The Next Doctor

Home Forums General The Next Doctor

This topic contains 924 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 925 total)
  • Author
    taskagitmakass @taskagitmakass

on the last episode they said “Introducing John Hurt” so will John Hurt be the new one?

Or people keep saying John Hurt is between 8th and 9th Doctor, some kind of.. space, I dont know what to call it. Do you guys know anything ’bout that??

Davzon @davzon

I hope it will be someone as good as David Tennant was. Also does he still only have 12 regenerations or have the BBC wiped that out now?  but then saying that, River gave all of her regenerations to the doctor in the episode let’s kill Hitler.  It might be a woman doctor but, with the episode the doctors daughter she’s still alive somewhere, so what’s going to happen to her ? or will she be the one to take over the tardis when the main doctor is no more ?  Cause heard that the BBC are making the doctor Immortal.  Well I have no idea who the next doctor could be I know it can’t be John Hurt they wouldn’t it it plan light just like that. Cause he is after all the one that broke the promise of the name the doctor. To be honest I hope the doctor will be Immortal cause the thought of the doctor being only to regenerate for a set numbers of time would be sad. but then in the old dr who episodes Tom Baker goes on about only having 12.

RomanPrincess @romanprincess

Whoever the next doctor is it will take me while to get use to him 🙁 after the long time it took to love Matt I cant believe he’s leaving 🙁

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Supposedly William Hill now have Peter Capaldi at 2/1 to be the next Doctor.

Peter Capaldi was not even in our list a few days ago but he has been the subject of a lot of betting interest recently and this gamble would suggest that if he does not have the part already, he is almost certainly on the shortlist.

Now he would be amazing, I would pay double my licence fee to see that, and Moffat does like Scots and Scottish jokes, but I’d still prefer an unknown.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/30/doctor-who-betting-peter-capaldi-thick-of-it-malcolm-tucker_n_3675158.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Anonymous @

@craig — I’ve been saying for years that Capaldi should be the Doc but I would have thought he’s a little too old now and also a little too well known. The stream of ‘sweary Doc Malcolm Tucker’ jokes would get pretty tiresome for a start.

He’d be a great Doc though and it’s interesting that it’s suddenly cropped up out of nowhere. Especially since the big flurry of actors/agents jumping on a bit of free publicity seems to be over now. Plus we’re getting close enough to announcement time now for it to possibly be a leak of some kind…

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@craig  @jimthefish

Capaldi would have been an inspired choice once – but I am not so sure now.

Fires of Pompeii aside (and we know what a mistake casting a former guest star has been in the past…) I think Thick of It may make him undesirable from a marketing point of view.

I am told that both Andrew Scott and Daniel Rigby have indicated to other producers that they might not be available for proposed projects in 2014…

But inside the BBC an older woman in the role seems to be the muttering – because it would stamp the BBC as older woman friendly and “revive a tiring concept” (their words I am told from an internal memo – but I take it with a grain of salt) Nicola Walker and Maxine Peake are said to be the front-runners on that list.

All idle speculation I am sure.

On the other hand – if they don’t go for an older Doctor now, it will never likely happen again…

Nick @nick

@htpbdet @craig @jimthefish

Your gossip regarding an “Older woman” seems to have a believable BBC ring about it. I could see it happening, but the way you describe it is perhaps too good to be true.

Nick

Anonymous @

@htpbdet, @craig and @nick — well, I’ve been interested to note that Tilda Swinton — surely someone in significant demand — doesn’t seem to have anything line up for next year on her IMDB slate. But perhaps that is just wishful thinking on my part…

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@nick

Gossip is all it is.

Although, to be fair, the Nicola Walker source was the one to mention Matt Smith first after Tennant resigned…

But still…all with a huge grain of salt!

Cath Annabel @cathannabel
    ScaryB @scaryb

<waves hello to everyone>

Very very excited about announcement coming up on Sun.

@htpbdet LOL at your BBC comments on spoilers thread (couldn’t resist a peek – there seemed to be so much going on there!) There’ll be LOTS of people running round the Beeb pretending they’re the ones with the insider goss. Throw lots of names and hints about and maybe they’ll get lucky!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Hello @scaryb

Very very excited about announcement coming up on Sun

Yes, I think many of us are (well you and me for starters)

When the live show happens I wonder if…oh. perhaps I should finish this on the Spoilers thread. Off there now to do just that.

BanjoFiddler @banjofiddler

This has probably been mentioned … Just saw on imdb the character name of Peter Capaldi for the movie World War Z is “W.H.O Doctor”.

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

I’ve just watched a wonderful episode of EastEnders with an almost entirely female cast. Quite superb. And it makes me want a female doctor all the less. There are so many strong female parts, and so many in the offing, that why hijack Doctor Who? What good will it do? I grew up as as a teenage nerd in the nineties, and through the misery, bullied constantly, the Doctor was just about all I had to cling on to. I now know so many boys like I was, and losing the Doctor would be awful, dreadful.

I’m sure I’ll learn to cope if they unveil a woman on Sunday. But I’ll be gutted for all the boys like me who’ve just been denied their bolt-hole. I’ve moved on and even grown up a bit. But I really worry for them.

thekaled @thekaled

I think this whole thing is appalling. The next doctor should not be revealed on some tacky ratings stunt of a show. He/she should be revealed at the end of the series, it should be a moment of high drama.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@thekaled– no, it’s site for Doctor Who fans, which you obviously knew.

Anonymous @

@thekaled — Just calling for the show to be cancelled just doesn’t contribute anything to any kind of meaningful discussion. In fact, all it does is kill it stone dead. Feel free to discuss what you think is the series lacks but do it with some thought and hopefully with some detail.

I’ve felt compelled to edit some of the more troll-like aspects of your first posts but please in future respect the guidelines laid out in the etiquette page. Thanks.

thekaled @thekaled

I was merely trying to make the point that I would rather have nothing than what is being served up at the moment. But fair enough I will never mention the “c” word again if that’s what the rules say.

TARDIS translation circuits kicking in.

Yes people – I am a knob. It’s Friday night, I’m bored and I thought I’d pick a fight on the internet because my real life really is both pathetic and meaningless.

The SFX Forum comment system is down, so here I am. Delete me and I’ll come back, because I really am very pathetic. I can’t even be arsed to muster a cogent argument or explain my position. I really am a dick of the first sorting. Hey people. I really am a crushing bore. Do you get the message?

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@thekaled– the (now edited) attack on SM wasn’t really justified though. I don’t think the identity of the next Doctor Who actor has been a secret till the moment of regeneration once in AG who- I don’t know about BG who- but the earlier announcement is not down to Moffit, this is the first regeneration on his watch.

Agreed that the reveal show sounds a little tacky, and you can probably put that on him (baring in mind, though that since he is not controller of the BBC he isn’t complete controller of DW). And it would be nice not to  know until the actors first episode. But the mentality of calling for cancelation because you don’t like one thing that they’ve done, especially with who, which sees many different characters, many different show runners, and as a result, many different fans, seems rather small minded.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@thekaled

Thank god for TARDIS translation circuits. For a moment I thought you may have a couple of wits about your person. Sadly – you’re unarmed.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@thekaled– ah, the world is so full of you. Nah-night.

@thekaled – it is obvious to all that you are just another on-topic troll (has a time been set for the execution yet?), but let’s  imagine for a moment you aren’t.

It is obvious to anyone with a functional attention span that the original plan was for a shock regeneration at the end of the Christmas special. That is, what you avow to want is what was planned.

Sadly, a total and utter cock by the name of Ian Levine – a cancer on the arsehole of Who fandom for many a year – got wind that Smith was leaving and, in an act of supreme self-aggrandisement, spewed it all over Twitter, forcing the BBC’s hand.

What we are seeing is, very much, plan B since it prevents the identity of NuDoc being leaked and gives the BBC back a modicum of control. This is what happens when trolls get their way.

Happily, I see that @jimthefish has translated your post from Trollish to Truthish, but I’ve had a fun day twatting trolls and I wanted to join the fun.

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

Does anyone else think maybe there’s something significant in the trailers saying “The next Doctor” and not “The twelfth Doctor”? I mean, probably not but… well… possibly…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish

I come back to find out I’ve missed all the fun. Can I just say (I assume it was you) that “TARDIS translation circuits kicking in” is just genius, and possibly the best anti-troll measure I have ever seen.

Sounds like I would have been less kind (I’m guessing what was said), but you’ve certainly provided the bigger laughs.

Anonymous @

Actually @craig, the person needing help used the translation circuit phrase first.

Anonymous @

@craig, yes I’m afraid I can’t claim credit. I just edited their more idiotic posts and let them twist in their own foolishness afterwards. Was tempted to delete then totally but figured that everyone should get one chance to make an arse of themselves.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Wow, trolling and a sense of self-awareness at the same time. I’m sort of impressed now. Not in a totally good way, but just in the way that you think there may be inate goodness in everyone, even obvious trolls. And yes, I have been drinking tonight 😕

I’m not a big fan of deleting (cos they just sign up again). I’d rather they just decided it wasn’t for them, or decided to be constructive. We can always hope the latter may one day happen.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Interesting having trollers manefesto on the site though.

Anonymous @

I’m sure this is a ruse, but, still, I feel for anyone who has the balls to lay it out in public like this:

Yes people – I am a knob. It’s Friday night, I’m bored and I thought I’d pick a fight on the internet because my real life really is both pathetic and meaningless.

The SFX Forum comment system is down, so here I am. Delete me and I’ll come back, because I really am very pathetic. I can’t even be arsed to muster a cogent argument or explain my position. I really am a dick of the first sorting. Hey people. I really am a crushing bore. Do you get the message?

I don’t believe for one minute that you are so ‘pathetic” and find your own life so ‘meaningless’.  At least, not as you posit in your passive-aggressive message.  But you do need help, and I hope you get it.  I ‘got’ the message, and that message is, you need professional help.  Good luck in finding it.

ScaryB @scaryb

ROFL’d at TARDIS translation circuits. Think they should be installed as permanent feature (maybe virus check first tho).  Mighty impressed with our vigilant mods @craig @jimthefish @phaseshift @Shazzbot

@arkleseizure

I’m sure I’ll learn to cope if they unveil a woman on Sunday. But I’ll be gutted for all the boys like me who’ve just been denied their bolt-hole. I’ve moved on and even grown up a bit. But I really worry for them.

That and the rest of your post is quite beautiful. I will now feel really guilty if they’ve cast a woman. (Not that women actors, esp over “a certain age” are spoilt for choice in the type of parts that come their way. The Eastenders episode you mention sounds like a one-off and unusual)

@blenkinsopthebrave – don’t care how the announce it (and less tacky would be good) but am just really excited (and whatever the announcement it doesn’t really knock out the multiple regenerations in 1 series theory – just because they announce 1 doesn’t mean there aren’t others they’re not mentioning! But… but… you are strongly drawing me over to the dark side (ie the spoilers thread!))

@arkleseizure

Sorry to be the dissenting voice here but, in the context of what has been in the news for the past week or so, this:

There are so many strong female parts, and so many in the offing, that why hijack Doctor Who?

strays dangerously close to the offensive – not intentionally so, I am certain, but it does.

What are the “so many in the offing” what would be “hijacked”?

The good that it might do would be to show that a woman can be cast as the lead character in one of the BBC’s most valuable properties, that a woman can be a flawed, fractured hero, that a woman can hold the future of the universe in the palm of her hand and be trusted, and potentially that a woman doesn’t have to be more of a man than the men to set an example.

It would be a creative decision and it might or might not work. But nothing will have been hijacked.

thekaled @thekaled

wow I really touched a nerve here. Fair enough, I won’t mention the “C” word. But do I really have to justify the opinion: “I do not like the direction Steven Moffat is taking Dr Who?”

wow people. I still can’t summon up an obvious argument. Still looking for you to react to me. I don’t like Steve Moffat. Can’t summon the energy to explain in a long post why though.

Anonymous @

“do I really have to justify the opinion: ”I do not like the direction Steven Moffat is taking Dr Who?””  Yes, newbie, you really do.  This isn’t a drive-by site.

On the other hand, you could simply say:  ‘I, @thekaled , am a very sad person who has no life and tries to imagine having a life by stirring up people on the internet.  I’m only typing with my left hand because my right hand has RSI.’

Good luck to you, getting the professional help you need.

thekaled @thekaled

Also isn’t editing someone else’s messages and making them insult themselves as a punishment for simply expressing an unpopular opinion rather, er, troll-like?

I confused – I usually get – this comment has been deleted by a moderator. Please refer to …..

Anonymous @

@thekaled – no-one ‘made you insult yourself’.  You’re doing a darned fine job of that all on your own.

thekaled @thekaled

Why? Because I don’t like Moffat? TBH I wouldn’t have bothered coming back but this thing emails me when someone posts on here.  I will come back and tell you more about why I don’t like moffat later if you like,

Don’t wait up. I’m such an imbecile I can’t follow the instructions to sign out of the site and not receive e-mail. Pity me. I am an oaf. The very idea that I can summon my thoughts to launch a valid criticism of Moffats reign, something that does occur on this site, is a bit laughable. I simply seek reaction. Do you see?

Anonymous @

@thekaled – what this site cherishes are people who can debate their position eloquently.  There are no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ opinions.  There are, however, drive-by trolls who have nothing to say except (as you have already done):

Yes people – I am a knob

That is your epitaph.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

Wow I go away for a few weeks and this place proves more challenging to keep up with than my ninja like toddler!

Congrats to @shazzbot on the promotion to über lord 🙂  Also loved the TARDIS translation circuits anti trolling – genius (@jimthefish I think?)

Lots of thoughts come
    and gone as I’ve been reading through but as far as the announcement of the announcement of
    the announcement is concerned – hopefully the start of a 50th build up by the beeb hence doing a big life show. Not sure it’s indicative of a big name. It could be the chance to hype up an unknown or they need 30 mins to introduce all 12 new doctors for next season (having failed to get traction for a doctor lite series theory I’m shamelessly taking @blenkinsopthebrave‘s multi regeneration theory and sprinkling in 12 doctors scattered through time and Clara has to choose the one who deserves to carry the name of the doctor

otherwise, I hope it’s Andrew Scott, and I hope that’s why Sherlock season 2 has just been on to remind everyone that he’s bloody good. I also think its the best possible time for a female doctor – 50th anniversary, everything in the air continuity wise etc but I just have a feeling we won’t be getting one.

OK we’ve had our fun. Can we get on with the execution now?

Anonymous @

Welcome back OsakaHatter !  I hope your Ninja Toddler is doing well (as you are too).

@pedant – you and your public executions!  If only I had that power (mwahahahaha!).

GothamCelt @gothamcelt

How’s this for a bonkers idea?  The moment arrives on the live show for the new Doctor to be revealed. The curtain is pulled back and out steps the first Doctor. David Bradley in full Hartnell costume. A regeneration within a regeneration sort of thing. I think it would be a masterstroke and would appeal to everyone – a real regeneration of the Doctor. What could be more fitting than having the first Doctor return for the 50th anniversary? How is it explained ? – well timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff.

Just a thought.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@gothamcelt Yes, all time-loops welcome. I’m still really up for David Warner playing the first Doc…

Hello everyone! <waves at all> Thanks for missing me @scaryb and @craig et al. I’ve just had a wisdom tooth out so am feeling a bit woozy!

Glad to see you are up and about @htpbdet

I hear we have a wee BBC announcement coming up this evening 🙂

Like @romanprincess I am in mourning for the departure of Smithy. All the speculation about his next incarnation has meant we haven’t yet celebrated his best moments – I suppose that comes once he has taken his last bow (tie).

Capaldi would be great, although as @jimthefish says, there would indeed be a deluge of sweary Who memes to contend with (I’m sure the first few would be hilarious).

I do have to agree with @IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan aka @pedant dear @arkleseizure

Thanks for all the strong female parts in EastEnders (really) but “soap is for girls, sci-fi is for boys” doesn’t help expand those prescribed gender norms we need to change to stop non-conforming children of both sexes being bullied.

Woman or man, I feel for the actor about to take on the Who mantle today! Just imagine the butterflies in their stomach as they prepare for a deluge of press following tonight’s announcement (unless the “announcement” proves to be some kind of giant Moffat wind-up).

Royal baby coverage? Pffft – you ain’t seen nothin’ yet 🙂

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Hello @juniperfish! Great to see you again (well, your avatar, anyway). If only we could entice @bobbingbird back from his rural idyll, and @whohar out of the bath. It seem somehow incomplete that they are not here to witness the birth of a new Doctor.

Or, perchance, a number of new Doctors? No, perhaps not.

Of course, the one thing about Moffat that unites everybody, is the belief that Moffat lies. So perhaps a new Doctor will be revealed in a few hours, and then when the Christmas special airs it will a be different Doctor! No, that is probably too conspiratorial even for Moffat.

Alas, I will probably be asleep in the colonies when it all happens, so I am looking forward to the responses of my fellow Enthusiasts when I wake up.

AmyOswinTyler @amyoswintyler

A live episode of Doctor Who TONIGHT at 7pm GMT, the episode will reveal who the next doctor is. My question is, if it is a real episode, how  can they show you the new doctor without getting rid of matt smith? but what if there is going to be two doctors. ‘There’s two of you, the mind races, dose it not?’

Nick @nick

@amyoswintyler

I’ll bite. Its not an episode of the show, but a short documentary during which they’ll announce and probably interview the actor or actress ho will play the next Doctor. The BBC did the same when Matt Smith related David Tennant (leaving most of us to say Matt who ?).

Nick

thommck @thommck

If you follow the doctor who twitter you’ll have seen this but the announced the line up for tonight, not too bad. Also they day it’ll be worth sticking around after the show. I’m hoping that means a Next Time trailer 😀
    —–
    Peter Davison (the Fifth Doctor) will be there in person and Matt Smith (the current Doctor) and Colin Baker (the Sixth Doctor) will also be contributing.

The marvellous Bernard Cribbins (Wilfred Mott) will be there in person and there’ll be contributions from former companions including Anneke Wills (Polly), Katy Manning (Jo Grant), Janet Fielding (Tegan) and Bonnie Langford (Mel). Writer and actor Mark Gatiss also features in the show by way of a specially recorded video.

Celebrity fans in the studio include Rufus Hound, Liza Tarbuck and from Outnumbered, Daniel Roche. There’ll also be video contributions from Professor Robert Winston, Jo Whiley, Bruno Tonioli and following his appearance in The Power of Three, Professor Brian Cox.

And, of course, the next Doctor will be there…
    —–

wolfweed @wolfweed

News blethers – The breakfast presenters are so frickin’ insincere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FszeobI8e1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYiRjhFWPyo

It occurs to me that Eddie Izzard would be a splendid leg pull of those who want a woman Doctor…

wolfweed @wolfweed

@pedant

Slow zoom out from the high heels…

z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@juniperfish oooh, commiserations on the tooth. I hope the woozy feeling has been brought on by good old fashioned prescription grade medication. You may be in a perfect place to find tonight enjoyable.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 925 total)

The topic ‘The Next Doctor’ is closed to new replies.