On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot – All of it, haha! (Except that – I got to help fly the TARDIS.. but she didn’t like me!!! 🙁  )

Made me VERY excited for the cinema experience tho – they had a moderate sized big screen and showed some clips (as part of a set-up story introduced by Matt (who is stuck in the Pandorica!) – a 12 foot tall, drippy, slimy Silent is quite something. The 3D bits they did were pretty damn good as well (and I’m not a 3D fan)

Only complaint was new paradigm Daleks instead of the classic ones – but they’re still pretty scary when they’re shouting orders and “exterminate” at you. Though not as scary as the earlier type  in the museum that moves when you don’t expect it (kid inside trying the controls!)

LOADS of original props and costumes esp from AG (some refurbished originals from BG) – am gobsmacked at how amazingly well made and detailed they are even close up.  2 things re props – the notes for the cradle (original prop) state that it was River’s – and the Doctor’s when he was a babe.  One of the things hanging from Clara’s utility belt in Asylum is an egg whisk 🙂

And they had a lovely (bittersweet) tribute to Delia Derbyshire.

Hope the amdram’s going well and no falling scenery 😉

Timeloop @timeloop

@scaryb @Shazzbot

I LOVED to see a close-up of all the props used – more AG though as this is my stronger connection to the show. You were kind of guided through the first part with audio/video bits which made you laugh occasionally.

The best part though was to see that there were quite a lot young and old people who could not wait to see it. One young men (in his twenties) in front of me was positively giddy with excitement when the group waited to be let in. Whenever you saw something new people around you were quoting episodes.The weeping angels were scary – even to a friend of mine who I just dragged along.

A perfect keepsake is my litte TARDIS I was super embarrassed to buy in front of two friends as it was labeled as a toy… Worth it anyway. Makes the landing/lift off noise and nobody here knows what it means anyway if they happen to see it. And those who do are just jealous 😉

thommck @thommck

All this talk of cinemas and the trailer is getting me a little bit over-excited!

I remember seeing the Series 6 trailer at the cinema in 3D – it was the main reason I went to see the film because I knew that they were showing the it before.

Doctor Who, on a big screen, in 3D and, something people forget, with the fantastic audio blasting. I can’t think of a better way to spend a night in late November!

ScaryB @scaryb

@timeloop You are so right about the age range of people at the Experience, it’s really lovely. There’s not much else on TV that  works across generations in quite the same way.  And the exhibits are very high quality, glad your friend was impressed. Everyone should have a little TARDIS! 🙂

Anonymous @

@thommck – my little buzz of excitement is growing stronger, too.  🙂

However, you just made me think of something … a lot of commenting was done over on the 50th thread about the new trailer and how the 3D -> 2D transfer process (coupled perhaps with CGI) made some of the people – especially Hartnell – not look very much like themselves.

For those who won’t be watching the 50th special in a cinema nor on a 3D TV, is the whole special going to have that slightly unreal look?  🙁

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot

I think the “look” of the trailer, which may owe something to 3D/2D conversion, was deliberately created to look the way it did. Like they were in stasis/museum etc. Especially as the very early Doctor footage wouldn’t look as good as the later ones for technical reasons. I think the look of it in 2D will be fine, I just hope they haven’t written/filmed it just for the  3D effects.   But I’m happy to keep the faith for now 🙂

Anonymous @

@scaryb

There’s not much else on TV that works across generations in quite the same way

Exactly. And that’s what makes Who so incredible. We’re not just celebrating 50 years of a TV programme. But 50 years of a cultural phenomenon. How many other TV shows have contributed words to the language — Dalek, TARDIS — that have transcended their original show and are now understood as concepts by people who have never seen the show….

Anonymous @

I can believe a Steward’s enquiry may be called for.
    Because at time of writing, way out in front by a HUGE margin is (drum roll please)…Adric.

@phaseshift – I can fully understand why people love Adric so much! His performance in ‘Earthshock Part Five’ was lip-smackingly amazing 😉

@Shazzbot @thommck – I know I’ve done my fair share of whinging about the lack of trailer in the past but my excitement levels are increasing rapidly too. In fact when they show the ‘proper’ trailer, there’s a strong chance that a little bit of wee may leak out 🙂

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox

In fact when they show the ‘proper’ trailer, there’s a strong chance that a little bit of wee may leak out

tea properly spat out onto keyboard.  😆

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@fatmaninabox

Dear incontinent one, there are some things we just don’t want to know about!

Anonymous @

I do like me a half-hunter but I think the face itself is a little garish for my liking. The casing looks fab though.

@jimthefish – yep, I agree with that. I think a plain white face with The Doctors silhouettes in black would have been better. Still, it could’ve been worse.

Fun for the kiddies I suppose but a bit over the top for me. Now, a  Sterling Silver, mechanical movement (none of this quartz/electronic nonsense thank you) version would be a different matter.

@shazzbot

tea properly spat out onto keyboard. 😆

Just be thankful it wasn’t wee 😆 😆

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox – just where the heck do you think my keyboard is?!?  🙂

Anonymous @

@shazzbot

just where the heck do you think my keyboard is?!? 🙂

I think we’re even now. Coffee all over keyboard and monitor 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

I’ve just realised that I’ve got a choice of local cinemas to see TDOTD – ”I can’t stand the confusion in my mind!”
    z

Anonymous @

@scaryb

Hope the amdram’s going well and no falling scenery

Nope, not since the Tech rehearsal.  You were right, a tragic Tech augurs well for a fault-free production.  🙂

My ‘gunshot’ sound effect tonight was apparently so good the actor complimented me on it.  (Last night, I was deaf in one ear for 5 minutes after snapping the 2×4 onto the backstage floor – so tonight, I wore ear defenders and heard nought.  But apparently it was good.  Big grin.  😀 )

I was glad to hear your description of the Doctor Who Experience because it was a couple of years ago for me and I’d forgotten most of it.  (But, I still drink my coffee from the Tardis mug I bought there.)

@wolfweed – you continue to make me laugh.  😆

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

BTW, do we think the cinema tickets are likely to be as difficult to get hold of as the Celebration tickets turned out to be? Just wondering, because they go on sale tomorrow at 9am.

ScaryB @scaryb

Good point @bluesqueakpip, I wouldn’t be surprised, tho I suppose it depends on capacity, how many screenings  (will there just be one, presumably coinciding with the TV broadcast, on the 23rd?) etc, what area…

Are you going for the 02? That would suit me… What about the people going to the Excel on Sat? @craig? @juniperfish? and…? Having had a small taste of DW on big screen (with big sound) earlier this week, I’m really excited about seeing it in cinema (sorry @Shazzbot). Would be nice to coordinate if there’s a bunch of us up for it.

But I think prebooking is highly advisable. (Or wait till nearer the time and pay 10x the price on ebay!)

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot Well done you. A “banging” performance by the sound of it! 😀

PS Re the Experience – I could live in there!! (curled up under a different TARDIS console every night, haha)

Hudsey @hudsey

@bluesquekpip I just ordered and confirmed my cinema tickets via the cineworld website (showing at Crawley) so book away people before the rush!

Yes, possibly they’re doing them one by one. Cineworld West India Quay is on sale; 19:30 is the screening time. The O2 is on the same website, but doesn’t seem to have tickets on sale at the moment.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@wolfweed – they’re very, errr – purple.

Off to bed now. Hopefully I won’t wake up to discover that all the cinema tickets have sold out. 🙂

janetteB @janetteb

@scaryb. re’ your comment about Dr Who appealing to all ages, last night I was talking to a ninety year old fan who clearly had very fond memories of rushing into the living room at 6.30 pm every week day with his family to watch it. That was after attending a totally unrelated meeting where yet again the discussion was hijacked by Dr Who. (I did have a short film to show which included a short clip of Jim Al-Khalili discussing the science of Dr Who but ran out of time to show it so it really wasn’t my fault. 😉 .)

On an not unrelated note, the local Dr Who Fan society are having an event in the city on the 24th to celebrate.

Cheers

Janette

Timeloop @timeloop

@bluesqueakpip Yeah, they are doing it one by one. Berlin Cinemaxx is now up online. At 8.30 (gtm+1) half the room was already booked Oo. All the best seats nearly taken. (Phew – thankfully I decided to do it online and not go to the cinema when it opens at 10.30 or order them over the phone at 10…) At this rate it will be sold out by tomorrow!
    Even the Servers crashed while I was trying to get mine. Who would have thought so many people are into DW in Berlin?

Hmmmmm… well, I now can’t book for the O2 or West India Quay, so quite possibly they have already sold out…

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @scaryb – I hope you get cinema tickets … fingers crossed …

But if you don’t, there’s always my B&B.  No 3D-TV, small room, two dogs … erm, I’m really selling this, aren’t I?!

Anonymous @

@craig – as per @bluesqueakpip‘s comment, it appears the London cinema screening time is 7:30pm.  Should our countdown clock be adjusted accordingly?  (assuming they really meant ‘simulcast’ so the TV schedule will be the same)

@Shazzbot – I’d guess that the reason it’s gone to Cineworld is because of their experience in simulcasting live performances, so I’d say we can presume a 7:30pm start.

They’re not saying ‘sold out’, which may mean they’re looking into increasing the number of screens being used.

Would be quite funny if the 3D screening managed to sell out entire multiplexes. 😀

wheels @wheels

anybody else found the whole process of booking the day of the doctor cinema tickets a frustrating pointless excersice, even the day of the doctor website  hasnt been much use, typing in my address etc. ?

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip and would be cinema viewers –

Re cinema bookings – just spoken to the 02 – they said Don’t Panic!

They’re mostly not on sale yet, due to IT problems. Said to give it an hour or so but keep checking in. They do expect it to sell out but not instantly!  Tel no for cineworld is 0871 200 2000.
    Best of luck peeps 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

I have my ticket. It was the 1st one sold by my local art cinema. They say that the distributors can’t divulge the time of the screening to them until the middle of next month. Hilarious – It’s like some kind of mad conspiracy!
    z

@scaryb and others in London – are we all going for the O2?

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wheels @wheels

success finally managed to get a ticket ! good luck everyone else .

wheels @wheels

thats a fantastic pic wolfweed ! thanks for posting .

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

I’m going for the 02 (still not on sale as far as I can see). Best of luck everyone. (And well done @wheels 🙂  )

Anonymous @

Congrats on getting cinema tickets @wolfweed and @wheels.

Now, just for @scaryb and @bluesqueakpip (and ?? else in London) … much more of this cinema talk and I might have to get back on the horn to the dog-sitter and pile in with you!

P.S. @wolfweed – you tryin’ to tell us something with Doctor Who-themed weddings??  😀

Aaand simultaneously with the forum website, the Cineworld tickets for the O2 come online.

I’ve now booked a ticket at the O2 for the 23rd November.

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

Hurrah!!!!

I managed to get a ticket at a cinema that was convenient for me to get to on that day.

I am attending the AGM of Friends of DalesBus (formerly known as ‘the Yorkshire Dales Public Transport User Group’ that day.

I am the silly idiot who volunteered to put together the programme of guided walks that supports the Sunday DalesBuses, and I needed a venue that I could get to conveniently after the meeting.

It took a while before Vue started taking bookings for their Leeds cinemas. I also booked a “VIP” seat and it seemed from the seating plan that there weren’t many seats unbooked.

PS

I also do a blog about the Friends of DalesBus rambles, and if anyone fancies seeing some decent landscape photos of the Yorkshire Dales (interspersed by some tedious text) they can be found here.

BTW I know that some of this is probably outside of the scope of the site, so feel free to edit out anything considered inappropriate.

Anonymous @

Congrats @steve-thorp on your cinema ticket.

I personally have no problem with you promoting your Dales Bus life here in ‘On the Sofa’; that’s what this thread is for – getting to know other members in a casual environment.  (I’d only have asked you to post in the Rose & Crown had your rambling photos in your link included people with ‘interesting ideas’ on how much clothing to wear in public.  😀 )

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip @Shazzbot (big screen visuals and sound… 3D… once in a lifetime…!! 😈 )

Yay! Me too (O2)

😀

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot – Yes – I’m considering becoming a Dr Who-themed Divorce Lawyer…
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed
    stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

Is Lat Gaga an Auton?

Have the Autons invaded?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

This weekend sees the start of our discussions of part 3 of Tomb of the Cybermen

Tomb of the Cybermen part 3

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/before-gap-bg-episodes/

and in our Steven Moffat retrospective we’re revisiting The Snowmen

The Snowmen

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/steven-moffat-retrospective/

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

I’m a lucky boy. I spent the afternoon watching Dr Who on the big screen. Well, 2 minutes of TBOSJ (the scene where Clara first enters the snog box & exits into the crashing airplane). This was compared with the storyboard to explain how the scene was worked out.

I also got to meet a couple of my heroes – Mr Parkhouse & Mr Ridgway.

Here’s what secrets I garnered from my Dr Who afternoon…

Only certain sequences of Who are storyboarded.

Series 7a & 7b were shot back to back.

The reason the new TARDIS console column doesn’t rise & fall is……. they ran out of money.

The scene in TBOSJ in the plane was shot in a real plane (I’d suspected as much).

There was an original version of TDOTD which featured Eccleston that was storyboarded.

The Xmas special is going to be even better than TDOTD –  it features Matt Smith & it’s set to be an absolute corker.

Peter Capaldi’s Dr might be getting a hatstand….. (this was revealed as though being of some significance)

Parkhouse & Ridgway are nice men.
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

On hatstands…

Since the Tom Baker days, there has always been a hatstand in the TARDIS. That is until the Snowmen.

In ‘Hide’, the Dr is baffled by the fact there’s no hatstand for Clara to place her wet umbrella. For the casual viewer it’s a seemingly throwaway moment but it’s not if you know how Moffat’s mind works.

We noticed at the time but it’s been a while now. How many of us remembered this unresolved plot thread?

My theory is that something wibbly-wobbly has happened to it, possibly along the lines of when the Doctor stole young Amy’s drink so that he could give it to her in her future (she was thirsty later because he had taken it from her earlier – brainbursting!)…….

This begs the question: Why would a future Doctor need a hatstand from his past?

z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Glad you enjoyed the day – sounds interesting. I’m surprised that storyboarding isn’t more used, but then again I suppose it’s more the key scenes and set pieces that would need to be more involved.

This begs the question: Why would a future Doctor need a hatstand from his past?

Tough one. Is it the Artron energy firing one from Frontios? Maybe 12 will be going around “tooled up”.

Oh, gawd. Isn’t it in the Three Doctors (i.e. the Tenth Anniversary Story) that the Troughton Doctor loses his recorder and goes on and on about it throughout the entire story?

I won’t reveal the spoiler -let’s just say that the recorder is a Chekhov’s Duck – but yes, if they’re using the same idea, that hatstand could turn out to be rather important.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.