On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

@bluesqueakpip – The First Doctor is giggly in a number of serials; a good example is ‘The Web Planet’. Some folks seem to think he’s just the ‘grumpy’ Doctor… but he’s actually pretty eccentric when he wants to be. I also direct everyone’s attention to a couple of scenes in ‘The Space Museum’, one where he’s hiding in the casing of a Dalek, the other when he’s tricking that machine to show very random images, such as a penny farthing bicycle as a means of space/time travel.

@wolfweed – You think the First was put off by the caveman incident?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@monochromedimension  – Perhaps he took to smoking an electronic pipe. Or maybe he progressed onto harder substances such as Vraxoin or Bliss Patches? Or jelly babies?
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

ScaryB @scaryb

Greetings from MIA ScaryB!
    This made me laugh on Twitter this morning

@DalekThay on Twitter (retweeting a Sue Vertue (Moffat’s wife) tweet):

“The THINGS one DOES for WORK. RT @suevertue: How happy is this man now that my Xmas present has finally arrived?!”

ScaryB @scaryb

And Happy St Patrick’s Day to you all (this pic courtesy of Katy Manning)

janetteB @janetteb

@scaryb. The pic of Moffat with his Christmas pressent brings a smile to the face. He really does look like someone whose wishes have been fulfilled.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

And on a St Patrick’s note. The erstwhile second doc is doing well in the running in the RT poll.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-03-17/who-is-your-favourite-famous-patrick

(I’m afraid I feel slightly disloyal in that I felt Paddy Considine had to get my vote.)

Anonymous @

@jimthefish

We forgive you your disloyalty in this instance. Of course, if you’d voted for Patrick Kielty, you’d have a lot of explaining to do.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@fatmaninabox

I confess to disloyalty as well. I voted for Patrick McGoohan. Something to do with age (and the fact that I have always harboured a secret desire to be John Drake from Danger Man).

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@wolfweed – do I see a Crazy Captions picture here?

Scary B’s post at #26469.

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip @wolfweed

Crazy Captions – great idea  (pretty please Mr Ww!)

@jimthefish @fatmaninabox @blenkinsopthebrave  Pah! Some of us know where our loyalties lie (tho I must admin McGoohan gave my cursor a sharp tug!)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip & @scaryb

Your wish is my command!
    z

Crazy Captions 62

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

Belfast yesterday…

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

I couldn’t have put it better myself 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

As we discussed on the News thread (ta, @blenkinsopthebrave and @scaryb), we have opened a new thread for speculation on Series 8. So if you’ve got any theories on what may form the shape of the next phase in the life of the Doctor, a wishlist of thingz you’d like to see, or an unlikely theory on loose ends from Clara’s storyline, let us know:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/series-8-speculationwishlist/

I’ve put in the header a request to keep discussion to only official BBC released teaser items (such as writers and actors), so if you are avoiding that kind of information, avoid the thread.

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Oh @wolfweed why did you post that match the picture game I am thourghly addicted to it only made it to an Eccleston picture grrr I will make it to smith or even Capaldi if they have a pic

Anonymous @

It’s silly quiz time! Radio Times has a ‘Which Doctor are you?’ quiz. It turns out that I’m the First Doctor, wise and a bit grumpy 😀

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-03-25/doctor-who-which-doctor-are-you

@fatmaninabox. It seems  that I am the 1st Doctor too. (And I was trying so hard to be Colin Baker…apparently ‘wise and a bit grumpy’ will out. At least I got the grumpy bit.)

Lol I’m the 4th doctor apparently

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I answered as honestly as possible and the result was the ninth Doctor. It’s been over a year so I guess I’m out of here! 😉

@craig

If I answered as honestly as possible, I suspect the result would have been Colin Baker. 🙁

So I lied. David Tennant. 😀

janetteB @janetteb

I am the fourth Doctor 🙂 Ah the danger of role models.

Cheers

Janette

Blimey. More dangers in tampering with the timeline:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/mar/29/daylight-saving-heart-attack-time-sleep

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I don’t know what it is about the clocks changing, but last year at this time I had difficulty with internet speeds, and it’s happened again. Started after Midnight Saturday, and only recovered yesterday evening. Still a bit slow, but at least all components like CSS seem to work consistently.

Anyway, after The Time Meddler, we are moving onto The Mind Robber for Troughton, but can I ask you for your thoughts on a Third Doctor Adventure? Nominations were all over for him, with Inferno, Day of the Doctor, The Daemons, Curse of Peladon and I’m sure a couple more mentioned. No real drive towards any one of them though. What do you think would do Pertwee justice?

Prices for The Mind Robber DVD are all around 6.50 at the moment (6.49 at the BBC shop).

Anonymous @

@phaseshift — personally I’d go for The Daemons but as I’ve not really been participating in the current retrospectives my vote should probably not hold any weight really. I’m unlikely to weigh into the Mind Robber too much either. It’s not a story I’ve ever really been able to get on with that much.

On an entirely unrelated note, if anyone’s in the Frozen North at the moment at all there’s a Comics Expo on at Dundee University this Saturday. It’s free to get in and erstwhile Doctor Who Magazine artist Dan McDaid will be in attendance….

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@jimthefish – All comers for nominations really, even if you’re not sure you’ll be commentating. I know Pertwee’s not your favourite, but you may get to a point in a month when you feel like jumping in, so it may as well be something you fancy watching.

Inferno is supposed to be Nick Courtney’s favourite – because he and all the UNIT team got to play dual roles. It’s also one I’ve never seen.

Fine with The Daemons – and it would be interesting to watch that after our rewatch of Quatermass.

Day of the Doctor was a pre-50th suggestion; it’s interesting because it has an example of a time loop in it. Other than that, it has the famous ‘invade Earth with three Daleks’ sequences – though if you get the remastered special edition, they’ve CGI’d lots and lots of Daleks in so that it doesn’t look half bad. 🙂

No feelings on Curse of Peladon.

The Mind Robber came yesterday, so I’m all set. 😀

@phaseshift

I would plug for Inferno. For anyone who has never seen it, it is a corker, and a fine example of the show trying something quite different.

But happy with whatever is chosen, of course.

Sannya @sannya

Hello,

I’m new here. It is a little bit confusing O.o
    I really love Doctor Who, I’ve started watching it half a year ago and fell in love 😀

P.S. Is it right, that I can’t open new Threads? So I only can answer? Please help me^^

Anonymous @

@sannya – Welcome to the Forum 🙂

To answer your question, no you can’t start a new thread but if you have a particular topic in mind, feel free to post your suggestion on the Website Comments thread.

janetteB @janetteb

I’d second @bluesqueakpip‘s suggestion of Day of the Daleks. That was always one of my favourite Pertwee stories and also one of Moffat’s. I would recommend the remastered version but also interesting to discuss the merits of that. Should old stories be touched up or does that destroy their integrity. (Also I could actually participate a little as I only watching this a few months ago. I don’t seem to get round to doing the re watches. Not at this time anyway. )

Cheers

Janette

Nick @nick

@janetteb

That’s an interesting question to raise. On the whole, If I was voting I’d vote for the original almost always. Whilst some of the special effect shots are pretty cringe worthy these days, I think you’d often need to redo significant amounts of other screen time (all the blue screen stuff for example) if you’re going to address the visual short comings as well as changing the effects shots proper in my opinion.

I haven’t seen the special version of Day of the Daleks you refer to, but reading your description makes me ask just how many Daleks did they CGI in and in what scenes ? It seems to me that f you have lots of Daleks around, then why do they need to build Slave Factory Camps and import lots of Ogrons to guard the camps, which undermines that element of the story to a degree (IMO anyway). The only scene in the story I can think of which might demand a show of Dalek force, would be the very end one, when they try to destroy the Conference. What do you think ?

I watched both of the Peladon stories a couple of weeks ago (my first watch since the 1970s) and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised :).

Thanks

Nick

janetteB @janetteb

@nick From memory the daleks weren’t CGI’d in. There was also a description of how it was done. They weren’t adding inconsistent effects. I did not realise until someway through that I was watching a re-vamped version. The changes were mostly very minor and in keeping with the original. Admittedly it had been years since watching the original. The final scene in the original with the three daleks advancing on the house did not work ever. It was not well done at the time. There is discussion about this in the tape extras. So I don’t object to the touching up though it should never take the place of the original.

Cheers

Janette

@nick

Sorry to hear you’ve been ill. 🙁

The CGI was very subtle. The major addition was indeed the scene at the very end, where it had been universally agreed at the time that the lack of Daleks detracted from the drama.

When I say ‘universally agreed’, I mean that the director, actors and producers are on record as saying they bitterly wished that they’d had more Daleks and they thought that the lack of Daleks damaged the impact of the scene.

In that case I’d agree with a CGI revamp: it gives the audience a chance to see the show that the people making it wanted them to see. Not what they had to settle for.

Nick @nick

@janetteb @bluesqueakpip

Ah, that sounds much more minor than I thought from your description. I have the DVD for Earthshock where the default version plays with new weapons effects instead of the original (better looking but still pretty poor as there’s a limit to how much tinkering they could do to the original). Tinkering around the edges that doesn’t really change the look and feel of the story is as much as I think you should go in the default version, although having a fuller version is definitely has curiosity value (and I suppose more than that if it helps some of the younger viewers appreciate the older stories better).

I had a mini-Pertwee season while on R&R as I watched Ambassadors of Death, The Three Doctors, both Peladon Stories, Mind of Evil, Colony is Space, The Time Monster and Daemons across about 10 days. Apart from being Pertwee’d out by the end (I was going to watch Green Death and Terror of the Autons as well)  – I also did Web Of Fear and The Web Planet plus all the special features – I was pleasantly surprised by pretty much all of the stories. They’re all imperfect but I actually enjoyed watching them, warts and all, more than I expected too.

It also reminded me that I’m far more tough on AG Who than  I ought to be, but I think that’s in part because:

• I’m not a youngster anymore and I see the things which irate me in the way the stories are told (which I don’t do as much for BG Who it seems) and
    • with the larger budget I seem to have a higher expectation of the finished article than perhaps I should.

Cheers

Nick

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip @blenkinsopthebrave @janetteb @nick

Thanks – keep the suggestions coming. I’m actually in the mood for any Pertwee story since I haven’t watched any since Terror of the Autons last year, and before that it was March 2013 I had a bit of a review.

While I really like Inferno myself, I have one slight concern about it, which may make you laugh @blenkinsopthebrave. At seven weeks, it’s in danger of pushing the eventual choice for a McCoy story into the new series with Peter Capaldi! (that’s based on something like a 4-4-2 episode formation for Baker I, Davison and Baker II). Yes – time really will fly with a Doctor Who retrospective. 🙂

It’s actually a good point on the update to Day of the Daleks @janetteb and it’s an interesting approach. We touched very lightly on updates in our BG review last year (I think it may have been an episode of Talons when we talked about the rat), and I mentioned the update of Kinda (there is a video of the upgrade to that, I think).

I own a fair few where visual effects have been remixed – Earthshock, Arc in Space, Five Doctors, Kinda, etc. and I think they have largely been well done. Kinda, I won’t watch the original ending now. The CGI snake isn’t fantastic, but the original was REALLY lamentable, and I can remember cringing at the end of the story as an 11 year old with my older brother (not a Who fan) laughing his head off at how abysmal it looked. I’ve always thought it a shame, as the story itself is really good. It was also one of the choices for a later Davison story.

What I like about the BBC releases in general is that often they allow you to see the production with or without updates (as with Arc in Space) and nothing changes the net meaning or result of the story. It’s not a case of “Greedo shot first!” tinkering that George Lucas did with Star Wars (to much outrage).

Nick @nick

@bluesqueakpip

Thanks you, I won’t bore you with the details, except to say I don’t recommend it as a way to take 3 weeks off work !

Cheers

Nick

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift – ‘Carnival of Monsters’ is a good 4 parter. ‘The Daemons’ is a little longer at 5 episodes.

I take it we won’t be choosing ‘The Key to Time’ for Tom Baker, or ‘The Trial of a Time Lord’ for Colon Baker…….
    z http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8T65RVQFyJk/SLPjBLf3hNI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/X2gNJOPGbhc/s400/dvd_trialoftimelordCovers.jpgz

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Wow – Carnival of Monsters! That’s a left-field suggestion, and I think was the first Pertwee story I can remember seeing in full because of the repeat in my early teenage years.

I think I discounted Trial in conversation with @monochromedimension (hope she’s keeping well) as it really doesn’t make sense unless you watch it all, and even that’s a matter of opinion. 😉 I’d go with any single story from Key to Time, but not the lot. I may laugh a lot at Power of Kroll though.

Can I just say though that I hope when we get to Colin that the people who pointed out to us we hadn’t covered him, and got me to include him this time will jump in with both feet to give us their opinion. I don’t like the thought of people sniggering in cyberspace thinking “ha – you’re watching it so I don’t have to”. 😀

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Just going back to my memory of Kinda though, and more specifically my Brother – has anyone had the experience of trying to watch the programme at any time with someone who is definitely “anti” it? And trying to keep your enthusiasm alive? I’m just interested to see if there is room for a discussion on a blog or the memories strand.

Going back a couple of posts on the matter of weather to digitally remaster or not, my understanding is in most cases the remastering is primarily to clean up the images especially where the original recording medium has deteriorated. I think in most cases calling it a digitally restored version would be better.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@devilishrobby

Hi – all the DVDs are digitally remastered to improve quality, but quite a few of the “SE” (Special Edition) and “Revisited” Box sets replace (or offer alternatives) to the original effects themselves. I think that was the question @janetteb was posing. I just had a look and found the video I mentioned on Kinda. It shows, side-by-side the original snake (blow up prop) against the “SE” version:

‘Carnival of Monsters’? You don’t think it is a bit too, well, Colin Baker-ish, but before Colin? I see the point about running time, but in that case wouldn’t ‘Day of the Daleks’ or ‘The Three Doctors’ better capture the Pertwee tenure?

Just a suggestion. Will go with whatever the Time Lords decree.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave

I always try to congratulate a leftfield choice! If you enter Carnival of Monsters in the Search bar at the top of the page you’ll see the brevity of mentions that story has ever had in the forums. 🙂

Whenever I see it, I always seem to linger on the fact that Ian Marter (aka Harry Sullivan) is a “Boys own adventure” Sailor (tm Sarah Jane Smith) whichever time period he’s in. A proto Clara?

As @wolfweed has not come down firmly on one story, it’s a suggestion he’s floating, and I await his commitment with anticipation. No rush – we have the first three weeks of the Mind Robber to get through first.

This, as they say, is the People’s choice. I think I’m running 50:50 on my choice winning out on past form, but it all depends on votes – votes – votes.

(I would be obliged if people wouldn’t nominate The Mutants for Pertwee though – that one I have trouble with).

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift – I forgot that it’s a vote (not just suggestions). I’ll be decisive and cast my vote to The Daemons.
    z

Poor old ‘Carnival of Monsters’!

Ian Marter as a Proto-Clara – Love it!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Many thanks for the confirmation!

Poor old ‘Carnival of Monsters’!

I know – I’m not feeling the love!

I actually quite like the B-plot with the isolationist race of cultural knee-jerkers. They remind me of UKIP…and The Timelord (no wonder Pertwee has a moment). And the bit of satire about passively watching monstrosities on TV…..whoops.

..and who can’t love Vorg and Shirna, looking like they just stepped out of an early 1970s special episode of Top of the Pops on the subject of Glam Rock?

They don’t make costumes like this anymore. Many people are happy about that.

and who can’t love Vorg and Shirna

Well…

But I will happily second ‘The Daemons’. A story to watch from behind the sofa!

janetteB @janetteb

I don’t think I have ever watched all of hte Daemons so I will put it second to Day of the Daleks. i think this time I might be able to watch it. A little bit of Dr Who is just what our family needs right now.

Cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

I don’t know if this will have any bearing on our choices at all but here’s a list of stories scheduled to be shown on the Horror Channel starting this Easter:

An Unearthly Child

The Mind Robber

The Daemons

Genesis of the Daleks

The Talons of Weng-Chiang

The Caves of Androzani

Attack of the Cybermen

The Curse of Fenric

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.