On the sofa

Home Forums General On the sofa

This topic contains 1,040 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  g33kboi 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 1,040 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@~Phaseshift

LOL at the Potterisation of Who

BUT – Doctor Who and the Philosophers Bath?

Sounds like someone’s hi-jacked @whohar‘s transdimensional watery thinking place (currently residing in On the Sofa)

ardaraith @ardaraith

They shall wilt and die on the sunny hillside of our remorseless enthusiasm!

@phaseshift and @Blenkensopthebrave – Here, here, gentlemen!

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@phaseshift

Hilarious!

Bobbyfat @bobbyfat

more episodes that need to be made…

dalliance of the daleks

a stitch in time

knowing me knowing who

fobwatch

Bobbyfat @bobbyfat

the only way is gallifrey

i’m a sontarian get me out of here

Anonymous @

@scaryb

@phaseshift

@blenkinsopthebrave

We shall repel them with wit, and mathematician humour.

Well said my brave friend. They shall wilt and die on the sunny hillside of our remorseless enthusiasm!

Haha, Love it.  I reckon the mathematician humour should do it really! (@Shazzbot).”

Aww, now, do I really haveto hold back the hordes of Genghis Khan [i.e. the lemon-puss G readers with an urge to shovel over everything they don’t understand] with shite jokes that only maths nerds and computer programmers laugh at?

I much prefer the ‘remorseless enthusiasm’ which everyone else here provides in spades.  Remember, I used to be a G sceptic and was tugged over to the dark side myself by said ‘remorseless enthusiasm’.  So I agree that should be the focus.

That having been said, here are some sparkling gems [ahem] which should blind the eyes of the sourpusses:

Maths and Alcohol don’t mix, so … PLEASE DON’T DRINK AND DERIVE.

… and my all-time favourite ‘blonde joke’:

Two blondes were outside.

One said, ‘I can see bear tracks.’

The other said, ‘No, those are deer tracks.’

They were still arguing two minutes later when they were hit by the train.

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@htpbdet – sir I take that challenge!

Personally I’ve always assumed the talons of Weng chiang was actually called Dr who and the highly magnified gerbils of death

Equally, castrovalva is best summarised as The Master baits a trap and comes to A Stick End? (Adrics BDSM is just the absolute cherry on the cake for that one)

Jon Pertwees finest hour was in Dr Who and the wobbly chromakey

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@adlerinthelibrary

I love @juniperfish bow tie conspiracy, it’s my personal obsessive compulsive favorite

My dear Sir/ Madam “obsessive compulsive”? Whatever do you mean?!?!

I am still contemplating @whohar‘s left wing / right wing dichotomy and eyeing the Doctor’s choices in the different bow-ties to see which ones are more morally compromised 🙂

Welcome! Lovely to hear there are people far and wide reading this little blog. I do like seeing everyone’s inventive avatars popping up in the window, whether they are vocal-fish, shy-fish or lurker-fish.

wolfweed @wolfweed

The Duct-tape, the Winnet & the Wall-daub

Pong Like

A stylus of the Mal-Decks

Tritovores on a Late-shift

A Tone Cold Marcy

The Par off Tee

The Age Nell takes Man’s Hat In

The Nosemen

The Balls I Sent Jen

The Rungs of A Cat Tan

Code Oo-Aar

Hide-E-Hi

Gerbil to the Scent Err of the Rat Sid

The Crimpin’ Hair-Err

Knight Mayor in Sylv-Err

The Numb of the Duct-tape

adlerinthelibrary @adlerinthelibrary

@juniperfish Madam, thank you very much sweetie, I mean that now I am obsessively compulsively watching every episode for colour patterns! Between that and fractals, it’s messing up my mind. And what happens when he is wearing dots? Aaaaw

@phaseshift Mexico is actually in North America, but indeed with more ties to the South… and I gladly take on the task of reporting to all my fellow Spanish speaking latinos! I’m up for a Who Worldwide conspiracy!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@adlerinthelibrary

The production team really went to town with Amy’s outfits which were almost always red/ blue or combinations thereof. Her nailpolish too! Now even I didn’t make an episode by episode nail polish colour list 🙂

Dammit they were probably colour-coded morse code and the key to everything… [@bobbingbird 🙂 – I know I am a wicked fish ] 

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@adlerinthelibrary

Apologies – My Bad! I really am rubbish at geography. I have no idea if I’m coming or going half the time.

@juniperfish

even I didn’t make an episode by episode nail polish colour list

Oh noes! 🙁 Time for a rewatch? 😀

@shazzbot

Aww, now, do I really haveto hold back the hordes of Genghis Khan [i.e. the lemon-puss G readers with an urge to shovel over everything they don’t understand] with shite jokes that only maths nerds and computer programmers laugh at?

As my old chemistry tutors used to say: “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the precipitate”

#chemistscanmakecrapjokestoo

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@phaseshift – yup. Does every school chemistry lab have some variation on “May her rest be long and placid”?

Bobbyfat @bobbyfat

more eps i’d like to see:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Spiders from Mars

The Winds of Uranus

The Deadly Squirrel

Planes, Trains and Tardises

A River Runs Through It

The Beast With Two Backs

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

“…she added water to the acid…”. Yep – I’m afraid it could be a law.

The other one in every school is a joke COSHH assessment on water – “100% of people who have died have injested water…., etc”.

I did an environmental survey of an old school once, and the office for the head of the Science department had a picture of the structure of C4H4AsH pinned to his door, which made me laugh (cut and paste into google if your chemistry is a bit rusty).

WhoHar @whohar

Pretty quiet on the night shift.

Nothing new to add to all the latest theories / hidden codes / anagrams so I might as well have a relaxing bath. D’oh! @scaryb where is it?

Oh well I guess I’ll have to get Edward out of his bag.

WhoHar @whohar
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I thought this was quite fun for the lead in to the next ep. Dan as Strax doing a Question and Answer session with some kids at the Doctor Who experience.

I’ll stick it on the Sofa for casual viewing.

@whohar

Many thanks for the link. 🙂

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – that was adorable!  There are so many times I wish I had come to Doctor Who as a child, and that clip was definitely one of them.  Just scary enough in his delivery to warrant a Sontaran upbringing, educational about Sontarans too, but overall well-tempered for the age group of the audience.  Dan Starkey is quite grand, isn’t he?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@Shazzbot

Yes, I think Starkey is brilliant and having a ball. There is another great link, which I won’t embed as you may have seen it before. Songtaran Carols. Moff has been keen to point out these were all down to Starkey gathering the cast together and writing it.

I wrote on our memories thread about meeting Tom Baker when I was young at the Blackpool Doctor Who exhibition. Just about the most perfect thing that could happen to an eight year old fan. It’s remarkable how something like that can stay with you.

Timeloop @timeloop

I just found the guardian bit(and the earlier referred to troll). Quite a party going on there with a lot of you commenting there as well. Is it kind of a rule that this is the place to be on the first episode after screening? I was wondering how considerably quiet it has been here. Quite a lot of hatred in the other one O-o.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@timeloop Hello there – there are no “rules”, as such, about our interaction with Dan’s blog on The Guardian. 

This wonderful space was set up by our marvellous webmaster @craig when Dan’s blog on the Snowman Christmas episode was about to close, because we wanted to carry on the conversation. So, we’ve only been going for four months. Many, if not most, of the people on here, found there way here via The Guardian and many of us use the same avatar/ moniker there as we do here.

I like to think of Dan’s blog and this space as inter-connected parts of the Whoniverse with a watery portal/ wormhole in between. 

Many of us comment in both spaces (but some folk stick to just here). I think I’ve said before that over there feels a bit like conversation in a pub and over here feels a bit like a conversation on the sofa at home with friends. You tend to go down the pub first, but always come home to the comfy sofa for more in-depth conversations eventually!  I enjoy them both, although the nesting format  there has hampered my ability to keep up with conversations.

Debate and disagreement do go on here, but thankfully, gratuitous snark without wit or point stays over there!

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift – Thanks for the Strax Q&A!

Anonymous @

@juniperfish – “over there feels a bit like conversation in a pub and over here feels a bit like a conversation on the sofa at home with friends. You tend to go down the pub first, but always come home to the comfy sofa for more in-depth conversations”

Lovely image!  So far it doesn’t look like the pointlessly angry people at the G have braved the wormhole / watery portal over here, and I hope it remains that way.  The positive enthusiasm of everyone here led to my assimilation to the dark side of bonkers theorising.

Dan’s latest blog which contains a link/reference to this site I thought came off a bit snide – he seemed to say that we don’t talk about what happens in each episode but instead chat about everything that didn’t.  ??? – all bonkers theories absolutely use everything in each episode, as a stepping-stone.

Anonymous @

@juniperfish and @shazzbot — absolutely. Although I’m finding I’m increasingly disengaging from the G, especially after last week’s little episode.

And at least over here we continue to discuss the episodes, rather than degenerating into snideness and using it as a stepping stone for a weird civil war between Old and Nu Who…

I’m all for difference of opinion and healthy debate but there’s an increasing tendency over there for it get very personal very quickly and with rather a lot of ‘playing the man instead of the ball’…

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@shazzbot I think Dan was just playfully teasing us – if he didn’t love us, he wouldn’t have linked us!  Love ya too Dan!

@jimthefish It’s still a fun space over there I think. I really enjoyed the Anthony and Cleopatra and Poe references picked up on over there this week. I loved our speculation at the tail end of last week on the way in which Time Lords measure time relative to Gallifrey etc. They go wide, we go deep!

You just have to ignore one or two complete nincompoops. Very happy we have our comfy sofa here as well tho’…

I like to think we have a symbiotic relationship with Dan’s blog – kinda like the relationship between Mrs. Gillyflower and Mr. Sweet? Haha 🙂 But which is which!?

ScaryB @scaryb

Nice article on BBC site today, not Who related, but does consider some themes in common inc ghosts, parallel universes etc (I’m biased – I loved lots of De La Mere, esp The Listeners; very much of his time, but he does spooky really well)

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish <little hug for bruised fish-soldier>

The key for Trollsheep et al is not to feed them – they love to get the last word (Incidentally it made me smile to see that @bluesqueakpip got the last comment on that particular conversaton 🙂 ) And don’t get personal back (I know, it’s hard)

@juniperfish – LOL @”The Gratuitous Snark” (a lost work by Lewis Carroll?); So long as they are not Boojums (tackle with care or you might disappear!)

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish And agree re Dan’s link. We might not be many in number but he knows his blog would be a thoroughly less pleasant place if we closed the watery portal and stayed on this side. I like his blog. (And am not averse to the odd tussle, LOL)

ScaryB @scaryb

Last thought for now – when the Dr meets Clara when she’s a 9-ish year old – in the prequel on the swings – he’s dressed the way he was in the first 2 series. Now I know he selects his new costume in BoSJ, but he’d already swapped the tweed jacket for a more Victorian look in Snowmen… (Blue bow tie btw); Am I right that when he drops in on her past in BoSJ he’s in the new costume?

Anonymous @

For everyone crying that there simply MUST be a Vastra-Jenny-Strax spin-off (and I count myself among your company – with the utterly sad passing of Elisabeth Sladen they at CBBC have surely heard our cries) – please let’s all have some sympathy for Neve Mcintosh.

How awful would it be to do the hours and hours of Silurian makeup (and the hours and hours of de-makeupising) every day, for months and months and months of filming.

If the BBC don’t create this spin-off then they are total morons, because it is the perfect tribute to Sarah Jane, complete with built-in humour to offset the scary bits and even non-traditional families (red meat for the ‘BBC is too left-wing!’ brigade).  But poor Neve, that makeup can’t be fun to do …

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

Hang on hang on, what’s with all the sympathy for neve’s makeup burden, but not Dan’s?

I’m sure they could get round the problem with liberal use of veil and helmet, respectively. Anyway, what to call it…?

Clone to roost
    No place like clone
    Potato in the middle
    Everything you ever wanted to know about strax* (but were afraid to ask)
    Like father, like Sontar
    Scales of Justice (geddit?)
    in cold blood
    Lady and the Vamp

Anonymous @

I don’t think the make-up problem was insurmountable. Besides was I the only one who thought that Neve’s make-up in this one looked less complex than previously? Maybe they’ve come up with one that is less of a bind(!) to wear…

Bobbyfat @bobbyfat

@scaryb i second that re the bbc article on de la mare, not a writer i know, but have kindled myself some short stories. most relevant part of the article for me re dr who was the idea of the joy of things left unspoken, mysteries unexplained.

i think there is something within the character of 11 that is reconciled to the unsatisfactory and imperfect resolutions of the mysteries he encounters, certainly more so than some of the commentators who stress unduly about how mrs gillyflower built a rocket. thats why i like this site, because people here probe the mysteries without starting from the point its all a terrible oversight by moff.

whats interesting to me about 11 is that he is not so much of the scientist / investigator as some of the previous docs, he is more like a maigret figure who puts or finds himself at the centre of the action and lets the resolution come to him, particularly in this series via clara.

Timeloop @timeloop

@juniperfish Thx for the explanation. I am really new to this whole Whoniverse

I am from Germany where Doctor Who is non-existant. I am in the UK for 8 (studies and so on) months and searched for things I might enjoy here in advance. I had my first contact with Doctor Who on YouTube in a Musical.

I followed up that interessting theme and learned a lot from bits and pieces on YouTube(I looked for pieces I found interessting in other videos). In the UK I actually bought S5P2&4(3Episodes per DVD is absolutely ridiculus btw)
    So I cant say if old who is boring or getting worse and worse (as some say on the guardian) – it was good enough to attract me. Maybe it did change with time changing. But that is way better than not moving onwards (I GUESS [dont be offended, please] that’s why old Who stopped)

I looked for a board like this for quite a while and I really like it’s nice comfy atmosphere  you and others mentioned Juniperfish =)

@jimthefish “I’m all for difference of opinion and healthy debate but there’s an increasing tendency over there for it get very personal very quickly and with rather a lot of ‘playing the man instead of the ball’…” that is why I like it here 😉 More to the point with facts and actually considering other opinions. Though the first evening after the new release was all over the place…

Anonymous @

@timeloop – that was a cracking video!  I’m ever-amazed at the way Doctor Who fans pay homage to their favourite show.

Whether you know the Classic Doctor Who series which started in 1963 or not, the current programme is still quite fun.  I don’t know the Classic series myself, but you’ve found yourself the right website, because here you can learn so much about the history of the show from people who have been there since the beginning.

But more importantly, you will learn that what makes this show so much fun is that it appears to be made (at least in part) for the kind of fans who flock to this site – that is to say, people who delight in discussing the plots, arguing about the meaning of ambiguous details, and devising theories about what all those ambiguous details could possibly mean.

WhoHar @whohar

@htpbdet

Re: comics and their rekationship to the TV show. My initial research indicates that the comics work independently of TV but they have to send their scripts in for approval to the current prod team. Not sure who is responsible for that now but script editors have done that job in the past.

Terence Dicks had lots of problems with over violent comic adaptations apparently.

Anonymous @

@HaveYouFedTheFish“Hang on hang on, what’s with all the sympathy for neve’s makeup burden, but not Dan’s?”

Sorry! Of course, Dan Starkey also has a major burden in terms of makeup. But I hope both Dan and Neve can withstand the ordeal because Vastra – Jenny – Strax is the perfect spin-off.

But … should they be restricted to Victorian London?  Or, should Madame Vastra be fitted with Cap’n Jack’s wrist-watchy-timey-wimey device?  Makeup is one thing, but set dressing is another, and a current locale not only made SJA easier to film, but it also made the series more accessible and relatable to modern teens.

Whisht @whisht

I must say, I love Starkey as Strax (more than just the character of Strax if that makes sense).
    And the 3 of them would make a great short series (not sure it has legs for lots of adventures but maybe).

But, I don’t remember which interview it was, but when the interviewer asked Moffatt about Starkey, there was a… well, it felt as though Moffatt didn’t like the fact that Starkey had taken the role out of the hands of the writer. He ad libs, he’s naturally comedic…. but maybe just my imagination.
    Just felt that Moffatt would only allow backing a spin off under duress…. (public campaign anyone?)

Whisht @whisht

btw – I think I know who Clara is…..

Well, lets take two of Clara’s attributes (no sniggering at the back there)
    She looks after children. Even as a meta reference to ‘being’ the show, she looks after the kids.
    She dies more than once.

So who else in the show looks after the kids, and has died more than once…?

Well, Strax of course – he’s gene-spliced himself to produce magnificent quantities of lactic fluid to look after babies and kids, and ‘died’ in AGMGTW.

Clara is Strax!!

my god its so obvious it’s almost a spoiler!

(though of course, this could apply to Rory too…. could Clara be Rory?)

;¬)

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@whisht – I think Moffat’s reluctance over the spin off is simply the Doctor Who/Sherlock/OMG, another show to run? thing.

Crimson Horror may well have been Mark Gatiss’s pitch to be showrunner of The Paternoster Gang.

I know everyone’s thinking ‘SJA replacement’, but I reckon Gatiss is pitching for another ‘family drama’ slot – they’ve finished with Merlin, Who is thirteen episodes – so there’s a place for a Saturday night historical type drama. And they can always nick the sets from Ripper Street. 🙂

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@whisht.

Clara is Strax!!

That is brilliant!…Of course, I have just finished off a good bottle of red.  So that might have something to do with my response…

WhoHar @whohar

@blenkinsopthebrave.

I have just finished off a good bottle of red

You start early? Or is it that you just don’t stop 🙂

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@whohar. It is almost 9pm in my part of the colonies. You are just being…well…provocative, aren’t you!

WhoHar @whohar

I have to say I’m a bit concerned now. We are only two eps away from the end of season / set up for the 50th and there seems to be lots still to resolve. The arc (such as it is) seems to have stalled in the last two stories.

My hope that the loose ends from seasons 5 & 6 would be neatly tied up looks a little forlorn at this stage. I am lowering my expectations now and just hoping the end of this season is more satisfying than the WoRS.

On the plus side, Moffat is keeping us all guessing still.

WhoHar @whohar

@blenkinsopthebrave

You are just being…well…provocative, aren’t you!

A little, I guess. It’s almost 9pm here too but I’ve not imbibed, so it’s merely jealousy my friend. Enjoy.

I have to say, I’m a bit surprised by the pricing structure out here. You pay more for some of the local wine here than you do back in the UK.

Anonymous @

@whohar“My hope that the loose ends from seasons 5 & 6 would be neatly tied up looks a little forlorn at this stage”

Has it been officially announced that the arc would end with the last of these series’ episodes, though?  I don’t really read much about the show other than this site, so I don’t know.  I guess I just assumed that the anniversary show would be a continuation / completion of this series.

All I have heard is that the anniversary show would be released as a movie, which implies it is at least 90 minutes, or two episodes’ worth.  So we might have the equivalent of 4 episodes to do all the loose-end tying-up.

ardaraith @ardaraith

@Shazzbot – SM is quoted as saying:

He also confirmed that various loose ends “will be tied up”.
    He added: “There is often this element of throwing in some lovely names then figuring it out later, but I have always had a plan for the Doctor and Trenzalore. So things I’ve left hanging in plain sight, and sometimes perhaps not quite in plain sight, will be resolved…”

WhoHar @whohar

@whisht

Clara is Strax!!

So let me get this straight – you’re saying Strax is the Doctor’s sister?

Whisht @whisht

Oh @whohar, do keep up.

Strax is the Doctor’s daughter

Tsk, it’s like people don’t even follow this thread…

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 1,040 total)

The topic ‘On the sofa’ is closed to new replies.