The Fox Inn

Home Forums General The Fox Inn

This topic contains 1,046 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,047 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@pedant

Yes, youre right.

🙂

I have just watched Heaven Sent with mum. It was really awesome. It was also really hard to watch. I think that there is some thing to say on that thread. I’m going to find that thread now. I hope  you are a wake for a few moments longer.

Thankyou.

Anonymous @

@starla

I used a variety of objects -some of which were Egyptian for example -obv copies of inexpensive things I’d bought so the students had to decide which civilisation they came from. I also used Ancient “greek” objects -again, small vases etc.

I made the ‘strata’ using a variety of soils packing it in with clay and water to harden it up. We borrowed tools from a mate of mine at uni so students could use the proper diagnostic tools for the job. They built baulks and measured the area in the way described in a variety of textbooks (eerm *preening*) -but a number of activities about archaeology for younger people are available on line from Australian websites. Checking the local libraries and Amazon should give you some insight into what’s out there. Unfortunately the best books I found were for an older audience and could be found (at quite some cost ) at a store of marvellous books and periodicals called Folio Books in Sydney.

The other activity we did through out the whole year was using rocks and stones to create adzes and sharpening tools. When it was story time, students would chip away at their rocks to create a sharp tool or hammer. At the end of the year, having taken photos of the starting position, they could register major or minor changes. These were then labelled and shown to the next year’s group.

I also did some experiments with water using an old fish tank. We watched certain stones (particularly lime) change as they grew lichen. The softer woods rotted. We’d measure the evaporation of water as well.

Starla @starla

@puroandson – Thank you so much for your explanation of these activities! As you mentioned over in Spoilers, the new Aus curriculum unfortunately limits our time greatly, so I might have to do a less involved version – but I’ve got the holidays to collect some objects and sort out what we are going to do, and you’ve certainly got me thinking about how I will go about it.

I love the idea of burying items that resemble those from various periods in time. The sharpening tool concept is great too, although I’d be wary of some of the children I taught this year bearing sharp objects (mind you I let them use lino tools). Fish tank activity could be really interesting.

I saw another great idea online, which involves creating stratigraphy sandwiches, using layers of bread, spreads and fillings.  Gotta love a food lesson 😀

Lots of ideas – Thanks so much!  I appreciate it.

Anonymous @

@starla

Ah yes, our posts crossed in virtual reality. Thank you. I hope that helps: I hadn’t seen a stratigraphy sandwich before! Thank you – wonderful.

When in England, I was amazed at the lessons and fun activities set up in museums and castles for children! Here we have virtually none of that: awful/well not awful as there are many other things to do and we are still a young country with a different focus. Still….

Just Puro.

Heck, we have jet skis! 🙂

Mudlark @mudlark

@puroandson  Glad to be of service re the survival of organic materials 🙂

It occurs to me that I omitted at least two other sets of conditions in which organic materials could survive for long periods.  One is when the environment is extremely dry, as in the Egyptian desert. The Egyptians probably cottoned on to the idea of mummification after observing that bodies buried in the desert sands tended to become desiccated before they had fully decayed.  Such things as wood or papyrus would quickly be eroded if exposed on the surface, but protected from the elements, as in a sealed tomb or in a sealed pottery jar in a cave, could last a very long time.

Anything buried in permafrost conditions will also survive well- mammoths in the sub-arctic tundra are perhaps the most widely known examples, but there have been burials excavated in the High Altai, for example, in which the bodies were preserved almost intact, down to the tattoos on their skin , as well as their clothing and the personal possessions buried with them.

When I wrote of anaerobic conditions I didn’t explain why these were conducive to the preservation of organic materials. Maybe the reason is too obvious to require explanation, but in case you were at all puzzled, it’s because the lack of oxygen inhibits the kinds of bacteria which cause decay.

janetteB @janetteb

@Puroandson and @starla  I feel like I am jumping into a conversation mid way so apologies but I was at a History Week workshop this morning discussing how to make history interesting for children so found your ideas very interesting. Australian Museums have been slow to follow the wonderful child friendly design of U.K museums. (I don’t recall any in Europe but suspect they are equally as good) In fact the British Museum children’s area made me wish I was a kid. I think the overall tactic we all agreed on was “hands on” and involving. It was also pointed out that adults are not so different from children really only we pretend to be interested they don’t. There was a woman there who was doing history honours online.. Umm tempted, tempted. I should be doing my dip ed but I really want to do a history masters…

I think that Australian history has slipped off the radar in recent years. There was a lot of interest in the 70s and early 80s but somehow the curriculum has done the subject a massive disservice in recent years. We do have history, mostly brief as pre’ “occupation” nothing was recorded but though brief it is colourful. My sons despise Australian history, or at least did until I gave them a very brief overview of some of the more dramatic aspects, ie convicts, frontier war, (though recent PMs would have it that that did not happen) and gold, on a long drive to the airport. By the time we arrived they were asking “why aren’t we taught this in school?”

Cheers

Janette

Mersey @mersey

@mudlark

Your posts about how fast different materials decay are brilliant. I read your small lecture yesterday when I was going home.

Mudlark @mudlark

@mersey

Thank you.  I often feel hesitant about posts such as these, which have a tendency to stray way off topic, so it always good to know that there are people how have found them interesting.

Mersey @mersey

@puroandson

I’ve moved our conversation here because I feel it’s a bit off topic.

In case of Beethoven, I don’t want to offend anyone, but for me it’s shallow to think that if something is popular it means that it’s cliché and for the mass audience (poor Handel, poor Vivaldi, poor Mozart, every genius is poor because is clichéd!) My favourite Beethoven’s symphony is Eroica but I don’t think it’s his best. I like to listening to Eroica when I’m reading or doing something on my computer but I can’t do that with the 5th! It’s too powerful.

The Mennonites concerto is a hell of music. Very, very American. It’s a cacophony of styles and traditions. There are very lyrical and classical parts and those moments when I wasn’s sure if I wasn’t listening to the music from The Magnificent Seven. I didn’t expected something like that after this slow, sad and dark intro. Very rich music and very eclectic with many references. Some piano parts are classical and some more jazzy. I prefer those classical parts. They are very beautifully written. You have a very, very good ear if you found Mennonite Concerto in the Heaven sent score.

One of my favourite piano concerts is Edward Grieg’s A minor and piano works is Modest Mussorgsky’s Pictures at the Exhibition. But I think piano is a very ungrateful instrument. Easy to play, hard to compose something really, really good.

Your knowledge about the stars totally amazed Young Puro! He wishes they’d teach astronomy in science.

If that’s true I’m very flattered but I’m sure you will see in a short time Young Puro that my knowledge is pretty basic. People these days don’t look at the sky. They don’t care about the beauty of the stars. We have this constant Las Vegas in our cities. But when the sky is clear I like to watch how Orion shines above my house. I’m happy that you, too are a stargazer.

@mudlark

I do find your scientific posts very interesting and entertaining.

Anonymous @

@mersey glad you enjoyed the Mennonite Concerto -it’s an odd work, isn’t it? Most of my colleagues sneer at it and that makes me enjoy it all the more.

An ear? An near? Say what? what? 🙂 (sorry -silly jokes like that don’t really work on line)

Pictures at an Exhibition -marvellous. I was listening to something the other day and Pictures was in it -or select sections, as it were.

janetteB @janetteb

@mersey I also love Pictures at an Exhibition. I find most classical music difficult because I  associate it with childhood so it depresses me but that does not apply to most of the Russian composers. I had a soft spot for 1812 because I fell in love with War and Peace. Hard to be depressed by Vivaldi too not matter how often it was played on Mum’s tinny little radio. Another favourite piece is Respighi’s The Birds. I always include it in the Christmas mix because I keep hearing it just before our first son was born two weeks before Christmas.

@mudlark, I also really enjoy your posts. I would love to have studied Archaeology. I was muttering things under my breath yesterday when I discovered that my old Uni now run an Archaeology course.

One of the things that makes this forum so good is the Pub threads where we can talk about no Who related things. From my experience of other forums I have found that it is the off topic conversations that really knit the community.

cheers

Janette

Starla @starla

@puroandson Jetskis are cool!

Mersey @mersey

I liked seeing those political undertones. So maybe this is a opportunity to  reinforce that lesson.

@lisa

Personally I’m not sure about these political undertones. After “the Paris tantrum” the conclusion of the Zygon Inversion looks to me shallow, naive and silly.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@mersey

No, not shallow, or naive, or silly. Simply that where we are, in the Paris tantrums, is at the end of the Zygon Invasion – with the massacre of all those UNIT soldiers and the near-massacre of a very large number of Londoners.

And at the end of the Zygon Invasion, our Zygon terrorists see no need to talk. They think they’re going to win. Bonnie doesn’t negotiate, she blows up the Doctor’s plane – which was pretty damn close to reality even on broadcast.

What happens in the Zygon Inversion, condensed into a 42 minute episode, is what happens when our Zygon terrorists finally realise they might lose. Really lose, not glorious martyrdom lose. When they realise that ‘losing’ means the fight might potentially go on forever, and never, ever get anywhere.

That’s the point when the terrorists start to negotiate. After fourteen peace attempts, a lot of defiant speeches, and finally, sheer bloody exhaustion.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip I was waiting for that explanation 🙂

@mersey

After “the Paris tantrum” the conclusion of the Zygon Inversion looks to me shallow, naive and silly.

Well, no.

All conflict in the modern era ends at the negotiating table, even if only to agree the terms of surrender (and let’s be clear, Bonnie surrendered. The only thing she got was forgiveness.)

And like it or not, what is happening in the Middle East will be sorted out around the negotiating table. I do not expect to see it in my lifetime, since we live at a time when the Speaker allows the Prime Minister to call the Leader of The Opposition a terrorist sympathiser for having perfectly rational doubts about the value of bombing.

But it will be resolved around the table.

Mersey @mersey

@pedant @bluesqueakpip @lisa

I don’t think the whole episode is shallow, naive or silly. I’m fully aware that it brings up a very serious and urgent problem and I partly agree with its message. I still find the Doctor’s speech very moving and for me it sounded as he was not speaking about the Time War but the Second World War. That people from the western world know exactly how it is to fight for the right to live, for dignity and for freedom. But it’s naive to think or (show) that a beautiful and moving speech is the solution for all humanity problems. It’s not. CNN broadcasted an interview with the sister of one of the Paris attacker and she said that the family knew that her brother was becoming more and more radical. They asked for help but they didn’t get it. I know that it can be only an excuse but if it’s not that’s the real problem. And you will not solve it with an elevated speech. And now, imagine that one of the Paris attacker, the brain of the group escapes, changes his mind and says: From now on I’ll be a peaceful and loving person. And people say to him: We forgive you. Go and enjoy your life…

I think Zygons who live their lifes and do no harm to the others don’t need forgivness. They don’t need to be forgiven of who they are.

But I of course accept and respect that your opinion is different.

@pedant

Politics, what else?

Arbutus @arbutus

@lisa @mersey @bluesqueakpip @pedant

Personally, I view the Zygon two-parter as at least a bit allegorical. For one thing, the process was simplified as each side was represented by the will of a single individual. So the Doctor’s speech could move Kate to lay aside her weapon. In reality, reaching agreement is much more complex because multiple people on each side must be brought on board.

Obviously, in our world, we would not simply forgive the mastermind of the Paris attacks because he was sorry; but in our world, that mastermind is not likely to become “sorry”. In that conflict, as @pedant says, we have not yet come so far. But the beginnings of resolution were found in South Africa through forgiveness (truth and reconciliation), and in northern Ireland at the negotiating table, so I believe that the theme is legitimate. Where the Zygon story departs from reality, I think, is that it telescopes a process that in our world would have to see the passage of many more years of conflict, sadly, much more death and destruction, before the combatants reach the point that they did in the story. What’s truly sad is that so many people on both sides don’t seem able to learn from the past, and we have to relive this again and again.

@mersey

And now, imagine that one of the Paris attacker, the brain of the group escapes, changes his mind and says: From now on I’ll be a peaceful and loving person. And people say to him: We forgive you. Go and enjoy your life

But that is precisely what happened in South Africa, and in doing so probably averted a civil war that would almost certainly not have been contained to South Africa. Nobody would have thought that possible after Sharpville (or countless other atrocities).

It is, pretty much, what happened in Northern Ireland. Nobody would have thought that possible after Enniskillen (or countless other atrocities).

Daesh’s only genuine card is that its opponents are too busy fighting among themselves to deal with them (ask any ex-Khymer Rouge if they think Daesh are especially brutal, or ex-Mau Mau or anyone of any number of savage terrorist organisations down the years). Its leadership may be death cultists, but its soldiers are pretty much the disaffected youth of the Middle East. ’twas ever thus.

And the overwhelming majority of Germans soldiers got to go home and rebuild their country with a bucket load of cash from the Marshall Plan. That didn’t stop the war criminals being executed.

You are committing he cardinal sin of artistic analysis: applying a metaphor literally. But the whole point of a metaphor is that it gets to the essence of a matter, not the banality of it. It goes to what it will take to change, not to what is happening right now.

That is why it is neither shallow, nor naive, nor silly.

@arbutus

Whoa! Have we ever been seen together?

Arbutus @arbutus

@pedant   Well, I was trying to be discreet. I wore the sonic shades and no visible question marks.

Anonymous @

@arbutus @pedant @mersey

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. You’ve communicated that concept before, Arbutus, and I’ve liked it: the idea that combatants and those in the negotiating position take many years to get to the point at which Kate and Bonnie finally understand – with Twelve as mediator.

I appreciate the use of the word telescope: I believe that this is how Moffat establishes his view and communicates opinions: this occurred in Heaven Sent. That to me was telescoped also: the metaphor of longing, of repetitive expiation and journeys to solve the Doctor’s problem involved an enlarged confessional including nightmares, survivor guilt and redemption as well as buckets of fury and grief.

At first I thought Heaven Sent was the reverse of the Zygon Inversion – few moments may have passed from teleportation to arrival in Gallifrey. In the Zygon Inversion, but in a reality outside of that prism, we would experience a much longer drawn out set of negotiations continually leading back to the discussion table and starting over  -of course we know that’s what happened to Kate and Bonnie in any case. So, in the story we were told in ZI, it was compressed and at the same time, radiated out. In Heaven Sent it appeared like an eternal journey, radiating out and yet it was compressed.

The two stories seemed similar as far as measured time?

Or perhaps the exact opposite? 🙂

ZI: an hour has passed with Bonnie and Kate -but in reality and with the Doctor it may have been 14 hours.

HS: a few moments may have passed and yet to the Doctor it was longer (that’s up for the two schools of thought I suppose). To us, it seems like millions or more years. In story, that is how we experience time passing -through the story we were given and Peter Harness chose to tell. We see what the Doctor does not remember: the passing of exquisite agonising time.

I still hover around the conclusion that I gave on the HS thread: the Doctor may choose to remember some of what he experienced (one school of thought); this is his form of atonement for Clara’s death and “to be honest, Clara, this is what got you killed in the first place.”

Comprende? Yep, I’m probably not making much sense but desperately trying to. 🙂

Just Puro.

Arbutus @arbutus

@puroandson      Ah. What is similar? What is opposite? How far do you travel around the circle before you end up where you started? And what’s time to a Time Lord?    🙂   Insufficient wine with dinner, apparently.

I agree, as I think I have said on the other thread, that what the Doctor experience inside the confession dial was probably folded up into a fairly brief spot of “objective” time. I like that term of @ichabod‘s because it distinguishes between time of the physical and time of the mind, but allows that both are equally real. Even in the physical universe, the concept of time is much less straightforward than the bit of it that we use. I was watching a video on black holes with the other Arbutuses last week and the discussion of time and space was seriously mind-blowing.

Hm, I see we are becoming a philosopher’s pub. Tea is no longer enough. I shall have to call for a whisky.

Whoa, can people try to keep discussion of Heaven Sent in its appropriate forum?

@mersey (and also @pedant, @puroandson and @arbutus)

As pedant says, the Zygon Inversion is really a metaphor – and part of its metaphor is that the long, deadly war is described in a speech instead of being lived through.

For me, it resonated very strongly with Northern Ireland. Part of the peace is forgiving those who killed loved ones. More than forgiving them, working with them and sharing power with them.

And sharing an ice-cream with the person who shot down your plane. Osgood is obviously a very rare and very great person.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

In the Pub we’ve often talked about other episodes as well. Haven’t we? What else is the Pub for 🙂

Still, might have skipped my mind.

@puroandson

I thought the Sofa was general Who and the pub was politics that sometimes strayed into Who?

Or Who sometimes strays into politics. 🙂

TardisBlue @tardisblue

Changing topics rather abruptly,

My Pocket app feed today included a searing and fearless *beautifully* written personal essay about having Chron’s disease. Not the sort of thing you’d usually read or discuss in the conviviality of TGIF at the pub, but reading it has given me so much empathy for @Puroandson’s journey. Here’s the link, for those who are stout of heart and strong of stomach: http://the-toast.net/2015/01/30/having-crohns-disease/?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

bendubz11 @bendubz11

@bluesqueakpip I share my ice cream with no one, even my closest friends

Anonymous @

@tardisblue

welcome back! I always get excited when I see your avatar and name!

Puro

Hi this is the other part of Puro, the Son here -this gets confusing. Mum just finished a long email to a friend and is a bit tired so she is listening to me reading the posts. also she is leaving the house today to do some Christmas shopping at the local (huge) mall -so she’s napping in prep for the big ‘outing’. An outing like that is pretty rare as she spends most of her time in the Master bedroom. Mum and Dad bought the house 15 years ago nearly based on the size of the biggest bedroom which is bigger than most people’s lounge rooms. My room on the 2nd floor is really small by comparison? You see they’d been trying for years to have kids and due to the operations they figured it wasn’t going to happen. So they bought this “yuppie” small house on a small block with a courtyard garden and then less than a year later, Young Ilion (me!) was born. So I get the small not airconditioned bedroom. Still, I get a bathroom all to myself which mum says is ‘luxury’. Dad says “luxury: living in cardboard box is luxury” and then they both laugh. Apparently its an old English joke which I don’t get you see?

Adults -weird. 🙂

Mum says thanks for the mention and kind words and also the link which is good exposition (?) of what Crohns and colitis can be like. Different people have different reactions to the disease. Mum has said that certain members of the site have contacted her on the message function saying that they have a brother or  a niece with the illness and so they totally understand.

I think it was brave of mum to mention it because a lot of people still haven’t heard about the disease and even three years ago in Aus there was little funding for working out where this disease comes from -she didn’t want to believe she’d hijacked the site for her own benefit? She felt a bit embarrassed that she’d done that. What she was thinking was that everyone has terrible trials and difficulties and hardship but she didn;t want to draw attention to her own. But she felt she owed people an explanation considering her behaviour which is in large part due to her medication which can cause some muck ups in communication so she wanted to both apologise and then put the whole Crohns thing out there because educating people about Crohns is important to do just occasionally.

Sorry about the long post from me.

Thankyou Miss Tardisblue

@bluesqueakpip yes, mum was saying to me she was trying to be funny -but she understands totally and I will make sure she does her part not talking about the episodes in detail in your pub place Miss Blue! 🙂 Apologies to you and others.

Son of Puro

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@Puroandson

Back at you, @Puro!

I’ve been lurking on the episode threads, but haven’t had anything to add to the discussion there (and have been distracted by IRL). I logged on a while back to give @purofilion gentle hugs and TLC when she first posted about the effect medication was having on her, but that was about the time she *poofed* herself and she may have missed my post…

And Son of Ilion, no need to apologize for the length of your posts. I quite enjoy them. And I’m glad that you came along, after they’d given up hope. Sometimes it happens like that. You totally give up and then — boom! You get what you’ve given up on. Although, if your father lived in Los Angeles, like I do, he might have a different view of cardboard housing after seeing far too many homeless people eking out an existence in their cardboard condos. Housing prices here are through the roof, and there’s a lot of poverty and far too many working poor. Is Matt Smith your favorite Doctor? My niece was fond of David Tennant, and lost interest after he left the role. Although her mother cut the cable chord about the same time, so my niece didn’t have easy access to BBCAmerica, so there wasn’t much chance for Smith to grow on her.

Wishing you and your parents well —

TardisBlue

@PuroandSon

Puro: not to worry. I had a ‘reading things literally’ moment and missed the smiley.

Ilion:

So they bought this “yuppie” small house on a small block with a courtyard garden and then less than a year later, Young Ilion (me!) was born.

Good for you. 😉 May you always turn up when least expected and most wanted.

And, as @tardisblue says, there is no need to apologise for the length of your posts. I don’t know if you’ve seen the original of your Mum and Dad’s joke, but they’re referring to this:

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip Miss! thank you. I hadn’t  seen that-dad is always saying “luxury” in that accent.

Awesome stuff. I’m off to church now and I have the snaking suspicion mum is going to watch the last ever episode on her own so she can cry quietly (I don’t like it when adults cry) before another ‘normal’ watch tonight. But you may be on non-watch cycle? That’s OK.

@tardisblue “poofed”. ooh, we wouldn’t say that in Oz very often 🙂 Oh yes, mum says I’m flippant about poverty sometimes: cardboard boxes yes, we have a few people in Brisbane who live that way but not too many. But any is too many. Poverty is a the worst thing in the world.  Not that I’d know. We try to help people but from our own warm house with roof etc…

thankyou for reading.

Son of Puro

PS: she saw your post Miss Tardis Blue 🙂

TardisBlue @tardisblue

::::::::TREMENDOUSLY red face::::::: @Puroandson

Son of Puro, I am so embarrassed. I was not up on all the Australian slang. I NEVER would have used that word to describe Puro’s vanishing had I know or realized its slang context. My sincere apologies to anyone I might have inadvertently offended. Let me make amends by picking up the tab for the next round of drinks. Shandy for me, I think. What are you having?

And a big thank you to @Bluepipsqueak for putting the cardboard house remark in context. Spam, dead parrots, funny walks, lumberjacks — those Python skits I remember. I either missed or forgot the Four Yorkshiremen skit.

TardisBlue

Anonymous @

@tardisblue

No no don’t worry at all Miss Tardis (young Son calls everyone Miss -this is because as a teacher we’ve always encouraged him to use the formal second names such as Mr, Mrs, Miss and Ms rather than calling everyone Rosalyn, Juliet or Judith! -my actual near-neighbours).

You have not embarrassed yourself (that will forever be my tag -the member who turned troll for a minute and then outed herself as on strong medication and other things!).

Also I over-use brackets.

When Son of Puro says “oh don’t use that in Oz,” in fact I would say that it has come back recently in  the original meaning. For instance, some students earlier this year (and these were late teens early twenties and predominantly from the Indian subcontinent or China/Japan) would say “oh then this bar -in music- goes ‘poof’ yeah?” and I’d say “yeah, that’s one way to describe it, it goes really soft” (we’d used the term pianissimo in class) so you have nothing to be embarrassed about. Just like the word “gay” as been re-fashioned by some Ozzie 40 year old cover bands (as in the members are 40 years of age or closer to fifty) and are simply referring to the word as it was originally used

You have no need for a red face. I demand you remove it immediately!! 🙂 Unless you like rouge, in which case, go right ahead!

Love to you,

from Puro flying SoLo.

TardisBlue @tardisblue

* that was a thank you to @bluesqueakpip.

TardisBlue @tardisblue

And thanks for the understanding, @Puroandson. Whew! That’s quite a relief! I’m not a big fan of make-up, so I’m happy to forgo the rouge. What with already being blue as a Tardis and all, the tremendously red visage makes for an overly dramatic in-your-face sort of first impression. Not the sophisticated yet compassionate earth mother look to which I aspire.

And it’s funny, kinda. Guess we all have our pet bugaboos. If I were to say it out loud, I’d say “look I aspire to,” but with several generations of language teachers in my blood, I freeze in terror at the dangling participle on the screen, and am compelled to edit the sentence so it reads “look to which I aspire” before hitting “submit.” The same impulse that makes me want to reach into cyberspace and gently but firmly move the “you” one space to the left of the “thank” … although for all I know “thankyou” is all the rage among students down under. Guess we’re all sticks-in-the-mud, as well as stories, in the end. Really glad this community is so accepting and forgiving.

Anonymous @

@tardisblue

Oh no, don’t worry: that is something Son will get a dose of Mother slap for! Or should I re-phrase: “for which Son will get a dose of mother slap”

Thank you is two words and he should know that.

Perhaps because there are no red squiggly lines, he doesn’t think it matters much??

Mind you, I had a discussion with another poster the other day about the dangling modifier and some other dangly things (in English, please!) and I do believe we need to stop worrying about the “dangling participle on the screen”

We must release our worries!

Kindest, Puro

Anonymous @

Due to some private message business, I have decided that it would be a better idea if I were to leave the forum. My message was misunderstood, and I never intended to offend or insult anyone- but even so, I think this is the right move (and one I’ve dealt with more thoroughly via PM). This is a nice little forum, and I’ve enjoyed your annotations and discussions of this great season- thanks.

Regards,
    Supernumerary

Anonymous @

@supernumerary

I hope you can read this -out there in space! But of course you should come back. Nothing is bad enough that it can’t be fixed  -look at me. Now I have a hybrid of my own who keeps me sane.

I hope you decide to come back. Your opinions and ideas are well liked and your analyses carefully thought out and crafted.

There’s always a chance to come back -give yourself some time and come back with a new name if you wish to! Or be a lurker -but I would love it if you could contribute, still the way you always have.

Nothing is ever so bad in the morning.  Trust me.

Puro and Son xo

Arbutus @arbutus

Oh dear. I’ve never seen such a place for perfectly nice people putting one foot wrong and then feeling that they have to go away forever. Have you all gone Canadian?

I have no idea what was said to cause offense and don’t wish to know, but everyone should be entitled to second chances, do-overs, and so on, and I hope that @supernumerary will come back and join us again!

Arbutus @arbutus

@tardisblue     In my own writing at least, dangling participles are not a thing up with which I will put.   🙂   Although I am something of a grammar geek, I do try to be more chatty than not on the forums, so as not to come off as though my nose is too high in the air. But there are some fabulous writers hanging around here, and they make me feel that I need to keep on my toes!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@supernumerary

I am very saddened by your message, and echo the sentiments of others in hoping you will reconsider. I have no idea about the background to your decision, but one of the great things about this site in particular, is that it is a rather special pocket universe in hyper-space for civility and conviviality. The intended hurt and pain quite often inflicted on other sites is absent here. It would be a cruel irony indeed if we were to lose members because of misunderstandings, rather than because of the deliberate trolling that one finds elsewhere.

With a Doctor Who Christmas pantomime just around the corner, I hope you will be lurking at the very least, and contributing at the very best.

Whisht @whisht

erm – I have no idea what is behind @Supernumerary ‘s decision, but I do hope s/he returns. I really enjoyed your posts. Now I wish I’d said it earlier (as you’re unlikely to read this).

darn.

That wasn’t what I’d come to post (obviously it being me, it was something far more flippant) but I do hope Super returns.

My flippant post was one that I was surprised no one else made (maybe I am simply more silly than everyone else), but I did wonder about the conversation between Jenna Coleman and her partner Kit Harington last year:

“How’s the show going?”
    “Great thanks – and yours?”
    “Great too. New cast members are fantastic”
    “hm, I’m thinking of leaving if I’m honest. Its been a few years and…. well…. maybe I need new roles”
    “Really? Its a great gig. They’ll let you know if they want you out I think”
    “yeah, but maybe it should be my choice…”
    “well, honestly you’re one of the best things in it. If you ask to leave before they’re ready, then it’ll be like a stab in the back!”
    “ha ha – yeah, but it won’t be like that. It’ll be something about ‘Crows’ or ‘Ravens’ or something!”
    “ha ha – yeah. miss you”

Mersey @mersey

@arbutus @bluesqueakpip @puroandson

Thank you for your kind and wise replies. For the last few days I’ve been thinking very intensely about the question of Doctor Who and politics. I know that every episode has its more or less correct interpretation. Thank you for pointing me out what is the correct interpretation of the Zygon Inversion. But even that, I don’t have to like it. I don’t have to appreciate it. We come from many different countries and probalby have different experiences. And the Zygon Inversion is not the answer for my fear, grief, anger or helplessness. So I think I was correct in my opinion about this episode. It LOOKS TO ME shallow, naive or silly. But thankfully my opinion is not a rule and it can change.

As I’m not from the British Isles and my knowledge about the Nothern Ireland happenings are limited I’m not going to discuss them because I just don’t feel entilted to do that. But that’s another difference between us. Nothern Ireland is not a reference to me.

ichabod @ichabod

@mersey  And the Zygon Inversion is not the answer for my fear, grief, anger or helplessness. So I think I was correct in my opinion about this episode. It LOOKS TO ME shallow, naive or silly. But thankfully my opinion is not a rule and it can change.

Thinking about your post, above, for which my thanks.  The conversation here does tend toward the emergence of a sort of rough consensus about the flow of plot and character in any given episode, usually with dissent pretty amiably accepted (unless it’s obvious trolling and stirring for its own sake).  Moreover, I think that people welcome viewpoints informed by life-experiences not commonly reflected here, for whatever reasons.  It’s also good to be reminded of the limits of the show we love (they are many) and where it flies in the face of someone’s lived reality.  I believe it takes some friction, someplace back down the line, to make light . . . ?

@swordwhale

Ahh, Bex. With the assistance of Doctor Google, and Professor Wikipedia, here is your answer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Cup_of_Tea,_a_Bex_and_a_Good_Lie_Down

https://medicalsciences.med.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/soms/files/Bex%20point%20of%20sale%20advertisement%20PHM%20cropped.jpg

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave When my mum was in her 40s -that’s Puros mum  she’s take a bex, a cigarette, and a coffee and lie down, in fact, grandma Puro Ilion who died many yrs ago lived on bex -it was very addictive no?

Still don’t see it around now, though. Gone the way of the dodo. thank god for that.

Kindest, Puro

@puroandson

Addictive, oh yes.

As a small Blenkinsop, I recall there was regularly a box of Bex in the medicine cabinet, in the bathroom.  My mother “always had a box on the go” as they say.

Mudlark @mudlark

@blenkinsopthebrave  @puroandson   Bex as a brand name was, as far as I am aware, unknown in the UK. but we did have the equivalent generic APC tablets in our medicine cabinet when I was young.  Nobody took it on a regular basis, but I remember one occasion in particular when I had recourse to it.  Some time previously I had broken a molar so badly that it had to be extracted. Unfortunately my teeth have very strong and curly roots and the extraction was difficult. Afterwards it turned out that the dentist had left fragments of the root in the gum, and a nasty and very painful abscess developed.  In desperation I took about twice the recommended dose over the course of one day, which certainly dulled the pain, but left me feeling very strange indeed 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,047 total)

The topic ‘The Fox Inn’ is closed to new replies.