On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@purofilion @bluesqueakpip

re the Crimson Horror – that was one of my favourites 😉  I loved Smithy’s performance, and Diana Rigg and Rachel Stirling knocked it out the park (as BSP pointed out) for nuance.  There are some advantages to having grown up with the show in the 60s – it’s easier to overlook the occasional mis-step in monster design when the sub-text and characterisation was so strong 🙂

The memory worm (ta for the post @wolfweed) OTOH is seriously creepy, esp from the underside. Ugh! 😀

alloftimeandspace @alloftimeandspace

@fatmaninabox

I know illegal downloads is the worst thing you can do to a show you love.  But I live in Pakistan, where all the BBC channel shows is top gear! Not to hate on them, I love Top Gear, but I miss out on most of the spectacular stuff BBC does. Also, ordering DVDs becomes even more expensive when you convert pounds into my currency, not to mention shipping charges.

If you could give me a link to a place where I can buy DVDs from that would be much appreciated. Maybe I could buy a little at a time. Amazon?

Arbutus @arbutus

@scaryb

There are some advantages to having grown up with the show in the 60s – it’s easier to overlook the occasional mis-step in monster design when the sub-text and characterisation was so strong.

How true! And to be fair, Mr. Sweet was certainly better executed than a number of famous missteps from Who History. As @bluesqueakpip pointed out, I think the eyes were the real problem. I just know that (as often happened BG, as you say) that in the midst of an episode that was fairly dark and horrific, the reveal of that monster was one of a few moments that pulled me right out of the mood!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

All this talk of Crimson Horror and Diana Rigg is opportune! We have a new idea to try out in a side project for anyone who wants some additional “homework”. An opportunity to view and discuss her work in The Avengers – Too Many Christmas Tree.

@miapatrick

one course I came across a comment about how, in the 19th century, novels were a kind of conversation, influenced by and influencing each other. I think the same can be true about television programs, and Doctor Who is especially chatty

Absolutely – the way TV culture bounces ideas between itself is astonishing, especially if they share some similar personnel, or have time to sink into pop culture. I hope you enjoy it, as I think it has a lot to offer the Doctor Who fan. I’ll be interested to see what people make of the relationship between Steed and Mrs Peel, certainly.

Anonymous @

@denvaldron , yes I would echo @tardisblue @pedant and JimTheFish  and @shazzbot in suggesting your rather long posts be placed in a blog. I, for one, never liked The Shalka, though, I’ll certainly congratulate you on your level of evaluation of this ‘project’ but would argue Grant’s acting/voices and even the story was cold and uninspiring. What I like about this forum, what drew me to it, was that people recognised others’ existence -there was/is a sense of understanding of other peoples’ viewpoints and of actually stating them and referring specifically to others. A nice touch. A great back and forth so that everyone feels included. It’s a generous idea, isn’t it?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@purofilion

I’m not quite sure what value you are adding to this point, which has caused some difficulty in the past and, in fact, is an exchange that happened before you joined the site. For more information, please refer to the last couple of pages of the website comments section.

Anonymous @

I’m sorry @phaseshift and @denvaldron, I had no intention of upsetting anyone, I was simply adding my opinion that the posts, whilst interesting, could have a place in a specified blog -this is echoed by others. @DenValdron has evaluated some interesting plots and given us a great deal to think of , so a separate blog would add value. Do I like those Shalka episodes? No, they’re not for me. I don’t believe I must agree with every opinion, and yet did so respectfully. I explained why I was drawn to this site -that it’s a place for all; (or so I believed).  In every comment, I have shown extreme care and attempted to sign off formally. I actually feel as though you’ve jumped down my throat ever so quickly, but these things happen. Relationships on the internet turn sour quite quickly and it’s possible for me to take offence. I believed I had added some compassionate, thoughtful comments to a number of forums and was welcomed by warm people (although I can stipulate that there are definite cliques which make it hard sometimes to get a foot in). In re-reading my original post, I will add that it must be other comments I’ve made to which you’ve taken some offence. Perhaps,I should disappear now. Good things are often short: and I believed I had made a little home here.

Kindest,

purofilion

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@purofilion

Nothing in my post would suggest you haven’t found a home here. When moving into a new home, you may be unaware of wider issues in your neighbourhood and it can be wise to tread carefully.

From my point of view, @denvaldron was the subject of some unfortunate attitudes when first joining, which are directly “clique” related. However, the after effects of mentions (which are copied to the user by e-mail, as you know) can create a drip feed of feedback which to the receiver may paint a negative picture of the site. Not, in your words, very friendly. I have used his username to directly tell him I am making this point and would urge other users to consider this point carefully.

We welcome contributions and will work to find the appropriate place to put them. However, my duties of Mod include thinking about the welfare of all those who have signed up.

Some old arguments are best to keep out of, if you don’t know the context.

Whisht @whisht

Hi @Purofilion – please don’t leave!

You’ve wandered into some old ground without knowing it – not your fault.

You’ve been the model of civility and sincerity and are a pleasure to read. You add to the community here and would be a true loss if you were to step back.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@Purofilion – I’m also saying ‘please don’t leave’. I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts and you are an excellent contributor. As @whisht says – you’ve simply wandered into an old argument.

ScaryB @scaryb

@Purofilion

Ditto @whisht and @bluesqueakpip

And from an extremely selfish POV, as RL has kept me off the site recently and I’ve had no chance to interact with you, and was looking forward to it.  But yes, old family arguments are generally best avoided  😉

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

With huge amounts of respect, your first comment could be read in different ways, with different undertones.  Pls don’t take this badly, we all do it sometimes  (and I’m crossing my fingers you know me well enough that you won’t mis-read this, it’s not meant as criticism, just a comment). @Purofilion knows you less well than some of the rest of us, so has less context to judge from.

::ducks head back under the parapet::

Timeloop @timeloop

@purofilion

I agree with the others. Please stay.

All I can say is please do try to understand @PhaseShifts point of view. As a mod he had to deal with the situation. You picking up the subject when it had calmed down certainly can provoke anyone to come across as a bit harsh.

So you simply were moving on a bit of thin ice. @phaseshift most certainly did not try to offend you. Don’t let this relationship “turn sour”. Instead, take a step back and cast a second look at it. Be compassionate and thoughtful and please stay =)

One for all and all for one 😉

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

No offence taken at all. 🙂

I will point out to @purofilion that if they feel aggrieved by anything they can take it up with another Mod or @craig by PM. We’re not a hive mind and that may seem a more sensible course of action to take rather than to immediately withdraw from the site.

Timeloop @timeloop

@phaseshift I beat you by 2 seconds 😆

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@timeloop

Drat my slow internet connection! (Shakes fist at sky) 😀

Timeloop @timeloop

@purofilion See, that’s a good example for context that @scaryb pointed out. One would usually think the sky is an easy one, right? But there are actually options:

a) Good old @phaseshift is making a gesture that was used in old Greece supposedly directed to Gods who supposedly lived in heaven, in the general direction of the sky.

b) Having lived in London for eight months last year, I do know that sky is also an Internet provider over there.

Knowledge is power. Context is vital. Chin up and keep a stiff upper lip (such a weird saying I also know from that time).

Cheers,

Timeloop

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion  @phaseshift

May I just add the perspective of a new member who has followed the blog for a long time but not contributed until recently? A new member (as opposed to a troll) can feel particularly sensitive to criticism. In my own experience, what prompted me to join this forum (something I have never done before) was the erudition, enthusiasm, and level of debate that I found here. I was very impressed by all of you, and it took some courage for me to sign on and give myself a voice. When I received my first replies from people whose posts I have been admiring for the past year, it was very exciting. Had they appeared critical to my hesitant eyes, I would have been crushed.

@purofilion  Please don’t disappear!

Zaphod @zaphod

@alloftimeandspace  Hi neighbor! I’m from India, and I completely understand your problems. We don’t even have BBC here any longer. There is no chance Doctor Who will ever be broadcast on my tv again (Unless the british economy improves and they begin broadcasting here again). Nor can I buy the latest or earlier seasons on DVD since only Hollywood blockbusters are available in the stores (or online).  Not sure where I’m going with this, but just wanted to say you’re not alone in trying to sustain and expand your Doctor Who fandom in the absence of easy legal access to the series.

But as others have pointed out this is not a file sharing site. Living in this corner of the globe I’m sure you have figured out ways and means to access entertainment that geography/history/economy etc denies us.  So watch whichever way you can, support it legally whenever possible and come here and discuss your thoughts and bonkers ideas here (or just lurk if you’re shy like me).

Renaissance @renaissance
    Anonymous @

@purofilion

We are both new signups to this forum.  And I suspect we both ‘bit the bullet’ and created logins because after a lengthy period of time browsing the site, we decided what we’d been reading was quite to our liking, and wanted to take part.

And both being ‘lurkers’ for a time prior to our respective signups, we’re both aware that there was some unpleasantness on the site recently.   It happens.  Neither of us was involved personally in that.  I want to tell you that your posts were influential to my own sign-up.  And you single-handedly made my girlfriend realise that DW forums could be places of thoughtful, literate, cerebral, and civilised discussion.

Long may you continue to post your thoughts here.

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

Anonymous @

thank you; to disappear now would be churlish. I just felt utterly stumped (without referring to the ‘thing’ again), I didn’t know about a conversation on “web pages” : I don’t read all of them! Anyway, all fine but I don’t like barking moderators.  I shall “shake fist at sky” as was recommended -here, it’s Optus. I know, doesn’t have the same effect.

kindest,

purofilion

Whisht @whisht

btw – as @phaseshift himself said (damn I can’t find the right post) ‘Moderator’ isn’t a position of seniority.

Its just one of us (yes all of us who come and read – yes you) putting their hand up and saying “yeah, I’ll put the extra effort in and help out”. And he has done a lot of that to help shape where we are.

but he’s just a normal bloke (though obviously scary as shit due to the whole “Master” thang). [here’s where I insert smiley face].

The important thing is that no one* here is more important than the others (which Craig himself has affirmed several times so fair play to the guy who made the effort in the first place!).

I’m slightly ashamed that I haven’t put my own hand up to help out more, but all I’m cack-handedly trying to say is that this place may be unique and will certainly crumble if new voices don’t join in.

* maybe it ain’t obvious, but I ain’t no tree hugging hippy, so trolls will have their throat stamped on. I detest the fact that they destroy trust.

Anonymous @

@whisht

I feel like I’m stalking you now. But you leave yourself open to ‘tree-hugging’ ripostes …

@everyone
    You think you’ve got problems? I’ve been trying to microwave a Christmas cake…

😀

Anonymous @

@whisht indeed, I agree and I know that moderators have a tough job. There’s little appreciation and they have to be on “troll alert” (a term I learned from my son yesterday). So, having established I’m not, I understand that sensitivity to new members is a good idea and we (as news members) need to be on the look out for any areas of difficulty/sensitivity ourselves and I’m fine with that -“totally”, as my boy would say. Again, I didn’t mean barking as in “all mods”, I meant, I guess, people barking at me-when I didn’t think I’d anything at all wrong in the first place. Boy, this is hard. Anyway, I shall apologise again and not be foolish, where possible or childish either 🙂 But it’s Christmas… 🙂

Forgive me. Am I nervous of @phaseshift; you betcha. Am I sorry, of course.

purofilion

Anonymous @

Cripes , so much for writing then :  I didn’t think I’d *said* anything

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@purofilion

I, too, am glad you’re back, and that you understand that we sometimes have a difficult job to do. Although you made an error you’re very much forgiven. As everyone who makes an honest error will always be on here.

I think we’re forging something new here, something that there is no rule book for, and we’re all learning as we go along. This isn’t a complete free-for-all, which is why only Mods can create new topics, and it isn’t tightly controlled either, as I’d like it to be mostly self-regulating. Despite having to police it sometimes I’d like to think it will remain a friendly club for real enthusiasts and fans, and somewhere where everyone respects each other.

I haven’t seen that on many, if any, forums, and I hope that’s why this place is attractive (to you, and to everyone else), because at the moment, as far as I know, it is pretty much unique. I’d like to think it is anyway.

I look forward to more of your contributions.

ScaryB @scaryb

@purofilion Good to see you back 🙂 Remember – barking’s always better than biting and one doesn’t inevitably lead to the other.

@MartyB That’s an impressive bark you have there 😉

@bluesqueakpip Er… microwaving a Christmas cake…??? Does that work?  (just don’t do it in anything resembling silver foil! 😯 (cybercake fail))

And welcome to @alloftimeandspace and welcome back @zaphod

Mega sympathies to both of you – that’s tough being out of broadcast range. Sounds as bad as Canada (@Blenkinsopthebrave territory). Lots of bark there I believe. But not much Dr Who.

@scaryb – the proof of the Christmas Cake’s in the eating, as they say. 😉 But a skewer came out clean, so I think it’s cooked – even if the texture does feel as if it’s a cross between a cake and a pudding.

If you’re wondering, I microwaved it on the ‘defrost’ setting, very slowly.

Not being an SFX person, I didn’t want exciting displays of arc-ing electricity. So I used greaseproof paper. 😉

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

Glad it worked.

I, uh, only mentioned the silver foil cos… well, put it this way, microwaves are a bit newfangled for our family 😳 My mum killed another one when she put it on with nothing in it “to heat up”.  Well, it is called an oven!

Anonymous @

@scaryb, we don’t have many appliances in our house -not a blender, not a bread maker and the toaster (until John brought home a 6 slice toaster bigger than the TARDIS) was 22 years old. A microwave, yes: but mine, I swear, is actually melting inside! But my brother and his wife despise all appliances and so when they built an impressively expensive kitchen they didn’t want a microwave. My sis-in-law said. “It takes all the fun out of cooking, I enjoy taking time to do things the right way” -implying that as we use a microwave, we can’t possibly be real cooks.  When I visit, she takes time alright: 9 pm to eat dinner? Yikes. I’m ready to eat a microwave by then and the old bits of food sticking to it as well.

cheers, purofilion

Arbutus @arbutus

@bluesqueakpip @scaryb @purofilion

Ha. We actually have quite a few appliances, (I will with particular defiance admit to the espresso machine and the four-slice toaster!) but no microwave. Our kitchen is sadly not bigger on the inside (it’s quite possibly smaller on the inside) and I had to choose between the Kitchen Aid mixer and a microwave. I like to make bread, so the mixer was the winner. But now, when I’m somewhere where I have to use a microwave, I spend at least five minutes trying to work out all the rules before I can do anything, so it’s less of a time saver than intended.  🙂

Anonymous @

@arbutus @bluesqueakpip @scaryb @Purofilion

All this talk of kitchen appliances is very fascinating but could you do it on the ‘Rose and Crown thread’?

Only joking 😉 – all this new found power’s gone to my head!

A few months ago, due to my kettle springing a leak (in case you didn’t already know, water and electricity – not a good combination!), I decided to make my morning cuppa in the microwave. I found out, to my horror, that tea-bags have a tendency to explode. The resulting mess damaged my microwave beyond repair.

On the plus side, The pattern in the tealeaves predicted I would soon become Master of the Universe. I see being made a ‘mod’ as one small step toward that goal 😈

janetteB @janetteb

I thought I would check in and say hi. Of late I have been reduced to lurking due to  the totally unreasonable demands of real life. I am still catching up with TDoTD thread. I haven’t got to the Christmas special discussion yet. Nice to see lots of new members adding to this little community. welcome all. It does seem there have been a few issues which I’m glad to have missed. Running a forum is no easier than any organisation that involves humans. Congrats to @fatmaninabox on your promotion to Time Lord status. (Can you please give me two extra months between now and christmas. Urgently required.)

Hope to catch up on the discussion soon.

(@Bluesqueakpip, my aunt made all her cakes in the microwave for many years so it certainly can be done. I’m sure yours will be scrummy and better too moist than too dry.)

cheers

Janette

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@timeloop

a) Good old @phaseshift

You’re not going to let the age thing go anytime soon are you. 😉

Apologies for having to drop out. Our local telephone exchange is having improvement works to increase internet speed. In the fine tradition of UK workmanship, this means that everything has become much slower, or like yesterday, non-existent.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed

Your post 22811 was (as the teens have it) ‘NOT FAIR’!

🙂

Although that having been said, isn’t it amazing that a costume which causes bile to rise up in the back of one’s throat at the mere mention of a particular Doctor, on another incarnation of the Doctor seems quite appropriate?

Matt Smith could’ve carried off the Clown Suit.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

<sprinkles glittery seasonal space-dust all over the sofa>

Oops! I know glitter is very hard to get out of things and everyone’s jammy dodgers will now be gold-flecked for weeks…

<swims off, cackling with dubious fishy shadow-double>

Anonymous @

:: wonders what aquarium @juniperfish usually swims in, where jammy dodgers last for weeks ::

@bluesqueakpip

Big deep bow to you.  Microwave cakes are a bear (not that I’d know, it’s all about She Who Cannot Be Named) but at least you dodged the @scaryb silver foil trap.

@fatmaninabox

You are now our newest overlord.  I hope your reign will be benevolent, and have excellent background music.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@fatmaninabox

all this new found power’s gone to my head!

Where else could it go? Aren’t you just a head?

Anonymous @

@janetteb @MartyB @rob

I can be bribed to overlook minor misdemeanours with copious amounts of coffee, Jammy Dodgers, Doughnuts and Jaffa Cakes 😉

@craig

Where else could it go? Aren’t you just a head?

Technically, yes but the body’s still roaming around somewhere. And you really don’t want to know what’s lurking in the dark, dank corners of my box 🙂

alloftimeandspace @alloftimeandspace

@scaryb glad to see someone here can understand our pain. We’re good people in a bad situation 🙂

@zaphod HEY! great to meet you. misery likes company, they say. I’m glad to have met you and will proceed to share my BBC woes with you whenever I feel the need to complain 🙂

Anonymous @

Heard the great Peter O’Toole died today. I saw that Susan Foreman found him “a most attractive actor” . RIP

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@purofilion

<<dancing happy jig>>

I *am* glad to see you’re back.

I’ve had a bit of a cold. So, while I haven’t been active here, I’ve had some time to think and worry whether you’d decided to leave or go back to lurking.

I’m glad that you’re back, and that the forum’s had a bit more discussion about communication and its impact on our shared goals for this wonderful and rare sanctuary of civilized, thoughtful, and respectful discourse and sharing.

I hope folks won’t mind me sharing a bit of my perspective … <<blame the cold medication, if you chose>> … since I was off-line for a bit.

As the forum approaches its one year anniversary, with at least 913 members and 22723 posts nears 1000 members, I think there will be more and more instances of active members who are not keeping up on all the threads in the forum and blogs. At least I hope I’m not the only person who’s begun to prioritize the threads in which I’m most interested over those in which I have less interest. I’d feel embarrassed if I was.

@purofilion, I could be going out on a limb here, but I suspect that you’re not the only member who doesn’t have Website Comments as the first stop on their forum itineraries.

And I have no way of knowing how many people have read your excellently written but on-the-longish-side introductory post in Doctor Who Memories.

I suspect that the length may have deterred some from reading it, or *really reading* it, rather than quickly skimming it.

You describe, I think, a cold and authoritarian upbringing, where you were more likely to be hit with a wooden spoon than to be offered a jelly baby. Knowing that about you, I can understand your being more sensitive to perceived criticism than someone with a happier and more affirming childhood.

I am soooooooooo proud of everyone who’s posted in the past few days. Discussions like the one we just had are hard enough face-to-face. We did good, fellow bonkers-theorists, on talking this through with nothing more than keyboards and internet connections.

Let’s all head over to The Rose and Crown to celebrate. The first round’s on me!

TardisBlue

with a PS to @purfilion:

When I read your Doctor Who memories post, I was struck by your honesty and vulnerability in sharing your life story.

The image you paint of a lonely childhood, motherless too soon, not accepted by your classmates and neighbors, *and* how the magic of the Doctor Who theme encouraged your interest in music — your current career, how various role models on the show helped you build some self-confidence, and so much more.

I never commented on your post. I wasn’t sure, really, *how* I wanted to respond. I wasn’t sure *what* level of intimacy and self-disclosure I was willing to risk leaving on the interwebs for all to see for, perhaps, all time. And I’m still not. But know that you touched me.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@wolfweed (or anyone else who might know)

The Five(ish) Doctors (which I have not been able to see yet).

Is this publically accessible yet? I am suffering the same “Canadian” problem again.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@wolfweed

Thanks!

That was….hilarious!…and brilliant!

Just watched “The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot” again.

Astoundingly excellent.

Perhaps my favourite gag (among so many) was:

“Hold on, why are we doing this?”

Peter: “For the fans.”

Colin: “Of course. For the fans.”

Sylvester: “Right. For the fan.”

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.