S33 (7) 14 – The Name of the Doctor

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor S33 (7) 14 – The Name of the Doctor

This topic contains 1,041 replies, has 83 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 1,042 total)
  • Author
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

I’ve just got the ‘no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer’ part of the prophecy.

• The Great Intelligence: never alive in the first place.
    • Jenny: temporarily dead.
    • River Song: definitely dead.
    • The Doctor: standing in front of his own tomb – he’s a ‘ghost’.
    • Clara: being … whatever Clara is.

They might as well have said: “Can anyone here who isn’t dead please put their hand up?”

(I think only Madame Vastra makes it through the entire episode alive)

🙂

Tournikate @tournikate

@scaryb  – first off thanks for the hello and tips and advise 🙂  I finally feel like I landed in the deep end of the swiming pool and I am loving it!! lol

Also I have to say I am leaning toward and hoping that the Hurt Doctor fits in the 8/9 split….leaves it open to some great story telling without messing with my heart too much (HA! ya right….I know thats wishful thinking and I will probably be blubering away at the 50th as per normal)

The idea of the Hurt doctor as 12 makes me slightly naucious.  I am such a wimp when it comes to the changing of the guard, erm I mean Doctor.  When we lost 9 I cried and was determined not to love 10 the same way….well of course then I loved 10 but when he had to go, 11 would not do at all….and here we are again at the precipice and I am worried and may lose sleep…Novermber can’t come fast enough (which is saying something because I am Canadian which means I am wishing away my few months of nice weather!!! lol)

Oh and @bluesqueakpip your my hero for this paraphrase

They might as well have said: “Can anyone here who isn’t dead please put their hand up?”

HAHA!! awesome. love it.

Well off to bed here – have a good day over there and I’ll check in for more fantastic theories soon 🙂

thommck @thommck

@bluesqueakpip

I’ve just got the ‘no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer’ part of the prophecy.

Perhaps that is just another way to say the Doctor can’t avoid his true death.
    You also remind me the Doctor (as all timelords seem to) got cremated when he died. Doesn’t that mess up the whole tomb idea?
    • Does the master have a tomb somewhere?
    • Is there a TARDIS-shaped tomb at Lake Silencio?
    • If people thought the Doctor was dead, wouldn’t his enemies all try and get his TARDIS for their own use?
    • Who arranged the Trenzalore tomb, would it have to be a timelord?
    • The TARDIS died at Trenzalore too. Shouldn’t it’s H.A.D.S. have got it out of the way?

LOL more to add to my never-ending list of questions

btw @craig, are you able to insert polls into threads? It would be quite nice to have a vote on who we think the Hurt Doctor is (e.g. 8.5, 12, Valeyard etc )

ScaryB @scaryb

@tournikate – further to which old Whos to watch – have a look at @whohar‘s very recent post on Faces of the Doctor thread. He’s posted a link to suggestions by our Who lore expert @htpbdet‘s post on the very topic

@bluesqueakpip Love it!

@thommck Not sure if all Timelord bodies get cremated. Traditionally I think they got uploaded to the Matrix, but not sure about the bodies. I think the Dr having a tomb at Trenzalore may be an anomaly.  The Tardis may be tied to the Dr in some way eg she choses to stay to safeguard his remains ie his timestream, till it’s finally faded (the scar healed), gradually leaking all her dimensionality till…

We saw some dead Tardises in tDW but as they were outside the universe maybe they weren’t typical. Do they just gradually fade away, talking quietly to themselves about everythng at once, or expand to a certain point then implode in an almighty paradox, or…? Suggestions?

But Maybe the Doctor and his Tardis are unusual – as the Dr says, no-one has time-travelled as much as him, or the Tardis in that case too. So his “time-scar” trail will be much bigger and deeper than anyone else’s.

But yes, you would think someone would try to break in and plunder what they could. Not that there looks as if there’s much life about Trenzalore.  There again those doors were tight shut.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@bluesqueakpip and @thommck

The interesting thing is that the one who spoke the Doctor’s name was River and as she was dead she could have spoken falsely or failed to answer.

She therefore had fore-knowledge which meant she knew opening the tomb was the right thing to do. I like to think that she was the one who set up the Doctor’s tomb including her false grave as the secret entrance and that somehow in their timey relationship not only did he witness her death but she witnessed his.

We don’t of course know whether the prophecy Dorium referred to was about this point in time at Trenzalor or another point in time that we have not seen yet.

But if this was the point in time the Silence wanted to prevent, then I’m wondering whether they are some kind of parasitic manifestiation of the Hurt Doctor, who has been steadily leaking out into the universe throughout Eleven’s tenure (i.e. not nearly as well contained in that “bubble universe” as he should have been) and now that “our” Doctor has entered his own “tomb” he will be able to “cleanse the wound” thus excising The Silence from the universe…

River always knows.

I loved that line, all the affection and exasperation in his tone, the constant delight and irritation at being one step behind her in the times-stream, always, and him a Lord of Time 🙂

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

The desktop thing could be odd, I suppose, but she’s also time travelled. In the TARDIS. An injoke then 🙂 I think the Taj Mahal was the important thing, being a giant mausoleum to honour a wife’s memory. Again, mirroring and stating who built his tomb?

@Shazzbot That is the question! One theory could hinge on who created the Trenzalore prophecy. Was it an echo of Clara (did Prime ever hear it from the Doctor?) or the GI in a long game? A third party? You would think that the most likely possibility as she needed the question answered and he wanted it. The Silence took their name from that prophecy – did they think it referred to them or were they preventing ‘the question that must never be answered’ from a wider perspective? The bad guys never think they’re bad!

Oh yeah, been thinking on the mystery Doctor. If you think back to TBoSJ, Clara would have pressed 3 for the password but skipped that to 4. A hint of where he and Smith fall in the overall timeline? On top of that, the missing years of 16 and 23. 7 and 5. 12 and 3 (Smith and Hurt) overall and new series count? Could be nonsense of course!

MTGradwell @mtgradwell

@Shazzbot

Hurt … as in John Hurt?

Yes. I don’t have any special insight into the course of future episodes, I was just making the same pun that must have been made already by many others, and trying to be subtle about it by using a lower case H.

ardaraith @ardaraith

ClaraNanny makes Davros and Rasillon sit on the naughty step behind the timelock until they learn to get along

@osakahatter – hahaha!!!! Love it!!!! And your detailed explanation of alternate realities and the nature of time travel was much appreciated!

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish

I wondered that too re Dorium’s prophesy, if it was about the visit we’ve just seen or not. But he specifically refers to the Fall of the Eleventh, so I decided yes it was and @bluesqueakpip‘s getout clause comes in.

There again, as mentioned, the tomb looks very like Eleven’s…  Unless HDr becomes alt11…

And as far as the Silence are concerned Eleven fell at Silencio!

Aaaagh!

<head explodes>

River always knows – Actually it’s “River always knew” 😥 But, yup, agreed, I was thinking the same re who made the tunnel. Would be nice to think she was with him at his end.  Did you also notice – when he’s crying on the sofa, yes it’s about Trenzalore but it’s immediately after he’s been thinking about River. (Little echo of Hide (in the scene just after, under the console room) when he connects Clara to  the Tardis – “this won’t hurt a bit”

MTGradwell @mtgradwell

@Shazzbot

Also – it’s bothering me that just before stepping into the Doctor’s timestream in TNotD, Clara says ‘well whaddaya know, I’m Souffle Girl after all.’ She hasn’t been fragmented yet – how does she know she calls herself that in AotD?

Clara had just walked through parts of the ruined Tardis, where she was given memories of the other Clara, the one whose timeline ended in Journey to the Centre of the Tardis. So she knows about being the “impossible girl” who died at least twice before. There was no specific mention of souffle girl in that episode, but there’s no reason why the tardis couldn’t have telepathically given her memories of that as well.

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish HDr leaking into the universe 🙂 I did wonder upstream how he gets out of the timestream and into real life. does he escape as you suggest? Do they have to go and visit him in his timeline? If he regenerated into eg 10 that presumably makes it difficult to “defeat” him in conventional terms, so it has to be about bringing him into the fold again, about forgiveness.

Maybe, to continue @bluesqueakpip‘s meta refs theme (I think I’m getting obsessed with this, LOL), the dark Dr represents all the authorised and unauthorised spinoffs – TV movie(??), BAFs, fanfic etc etc)

ScaryB @scaryb

Maybe, to continue @bluesqueakpip‘s meta refs theme (I think I’m getting obsessed with this, LOL), the dark Dr represents all the authorised and unauthorised spinoffs – TV movie(??), BAFs, fanfic etc etc)

In fact, the more you think about it this way, the more it points to HDr being McGann gone bad or the one he regenerated into (who doesn’t count in the numbering system)

ScaryB @scaryb

@tournikate

I finally feel like I landed in the deep end of the swiming pool and I am loving it!! lol

Haha – just keep an eye out for the fish :mrgreen:

MTGradwell @mtgradwell

@brotherjohn

I think (correct me if I’m wrong) the doctor explicitly CALLS her “souffle girl” to her face. It may be when he confronts her on the cliff edge outside the TARDIS control room, in JttCotT, but she has “remembered” events from theat deleted day when she says it.

I stand corrected. I hadn’t read brotherjohn’s reply to @Shazzbot when I wrote mine just a short while ago, and I didn’t remember the Doctor referring to souffle girl in JttCotT.

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

@brotherjohn @mtgradwell She calls herself Souffle Girl near the start of this episode when attempting to make one the way her mum did and ‘this time I’ll get it right’.

MTGradwell @mtgradwell

@phileasf

It looks like Clara has the same mother in all her lives. If every Clara gets a whole past and future, just like any other real person… then how much of the human population of spacetime exists because she does? It would mean the same people recur throughout space and time, so Clara can always descend from them..

I don’t think every Clara has a full backstory. They are, after all, just echoes, and not the “real” Clara. they’re just real enoough to save the Doctor.  Some of them will flicker into existence for just jong enough to do the job, and then disappear again. For instance, I’m inclining to the opinion that the Clara in the Tardis repair yard was not a Gallifreyan Timelord version of Clara, it was just a projection by the Tardis.

ardaraith @ardaraith

I am NOT done catching up–boy, what a difference a day can make–but @juniperfish, your reminder of Prisoner Zero’s taunt, “the Doctor in the TARDIS”, made me wonder whether the Hurt Doctor takes over when our Doctor is not with a companion–when he travels alone.

Maybe, to continue @bluesqueakpip‘s meta refs theme (I think I’m getting obsessed with this, LOL), the dark Dr represents all the authorised and unauthorised spinoffs – TV movie(??), BAFs, fanfic etc etc)

@scaryb

I would take the moment when Clara splintered into a thousand lives as the authorised and unauthorised spinoffs 🙂 She’s basically the production team, making sure the Doctor survives all his adventures. And during the Interregnum, that ‘team’ was split up – but it kept on saving the Doctor.

Our dark Doctor is (I hope) the pre-production stage of Nu Who – the bit where RTD decides that he’s got to kill off the Time Lords before he can bring the Doctor back. That’s partly why I’m going for ‘a missing Doctor between Eight and Nine’ – the Hurt Doctor would then represent the missing backstory; the Time War and genocide that we’ve been told about but never saw.

Now, if we’re really going to go seriously meta-mad, the next point will be a new Doctor who has the ghost of the Classic Series hanging around, peering over their shoulder. Until the regenerated Nu-Who finally becomes the real, the current ‘Doctor Who’.

Lots of ‘ghosts’ in this part of the series. Maybe Matt Smith isn’t in the Christmas Special as Dark Doctor? Maybe he’s playing The Ghost of Doctors Past?

😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

Dammit! You’re so much better at this than I am (and I think you also mentioned it upstream a bit)

Still works tho, so I’m happy

🙂

Anonymous @

Ive heard people making excuses here but the rip off of the Gentlemen from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is unforgivable. Its one thing to pay homage to another series but to pretend its original is laughable.

BadWulf @badwulf

@mtgradwell

Aha! – It makes perfect sense that GallifreyClara is a projection of the TARDIS and not a Gallifreyan –  that had already been hinted at during Hide when Clara appears to appear to herself.

So, to reiterate our options regarding where in the Doc’s timeline the Hurt Doctor comes from:

1) Pre Hartnell

2) Between Troughton and Pertwee

3) Between McGann and Ecclestone

4) An offshoot of Tennant

5) Between Tennant and Smith

6) After Smith (but not as the Valeyard)

7) As the Valeyard (somewhere between 12th and *final* incarnation – doesn’t specify how many incarnations there are , though)

8) Something else…

My vote goes for (3), despite finding (2) to be an intriguing option.

KurtCobanana @kurtcobanana

Guys, does anyone have a link to download old episodes, in between ’69-’89, with the first 6 doctors?

Charlie Cook @charlie-cook

Phew, caught up!!

No one seems to have revisited the time in The Rings of Akhaten when the Doctor vanished (although I could have missed it, in which case I apologise)

Was this when the Doctor retrieved/replaced the leaf?

MTGradwell @mtgradwell

@Shazzbot

OK, so, the Silence were supposed to kill the Doctor so he could never get to Trenzalore … why? I like your theory that they were guarding the Hurt Doctor (/keeping him from getting ‘out’), but … why?

And seeing how Trenzalore is essentially the Doctor’s grave, he was a) always going to end up there (albeit being dead, he probably couldn’t do much), and b) the Doctor couldn’t cross his own timeline without massive consquences (most of which couldn’t be foreseen by the Silence), so why would they think he would do it prior to his own death?

The Silence knew about the damage that the GI would cause if he ever gained access to the Doctor’s tomb on trenzalore. they knew that “silence would fall” (and stars would go out). They didn’t know that Clara would intervene to redress the balance. Why? They were in possession of a prophecy, or book of prophecies, which detailed just how terrible the effects of the GI’s intervention would be. This prophecy/book of prophecies presumably originated somewhere in the dying universe created by the GI, the universe which we briefly glimped between the GI’s intervention and Clara’s.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

Looking at @badwulf ‘s list of HurtDoc possibilities above, I’m still inclined to (6) but thinking about what something elses could (8) be – I haven’t seen suggested yet, could he be all the doctors?  They’ve all had their dark streak, some more than others admittedly.

It occurred to me that everyone we see in the timeline seem almost ghostly echoes running past, except for Clara (who jumped in) and Eleven (if that who he really is etc etc – who jumped in, so again is a physical presence) and the HurtDoctor.  Does this mean that the HurtDoctor (which ever number he is) has also jumped into the timeline?  Or is this the only place he actually exists – a physical incarnation of the sliver of ice at the heart of the Doctor?  Or at the heart of all the Doctors, he’s always been there, influencing them to a greater or lesser degree?

thommck @thommck

@osakahatter That was my thinking, Hurt spoke to ClaraPrime & 11 meaning he either jumped into the timeline is a creation of the timeline itself.

If Hurt was a younger Doctor, maybe that’s why 11 new he could jump in, because he remembered how he escaped before.

Alterantively, if Hurt is an older Doctor, maybe he jumped into his timeline to cheat death at the Trenzalore battlefield and has been waiting ever since for someone to rescue him?!?

budinacup @budinacup

I have a theory that nobody seems to have considered yet.

What if Hurt doctor and Smith doctor are 2 separate Time Lords?!

What if Hurt doctor took the title “The Doctor” and did something so terrible that it was not befitting of the title, and so Hartnell doctor stole his identity, so that whatever he had done was “not in the name of the Doctor”. That is why he is running, that is his secret.

That would explain why his name is so secret, because he isn’t the Time Lord that took on the title, therefore he ISN’T The true Doctor!

feel free to discuss!

@budinacup – Hi and welcome

Yes, it has been suggested. The problem with the theory that Hartnell nicked the title of ‘The Doctor’ is that the Eleventh Doctor quite firmly says:

He’s me. There’s nobody here but me – that’s the point.

Admittedly he’s saying that to Clara at the time. 🙂 So your bonkers theory (all theories here are officially as bonkers as a bathful of fishes) needs to account for the Eleventh claiming Hurt Doctor as ‘me’.

budinacup @budinacup

“He is me. I didn’t say he was The Doctor”    for me, that is more mysterious a line.

Maybe when Hartnell stole the title of “The Doctor” Hurt Doctor had to take on Hartnells name.

soooooo,  “he is me” would imply he has his actual name. “i didn’t say he was The Doctor” implying Smith now carries the title.

from a writing point of view it gives S.Moffatt a whole new set of regeneration’s to play with for future series’.

He simply needs the last doctor to go to him, and ask him to follow in the example set by his predecessors and finally become The Doctor!

that there is my Bathful of fishes.

Anonymous @

@budinacup — I think the mere fact that Hurt is present in the Doctor’s timeline necessarily means that we are in fact dealing with the same Time Lord.

Although I suppose you could argue that since both Clara and the GI were able to walk right in to the timeline then there’s nothing to stop another individual from doing it also. Hurt could, I suppose, be another Time Lord ‘hiding out’ inside the Doctor’s timeline for whatever purpose.

But I think Smith’s ‘he’s me’ line pretty much puts the kibosh on any interpretations like that. I think it’s pretty unambiguous (based on current, although admittedly scant, evidence) that he is an incarnation of the individual known as the Doctor whom we have been following for 50 years…

budinacup @budinacup

JimTheFish

My only problem there is that we were promised a “game changer” and i don’t feel that “hey we missed a regeneration and kept it a secret” or “here’s the next Doctor”  really changes much. In fact the former will only serve to shorten the life of the show by moving the Doctor along 1 regen!

i do however think that if we were told “Hey, you know that guy you have been watching for 50yrs, well he is an impostor, here is the darker, war weary Doctor” that would change the game!   🙂

PhileasF @phileasf

@Shazzbot, you’re right (re River’s harshness). Harsh wasn’t the right word (a bit of a cheap shot really).

I was attempting to express the idea that River, despite being ‘only a copy’, still seemed fully real and fully human (or whatever). So there was an irony in her trying to warn Clara that her copies would only be echoes,when she (as a copy) knew a copy could feel just as human as an ‘original’. And the more I think about it, the more I think you’re right that this was an intentional irony (on the part of the writer), well-delivered by Alex Kingston.

I’m sure River didn’t expect Clara to heed what she said; she probably just felt better for going through the motions of trying to prevent a million Clara’s living and dying in the Doctor’s shadow (like River and her backup).

Anonymous @

@budinacup — true, but as I’ve said above, I’d argue that the real game-changer is that we’ve seen the entire 50-year canon of the show potentially rewritten and certainly thrown into some doubt.

I think the Hurt Doctor is secondary to that.

misspawsintime @misspawsintime

Hello all, New to this Forum from the G Blog…. I must say you have all given me some much enjoyment reading through all the posts upthread (only on page 4 or so)… and those theories get wider by the day.. My evenings are spent not watching telly but reading through posts..

I loved this esp a great deal but just want to say that that “leaf” is giving me some concern.. Does anyone remember in “A Good Man goes to War” that a leaf was the subject of much speculation as to having the name of River on it (when translated)… and did not that “cot” have script on it that could not be translated.. I have notviewed the esp for a while, but i wonder if has some relevance wo what we are viewing now. and thatthought of “Gamma Forest” where River spent her teenage years is also something that we can ponder.

I still think there is some “story” to tell with River if a script comes up that can deal with her now “echo” existance… Certaintly the idea of where actually (or when” River was told the Dr name is something to digest…

I really do not know how the writers are going to put more depth into Clara backstory, she want be a very interesting character if she never seems to “die” and pops up all the time to “save the Dr”… So maybe there is further development with regard to Clara… we have after all only seen the set up for the 5oth.

And although this may of been said upstream the Time War has been mentioned alot of the very, very bad thing that Hurt Dr did.. But i think that is far to obvious…We are missing something worse… did not our Dr blow up the Cyberman planet or something at the beginning of “A good man goes to war” and challenged the captain with that speech of ruthlesness.. He was  on the verge of dark there… maybe something to do with the literal meaning of “Doctor2 to do no harm?

Anyhow just a few wild thoughts, some of you seem to be masterful at the theories.. … I do hope that SM does read some of the forums posts on Who… When i look back on this esp i especially loved the tidying up of a three part series arc (but obviously not everything).. it must be such a greta job to b

e able to follow through on such ideas and it takes some to think them all up and keep us guessing.. but as in all things sometimes the simple ideas are the best..

Keep posting

Anonymous @

Thanks @ everyone who provided their theories on the Silence in answer to my question.  Even after putting pieces of each person’s ideas together, I still think we don’t know what that was all about in retrospect, now that we’ve seen Trenzalore.  Will the Silence just be dropped / considered done-n-over-with?

Like the duck pond with no ducks (as per @tp222 over on the sofa asked about).  Re the latter, I’m wondering if that wasn’t one of those dual-purposes lines, i.e., on one level it’s fairly logical to ask why a pond with no ducks is called a ‘duck pond’ – it could simply be this strange British turn of phrase that confuses the foreigner; on another level, it’s the kind of line that drives us bonkers theorists to distraction!

Much has been discussed about ‘mirroring’ and I’m throwing my idea into that bathtub, that is to say, that practically every line is a mirror of itself, satisfying the casual viewer and delighting the bonkers theorist.

Anonymous @

@Charlie Cook“No one seems to have revisited the time in The Rings of Akhaten when the Doctor vanished … Was this when the Doctor retrieved/replaced the leaf?”

If I were making a list of unaddressed things (unaddressed so far), I would include the Doctor’s absence in RoA myself, too.  But Clara offers up the leaf to Grandfather after that absence (albeit, a different leaf than we saw in her book in TBoSJ, so there’s another item for my putative list!).

And if you are right about his absence being explained by leaf-stealing, then that could be why there were two different leaves – meaning that Clara over-fed the Grandfather not on a leaf of her own infinite possibilities, but a leaf the Doctor procured elsewhere … hmmm …

budinacup @budinacup

@Charlie Cook and Shazzbot

what about the moment in TroA when the Doctor says ” ive been here before, years ago with my granddaughter” add to that the fact that they refer to there “god” as ‘Grandfather’ and do we have The Doctor as some early template for there god?

budinacup @budinacup

Shazzbot i don’t think that The silence are forgotten at all!!

in fact if you are to watch the 50th anniversary trailer on BBC it is very heavy in The Silence.

in fact i don’t think we have seen the moment that Dorium was referring to yet.

I am sure that the 50th will take place at the fields of Trenzelor at the fall of the 11th, and not as most are theorizing in the Time War.

Charlie Cook @charlie-cook

@budicaneup @shazzbot I wondered whether the tardis Clara tried to get into, and failed, was the original

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

@budinacup

in fact if you are to watch the 50th anniversary trailer on BBC it is very heavy in The Silence.

Spoiler? Oh well.

budinacup @budinacup

Charlie Cook @shazzbot and where did it go?

im not sure that holds much water.

budinacup @budinacup

Satsuma Joe.

my appologies….. there are no spoilers, just the Dorium speech again. its not a spoiler, its already cannon.

Anonymous @

@budinacup – there are a fair few of us on this site who don’t watch the trailers, or ‘next time’ bits.  It’s very difficult to define ‘spoiler’ in this context, since something which is tacked onto the end of an episode, and available as a clip on the BBC’s main Doctor site shouldn’t logically be counted as a spoiler.

But who said we here at the DWF are logical?  Perhaps; but surely more, we’re bonkers.  😀

So we try to keep pure speculation on the current episode and relate only to past episodes in the episode threads, and put anything relating to trailers and such in the Spoilers thread.

Anonymous @

@Charlie Cook  – “I wondered whether the tardis Clara tried to get into, and failed [in RoA], was the original”

Wow, now there’s a thought – you mean, from the time the Doctor was there before, with Susan?

budinacup @budinacup

Shazbott

my apologies to all.

I shall stick to speculation 🙂

Anonymous @

@budinacup – also, if you put the @ symbol in front of someone’s moniker, then your reply goes into their profile (making it easy when logging back in later to see in one place who has responded to you).  It will also generate an email to that person so you can see without logging in here whether you’ve had any replies.

Under ‘Blog Categories’ on the right-hand side of the page (below ‘Recent Forum Posts’), there is a blog called ‘Website Help’ which explains these things, and more, which will help familiarise yourself with how the site works.

Well, of course the main way this site works is to nurture bonkers theorising  … you’ll do fine here!  🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Just to echoes @jimthefish in his welcome to new members.

@budinacup – to be honest, having looked at the BBC YouTube sites and the show’s home pages, I don’t think there are any official trailers to be seen yet.

If you type “Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Trailer” into YouTube you’ll see loads, but they are all fan made (some of the best ones are connected in our fan creativity thread. Some have been taken down before as the BBC is sensitive about the use of its logo, more than the clips they use which are good for creating interest in the show.

We don’t generally count “next times”, “trailers” or “prequels” as spoilers, but usually post them in the news thread or discuss them obliquely.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous @

@budinacup“what about the moment in TroA when the Doctor says ” ive been here before, years ago with my granddaughter” add to that the fact that they refer to there “god” as ‘Grandfather’ and do we have The Doctor as some early template for there god?”

I can’t remember if anyone else has already posited that angle, so well done!

budinacup @budinacup

In The fires of Pompeii Donna and The Doctor are imortalised as gods.

In The Rings of Akhaten The god is called Grandfather (Just as the Doctor was when he went there with Susan).

In The Big Bang The Doctor restarted the Universe.

In Greek Mythology Chronos is the Personification of time.

Could the Doctor be a Gallifrayan Time Lord who has been given God like stature by various cultures and therefore his name could well be Chronos.

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

@budinacup If the Silence actually appear, spoiler. If just the speech, not a spoiler. Phew then! It’s trickier than usual as it’s the event it is! Spoiler avoidance will be up to eleven. Sorry. We’re very good at speculation. Or bad. Well, both really 😀 Spoilers are like Weeping Angels (good avatar there) in reverse I suppose; don’t look at any videos, awareness won’t move an inch and creep up on you. Terrible analogy?

what about the moment in TroA when the Doctor says ” ive been here before, years ago with my granddaughter” add to that the fact that they refer to there “god” as ‘Grandfather’ and do we have The Doctor as some early template for there god?

No-one has suggested that before! Bit like how the title of Doctor spread based on his adventures?

@Shazzbot

But who said we here at the DWF are logical? Perhaps; but surely more, we’re bonkers. 😀

Exactly!

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 1,042 total)

The topic ‘S33 (7) 14 – The Name of the Doctor’ is closed to new replies.