Spoilers

Home Forums General Spoilers

This topic contains 932 replies, has 79 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 933 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

If true, there are all sorts of possibilities.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/356783/Dr-Who-Mystery-favourite-in-Xmas-plot

but to me, one seems more obvious than the rest.

If this is true…

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

@blenkinsopthebrave not quite sure what the article was really adding to the body of tidbits that has been released other than some vague statement about the beeb being tight lipped about some returning legend whatever that means.

On another note did anyone catch the interview on bbc radio 4today (Saturday) with the actress who plays Tasha Lem, it was funny listening the interviewer trying to get spoilers out of him.

@devilishrobby

I think it is all part of the BBC marketing division’s brief, actually.

But assuming it is accurate, my guess would be River.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

I’m surprised you said River (would be nice though 🙂 ). I thought…

but to me, one seems more obvious than the rest.

… (with the emphasis on one) was a hint at who you thought it referred to.

Given Matt Smith had a cameo in AAiSaT, could David Bradley be returning the favour?

@fatmaninabox

I wouldn’t have thought it would be Bradley. Not sure it would have the same resonance as it did in AAiSaT.

I think the word “legend” is just journalist hyperbole, and would go by “fan favourite”. And it has to be a character that means something to Matt Smith’s Doctor alone. And who makes a “ghostly” appearance.

Ergo…River.

geoffers @geoffers

hmmm… definitely something to chew on, having river pop up for one last farewell. i would love it, as a big fan of hers right from her mysterious debut. i can’t help but wonder (as is my twisted wont), tho…

wouldn’t it be a gutpunch if a “pre-river song” river showed up (pre-mels, even), allied with the daleks/papal mainframe, to kill the doctor? i guess the events of ‘let’s kill hitler’ would preclude it… technically. but, in a show about alternate time-lines and re-written histories, i wouldn’t be surprised! (she needn’t “pull the trigger,” as such, but merely contribute something crucial to the plot against him.) check that, i would be pleasantly surprised, as an additional “ghostly” farewell from the post-‘silence in the library’ river would then be a bit more heartbreaking, knowing that an earlier version of herself is ultimately to blame for “her” doctor’s death. (and neither need know, necessarily, that he will regenerate, anymore than he himself will know.)

sorry for the rampant, most unlikely speculating! just a thought that entered the brain, and wouldn’t be denied. i just remember reading that moffat has said that this episode will turn some common, long-held (mis-)conceptions about the show on their heads (or words to that effect)… but surely he was referencing the regeneration limit? that’s the 24 bajillion dollar question, right… how that is resolved?

only 4 days!

cheers! 🙂

Tennantmarsters2013 @tennantmarsters2013

@geoffers

thats a good theory and a return of a pre river meols would be interesting also.

i don’t think it should be the ghost river as they have already done that.

they could be pointing towards capaldi as the doctor or Amy or Rory since the angels are involved  or even Clara (she would be considered a legend in my books since she has saved near enough all of the doctors)

but knowing moffat it at it will be river (but I want it to be someone different)

Anonymous @

“Times change and so must I but I will always remember when The Doctor was me.”

That quote (emphasis mine) suggests that the mystery character is a previous Doctor, not someone who knew him, so I thinks it’s highly unlikely to be River or Amy or Rory or any other former companion for that matter.

@blenkinsopthebrave – you’re right, David Bradley himself might not have the same impact as Matt’s cameo but, in character as The First, I think it might.

So if it’s not DB, which other Doctor would be classed as a ‘fan favourite’? Well, there’s Tom Baker but he had his, ahem, ‘moment’ in TDoTD (that’s not to say another appearance wouldn’t be welcome).

Colin Baker doesn’t strike me as a fan favourite but ‘Times change and so must I’  made me think of ‘Change my dear, and not a moment to soon’. Possibility of a return? Slim. Very, very slim.

Christopher Eccleston would certainly be classed as a fan favourite but, unless he’s has an extreme change of heart, the chances of it being him are even less than CB.

Peter Davison? Well it would be nice but as with TB, he had his return in ‘Timecrash’. Likewise, Paul McGann has also returned.

Which leaves us with Sylvester McCoy, however I believe he is (or was at the time TToTD was made) filming a big, blockbuster movie 🙂

Looking at that quote again, which incarnation would be the most proud to remember that he was The Doctor? The one that springs to mind would be The War Doctor ie John Hurt. A final farewell from the shortest lived (on screen) Doctor – the one who didn’t feel he had the right to call himself ‘Doctor’? Hmm, I quite like the thought of that.

What we must all bear in mind however, is that The Daily Star isn’t the most reliable newspaper. Still, only 3 days until we find out 😀

@fatmaninabox

Well, on the one hand, to me, at least, River just feels right as the mystery ghost.

But, as I have said before, I have an unbroken record of getting my predictions wrong!

If it was a previous Doctor, it would have to have real meaning (and, at the same time, the appearance should not upstage Matt Smith’s farewell, but complement it in some way. So…while David Bradley as the Hartnell Doctor is a nice idea, it is still another actor portraying an iconic figure. But…it might (with the aid of CGI) be William Hartnell himself who appears. That would be kind of cool.

Pufferfish @pufferfish

I’m thinking the line is delivered by Matt, no other doctor (he means ‘me’ as in ‘this self’) and the fan fave (I’m wary of Daily Star writers deploying the word ‘legend’ because in context that evokes some lad bigging up office-party drinking, which is par for the Star, I think) has got to be… Amy or little Amelia Pond.

Would be a great way to explain Capaldi’s accent in-story, right?

Anonymous @

@pufferfish @blenkinsopthebrave

Doh! I misread the article. It hadn’t registered that The Daily Star used Who as in ‘Doctor Who’. I thought they meant it as in ‘A mystery figure appears, who then says ‘Times change and so must I…’ .

<shakes fist at Daily Star – ‘Who’ isn’t The Doctor’s surname you plonkers 👿 >

geoffers @geoffers

@craig – not sure where to put this, perhaps you can move it somewhere more appropriate?

i get a bad feeling, from the tone at the end of this clip, that moffat is surely intending that the next doctor is a different body (not one continuous time lord, that is)… 🙁

wouldn’t be the end of the world, assuming he has written a very good story ‘splaining why, of course…

geoffers @geoffers

er, here’s the video…

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-8-2014-what-we-know-52507.htm

z

Filming starts on Monday – Will we see the new Dr’s new costume?

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

@wolfweed: Monday… Monday you say!? I do hope we find out what his outfit will be soon… I do hope its quirky.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@monochromedimension – I say Monday! I wonder – what might it bring?

z
    This?

z
    Some think this is the series 8 look…

z
    I’m plumping for possible plus-fours…

z

http://whovianleap.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/peter-capaldi-is-anonymous.html

Or perhaps he’ll just be naked save for wearing a mask of his own eyes?!?

@wolfweed – Definitely the kilt, that’s a must.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Series 8 starts filming in Splott…

It’s back to an old haunt for the Doctor Who team this morning, the Maltings. Last utilised for “A Good Man Goes to War”, it actually seems an apt place to be for “The Next Doctor” to be seen ..

z

https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWhoFilming

@wolfweed – Oh good, then hopefully we will find out what the Twelfth’s outfit will be… that’s the main issue right now for season 8… for me anyhow. Once I know, then I want to know what Classic Series elements will be returning… if any…

wolfweed @wolfweed

So it looks like today’s activity at The Maltings is to prepare the locations in readiness for filming tomorrow, with set dressing to transform it into a WWI station. The cast may have been working in the studios today in preparation for tomorrow too.

z

https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWhoFilming

wolfweed @wolfweed

Filming today…

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    They seem to be shooting the 1st episode then…

Also, Phil Ford is writing Episode 2…

@wolfweed – I wonder if that Circus poster has anything to do with the story? Also I bet they’re only  filming the first episode… first so the outfit isn’t revealed just yet! Okay maybe not… but I am still hoping his outfit will be good… the wait continues.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Jenny’s Sonic Glove…

z

https://twitter.com/ryanfarrr/status/420581836746928128/photo/1

@monochromedimension – Also, below Circus it says ‘Dastardly Donna’!

@wolfweed – Ah yes I noticed that too… just a coincidence I’m sure. Hahaha… hah… maybe. I think it also says ‘fireworks’ but I doubt that’s a plot point.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    ConfusedPolarity @confusedpolarity

I hope there’s some truth in the “spikier relationship” thing! Not only would it feel more plausible for me than any kind of carrying-on-regardless, it’d give Jenna something to really get her teeth into as well.  It took me a while to take to Clara (plot device on legs was my rather unkind early thought!) but in the last few episodes I’ve really started to like her.

It’d probably only be a short-term thing – it’d get annoying if they were sniping across the TARDIS console for a whole series – but in terms of character development, for Twelve and Clara, I can see it working really well

WhoGirl @whogirl

Glad to see the welcome return of those three, they always bring comic relief as well as getting stuck into a juicy mystery.

As for a ‘spikier’ Doctor, that’d be a new and interesting element to the series. And I’m also excited to see the new outfit!

Capaldi has been a fan of Doctor Who for a long time, I’m hoping there will be even more references and ideas from the Classic Series in his seasons. Also yes, again, want to know what his outfit will be!

FiveRoundsRapid @fiveroundsrapid

There’s a great piece by Michael East over at Doctor Who Worldwide that succinctly brings everything together that’s known so far re Series 8

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/2014/01/07/everything-we-know-about-series-8

Anonymous @

@fiveroundsrapid – I’ve moved your link to the Doctor Who Wordwide article to Spoilers. For future reference, anything that hasn’t been officially released/confirmed by the BBC should be considered a spoiler even if it is just rumour/speculation.

Speaking of which, I really, really hope the ‘rumour’ about the special episode is true (especially the possible first ‘on screen’ appearance of Lucie Miller 🙂 ).

@fatmaninabox

That’s cool! I knew I’d put something in the wrong place eventually!! 🙂

And I agree re Lucie Smith… Sheridan Smith is always worth watching and coupled with the success of TNotD this could be something truly great!

@fiveroundsrapid – Yes, I do hope the rumor about a special episode with the Eighth Doctor is true. Also… I hope that the first story of  season 8 does involve the Daleks AND ties in with the finding Gallifrey story arc.

Anonymous @

@fiveroundsrapid

I’ve only heard a handful of the 8th Doctor Big Finish stories but Lucie has become one of my favourite companions. Her final story was heart-breaking but what a way to go out!

Hmm, an office worker, a little bit on the ‘gobby’ side, not afraid to answer back when The Doctor’s being an idiot and always on hand to stop him going to far. I wonder if she was the template for Donna?

ConfusedPolarity @confusedpolarity

@fiveroundsrapid – Much as I love Paul McGann’s Doctor, the one and only good reason for watching the TV Movie in my book, I just can’t see the BBC putting money into a one-off 8th Doctor special at the same time as they’re bringing in a new Doctor. I’m not even sure I’d want them to!

At best, a couple of years down the line, they might bring him into a multi-Doctor story with PC; I just can’t see them undercutting their main show.

@confusedpolarity

I agree about the timing. It’s highly unlikely anything will have even been put into production for any further 8th Doctor TV adventures, so more than likely it’s just a memo sat on someone’s desk at the BBC. It’s important that they put their energies into making the new PC series get off the ground running.

However I can imagine this working as a complement to the new PC series. If the BBC commissions a one-shot and it performs well they could make ongoing annual specials with McGann and show them at Easter, bridging that long wait between the Christmas special and the start of each new PC series in the Autumn.

And given the global popularity of the show at the moment it could be another avenue of exposure for the show. A sort of ‘Doctor Who – The Missing Years’ type of thing! The whole venture would be run completely independently from the main show, maybe even with a different showrunner.

Of course, viewing the world through my rose-coloured specs means that anything like this is a probability 🙂

Anonymous @

This is what I think the answers to the mystery of The God Complex are. I don’t know if anyone else has posted their ideas about this in spoilers because I don’t want to see any other spoilers while I’m looking for them. If anyone else posts their ideas on this episode I would like to see them, so please @barnable me if you see this.

There are four rules that exist in the funhouse hotel.
    1. At least one room in the hotel will contain your biggest fear.
    2. Once the room is opened, you rely on your faith to cope with your fear
    3. There is a monster who switches your faith into a faith in himself.
    4. The monster feeds off your faith in him to live and it kills you

So three conditions must be met for the rules to apply
    1. You must have something (anything) you fear.
    2. You must have something (anything) you have faith in
    3. You must rely on your faith to cope with your fear

My answers are
    • There is one guest already at the hotel with no faith in anything,
    even though he is afraid of every room.
    • Rory sees an exit door. The Doctor tells Rory, “you are not religious
    and have no superstitions, and the monster doesn’t want you”.
    (In other words the Doctor says Rory has no faith. BUT rule number
    one is The Doctor lies). So the real reason is: Rory has no fear
    and no room (exit door).
    • Amy’s fear is the Weeping Angels and her faith is in the Doctor
    • The Doctor’s fear is losing Amy Pond’s faith in him (God Complex), so
    he see little Amelia Pond in his room. And his faith is…I really
    don’t know because that’s the trick he uses to defeat the monster. He
    doesn’t rely on his faith to cope with his fear instead he confronts
    his fear by destroying Amy’s faith in him.

As soon as Amy’s faith is destroyed the monster dies. That’s because no faith no food. And there is no one else left at the hotel meeting the conditions.

There was one door that Amy looked in that might have contained the crack in the wall, but that is still her fear (not the Doctor’s). She seemed confused by it, but that is probably because it was a room exactly like her bedroom and might have seen her younger self in it. The Doctor looks in another room too (he puts a do not disturb sign on it), he says “Who else could it have been”.

Anonymous @

@Raxacoricofallapatorius  hi there and welcome!  That’s a good analysis. I think the Doctor saw The Crack in his room in the God Complex and we saw this materialise during the Christmas Special? He said “it had to be you” or something of that nature. I recall people speculating that it would be a dying TARDIS; a cloister bell on its own; the astronaut/River etc….

Also on the point of Rory, I think the Doctor’s belief was correct. Rory didn’t carry superstitions or religious faith, as it were. Also, I wonder too, if we take the fatal flaw of “the Doctor lies” too often. Like Deus Ex Machina or ‘Show don’t Tell’, are we over-favouring this predilection.   🙂

Kindest, purofilion

Anonymous @

sorry that’s @Raxacoricofallapatorius  or @barnable  🙂

Anonymous @

I don’t believe it 🙂 I’m sure I had raxacoricofallapat…blablabla correct!   what’s the matter with me??  Coffeeeeeee……

sorry @barnable that msg waaay up above was meant for you.  Jeez!

Anonymous @

@purofilion – Sorry about the name, but I might keep it forever to get more post like yours ROTFLMAO.

You are probably right that the Doctor still had fears (nearly impossible to believe he didn’t), but the only way that can be true is if he has no faith. I was thinking he might have faith in himself at least (but probably not prior to DotD).  The exact words when he opens room Eleven are:

“Of course. Who else?”

If that “who” is not Amy, there are still loads of bonkers theorizing to be done about his rooms. The ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign he hangs on it, makes me think it is River.

But I still stand by my Rory analysis. Just not having faith (like the Doctor or the cowardly guest) would not give you an exit door, or they would have got one.  The only way to get the exit door (before the monster dies) is to have no fear.  It might be, Rory has no fear and no faith (no Doctor lies), but I think Rory has faith in Amy.

Your post still has me smiling, Thanks 🙂

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@barnable – the ‘spoilers’ forum isn’t for hiding answers; the spoilers forum is for sneaked set photos, twitter rumours about Alex Kingston having been spotted, plot leaks and so forth. Posting here means a number of forum members simply won’t see your post – they don’t come here.

Anonymous @

@barnable I think that when the Doctor first saw the crack he was interested in it. But later, he was asking “what are you, who are you?” This could explain the ‘what’ vs ‘who’ dilemma, no?  If Rory was partially an auton (had auton memories) and had watched over  Amy for 2000 years then this would qualify him for an exit door? I think we are in agreement on this  🙂  despite the common habit of raxacoracofallipatorians  who use stink eye poison, chuck hefty darts, dribble in people’s drinks and wear other…er…people. 🙂 Gosh, I loved that episode…..That fantastic actress with a voice like honey and maple. Gorgeous. Kindest, purofilion

Anonymous @

@purofilion

I think that when the Doctor first saw the crack he was interested in it. But later, he was asking “what are you, who are you?” This could explain the ‘what’ vs ‘who’ dilemma, no? 

Great point, I never thought of it that way.  The crack could definitely be in the room in that case.

Don’t forget about “Gas Exchange” 🙂

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

I’m posting this here rather than in the rose and crown as it contains content based on rumours and is stimulated in part in response to @fatmaninabox comment #24261. Now we all love Matt and david in our own ways,and wish them we’ll in their various nomination categories in the upcoming awards, but it got me thinking albeit at a tangent, about the rumour that the master might return. Now although I think John Sims is a great Master, I think it is time for a new master. As to me Sims will always be linked to the Tennantdoc and yes I know others have already been mentioned for the role but I think as he most certainly will have been taken out of the running for doctor for the foreseeable future Benedict Cumberbatch (yes I know I’ve properly spelt it wrong) I think would make an excellent master especially given his portrayal of Sherlock as a high functioning sociopath it gave him that evil alien genius quality that’s he role of the master requires.

I apologise in advance if the moderators consider this to have been put in the wrong place but I would rather err on the side of caution than make a faux pas

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 933 total)

The topic ‘Spoilers’ is closed to new replies.