The Day of The Doctor – The 50th Anniversary Special

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor The Day of The Doctor – The 50th Anniversary Special

This topic contains 963 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 951 through 964 (of 964 total)
  • Author

Oh, and in a fine ensemble performance I think Billie Piper deserves a shout-out. I thought she was outstanding.

ScaryB @scaryb

@Everyone

Just back – not much coherent thought left – but just loved it. Watched in cinema with everyone laughing and ooing at same bits. Fun, scary… and I can’t think of a more fitting 50th birthday tribute.  And, as promised, a loveletter to the show. So many little callouts… From the very first titles at the start to Tom Baker as the Caretaker.

@wolfweed – that’s such a lovely pic with John Hurt reconciled within the official line of Doctors.

But yes… 13 now, with Capaldi

thommck @thommck

That was a brilliant night of unabashed geekiness!

Me and 2 of my boys went out to the cinema all dressed up. The cinema was jam-packed. Not too many people dressed up but lots of scarves and fezes! I thought it would be full of kids and old crusties but  the majority of the audience seemed to be teenage girls!

The cinema atmosphere was electric. The manager came in to have a chat with us all and gave a signed picture of Matt Smith away to one lucky person (whoever sat in seat K9!). We were told we would get a few adverts, then they’d press play to coincide with the BBC 1 showing. It felt really special to be part of such a global event.

We got a few special scenes before hand. First, a public service announcement from Strax, warning what would happen if we didn’t turn off our phones, and the joy of eating popcorn (you can hear their screams!). Second we got Matt telling us to put on our glasses and how to detect Zygons in the audience, followed by a bit of banter between him and Tennant. That was a really nice treat for those that made it to the cinema.

Then the feature presentation! There was so much to say about it, I can’t really put the words together coherently. I tend to agree with the Den Of Geeks review (thanks for the link @pedant). I loved the way it managed to mix a regular style episode with the wider events of the time war. It was all about the Doctor really and it was a touch of genius to make the much hyped War Doctor into the same Doctor we all know and love.

We didn’t get any answers about how Clara escaped from the Doctor’s time-stream. It seemed all but brushed under the carpet, a distant and faint memory for Clara. Then I caught the trailer for the Xmas special (not shown at the cinema but watched on my phone in the McDonald’s afterwards!). So it looks like we are going to jump back in time to the real battle of Trenzalore and get a few answers leading to the fall of the 11th!

But is he the 11th? This episode seem to quite clearly state that Capaldi is the 13th Doctor .I’m happy for it to be that way but some of the Moffat interviews I’ve seen imply it’s all a bit fuzzy still? I presume the next series will be “The Search for Gallifrey” with Capaldi & Clara going off in search of the bubble universe where it has been hidden. Did we saw a new companion at the very beginning? Clara’s fellow teacher looked like he could become a companion, nicely paralleling the original series using two teachers.

It was a lovely seen at the end with all 13 Doctor’s. My youngest really didn’t understand how it was possible and he had a pure look of awe on his face! He also said it was lucky the actress playing Queen Elizabeth had a twin sister! Bless him, I didn’t spoil the illusion 🙂

I’ve rabbled on too much now and it’s getting late but I might as well watch the F(ive)ish Doctors while I finish off this glass of wine 😉

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig @juniperfish @bluesqueakpip – a joy and a delight to hang out with you at the Doclands party, complete with its own TARDIS console, twin Troughtons and zygons.

Thans everyone who came to the pub last night, another special night.

Special mention to @bluesqueakpip for calling it’d be about saving the children of Gallifrey; @craig (and others) for “redemption”. And of course Timeloop for insisting on “the moment” amidst much dissent. Hope you enjoyed your own moment in the cinema – well earned 🙂

And I seem to have aquired a massive, gorgeous Weeping Angel poster from somewhere – blame it on the timey wimey!

ScaryB @scaryb

@thommck

Love the pics of you and your 2 boys, Yeah the cinema people got the Strax warning for mobile pohones, filming and crunching screaming popcon… but not the trailer for the Xmas Special. We just wanted ot hit “replay” when it finished 😉

I don’t have  a problem with the Dr and Clara having just walked out of his timestram (NotD) – it was already disintegrating, “collapsong in on itself” – as soon as Clara found 11 (oops – 12!) she was safe – it’s his timestream, he knows the way out. It was when she was on her own she wasn’t safe. OTOH if we’re going where the TV trailer apparently says we’re going for Xmas. I could be (as usual) complegtely wrong!

But Clara does save the Doctor in a very real way – she’s the one who insists there is a better alternative to mass killing, even if it’s “justified” by saving the many. She doesn’t know what it is but she knows if she pushes the Dr he will find it. Message for our times?

wolfweed @wolfweed

thommck @thommck

@scaryb Thanks, I think this episode is fairly stand alone, it could have happened to any Doctor, in fact it happened to every Doctor! Still trying to get my head around that. Do they all remember or did they all forget apart from Matt Smith?

I’ve just finished watching the 5ish Doctors. Really funny and good natured. McCoy cracks me up 😀

CountScarlioni @countscarlioni

Terrific! A splendid tribute to all the creative people who have got us to this point as well as to gesture at new directions.

Is it certain that John Hurt’s Doctor has regenerated into Christopher Ecclestone’s Doctor?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@countscarlioni – the most recent BBC publicity photo places John Hurt’s Doctor between McGann and Eccleston.

The Twelve Doctors

@Bluepipsqueak  Thanks very much for this which looks conlusive. My query was prompted by the fact that we did not get to see clearly who the John Hurt Doctor was regenerating into. I’d have expected that it would not have been hard to have thrown in a second or two of the footage of the Ecclestone Doctor to Tennant Doctor regeneration.

I also wonder how we deal with the numbers of the Doctors now. If Matt Smith is really the 12th, what about the fall of the 11th?

Oops. Sorry for the confusion. I should have paid more attention to the Dan Martin BuzzFeed piece as he quotes Moffat on the numbers:

“Moffat cleared this one up in Doctor Who Magazine after the minisode had aired. “No, I’ve been really, really quite careful about the numbering of the Doctors,” he said. “He’s very specific, the John Hurt Doctor, that he doesn’t take the name of the Doctor. He doesn’t call himself that. He’s the same Time Lord, the same being as the Doctors either side of him, but he’s the one who says, ‘I’m not the Doctor’. So the Eleventh Doctor is still the Eleventh Doctor, the Tenth Doctor is still the Tenth…””

Tennantmarsters2013 @tennantmarsters2013

I absolutely loved it!

war doctor going on about timey wimey was funny and tom baker at the end…as a future incarnation which one I don’t know lol

Tennantmarsters2013 @tennantmarsters2013

Does anyone know where I can get hols of the strax cinema scene and the Matt and David one! Aswell as anchorman?

I want to show my partner

Craig @craig
    Emperor