On The Sofa (7)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (7)

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 85 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    TheDentistOfDavros @thedentistofdavros

@kharis I think the E-Space trilogy is great as well really enjoyed the last story Warriors’Gate and yes it’s great that everyone likes different episodes it makes conversations like this interesting.

I personally am biased towards Patrick Troughton and Tom Baker as I think there my favourite doctors!

Doctor who is so special in that it can be so different every week so every episode can have its own fans.

Missy @missy

@thedentistofdavros

Here is my list. Explanation: The minus signs are for those epis I’m not so keen on. The double plus signs, are for those I love and the single plus signs, are for those I enjoyed. So, beginning with series 1. (2005) ++ The parting of the ways. + All the rest.
    2. – Tooth and Claw//Love and Monsters. ++ School reunion/ Girl in the fireplace/Satan Pit/ Doomsday. + The rest.
    3. – Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the daleks. ++ Runaway Bride/42/Human Nature/ Family of Blood/Blink. + The rest.
    4. ++ Partners in crime/Fires of Pompeii/Silence in the library/Forest of the dead/Midnight/Turn Left.
    + The rest.
    SPECIALS – DT. – Vampires of Venice/Amy’s choice/ ++ The Next Doctor/The End of time/ + The Rest.
    5. ++11th Hour/ Vincent and the Doctor/The Lodger/ Pandorica Opens/Big bang/ + The rest.
    6. – Curse of the Black spot /Rebel flesh/The almost People/Night Terrors/ The Girl who waited.
    ++ Christmas carol/ The Doctor’s Wife/A Good Man goes to War/Let’s Kill Hitler/Wedding of River song. + The rest.
    7. Part One. – A Town Called Mercy/ ++ Asylum of the Daleks. + The rest.
    7. Part Two. – Rings of Akhaten/Hide. ++ The Snowmen/Bells of Saint John/Journey to the centre of the Tardis\Name of the Doctor. + The rest.
    Christmas specials: – The Doctor the Widow and the Wardrobe. ++ Day of the Doctor/Time of the Doctor.
    8. – Kill the Moon. ++ All of them.
    Christmas Special: ++ Last Christmas.
    9. Parts One and Two++ All of them.
    Don’t think I’ve missed anything.
    Oddly enough, when I was checking the above, I found that most of my ++ were written by Steven Moffat! What a surprise. *smirk*

Happy reading,

Missy

Arbutus @arbutus

@thedentistofdavros     As far as BG episodes go, it’s been a very long time for some of them and there are many that I remember very fondly. But for top favourites I would probably go with some from the Tom Baker era: Pyramids of Mars, The Seeds of Doom, City of Death.

@missy     That’s a very detailed list! 🙂  I’m working my way through a full AG rewatch and have just finished Series 2. Some of these episodes I hadn’t seen in years! For me, the Empty Child/Doctor Dances duo was definitely the highlight of the first series. Dalek and The Unquiet Dead came next. There were none that I strongly disliked, although there were elements in a few that really didn’t work for me. I didn’t love Bad Wolf.

In Series 2, The Girl in the Fireplace and School Reunion topped the list, but I liked a lot of others as well. @puroandson, I had forgotten how good the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit two-parter was! Tooth and Claw was spoiled for me a bit because I found the Doctor/Rose interactions hugely irritating at times. Throughout the series, they had a tendency to get very giggly and cute, and it really grated. Love & Monsters was the weak point, but interestingly I realized after watching it earlier this week that it was mostly the last 15 minutes or so that I really disliked; a lot of it was fine. Similarly, I actually quite liked Fear Her, but found the last 5 minutes annoying. The final two-parter was definitely my favourite of the RTD finales (despite the very weepy ending not really hitting the right note for me).

It is no big surprise to me that, like @missy, my very favourite episodes so far have been Moffat-penned!

Kharis @kharis

@missy Great list, so thorough!

@thedentistofdavros is right, Doctor Who is so unique and wonderful that each list is so different from each fan.  For example I really enjoyed The Rings of Akhatan and Hide

@arbutus I like your classic Who list, and I also noticed my list included a lot of Moffat, including my favourite episode, Heaven Sent.  In the end Fear Her was too slow for me, but like 42 I am starting to separate the good from the boring and seeing that it had some merit.

There really is something for everyone it would seem.  🙂

Hello everyone

@missy Well that was definitely worth the wait. I agree with you on most points and am glad to see that you rate series 1 so highly, I agree with you on series 2 and 3 but have to say that I don’t like partners in crime a great deal. Series 5 is personally my favourite Matt smith series so I am glad to see you like it (I liked Amy’s choice), I’m not keen on much of series 6 but I do like the opening two parter. I agree completely with you on series 7 and 8 (I do consider kill the moon to be the weakest of series 8). I loved series 9 except from the two parter with ashilder and i consider that under the lake – before the flood was the best episodes of the series.

@arbutus Yes the seeds of doom is a firm favourite of mine as is most of the early tom baker episodes.

I shall post a list of my favourites very shortly.

Well here goes! These are my favourites of all time!

William Hartnell (1st) : The Time Meddler, the Daleks

Patrick Troughton (2nd) : The Power and The Evil of the Daleks, The Mind Robber, The Invasion and The Web of Fear, the enemy of the world

Jon Pertwee (3rd) : Spearhead from Space, Inferno, Day of the Daleks

Tom Baker (4th) : Genesis of the Daleks, Terror of the Zygons, Seeds of Doom, The Talons of weng-chiang, The Deadly Assassin,brain of morbius, robots of death

Peter Davison (5th) : Earthshock, Caves of Androzani, Resurrection of the Daleks

Colin Baker (6th) : sorry I haven’t watched too many of these and didn’t like the ones I have seen

Sylvester McCoy (7th) : remembrance of the Daleks, survival

Paul McGann (8th) : didn’t like the movie sorry

Christopher Eccleston (9th) : empty child/doctor dances

David Tennant (10th) : waters of Mars, human nature/family of blood, blink

Matt smith (11th) : eleventh hour, time of angels/flesh and stone, impossible astronaut/day of the moon, Cold War, day of the doctor

Peter Capaldi (12th) : into the dalek, mummy on the orient express, dark water (didn’t like the last part-death in heaven), under the lake/before the flood, heaven sent

I do like other stories but these are the true classics in my opinion.

ichabod @ichabod

Hi, people — a new, post-I’m-outta-here announcement, interview with Moffat:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/comments/445j6w/production_notes_steven_moffat_qa_for_doctor_who/?

I love hearing what the DW people have to say *for themselves* about the show, especially because most of them are so amazingly articulate . . . !

winston @winston

@thedentistofdavros    Not many people like the Doctor Who movie so you needn’t be sorry. Paul McGann does have a short prequel to the Day of the Doctor that you can watch on youtube. I think it is called The Night of the Doctor. You might like him in that.He’s very good.

I am still contemplating my list of favourites. It is a difficult task.

ichabod @ichabod

Can anybody clarify the boxed set situation for me, S9?  Whatever Blu-Ray is, I don’t have it.  I run DVDs on my iMac, which is 5+ yrs old.  There is supposedly (announced some time ago) a boxed set of S9 that includes “Last Christmas”. all of S9 with commentary and features etc., and possibly “Husbands of River Song” as well.

Is this true?

How can I distinguish this version of S9 from ones that don’t include all of that?

Is this completest of DVD sets only available in Blu-Ray format?

Missy @missy

@arbutus. I had all the series on my lap. *grins* I must add, the I actually did not like The Rebel Flesh, or the Almost People. Nothing wrong with the cast, but I simply couldn’t abide these two. AND, I forgot to mention that in series 9 part one, The girl who died and the girl who lived – I could really live wishout.

Unfortuantely, I don’t remember much of the original series from 1963, so can’t comment.

@ichabod Thanks for the link. The question about the ‘screwdriver” given to River in “Husbands” is exactly the same as the one she used in “The Library.” It makes far more sense that it’s the same one, and CapDoc tinkered with it so that River would be saved. he is a Time Lord after all.

Re: The Box set of series 9, is, as far as I know, DVD as well as Blueray. I hope so because I’ve got it on my wish list at AmazonUK. And yes, it does feature The Husbands of River Song and all the rest.
    Fortunately I’ve friend who is going to buy Part 1 and 2 of 9 from me, so I shan’t be much out of pocket.
    Have a look on Amazon, it gives all the details.

Cheers

Missy

Missy @missy

@thedentistofdavros

Aha! Someone else who didn’t like the film with Paul McGann. The only interesting bit, was seeing him regenerating into John Hurt.

Cheers,

Missy

Missy @missy

@ichabod Me again. Does Steven Moffat do a Q and A regularly?

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

Has been a busy week with S/O starting back and work and R.2 beginning the new school year getting back into the school/work routine and all of that, not to mention trying to catch up on some of the tasks I have been neglecting through the long summer holiday so I have not had time until today to even think about my favourites other than to state the obvious which is anything penned by Steven Moffat, with maybe the exception of “Curse of Fatal Death” which was very good for what it was. However today I wrote up a list. Thinking of favourites was easy, reducing the list to something that would not take as long to read as War and Peace was the hard bit. I was surprised to find that it was series nine, rather than ten, that I had the most difficulty with. I thought series ten was overall better but had less stand out episodes.

In making the list I defined “favourites” as those episodes which I tend to re-watch most. Not all are perfect by any means but they all have something that gives them that edge over other stories. Well here goes. I apologise in advance for the long list but this is Dr Who.

I have roughly broken my list up by Doctor’s though I have only seen the fully extant stories of Hartnell and Troughton.

• An Unearthly Child. (mostly for the first episode.)
    • The Romans.

2nd Doctor.

• The MInd Robber.

3rd Doctor

• Monster of Peladon
    • Day of the Daleks
    • Planet of the Spiders.

4th Doctor

• Genesis of the Daleks
    • Pyramids of Mars
    • Masque of Mandragora
    • Talons of Weng Chiang
    • City of Death

I don’t have any 5th, 6th of 7th Doctor favourites mostly because in those years I wasn’t really watching Dr Who  so we jump to AG Who with;

9th Doctor

• The Unquiet Dead
    • The Empty Child/Doctor Dances

10th Doctor

• The Christmas Invasion
    • Girl in the Fireplace
    • Gridlock
    • Human Nature/Family of Blood
    • Blink
    • Fires of Pompei
    • Planet of the Ood
    • Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
    • Turn Left

11th Doctor

• Eleventh Hour
    • Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
    • Vincent
    • The Lodger
    • A Good Man Goes to WAr
    • Closing Time
    • Widow and the Wardrobe
    • Asylum of the Daleks
    • The Snowmen
    • The Bells of ST Johns
    • Cold War
    • Name of the Doctor
    • Day of the Doctor and NIght of the Doctor.

12th Doctor

• Deep Breath
    • Robot of Sherwood
    • Listen
    • Time Heist
    • Mummy on the Orient Express
    • Dark Water/Death in Heaven
    • Last Christmas
    • Magicians Apprentice/Witch’s Familiar
    • Under the Lake
    • Face the Raven
    • Heaven Sent/Hell Bent.

Phew. That has to be my longest post ever and I am certain that I have missed a few especially of the older stories.

Thanks to the inspired person who started this. Listing favourites is always fun.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb Yes I believe i am responsible for all this list making madness though I agree there is nothing I love more than making lists of favourite episodes. Thanks for bringing up gridlock as i forgot how good an episode it is and I’m afraid to say that I haven’t seen the Romans yet but I’m planing on getting it soon. I do advise getting some 5th,6th and 7th doctor episodes though because some of them are really good (Earthshock, Remembrance of the Daleks and The Caves of Androzani Spring to mind) In fact the 7th doctor is one of my favourites. Enjoyed your list and again agreed to most of it!

ichabod @ichabod

@missy   Thanks for the info on the boxed set, I’ll check over at Amazon.  And yes, Moffat does a Q and A (and’or sometimes an interview) for Doctor Who Magazine.  There’s a guy at reddit who reproduces them there, a month or more later.

janetteB @janetteb

@thedentistofdavros I am sorry for not crediting you. It was late when I posted last night and I was being lazy not checking back through the posts.

I have now caught up with some of the Davidson stories and while he is certainly growing on me as the Doctor and the stories are enjoyable they are brought down in my estimation by the appalling companions. It says something that the only companion between Romana and Ace that I found tolerable was the robot/android. I have yet to see Caves of Androzani.

The Romans is a lot of fun. The story is almost slapstick, bordering on being “Carry On Doctor in Rome”, but what really makes it enjoyable is the interaction between the characters. It feels as though the actors have built up a good relationship behind the camera which gives depth and warmth to their interactions in front of the camera and, unlike many fans, I have a fondness for the old historical episodes. My choice of Romans is no doubt though influenced by the fact that long ago we found a VHS of it so watched it far more often than any of the other stories which we then had no access to.

Cheers

Janette

Kharis @kharis

@janetteb Great list.  🙂   Glad I am not the only one with Robots of Sherwood on my list.  I have also not seen Romans,  mostly because it’s hard to find classic Who on-line.

@dentistofdavros Good idea with the lists, gives all something to do while we wait a whole year for new episodes.  Great list, and I’m glad you listed the 5th Doctor’s episodes, such a wonderful Doctor.  I’m also very partial to the 4th Doctor, if I had a favorite it would come from either the 4th, 11th and 12th Doctor.  I can see why you are partial to the 2nd Doctor, he is very endearing.  I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of someone who actually liked the 8th Doctor’s movie, it really was awful, so no need to apologize here.  Though, still think Paul Mcgann was underutilized.  He is an amazing Doctor, which the mini episode and the audios prove.  I have always blamed extremely bad writing, directing, music and producing on why the Doctor Who movie was a mess.  @winston Winston is right, I think if you see the 8th Doctor in something other than that mess of a movie you will like him.

Kharis @kharis

I forgot “the” above so my tag didn’t work. @thedentistofdavros

Anonymous @

to all UK’ers and those on this great forum who are happy and content and knowledgeable.

I was reading a review on one of your shows, George Gently, and boy did I discover what I call an enormous backlash against anyone (writers/reviewers/actors) expressing opinions about which these people (let’s call them rightists) call “liberals because they’re actually communists.”

This is worth than Australia. How on earth do people like @pedant @jimthefish @mudlark @craig @bluesqueakpip and others cope?

Good grief. The attitude expressed was that anyone who has a child out of wedlock and doesn’t give “it” up for adoption will lead a life of wanton enjoyment soaking up the “welfare” system or “dole” which is “morally dubious” and definitely an “expression of all the things the leftists, liberals and therefore Communists” live for.

My, my. I had to hold my breath so I wouldn’t explode.

The most hilarious thing about that on-line article was that the fella started out by writing that “leftists sneer at all things government” -actually, usually us “leftists” like government because government is US.

Yes, sorry about the capitals. I shouldn’t be On the Sofa with that one: best in the pub for a round of late drinks!

Puropeeved

Missy @missy

@puroandson

Just a bunch of ‘pudding brains’ and ‘idiots.

Cheers, (with rolling eyes)

Missy

@puroandson

The knuckleheads pack very well and give the impression of being more numerous than they are – and also, as we of all know, the decent folks tend to wander off.

My epiphany, many moons ago now, was that I am under no obligation to be nice to these arseholes.

Mudlark @mudlark

@puroandson

Where was this review?  I ask because the terminology  ‘liberals and therefore Communists’  sounds more like the US than the UK, where ‘liberal’ has a rather different meaning.  On the other hand, it is the Right Wing in the US who ‘sneer at all things government’.  As @pendant says,  the people who spout this kind of thing are rather more noisy than they are numerous, in the UK at least, though I fear the numbers are growing, thanks to a barrage of misinformation and propaganda from our current government and the RW press.  Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that there is a large section of the population who simply do not ‘think’.

If I thought such views represented the majority I would become profoundly depressed, so I try to maintain the hope that the climate of opinion will shift again, and before it is too late.  In the meantime, I do what little I can to kick against the pricks  – and you can take ‘pricks’ any way you wish 😈

Anonymous @

@mudlark Don’t know Miss!

No, seriously, I can’t remember but I did look up George Gently’s Lost Child and the 3rd or 4th entry was from some “mail” review (not necessarily The Daily Mail) and then I read it and wept. I could understand the problems this reviewer (loose term) had with that particular episode but the rant…yes, it was noisy.

Hey, welcome back!

PuroSolo

Anonymous @

Happy Lunar New Year everyone 🙂 And welcome @thedentistofdavros, @whovianliv, and @moondragon007! Hope you all have been enjoying the community here.

So I had purposefully held off on watching season 9 so I could enjoy it on Netflix without commercials. Since that is not happening in the near future (still moping terribly over this), I have started working my way through the season as small consolation to myself. I’m only two episodes in atm and for some reason Peter Capaldi has really started to grow on me. There is something about him that feels different, I’m not sure quite what it is yet but it’s a good different.

I did binge-watch Nine through Twelve’s Season 8 to catch up with the story and less for the aesthetics. So the renewed appreciation could be the result of having some time off to think (and talk with folks here) or the fact I know it’s going to be at least another year before we get new episodes so I savor every moment now. Likely a combination of both, but whatever it is I’ve really enjoying Season 9 so far and will be sad to see Peter Capaldi leave so soon.

I’ve also started watching The Sarah Jane Adventures this weekend, which has been quite entertaining. I’ve heard folks say it is “Doctor Who geared towards kids” though some of the episodes are pretty heavy, very good, but heavy.

Missy @missy

Although I’ve mentioned this before, I am still no wiser.

Whenever I revieve more than one notification, as soon as I click on one, the other/s disappear.

How can I avoid this?

To make sure I don’t miss anyone, I have to write down who they are, and where they are – damn nuisance.

Please help

Cheers,

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy

Whenever I revieve more than one notification, as soon as I click on one, the other/s disappear.

Does that mean when you ‘tag’ someone back it disappears or do you mean that when you get a notification in your email in-box that notification disappears once you ‘click on it’ and any other ones that are in the in-box also disappear?

I think you might mean the latter: ie: ‘I click on a notification from, say, @puroandson and then when I come back all the other notifications from other people and even just general notifications disappear. Such as…”a@______ responded to the thread from Doctor Who News (4)” vanishes.

Could you check your ‘junk email box’ -sometimes my notifications go to junk mail after I’ve clicked on one! I’ve managed to stop that from happening, now.

Another thing to do would be to go the Activity Drop Box on the site itself and check everything that way.

I wish I could help you more Missy -my tech skillz aren’t very good 🙂

Also when you tag ppl you can tag more than one person in any given post. So, in one post anyone can tag three or 15 people if necessary.

Anonymous @

@missy

it occurs to me you may mean the notification not in your personal email box but the notification on site where you see your “howdy, Missy” on the top right?

You can then scroll down to ‘notifications’ and that will take you in to the Missy notifications table.

And in that table in a column on the right there’s a ‘Read/Delete’ area. When you click on read, for example, the message which comes up is ‘message successfully read’ at which point, returning to that table, that notification you clicked on disappears.

But all the other notifications which are in that table will still be available to be read or deleted.

But still; you may be referring to something occurring on your own email system and not related to notifications on this web site.

Nonetheless,the conversation might best be continued on the web site -related thread?

I hope something helps!

Kindest, Puro and Son.

Missy @missy

@puroandson

Hello there,

Yes, I do mean the notifications on this site. As soon as I click on one, the rest is deleted?

The notifacations which come to my emails is fine. Very strange.

Thank you anyway.

Cheers,

Missy

Er, @craig or @jimthefish…. two posts up. Is it half term already?

Anonymous @

@pedant

ooh they’ve gone!

Thank goodness. Thank you mods and others….

PuroSolo

Anonymous @

ascd

SirClockFace @sirclockface

Completely off topic but, as Moffat’s been hinting at it, I believe Susan may make an appearance in series 10.

Allonsy @allonsy

Hello all. Sorry I have been MIA recently. I’ve been working way too much and had a few unfortunate instances of life fall at my doorstep. All is returning to normal though and I hope now I can return to being a regular part of the conversation once again. Hope everyone has been well in my absence. Anyway, Allons-y and Geronimo! (I have now made it to the Matt Smith series and am loving him as the Doctor)

Anonymous @

@allonsy

Glad to see you back! I hope all is well -ish? It doesn’t sound like it was? <worried face>

Still, it’s good to have safe haven here. Me, I’ve been binge watching The Walking Dead -and, I’m picking up an unfortunate ‘southern’ American accent -not that the accent itself is bad -but my version of it certainly is!

Whoo-it’s rather intense in its way.

Kindest,

Puro and Son.

Missy @missy

@allonsy

Hello, deleighted to meet you.

Cheers

Missy

Hello everyone I’ve returned from my dental surgery on Skaro, we’ve been quite busy recently anyway I’ve just been thinking about what it would be like to meet The Doctor, not the actual Doctor but any of the actors who have played him and then I thought maybe some of you might have stories about meeting the cast and crew. So have any of you ever met a Doctor or anyone Doctor Who related.

Anonymous @

@thedentistofdavros

And how did you find Davros?  Will he live to bite another day? 🙂

About 3-4 yrs ago, when Doctor Who came to Sydney for a concert we took a trip down from Brisbane. I met and spoke with Ben Foster and Murray Gold  -the latter not really involved in the concert -just on “a holiday abroad, but keeping it low” (to which I said “good luck with that, mate” -and cringed when I used the word “mate”). I also spoke with Alex Kingston and Son had a photo with her. I shook Rory’s dad’s hand as well and there’s a photo of him with Son too.

We had back stage-type passes -for which we payed quite a lot -but it was worth it. I spoke the next evening more with Ben Foster about conducting and orchestrating the score. I know a few members of the SSO? and so that was an ‘in’ and they were pretty thrilled. When I say ‘thrilled’ I mean they shrug and smile and say “it’s a gig and I get paid.” 🙂

Still,  we enjoyed it.

The husband in the 1960s, as a DS in the Met, escorted Troughton to a concert/comedy engagement and met Pertwee by accident in a bar. He recognised Pertwee from something else. I’m not even sure what! The police were often used to escort people from one location to another. I think there’s a story about having to get Tommy Cooper out of the car because of the ‘suspicion of alcohol’ and spending an evening in the Nick with him which turned out to be very funny – one joke after another.

Them were the days.

Kindest, Puro

Allonsy @allonsy

@puroandson

Everything is good now. I was hit from behind in my car coming home from work, which totaled it. Also, my wife’s grandmother passed away. It has been a rough month or so but life goes on and so must I.

My wife and myself absolutely love ‘The Walking Dead’ as well. In fact, we are watching the last episode before the winter break right now before the new one comes on. Being the comic book nerd I am I also read the comics.

As for the unfortunate Southern accent, I was born with one so I can sympathize. 😂

Allons-y!

Anonymous @

@allonsy

I’m so sorry to hear that -accidents are terrifying things. But you were and are safe -the car can be replaced although if it’s lovely sports car or a sentimental car then it isn’t easy either. I’m sorry to hear about your grandma (on your wife’s side) -I’m sure you were very close. I hope there is peace eventually.

I am watching tWD and wondering how Shane reanimated. I’m reading a whole lot of barely literate ‘critique’ on the ‘innernet’ and figuring I should just ask the question of people here as forum members are literate and clever! Also, goodness, one needs a strong stomach for this programme. I’m managing, but ‘phew,’ dinner ‘n’ all. Good thing I eat a lot of jello/jelly rather than… erm….actual meat. 🙂

Allonsy @allonsy

@puroandson

If you are only to where Shane reanimated then my best advice is to not dig too much into what the Internet says. The show will explain how and why people reanimate. As River would say ‘Spoilers!’ I would rather not ruin that piece of the story for you.

Allons-y

Anonymous @

@allonsy

thank you! You are no doubt absolutely right. Digging about for spoilers is as nutty as clinging to a burning farm house with wet walkers in your well.

That, I will add, sounds like the beginning of a song. A country and western choon 🙂

@puroandson

He recognised Pertwee from something else.

Probably Catweazle. (sp?)

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Oh, The Walking Dead – I love it.  When I started watching it I didn’t have high expectations – zombies aren’t per se all that interesting, after all.  But of course it’s not really about the walkers, its about the survivors, about community, loyalty, what one might have to do to survive and the point at which that becomes too much, loss and love and everything that makes us human.  At its best it is about the most intense hour of telly imaginable.  There isn’t the scope for the kind of theorising we do here about Who, and it’s a world away from the other undead show that I love, Les Revenants, which explores the boundaries between life and death in a much more nuanced, philosophical (and very French) way.  But it’s blisteringly good drama, and I am so invested in those people that the mid-season break feels like cruel and unusual punishment indeed…  The waiting is over now though.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@pedant

Catweazle was the wonderful Geoffrey Bayldon. Who was also in Worzel Gummidge, and who turned down both the First and Second Doctor roles (though he did play the First Doctor for Big Finish) – which probably explains why you’ve mixed him up with Jon Pertwee as Worzel.

But if @puroandson’s husband/father recognised Pertwee in the 1960’s, it would most likely be from either The Navy Lark publicity photos, or it would be from his stage/film work.

@bluesqueakpip

Duh! Yes, of course.

Kharis @kharis

After watching the mini episodes involving Amy and Rory, The Power of Three and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship again I have decided that Chibnall gets it.  He learned from 42 and is capable of better things.  I should have given him more credit.  His characterisation is great and his storylines are fun.  It may even mean a return of the Ponds and some time spent in the 40s.

Arbutus @arbutus

Well, I finally finished my rewatch of Series 3. Very interesting to see what I had remembered and what I had forgotten. My memory of it was clouded by a couple of things that I strongly disliked, namely the Doctor/Martha relationship and the finale. But leaving that aside, I now realize that I actually enjoyed almost the whole series very much indeed. I thought that The Lazarus Experiment was a bit of a weak point, and there were parts of The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords that I hugely disliked (although on rewatch I found that even that was about 60 percent quite enjoyable).

So to return to the listing of favourites that was going on awhile back, my top hits from Series 3 are The Shakespeare Code, Gridlock, and Blink. But I found almost every episode to be really quite good, when I ignored the frequent shoehorning-in of little “Martha’s unrequited love” or “the Doctor can’t forget Rose” moments. (It affirms for me the rightness of Moffat’s decision to make sure that the Doctor has to forget Clara, because it’s frankly a path that I would prefer never to walk again!)

And now on to the wonderful Donna Noble, my favourite of Ten’s companions!

Arbutus @arbutus

@allonsy    So sorry to hear about your mensis horribilis. Those do come along from time to time, don’t they? I hope things are looking up, that your family is rebounding. (And that expressions like “Eh bien” and “c’est la vie” are effective in a southern accent?  🙂 )

Anonymous @

@pedant @bluesqueakpip

it was stage work -there were some charity dos (having consulted with the Hub!). He didn’t actually recognise him -it was the other older copper in the car…then it was “you seen this guy before?” So they “had a chat”.

Pertwee didn’t say much. Nodded a lot and they (the coppers) walked away.

Yes, this is one entrancing story!

@cathannabel Oh yes, we agree on tWD -intense indeed. Goodness, but I want some people to just get eaten (this is  a naughty thing to add, but still)

Missy @missy

@arbutus

Join the club! I always found Martha very irritating. Wasn’t mad about Rory and Amy either, but they were better than Martha.

Loved Rose and Donna

Cheers,

Missy

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,017 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (7)’ is closed to new replies.