On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    Arbutus @arbutus

@monochromedimension   Doesn’t it just? I’m positive all of our style and beauty would be renowned throughout Time and Space with the power of the Hairdryer of Rassilon at our command!

@purofilion   Yes, it’s tragically common in the arts, isn’t it? So many of the most gifted are terribly vulnerable, as DW’s “Vincent and the Doctor” demonstrated so beautifully and sadly. (There, a tie-in for the topic Daleks!)

Anonymous @

@faegrl and @arbutus and @whisht and others. Aww shucks and thank you. Faegrl, I have Crohns and some complications arising from surgeries from the initial disease. My insomnia comes from pain which is a fairly common thing. But thank you for all your virtual hugs. Very kind. But it’s an example of a delicate thing leading to something wonderful: the Who Forum, discussing Bach, Reich, Gould and on and on. The world is filled with creativity fit to burst. What a glorious thing. What is Minnesota like?? And Maryland? It’s pronounced ‘Marrylund’, am I right?

Kindest, purofilion

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

@arbutus – Now I need to get me a Hairdryer of Rassilon!

@purofilion – I can’t find the post everyone is referring to, but I hope you feel better soon!

FaeGrl @faegrl

@purofilion – Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that you have Crohns and the complications that comes with it. Hugs! Yes, I love this forum very much, I never thought that classical music and other creativity would be discussed here! I usually go into these forums and mention Chopin and I instantly get a groan in response and attitude of, “Oh, come off it! You’re trying to be ‘fancy’ now, no one likes classical music!” It’s so nice that everyone is not obsessed with being “cool” or “ironic” here, so I can relax and enjoy the many wonderful things that everyone has to share for once. This is a nice slice of heaven here, this forum. 😉

Oh, you are correct! That’s how to say Maryland. I have never been to Maryland yet, but it’s where my mother grew up and plan to retire. I am going to meet with her there and take care of her during her elder years. And I’m not too proud to admit that my mother and I are friends, so I look forward to it! I’m actually from Philadelphia, born and raised there, but needed to get away from the city for a while… to clear my mind and write in peace, so I moved to Minnesota, six months ago. It’s a lot wonderful here, the people are very kind, and my only complaint is that it’s so VERY cold here! I’m use to warmer weather on the east coast, not minus below temps. I think that’s one of the differences between Maryland and Minnesota, the different weather. And different accents… Minnesotans have an accent that’s very close to the Canadian one, Maryland has the more southern accent.

Sorry for the whole life history! I do tend to ramble. 😉

Arbutus @arbutus

@faegrl    Several years ago, our family made a road trip across Canada, and one of our stops was in Fort Frances, literally on the Ontario-Minnesota border. There was a massive fishing derby going on, and the little town was full of Minnesotans. We had a great time at the end of the day, watching them all bring their boats out of the river… these were people who had done this many times, it was well-oiled machine after well-oiled machine. Everyone seemed very nice!

Marinus lost his keys again @marinus-lost-his-keys-again

So I learned about the “existence” of “Doctor Who Meets Scratchman” today and

why can we not have nice things ? I mean, not only does the plot summary sound utterly, beautifully bonkers, but having Vincent Price on Doctor Who ? *faints*

Also, the Sixth Doctor doesn’t even get a subforum/thread to discuss his stories ? He’s easilly in my top favourite Doctors, so that’s a bit surprising to me, wish more people gave him a chance.

And sorry for talking about so much DW in the designated off-topic place but I don’t seem to see any kind of “general” thread/section to voice these comments in.

Anonymous @

@faegrl ‘n @purofilion – ain’t it pronounced ‘mair-uh-lund’?

@faegrl – a good friend of mine had a job interview in Minneapolis years ago.  She rang me after to say that her flight arrived early so she wandered around a shopping mall.  Even before the interview, she’d already decided she couldn’t take the job.

‘Why?’  I asked.

‘Because,’ she said, ‘the clothing on the rails were tagged with “Good to 30 below!”  or “Good to 40 below!”  I couldn’t live in an environment [she said] where they rate their clothing as to how well it would keep me from hypothermia.’

On the other hand, there’s Rhoda Morgenstern in The Mary Tyler Moore Show:  ‘I came to Minneapolis because of the cold. I figured if I was frozen I’d keep better.’

@marinus-lost-his-keys-again – This is the general thread for anything Doctor Who related, so feel free to talk about whatever here. Non-Doctor Who subjects is ‘The Rose and Crown’ thread.

Anonymous @

@monochromedimension – have you thought about applying for a position as Moderator on this forum?

You can save us all!   😀

@scouttheairedale – lol! Yes I could! Hahahaha. No actually I haven’t thought of applying, I don’t like to ask in case people think I’m pushy. I do have a lot of experience with forums though, moderating them too.

@marinus-lost-his-keys-again – Oh also I forgot to mention, the reason why there isn’t a Sixth Doctor forum at the moment is because the admins currently haven’t picked an episode for us all to watch and review of his yet, that’s all. He will most likely get a forum sooner or later for his serials.

Anonymous @

@scouttheairedale – Ah yes, that thread. Best one to use to talk about an individual Doctor. I was merely replying about the forums for each Doctor.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@monochromedimension

He will most likely get a forum sooner or later for his serials.

:shudders:

Actually, it’s not invariably the admins who suggest the episode forums – I’ve suggested one or two. But when we were discussing the Sixth Doctor in the Faces of The Doctor thread, it became rather apparent that the vote for not watching a Sixth Doctor story was a little … overwhelming. Most of us had seen the Sixth on first broadcast; we did not remember it as a happy time for Doctor Who.

So we went with The Caves of Androzani. 🙂

That said, if there’s a group of you who do want to have a Watch With Mother session for the Sixth, the place to go to suggest it is Website Comments.

You’ll need a story which is readily available on the web (Daily Motion or YouTube) and at least one person who’s prepared to post each week.

Whisht @whisht

go for it 6thers!!

Prove us wrong!!

🙂

(by “us” I mean the rather shocked kids who’d grown up week after week with previous Doctors, had got used to them and their idiosyncratic ways, had suffered regenerations and ‘our’ Doctors going and then saw… erm…

“what’s he doing? And… Peri – !!?!!“)

Oh no, not here too… there’s always seems to be quite a bit of dislike for the Sixth Doctor’s seasons on any forum. That’s such a shame; I really like the Sixth Doctor, and will defend him! He shouldn’t be left out.

I’ll think of a serial… hmmmm…

@monochromedimension – go for it!

Anonymous @

Re the 6th Doctor, there was a brief discussion earlier in the year about watching ‘Vengeance On Varos’ ( details here ).

As I’ve never seen any of 6er’s, I’d be happy to watch anything but there was a clip used in last years Proms from ‘Trial’ which looked intriguing (it’s the bit where The Doctor is in the Dock saying that Daleks and Cybermen were tame in comparison to Time Lords or words to that effect).

Talking of re-watches, as we’ve had an SM retrospective, how does doing one for RTD sound? After all, if it wasn’t for him (well, according to his cameo in FishDr 😉 ), there’d be no new Doctor Who and it could be something to lead us up to the 10th AG Who anniversary next year (blimey, nearly 10 years already 😯 )

@fatmaninabox – ‘Varos’ actually might be a good idea as its a serial I have yet to watch and quite a few people hold it in high regard.

‘Trial’ is a season long, even though it has different serials… it all connects. If we were to watch one of them… we’d probably have to watch the entire season.

About about New Who rewatches; I wouldn’t mind it actually… I’ve been meaning to rewatch some Ninth and Tenth Doctor episodes.

@fatmaninabox – I think the suggestion pre-Quatermass was that we’d move onto a Mark Gatiss retrospective (do we include The Lazarus Experiment? On the grounds that he was the guest star?)

The idea was that Gatiss is one of the writers whose work spans every AG Doctor – he’s done scripts for Eccleston, Tennant and Smith. A Gatiss retrospective would only be about six episodes long.

Pre the 50th, we were running an AG Watch With Mother and a BG W.W.M. – so there’s nothing stopping us doing that again. Quatermass will air Episode 6 on the 1st March, so there’s a BG/Pre-Who SF slot available from the 8th onwards. An AG Who WWM could start on the 1st March. Or even tomorrow if someone was really speedy…

There are two arguments against doing an RTD retrospective. One is logistical – we’ve got thirty one episodes to get through. All the two-parters would need to be done as one viewing to be finished in time for September. I could figure out a timetable – but if we tried an episode a week, we’d still be going in late September, long after Series 8 is supposed to start.

The other is that it will be, very specifically, an Eccleston and Tennant retrospective. Because he wanted a clean break there are no Smith episodes written by RTD.

Okay, figuring out the dates, they are as follows.

– The End of Time: Part Two (2010) Either 16th or 23rd August
    – The End of Time: Part One (2009) 16th August
    – The Waters of Mars (2009) 9th August
    – Planet of the Dead (2009) 2nd August
    – The Next Doctor (2008) 26th July
    – Journey’s End (2008) 19th July
    – The Stolen Earth (2008) 19th July
    – Turn Left (2008) 12th July
    – Midnight (2008) 5th July
    – Partners in Crime (2008) 28th June
    – Voyage of the Damned (2007) 21st June
    – Last of the Time Lords (2007) 14th June
    – The Sound of Drums (2007) 14th June
    – Utopia (2007) 7th June
    – Gridlock (2007) 31st May
    – Smith and Jones (2007) 24th May
    – The Runaway Bride (2006) 17th May
    – Doomsday (2006) 10th May
    – Army of Ghosts (2006) 10th May
    – Love & Monsters (2006) 3rd May
    – Tooth and Claw (2006) 26th April
    – New Earth (2006) 19th April
    – The Christmas Invasion (2005) 12th April
    – The Parting of the Ways (2005) 5th April
    – Bad Wolf (2005) 5th April
    – Boom Town (2005) 29th March
    – The Long Game (2005) 22nd March
    – World War Three (2005) 15th March
    – Aliens of London (2005) 15th March
    – The End of the World (2005) 8th March
    – Rose (2005) 1st March

So, yes, technically an RTD retrospective is doable – if we guess that Series 8 isn’t likely to start before the August Bank Holiday weekend and we begin no later than next week…

🙂

Slight correction: there are no Doctor Who Smith episodes written by RTD. He did, of course, write for Smith in the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I’m happy as long as we still get more old series serials for rewatches; I’m fine with New Who… but I do prefer the classic serials.

Oh but kinda sad ‘Dalek’ isn’t on the list… its one of my favourite New Who episodes.

@monochromedimensionDalek was Robert Shearman. To date, his only episode for the TV series, though he’s done quite a few Big Finish plays.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – nicely calculated 🙂 – I didn’t realise RTD had written so many episodes!

As there’s quite a few to get through, we could split it in two. Start with Series 1&2 so that we end with ‘Doomsday’ on the Saturday before S8 airs* and then take a break until it’s finished. We could then watch ‘The Runaway Bride’, S3, S4 and The Specials between 29th Nov and 21st March 2015.

Yes, I’d include TLE in a Mark Gatiss re-watch but would that mean we also have to include TWoRS 😉 ?

*depending on when S8 actually starts – seems likely to be September but I don’t think the exact date has been announced yet.

@bluesqueakpip – And a brilliant episode it was too, best Dalek episode from New Who in my opinion. Though I still have a couple more Dalek episodes to watch from the Eleventh’s seasons.

@fatmaninabox

We’ve already done Mark Gatiss’s other guest appearances, as part of the Moffat retrospective. I don’t care how good an actor he is, we’re not doing them twice. 😈

FaeGrl @faegrl

@arbutus – Yes, Minnesotans are very nice and kind indeed! I’m sure there are some cranky and rude people here, like anywhere else in the world, but I have to honestly say that this is my first time in my life that I’ve met mostly nice people in one town. In Philadelphia, they rather spit on you than to smile and say hello. And the ones who do smile and say hello, you have to be wary that they’re not trying to scam you in some type of way. Philadelphians are a little more rude than New Yorkers, I dare to say. So, when I first got to Minnesota I was a lot nervous when people smiled towards me and said hello… and wanted to have small talk just for the sake of it! My hometown has it’s great points: the buildings, the culture, the artistic events, not to mention all of the cool celebrities that originated from there. However, the people leave much to desire. Or maybe it was me who had the bad luck of running into horrible people all of 32 years in that city? It’s possible. 😛

@ScoutTheAiredale – That’s also correct! There are many ways to say “Maryland” because every state has it’s own accent. So depending on where you live in the US, the name will be pronounced differently. The natives of the state pronounce it more like the name “Marilyn.” It just depends on which part of the country you grow up in. 🙂

LOL! Yes, that is not an exaggeration about the clothing! It gets so very brutally cold here! I use to complain in my old hometown winters, “Ugh… it’s 30F today! It’s so cold!” Now that’s I’m living through a winter in Minnesota, I have a new definition of what “cold” is! I’ve been out in minus 25F, with a face that looked like a spanked baby, and screaming “How do people live in this weather?!! Ahh!!!” And everyone else seem to be polar bears here, not really phased by it, moving just fine in the snow and finding it strange that I’m walking like a shuddering plank all the time. I love this town, but I don’t think I’ll survive another winter here, so I’ll move to Maryland where it’s warmer. 😀

And, I’m jumping in on the other conversations… I do agree that it’s a good idea for @monochromedimension to be a moderator here. She would make a very awesome one, I think! 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Morning all. Apologies for the absence, and to those who posted mentions I’ve missed. I’ll get round to them eventually I’m sure.

I’ve spent the missing period checking on flood damaged industrial sites and looking at long term pollution potential from the flooding in the SW. All a bit depressing and fraught to be honest.

Hope nobody got caught out by it, and especially thoughts to @rob who I think may live near one of the areas of impact.

Anonymous @

@faegrl

I’ve been out in minus 25F, with a face that looked like a spanked baby

What a wonderfully descriptive phrase.

My friend who didn’t take that job in Minneapolis also travelled around the US for business like I did.  We compared notes at one point, and decided that Chicago had the friendliest people we’d ever met, anywhere in the US.  We both agreed that we could happily live in Chicago if it weren’t for the winters … egads, it took 15 minutes to ‘rug up’ just to go outside, and a further 15 minutes to unwrap once one reached one’s destination.  I imagine it’s the same in Minnesota for you.

I’m walking like a shuddering plank all the time

Another delightfully evocative phrase!

FaeGrl @faegrl

@ScoutTheAiredale – Thank you! My friends often like my descriptions for things, I have a funny way with words sometimes. 🙂

I have never been to Chicago, but I’ve heard the same thing, that the people there are very nice. I wonder if their weather is the same or worse than Minnesota. Hmm… Yes, it’s the same situation where it takes a while to “rug up” (I love that phrase, by the way!) before leaving a warm house and venturing out there into arctic weather and then removing everything once I reached my destination. I get comments on my “serious boots”, as they’re tall ones with many laces, water-proofed, and made for hiking snowy mountains pretty much. Minnesotans think they’re awesome and weird (as in “overkill”) at the same time… even though there is A LOT of snow and those boots kept me from having soggy wet socks like everyone else. AND the traction on the boots has kept me from slipping and falling down on the ice, where my flatmates and others were not so lucky. The shop owners here aren’t keen in salting the parking lots, so it’s basically parking your car on a ice skating rink and then trying to skate-walk to the actual building. I bought the boots in Philadelphia, which normally don’t see as much snow and ice like in Minnesota, so I believe they were made for this town specifically. I do love Minnesota and wish I could stay here, but the cold is a little too much for me… and I miss my mother.

And… I guess it doesn’t help that I have a cigarette habit and must go outside to smoke. It was fine in the summer and autumn here, but this winter I find myself in minus degree weather, with my knees knocking together, trying to finish a smoke. Then I wonder to myself, “What the hell am I doing?! This is nuts!” I am trying to quit the habit for sure now. 😛

@faegrl – are you in Minneapolis? Or St Paul? Just guessing; you make it sound like it’s one of the Twin Cities.

I never spent a winter in Minneapolis, though I did come a bit too close to a tornado while I was there. But I heard a lot of stories about their winters. My favourite was someone saying that Minnesotans are generally calm, thoughtful and prudent people. Because the ones that weren’t turned into popsicles…

🙂

FaeGrl @faegrl

@bluesqueakpip – I’m actually in a cityin Minnesota called “Bloomington”. which is fifteen minutes away from Minneapolis. I live in the quiet suburbs and it’s very peaceful here. And yes, there is always a possible chance of a tornado in Minnesota. Every Wednesday they set off the emergency sirens for tornado warnings, just for testing. I haven’t experienced a tornado yet, however in Philadelphia I did live through a massive hurricane (which passed directly through the city and left it unharmed by some unknown miracle, but did a horrible number on our neighbors, New Jersey and New York) and a small-scale earthquake that freaked out everyone one summer. I’m not frighten by a tornado at all, after all that. Ha! Yes, I told my friends that everyone is nice in Minnesota because it’s way too cold here to keep coldness in one’s heart. We have the stay warm as best as we can together, so we might as well start inwardly with our attitudes. Or that’s my guess anyway. 😉

@faegrl – Awww, thanks for the compliment. 🙂

And I feel that this thread has reeeeeally quite gone off the subject of Doctor Who. I should probably direct you all to the ‘Rose and Crown’ thread again, but I will start talking about Doctor Who and hopefully it will return to the thread’s subject topic.  Oh no… I’m such a Topic Dalek… no, no… I’m from Gallifrey… I’m not a Dalek!

Okay wait… wait… thinking of a subject… what serials/episodes/seasons/Doctors are you folks currently watching/going to watch/doing marathons of/etc. at the moment? Or is it just me and Fae right now who are trying to watch lots of Doctor Who?

@monochromedimension

Um, um… I know! There’s a Doctor Who convention in Minneapolis this year!

Console Room, @faegrl, GOH Sophie Aldred and Victoria Watling.

I was in Dinkytown, btw, and it was one of the years when a tornado actually made a touchdown in the Metropolitan Area. How do I always manage to time these things? 😉

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – Oops, I’m sorry! I didn’t know the Sofa was only for Doctor Who related topics, I thought it was for general chat and for newbies to introduce themselves on. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have mentioned Minnesota and everything else here. I’m new still, please don’t exterminate me! *ducks*

Anyways, I have stopped in my Doctor Who viewing for the past two days… Erm, I got distracted again and began watching Youtube. Ugh! However, I’ll try to finish off the last of the reconstruct episodes of Marco Polo later today, so I can get on with the Seventh Doctor serials. Hooray! 🙂

@bluesqueakpip – Really? I didn’t know there was going to be a Who convention here! *gasp* I have to find out when… I never been to a fan convention of any kind before. I may want to try it. 😀

Ah, I feel your pain… I also tend to show up at the wrong place at the wrong time, always. Maybe it’s the Tardis’ fault?

@bluesqueakpip – Oh nice save! I’ve been wanting to go to a Doctor Who convention for a while… that one is probably a bit too far away though! lol

@faegrl – I wouldn’t worry, Daleks don’t seem to exterminate people anymore… I mean, when was the last time somebody actually got exterminated on screen in New Who? Quite a while ago! Then again… if I were a Dalek, I’d be a old Dalek… with the ability to make the screen go negative!

Oh yaaaaay! I hope you like the Seventh’s serials, I could go on and on about him but I’ll try not to! lol

Annnnnnd about conventions; there’s one up north next month that McCoy will be at, but it would take me ages to get up there. I hope he’ll be at a convention closer by at some point… but then again I would really like my Seventh Doctor cosplay to be completed when I meet him.

ScaryB @scaryb

Greetings to everyone on the sofa – my, it’s busy

🙂

Lovin the talk of the Hairdryer of Rassilon – will that go with the Curling (Tongs) of Capaldi?!

<ducks>

@faegrl You mentioned waaay upstream) about various Doctors having different musical talents. Does Eleven in Asylum not claim to be on the Carmen recording? (@Bluesqueakpip?) In fact there were a few musical refs in the first part of series 7, I think (need to go back to the old theories pile… or has it been swept out? (no doubt with a curling broom)

@monochromedimension as @whisht says, the thought of the 6th brings many of us who saw it the first time (or opted to miss it!) the first time round, out in uncontrollable shuddering!  But you won’t be flamed in here for liking him!  There was an appeal on the Faces of the Doctor thread for someone to make a case for the defence, so feel free.

I suspect his rehabilitation (or at least forgiveness) might be more likely with the passing years and the increasing total no of Doctors. i still think he’d have made a great Master.

@Scouttheairedale I really think you should rescue your mum from the back the sofa, multidimensional extension of the TARDIS tho it might be!  (Hmmm, re your sports choices… men in singlets, shorts, beating the cr*p out of each other – I may be sensing a pattern here 🙂  )

And yes congrats to the UK curling team – not a game you can watch casually, it’s as psychologically as complicated as chess sometimes.

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift!!!!!

you’re back! 😀

<jumps and down and falls off the sofa in still a slightly cosmic-sparkly (thanks @juniperfish) ball of overexcited matted fur>

Also happy that the Scottish climate round my way could best be described as “mild” (not normal, but I’ll take it). Sympathies for those up to their necks in mud, shivering or overheating (@Purofilion – glad you’re feeling a bit better)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift Great to have you back. I’ve just posted Episode 5 of Quatermass, so you’ve got a lot of catching up to do, when you do get a moment.

@bluesqueakpip I await your wonderful commentary with baited breath.

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

Right that’s the welcome done – you’ve work to do. Get over to the Quatermass thread,. Epi 5 today*. It’s been brilliant so far)

😉

PS  @Everyone – if we MUST do  6th revisit ( 😉 ) – please please please VENGEANCE  ON VAROS.  Slithery evil Sil is one of the best villains ever.  And it’s only 2 episodes, 45 mins each (could be interesting to look at the pacing etc compared to AG Who)

For AG WWM I’m happy to go with what the majority want but agree with @fatmaninabox‘s suggestion that maybe splitting RTD viewing scheds over different sessions is probably a good idea. (Didn’t quite get the scheduling tho – did you mean starting later?)

And YES vote from me re concurrent viewing of BG and AG episodes

*Craig – thanks for posting

<dammit, fell off the sofa again 😳 >

@scaryb – I’d probably want to watch all his serials before writing up a defense for the Sixth Doctor, I’m getting there though! And yes I agree we need a Sixth Doctor revisit, ‘Varos’ would be perfect for the reasons I mentioned before. That and yes… it has Sil, of whom I know from ‘Mindwarp’; and he’s rather amusing. Ah, random viewing method again!

Anonymous @

@scaryb

<dammit, fell off the sofa again >

… and into me Mum!  She says Hi by the way, and thanks for the help in getting the panto Tardis pictures up onto the Theatre thread.

We have a break between today’s matinee and the evening performance of Sleeping Beauty.  One more show tonight, then the last matinee tomorrow.  I’m falling over myself backstage at how insistent the children become at the ‘he’s behind you!’ moment.  Some of them practically scream themselves dry.

For our non-British contributors, the panto tradition is a joy to behold, and to partake of.  Kind of like the best of Pixar where there are thrills and laughs for all ages.  (and kind of like AG Doctor Who – @monochromedimension, back on topic I am, I am  😀  –  in that you really need to listen to every line to get the full flavour of the show)

Anonymous @

@scaryb

I really think you should rescue your mum from the back the sofa, multidimensional extension of the TARDIS tho it might be!

What, like ‘The Rani’ is better than this?

NOTHING is better than The Pretty Girl.  Who lets her bony, skinny brother sleep in her bed.  (Doing all the Drama Queen business to ensure I know that she’s being, well, a Drama Queen.  ‘How I Suffer Him’ – due on Kindle soon.)

And she’s started play-fighting with her brother again – something which they apparently felt they ‘grew out of’ a few years ago.  They dance around each other, growling, with tails whipping excitedly.  ‘You first!’  ‘No, you first!’  ‘No, you first!’  ‘I’m getting a drink of water, stay there, I’ll be back … ‘

😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@Scouttheairedale

Oh, you are definitely a cutie! But we want your mum back as well, LOL. (Sorry didn’t see her – I fell off the front of the sofa)

Haha, pantos – I forgot one of the great tests of how good it is, especially how scary it is, is how many seats you have to mop up after!!

(oh yes you do!)

Enjoy the last couple of shows

Arbutus @arbutus

@faegrl
    Hee hee. Regarding these cold climates, I think it’s all supposed to be about “inner fibre”. I saw a graphic after the recent snow in Atlanta, showing the amount of snow that had to fall in different places before they would close public schools. It claimed that in the south, this amount was “any snow”, while in Canada and most of the northern USA, it would be two feet! I think that in Canada, our northern equivalent to Chicago would be Winnipeg, Manitoba, an absolutely lovely city with loads of culture and the nicest people. I was there in the summer, but I don’t think I could survive a winter there (it was famously colder than Mars around New Year!). I come from a milder clime, where anything below 0 (celsius) is considered cold. In Calgary, where I have family, they take their jackets off when it gets up to 0!

However, having just come back from the weekly soccer match, played in falling snow this week (in case anyone is interested, the mighty Eagles downed their opponents 5-1), I am actually feeling fairly rugged. Although it will probably take the rest of the day to warm up. Tea, anyone?

@scaryb  Re: Musical Doctors, the Eight Doctor knew Puccini– does that count? (Oh, Doctor, always the name-dropper!)

Arbutus @arbutus

@faegrl @monochromedimension @scaryb

I attended my one and only DW convention back in the eighties. It was an eye opening event for me, as I previously had no idea that people costumed up for these events! The main guest was Colin Baker, and it was very shortly after he had been fired from DW. I remember him talking about this, and being impressed by how restrained he was. He didn’t pretend that he wasn’t angry with certain people at the BBC, and clearly felt that he hadn’t been treated fairly, but was obviously making a huge effort to focus on the positive aspects of his time with the show, and was very gracious to the fans.

FWIW, I don’t mind Sixie at all, although I’m not fond of his earliest episodes. I quite enjoyed some of the later ones, and Trial of a Time Lord is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Some bits are silly, but some of the guest roles are really memorable (especially in the first two serials), and I always enjoyed the Doctor letting the Time Lords have it!

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Can I just say something about doctor 6 although he is not my favorite doctor I don’t have the dislike for him that appears to abound. Whilst as an actor I have heard he could be let’s say “difficult”, the first doctor was also a difficult actor to work with. In part I think the doctors character was as much driven by the then production and writing team, that and BEEBS attempt to give the show a new direction/slightly different format especially in the series which became the trial of the doctor. In some respects I think this was the beginning of the attempt to drop the show from the air although I really liked the seventh doctor and was gobsmacked when the show was dropped from the schedule. Getting back to my point that the sixth doctor should not be vilified for being unsuccessful as the doctor as not every choice will necessarily work out. I believe we have been lucky that so many of the actors have been superlative in the role.
    Just as a bye note I wonder how many of the doctors have previously been in the show prior to their selection as the doctor. Yes I know Capaldi was the pompeian, CBaker played a timelord guard at one point, but have any of the others previously been in the show, obviously hartnell wasn’t duty I was wondering about the others.

ScaryB @scaryb

Hi @devilishrobby

For more discussion on the sixth, see The Faces of the Doctor thread, from the end of page 4.  (You’re right he had the odds stacked against him, but his portrayal didn’t do the character any favours. IMHO 😉 )

Can I respectfully (grovellingly even!) request that all future discussions about no 6 stay over there please.

re who’s appeared in Who as more than one character, have a look at @wolfweed‘s impressively researched recent Spatial Genetic Multiplicity blog – I believe the list is definitive… unless anyone knows better of course 🙂 (re Doctors, I think you’re right with only CP and CB)

ScaryB @scaryb

@arbutus

the Eight Doctor knew Puccini– does that count?

Definitely

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.