On the sofa

Home Forums General On the sofa

This topic contains 1,040 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  g33kboi 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 1,040 total)
  • Author
    thommck @thommck

Eep! Only 56 hours until questions are answered (and more are asked no doubt!)

Managed to resist spoilers so far so very pleased.

Thought I would just stick this picture here after finding it again and to side-track me from doing other things. A £10 prop that features the 10th Doctor from the British museum 🙂
    Doctor Who £10 note

ScaryB @scaryb

@thommck 10 satsumas huh? does @satsumajoe know about this??

Meme for the Day – Suggestion from @bluesqueakpip which grew out of discussion about how the Dr remembers his past selves. Imagine if they all live in his head and can comment whenever they feel like it! Crowded isn’t the word 🙂 What would these “backseat Doctors” say –

Suggestions for ‘backseat Doctoring’

From Bluesqueakpip

“I wouldn’t have done it that way – I’d have offered him a jelly baby.”

“Do you really need that sonic screwdriver so much?”

“For heavens sake, Doctor, reverse the polarity!”

“I’m going to cry…”

From ScaryB
    “Come along m’boy, come along!”
    “Oh my giddy aunt, whatever do you think you’re doing?!”

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

@scaryb @thommck Oh blimey. I did not. I’d have that!

Zaphod @zaphod

An animation (with whales!) that I thought might be interesting to a few people on this sofa while they nervously await Saturday.

Absolutely no spoilers of any kind…

Zaphod @zaphod
    Anonymous @

@craig, @htpbdet (and @jimthefish and @phaseshift)  – I’m going all prescriptive on you, but I think there is a basic flaw in the blog ‘What are your 50 favourite Doctor Who Episodes’ ( http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/sidrat/what-are-your-50-favourite-doctor-who-stories-ever/ ).

It’s not simply about making a list imo – the joy (in I hope the blog writer as well as) in the reader, will be discovering exactly what about each episode made it a favourite with the writer, and why the criteria applied by that writer made one episode rate more highly than another.  This is where the ’50’ is wrong in the first instance – the standard is a Top Ten list but I completely empathise with people who cannot restrict their favourites to such a low number.

At any rate, what I’m saying is firstly, applying an arbitrary number is wrong; and, secondly, that simply listing episodes by name doesn’t do justice to what the blogs here are already becoming famous for:  a detailed, thoughtful, and thorough analysis.

So, back to my prescriptiveness:  I think the blog should be about one’s favourite DW episodes, and by what criteria one is judging them.  Do you find the scariest episodes most re-watchable?  (What defines ‘scary’ for you?)  Is an episode your favourite because it slots into the canon so perfectly; or because it shows a baddie in the best possible opposition to the Doctor; or because it gives a companion their best story; or it has the most heart-rending moment / regeneration; or because you originally watched it at a key moment in your own life?  etc etc etc

It’s those personal details which make the blogs so eminently readable, so instructive, and frankly so entertaining to read.  A straight list of A) this  B) that  C) that other one,  isn’t interesting at all, I don’t think.  But discovering why the writer thought A) B) and C) , and the context into which they put all of them, is the inherent value of the blog.

ScaryB @scaryb

Still managing to resist typing “Dr who series 7 spoilers” into google! *proud*

Did come across this in the Graun, as they try to eek out the non-story that was the Whovian/Trekkie non-fight in Norwich. Not so much the article which takes a (light hearted but predictable) look at various sci fi “tribes” – but the comments are great, and completely disprove the article that they have no sense of humout and that there is any rivalry between them!

The only grumpy voice is from a Who (Troughton) fan (or could be a Trekkie in disguise, LOL) – “Remember the days when the doctor did more than run around and shout a lot, waving that ****ing screwdriver like a light sabre?” 🙄

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/tvandradioblog/2013/may/16/sci-fi-tribes-trekkies-browncoats

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb @bluesqueakpip

Backseat Doctor. I couldn’t help but think of him selecting his threads in Bells after deciding “Monks are uncool”.

“What do you mean I need a scarf…. it’s lovely outside!”
    “…..Yes it’s nice but a cricket jumper? Seriously?”
    “Yep, bow ties are still really cool!”
    “Don’t even go there six – You looked like coco the clown”
    “No I don’t need a question mark shaped brolly – it’s not forcast to rain for three weeks. It’s a drought!”
    “Oh go on then – purple it is, but I draw the line at a frilly shirt”.
    “Nine – just mentally head-but six will you. Patchwork is a no-no”
    “And you can shove your trainers up your….”

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

That’s brilliant. Cartoon Amy actually gets away with the Sixth Doctors coat! I can’t believe it.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

As we head towards the final episode, I place my unofficial “marketing whore” badge on and think about what I’ll post on Dan’s blog after I give my thoughts on the episode. So if anyone has any ideas, I would be pleased to receive them.

I thought:

[insert review]

As for Vastra, Jenny and Strax, the spinoff really should be on the cards. I’ve read the comments of people who think otherwise, and this is my considered response.

You can entertain yourself in the time between now and the Fiftieth at The Doctor Who Forum. It contains more delights than Webley’s World of Wonders, with tasty morsels such as ……

So, if you have suggestions for posts or topics that have grabbed YOUR attention, nominate them and I’ll post with links.

wolfweed @wolfweed

masters babies

If you like toys, I got this from here…

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-3-75-inch-action-figures-series-7/

Funny – the new 3.75” figures on said page remind me of the old Dapol ones, as they’ve lost the detail of the 5” figures (Which this Master & Baby are)…..

janetteB @janetteb

Love the master and baby. Awww.

I haven’t been on the Sofa for a while. Not enough time to keep up with all the threads so figured I could catch up later when there are no fresh episodes to speculate on because as I said on Dan Martin’s blog my only gripe with Doctor Who is the amount of time I waste speculating on what is going to happen and enjoying the theorising of others.

Back seat Doctors.

“Pass the Jelly babies.”

“Where are the Jammy Dodgers?”

“Not fish fingers and custard again!”

Cheers

Janette

Juniperfish @juniperfish

<splashes excitedly into @whohar and @scaryb ‘s bath> <waves fins at everyone>

Spoilers successfully avoided so far.

See you tonight for the finale (which will leave us hanging for the 50th of course). I must bedeck myself in both red and blue.

Can’t wait to see my lovely River Song bird.

<hoovers up crumbs from behind the cushions and dives into another dimesion for a few hours> 🙂

WhoHar @whohar

@everybody

Prob won’t be on now until after the finale airs here (about 13 hours after most of you lucky people).

Hope you all stay spoiler free and enjoy.

@phaseshift

For your marketing drive: The DW forum has wit, warmth and wonder. And a caption competition – perfect for whiling away the hours until the 50th

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

Re your SMW-ing (I like it v much btw – gold star 🙂 )

I’d recommend keeping it short, first part is great. Then how about –

You can entertain yourself in the time between now and the Fiftieth at The Doctor Who Forum. It contains more delights than Webley’s World of Wonders, and theories more bonkers than a bathful of fishes*

*copyright @miapatrick

ScaryB @scaryb

Not a spoiler surely (not at this stage, from this source), but…

But…

@wolfweed – why’s the master got a cherub???

Anonymous @

OK, @juniperfish – more red/blue morsels for you … (but you probably already knew these!)

On the BBC site they have pages showing the characters from the different series.  On the Series 7 Part 1 page  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00wqr12/profiles/series-7-characters  everyone has a red/orange background – except Grayle (the Weeping Angel owner in TATM) who has blue.

For Series 7 Part 2  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rryyj/profiles/series-7-part-2-characters  all the backgrounds are reddish.

For Series 6, however,   http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0103y2x/profiles/series-6-characters  the only red-background characters are the Doctor, the Tardis, Amy, Rory, and River.  Everyone else is blue.  Series 5  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rs69w/profiles/series-5-characters  — ditto.

(strokes chin thoughtfully)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whohar @scaryb

Many thanks. I’ll bodge something up. Loving the new Avatar ScaryB.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Ooh, nice new avatar @scaryb.

Great minds, etc.  I’ve just uploaded my traditional end of series attempt.  Only had time for one this year, but it seemed the most obvious.

Anonymous @

@scaryb – I’ve shamelessly stolen the fez from your excellent new avatar to use in my own.  My girl looks very fetching in it, so thanks!

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot – thanks for all the links – will be interesting to see if they pan out to anything – keeping off even that site for the moment though. Did spot a pic of the Whispermen though, which suggested very strongly what their origin is (intriguing rather than spoilery)

@phaseshift Also like  @whohar‘s suggestion re whiling away the time till 50th with the Caption competition, but maybe leave that till later in the week, people will be focused on the immediate aftermath for next few days. And could maybe ask @wolfweed to post some more, maybe around Thurs (assuming they don’t close the G-Blog early again <sighs, remembering the days when it used to stay open for a full week> )

@chickenelly – wooo-hoo! Look at YOU 😀 Extremely nifty, love it. And thanks to you and Phaseshift for compliments on my new avatar – girl has to make an effort, LOL – bit of plaster of paris works wonders (and photoshop airbrushing is very “in” these days, or so I’m told).

ScaryB @scaryb

Ok… Got my Thinking Fez on, double bow tie theory <waves @juniperfish> in place. Optimistic single Tardis in there too. (Hands in place to peek thro fingers in case it’s as scary as last week’s 🙂 )

Hoping this evening brings fruition to all our favourite theories… or an even better resolution that we never even considered. Surely we’ve got to have at least spotted the clue, even if we didn’t know what to do with it, haha.Thanks again to everyone on here for a really fun series 7. This board has turned into everything we could possibly have imagined if we’d wished really REALLY hard ;-)   And is proving to be considerably bigger on the inside than you’d think.

Thinking about @htpbdet – everything crossed for you and look forward to seeing you back here later in the week

@Antipodean members – Feeling it for all of you. I may be in same boat – may have to timeshift tonight, but we can do this!! Not spoilered till now, just a few more hours :-)

Last thought for now – there were photos being taken in Crimson Horror… by whom?  The photos the Dr took (on his travels from the start of the earth), then developed, in Hide proved crucial to him working out about the time traveller

Last thought for now – there were photos being taken in Crimson Horror… by whom?  The photos the Dr took (on his travels from the start of the earth), then developed, in Hide proved crucial to him working out about the time traveller

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot Oi!!!!

(S’OK, I stole it too 😳  (much in the manner of the Dr giving his memories in RoA, we can both wear it at the same time 🙂 )

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I love “The Crimson @chickenelly” as well (and @shazzbot‘s fez addition).

If I’d had some time with Photoshop this week I was going to add a bow tie to mine. Alas though I couldn’t decide – red or blue. 😉

Off for a while. See you all later!

Timeloop @timeloop

LOVE the avatars!!!!!!! Great people in here =D

Timeloop @timeloop

@phaseshift I found @whohar “The DW forum has wit, warmth and wonder” hits the nail on the head. Over all the community makes it worthwhile. Well-manered discussions and respecting different opinions in the live and let live spirit are outstanding (if you consider the graun). Basically everybody has a good time with a topic young and old can relate to.

You should also ask @jimthefish  I am always reminded of the Doctor when I read his posts as he states often-used phrases of the Doctor (well calculated I presume).

Timeloop @timeloop

@phaseshift P.S.: Thanks for all the effort

Pufferfish @pufferfish

Not long now…

Just to add that although I lurk more than I post, I’m pleased to do so in such a convivial and smart environment.

Whisht @whisht

ok – I had avatar envy after seeing the updates (great work y’all) so (though I now realise at the size it appears next to posts its farrrrr too small to notice) I’ve doctored my avatar*.

(yes yes pun was unavoidable!).

and @pufferfish – I love your avatar too!
    feel free to post whenever the fancy takes you!

(*may have to try again!)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@new avatars- brilliant work. (Just be glad I’m to technically inept (and fond of my fingers) to subject you to the endless series of various dogs in Stetsons, fezzes and bow ties my heart yearns for.

One hour twenty to go and still unspoiled- thanks in no small part to this community.

And sympathies to anyone who was ambushed with spoilers. Here’s hoping that the spoilers were in fact inaccurate, and you’ll be more surprised than you’re expecting. (there must be a chance…)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@scaryb Master & Cherub toys are sold separately but don’t they make a nice pairing? Perhaps they met down at the Garden Centre?

As we hurtle towards the finale, my heart rate is soaring…

dislikesswimmingalone @dislikesswimmingalone

About an hour to go and the excitement levels are building!! So much so that I’ve had to change the water in my fish bowl twice already! Looking forward to logging in later and reading all of your views and ideas.

Lula @lula

So jealous of those who get to watch a full 5 hours earlier than us here on the East Coast of the U.S.  Can’t wait to check The Name of the Doctor thread later on this evening–long after most of you will have called it a night–looking forward to everyone’s reactions/thoughts/general lamenting of the interminable wait we have till November.

Happy watching, y’all! Or is that wishful thinking?  Does Moffat ever leave us truly happy?  🙂

ardaraith @ardaraith

@lula – You can use expat shield to watch on iPlayer ??

Lula @lula

@ardaraith I have a Mac–expat shield works only on PCs here. It’s virtually impossible to find an expat shield substitute for Mac–without paying a fee, that is.  I have just over 5 hours…which seems like forever, but it’s no big deal. BBC America is re-airing 7b today, so that’s keeping me busy in between actually accomplishing stuff around the house, lest I allow Saturday to completely get away from me!

Timeloop @timeloop

@lula I know that hotspotshield works. But it is sometimes a gamble where you end up..

I am looking very much forward to your thoughts on the episode =))

Timeloop @timeloop

Just warning you guys: I just stumbled across an article of the sun. Major spoilers for the 50th there. Thankfully I did not read nothing too important before I realised.

Do

not

even

look.

Spoiler-ish

I saw an outfit of the hurt Doctor in picture though

ScaryB @scaryb

<waves chirpily @everyone then flops on the sofa>

Just back from the G-blog – that’s it, I’m done with it for now. Why do people get so angry on there? I’ve had times in my life when I didn’t even think about Dr Who (I know, I know!), times when I didn’t like the current Dr or companion (don’t ANYONE mention M** (sorry @htpbdet  😉 )) so I didn’t watch. Dipped in and out till one came along that I liked again. But I don’t remember ever getting angry about it not conforming to my own expectations.

Noticed at least half a dozen of my posts have gone from last night – collateral damage.  Shame, I was kinda proud of a couple of them. But the downright rude insults to @bluesqueakpip have gone.

@miapatrick Big glasses – I know, tell me about it, LOL

One thing that did occur to me while over there (in the dark place!) – I bet Shakespeare got his fair share of schtick for mucking up established canon – he was never one to let that sort of thing get in the way of a good story. Wonder if incensed Scots leaving the opening production of Macbeth threatened to burn down the Globe, and bring in one of those nice young playwrights Mr Bacon or Mr Marlowe instead  😉

DanMartinUK @danmartinuk

HELLO

Anonymous @

Hello @danmartinuk!  We have some delightful threads and wonderful blogs for you to peruse here.  And, you’ll see that we certainly don’t all agree like some sort of hive mind; but we certainly have humour, wit, knowledge, and most of all – civility.  (and a caption competition!)

Anonymous @

Hi @danmartinuk — welcome to the place of mucho bonkersness….

@scaryb — don’t let it get to you. It’s really only a couple of trolls who are trying to stir it up and ruin it for everyone else. And when all’s said and done, the G was where it all started for us and essentially brought this motley crew together…

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish Thanks for your support. Not a prob – I was having fun :-)

I stick to my point about Shakespeare tho :-)

And yes… <jumps up and down in excitement> Hi to @danmartinuk  You finally made it – it’s  harder to get in here than to get thro a watery portal guarded by Ming the Merciless… oh, wait a minute…!  I trust you have been thoroughly frisked for spoilers?! ;-)

Anonymous @

Hey @danmartinuk – Also, re your latest Guardian review:  You said you didn’t get the ‘last scene’.  Was that the whole sequence starting when Clara lands on the floor, or just the John Hurt reveal?  And what did you think of the bits that you didn’t pre-view, when you watched them live?  (I assume you watched last night!)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@danmartinuk A warm welcome to the sofa as @scaryb @Shazzbot and @jimthefish have said 🙂

It’s lovely to have you here – so glad you made it through the watery portal, if that is indeed you and not @DanMartinTheValeyard version!

Have a jammy dodger and the tipple of your choice. Some of River’s virtual champagne or Vastra’s virtual tea perhaps.

I think the action is mostly in The Name of the Doctor thread at the moment, but I can also highly recommend the music thread and there are some enjoyable blog posts up too.

This place arose thanks to your blog, where many of us “met” and had fun in virtual fashion. Oh the lists of bow-tie colours I have made in your blog-space 🙂 . So thank you and welcome to “it’s a spin-off”!

Jump in and join the rest of us Who loving fish, fowl, squeaking things and folk from several continents, from Mexico and the US to Australia and mainland Europe.

@craig our lovely webmaster can help you out with any tech queries.

ScaryB @scaryb

Has anyone watched our thank you video present from the Who team yet btw? Smith and Tennant chatting about their experiences of being the Doctor. Would love to see the outtakes when they are being shall we say, less diplomatic (about the 11%). Fun  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0

DanMartinUK @danmartinuk

Aha well that is a nice tribute! Cool place you’ve got here.

@shazzbot the preview ended after the Doctor jumped into the grave thing,  so had a rare experience of being able to watch like a normal viewer… was half expecting bigger twist but for the best they didn’t give him a name right?

Yes it seems like a have a Valeyard doppelganger somewhere 😉

rtlloyd98 @rtlloyd98

Good day all,

My name is Rhys. I’m a strong Dr.Who fan. Here is a piece on my verdict on the last couple of series (please promote my blog also…

(after the cricket image)

http://aviewfromthirdman.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/doctor-who-why-matt-smith-era-hasnt.html

also on twitter ( @rtlloyd98 )

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@danmartinuk You need an avatar! Your green-haired imp from the other place or something else?

Yes I am pretty pleased all my fishy rooting for dark doppleganger Doctor has come through with a promise of the Valeyard and/ or dark Hurt Doctor 🙂

I like your idea of a Nov meet-up – I’d like to go to that convention – we’ll only be around for one 50th anniversary!

@rtlloyd98 Welcome – will check out your post. As for a  promo – well hang on ’til we’ve checked you out! 🙂 We don’t have a blog-roll on here at present.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 1,040 total)

The topic ‘On the sofa’ is closed to new replies.