The Lair of the White Worm

Home Forums Non-Doctor Films The Lair of the White Worm

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Arbutus 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

Written and directed by the brilliantly visionary (or totally crazy, depending on your point of view) Ken Russell, ‘The Lair of the White Worm’ is a 1988 horror film loosely based on a Bram Stoker novel.

Peter Capaldi plays a Scottish archaeology student excavating the site of a convent. When he unearths an unusual skull which appears to be that of a large snake he tries to find the local legend of the d’Ampton ‘worm’, a mythical snake slain by John d’Ampton, the ancestor of the current Lord of the Manor, played by Hugh Grant.

The legend takes them to Lady Sylvia Marsh (a stand-out Amanda Donohoe) who lives in the moldering Gothic mansion down the lane.

It is over-the-top, farcical and campy, and yet it is often gorgeous to look at (as you’d expect) and is one of Russell’s more enjoyable films. Just remember, as one reviewer pointed out, the “cheap effects and gratuitous displays of nudity only heighten the film’s delirious demeanor.”

Arbutus @arbutus

I had heard of this but never seen it. It was pretty good fun, but it dealt me one great disappointment. I really though that we were going to see a plot in which evil is defeated through the playing of traditional instruments! I was so sad that it was not to be.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.