting out now, I wouldn’t be saving money to buy music – my expectation would be to access anything I want at the touch of a keyboard.

But this is the music thread so I’l leave the socieatal stuff to those that know more about it on the other thread…!

thanks for the link – now to find a reply….

Whisht @whisht

ok @scaryb – you mentioned before ‘great female voices’, so I just had to reply with this.

and of course it has echoes of conversations on the Crimson thread and elsewhere as to the poetry between myth/religious beliefs and science.

Whisht @whisht

ok – not directed at anyone particularly… but I was thinking of songs for each episode.
    Not just which song featured in an episode, but a tune that might be brought to mind by the episode, or something jokey or whatever.

For instance… when I saw tBoSJ and then JttCotT I thought of this great tune (from a great album seared into my childhood memory as it was one of the 2 great albums that either my sister or brother had bought):

“I read her diary…

she read my letters…”

brave heart, Clara…

Whisht @whisht

So, @juniperfish‘s posts waaayyyyyy up the page, had a distinctly hippy flava (and no problems with that!!).

Been trying to think of something that has some mention of space etc, feels similar but isn’t just yet-another-hit-from-the-era.

So, thought a bit of Flaming Lips might be appropriate – hope you like it!

(if you do, there’s a pretty good pitchfork film of the making of the album. But pitchfork did an even better film of the early albums by Belle and Sebastien who are gorgeous!! Its a great film and if you like your music indie-folky gentle and bittersweet, then you can do no better!)

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.