The Next Doctor

Home Forums General The Next Doctor

This topic contains 924 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 925 total)
  • Author
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@pedant. Always though Izzard would be a brilliant Doctor. Some of his early screen appearances were a bit rubbish, but you can see him grow to the point where he really does shine in stuff like “The Richies”. Plus – the Doctor arguing with a companion on who has the best dress – what’s not to like in that scenario?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

19:38 I’m spent – and to borrow a Malcom phrase FUCKING DELIGHTED. A great choice that makes me anticipate the next era. Brilliant stuff.

19:30 CELEBRATE – COMISERATE – EXTERMINATE! We have a new Doctor! Rejoice! Rejoice!

19:28 It’s Capaldi!!!!!!

19:26 OOOHHHH! It’s the Moff. “I think it’s time the QUEEN was played by a man”.

19:21 Thank god for Bernard Cribbins. Young people – welcome to the childhood of anyone of my age (40 odd years). Rufus Hound is sincere, but still more than a little bit of an arse.

19:19 Nice montage. “JO – It looks like someone has baked you.” BRUNO – AAARGH!!!

19:15 Zoe has told us the next Doctor is “IN THE BUILDING”. May your rectum prolapse with excitement NOW!

19:11 Matt Smith interview – May I start blubbing now? (in a manly way)

19:09 Liza Tarbuck is available for any event. It’s why she is on this show.

19:04 Mr Davison – His grandchildren. Pity them. Expected Doctor DNA squared.

19:04 Ladies and gentlemen – Zoe Ball. Can you think of any other daughter of a TV maths god who became a radio star and married a famous DJ you’d rather see present something like this?!

That has to stump people.

19:01 5-4-3-2-1 Oh Gods. Welcome to the awful reality of Light Entertainment people!

18:57: Thanks @chickenelly for the link to the competition. Stuart Hetitage what a ****ole. Good luck to him. here’s the link

18:50: Hi all – Only 15 minutes to start. It occurs to me that our overseas people (even those who have the benefit of the simulcast) may have weird conceptions of each others output. I’ve met fellow UK inhabitants who seem to think that all US TV consists of high quality HBO type shows. I’ve met people in the US who think that for people in the UK it’s all Doctor Who, Broadchurch, David Attenborough, etc.

I think all our nations are united in a shared belief that dishing out dross to their public in MASSIVE doses is a good thing. I’m hoping the Doctor show tonight will not be considered in this way, but I think this is a forlorn hope.

I’ve just tuned in to BBC one and I have something with crocodiles and other reptiles which seems on the dangerous “oooh – when those pesky animals attack” territory of the SKY channels. What dross are you watching at the moment?

17:08: I think it’s safe to say that anticipation is reaching fever pitch (in my imagination).

The Royal Family have retired to private chambers to view this special. A courier has been dispatched to inform Her Majesty on who her new protector is.

The Pope has just said : “I thought my election, with the smoke thing, was exciting, but I didn’t get Zoe Ball. I can’t wait to see who 12 is”. What a gent. Probably.

16:34: @jimthefish raises an interesting point about the certainty of the press over Peter Capaldi. Just before Matt Smith was anointed there was a late surge of betting on him to become Doctor 11. Are we to believe that a lot of minor personnel from Cardiff nip in to Ladbrokes to have an insider bet?

16:08: Here’s a funny anecdote. Went into my nearest off-licence and stocked up. As I was paying the manager, I beamed “Who do you think the next Doctor will be”.

He said “Huh?”. Readers will be happy to know that I TCE’d the philistine on the spot and left, without paying, leaving a queue of people horrified in my wake.

Call that customer service? I don’t.

14:48: This frivolity will have to cease for a little while. Having visited the dungeon and checked my booze store I realise I am down to the last six cases of Vodka, and am perilously close to being sober tonight. I feel the need to visit my nearby off-licence. Please support your own local businesses. You’ll miss them when they’ve gone.
    You will need:

1. Alcohol. Lots of.
    2. Popcorn or blown corn snacks (perhaps Cheesy) to hurl at the screen in disbelief (doesn’t cause as much damage as actually kicking the screen)

14:22: The Guardian is reporting that Tom Baker and Billie Piper will also be in attendance. Is 35 minutes enough? It seems a limited timeframe if Tom is on form and relays an anecdote.

14:09: Many thanks to @thommck for the update at 11:39 on the line-up for tonight’s show.

Peter Davison (the Fifth Doctor) will be there in person and Matt Smith (the current Doctor) and Colin Baker (the Sixth Doctor) will also be contributing.
    The marvellous Bernard Cribbins (Wilfred Mott) will be there in person and there’ll be contributions from former companions including Anneke Wills (Polly), Katy Manning (Jo Grant), Janet Fielding (Tegan) and Bonnie Langford (Mel). Writer and actor Mark Gatiss also features in the show by way of a specially recorded video.
    Celebrity fans in the studio include Rufus Hound, Liza Tarbuck and from Outnumbered, Daniel Roche. There’ll also be video contributions from Professor Robert Winston, Jo Whiley, Bruno Tonioli and following his appearance in The Power of Three, Professor Brian Cox.

A 6 hour warning that the show will contain Bonnie Langford is a valuable public service. I think I’ll just go and check my booze store to see if I have enough. And Bruno Tonioli?! Comparisons with a Strictly LiveBlog look a bit dangerous at this point.

14:02: Is it really only a couple of weeks since Steve Moffat spoke at the SDCC convention and boldly stated that the search for Doctor 12 had “barely begun”? How we laughed.

13:49: Hello one and all. Welcome to the top of page 12, which seems fortuitous. Join me tonight as I attempt to Liveblog the event for those who can’t access the televisual spectacle we have been promised. I’ll be updating this post throughout the day to try to bring home to you the full experience of sitting through a 35 minute BBC Light entertainment extravaganza to find out WHO it will be.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the “LiveBlogging” concept, I am aiming to recreate the feel of the Guardian. Here is what they do with something like Strictly Come Dancing.

So a mixture of moronic insight, stating the bleeding obvious and pitiful attempts at humour. People who read my usual output (all 2 of you) will not really see any change of style.

Nick @nick

@phaseshift

You’re doing yourself a dis-service there. There are at least 3 of us 🙂

Nick @nick

@phaseshift

I have three questions for your live blog. I recall audience participation is obligatory (well it is on the BBC ashes coverage anyway)

1. what do you think the odds are that they’ll run the anniversary show trailer ?
    2. How many minutes into the show will they keep us waiting before making the big announcement ? and
    3. Do you think the show will be as naff as last time when they announced Matt ?

Nick

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@nick

I feel it’s not the quantity of the people who read my posts, it’s the quality. 🙂

To answer your questions

1. Odds on certainty – Probably at the end. when it was announced my Guide showed 30 minutes. Now it shows 35.
    2. I reckon about 22 minutes.
    3. Naffer.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift — I shall look forward to your liveblog.

What with a new Doctor and (probably) a trailer tonight, there’s suddenly going to be a lot to talk about after a relatively quiet few months…

Oh, and I’m sure you’ve all seen the Guardian’s look-ahead piece. The BTL comments are positively bursting with Arse however….

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/aug/03/doctor-who-bbc-show

Is it just me or does there seem to be a growing consensus/acceptance that it is going to be Capaldi? I can see why he’d want to do it actually. What better way to escape from the sweary Tucker vibe that’s following him around like a bad smell?

(Anyone who posts hi-larious ‘imagine the Doc as Tucker swearing at Daleks/Davros/Rassilon’ drivel will now get slapped with a halibut btw.)

Whisht @whisht

@phaseshift – is it ok to comment now, or does the liveblogging format only really work when its a pure stream of drivel from one person rather than several?

its just that I think it’d be fun us making comments too….

oh, and I make 4 (at the very least)

Nick @nick

@jimthefish

Peter Capaldi would be great, but I still think its likely to be another who !? moment UNLESS its an actress.

Nick

Anonymous @

@nick – oh, I agree but there just seems a certain tone to the pieces in today’s press. Almost as if it’s a done deal. And I imagine a lot of them have been told by now anyway.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht – no, please do continue with your comments! I’m just doing this to take the piss out of the Liveblog format, and hopefully to inform anyone who can’t see it what they are not missing.

The more the merrier.

I really need to nip of to the shop though. Bonnie Langford – Christ.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift – thanks for the tooth commiseration 🙂

*See* you for the live blog tonight! You will have to have a tipple for me, as apparently that’s a bad plan after a gnasher divestiture.

I’m sure those in the colonies <waves at @blenkinsopthebrave> (will we get any hints on the Kennedy fourth wall thesis today?) will be amused to read stream-of-consciousness reactions to the announcement later on, as they’ll likely be asleep during live-air.

Nick @nick

@phaseshift

You better watch out for what you wish for. Bonnie Langford as the Valeyard anyone ?

Nick

Nick @nick

@juniperfish

I read it was being shown live at 4 am on an Aussie channel. If rain doesn’t stop play at Old Trafford before then it sounds like a perfect excuse for a Monday morning sickie

Lula @lula

Such an exciting day to be driving to the the beach. Thank God for the DVR and you good people for keeping me in the know. Can’t wait to hear everyone’s thoughts later.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Bloody predictive text on my tiny phone!

Whisht @whisht

@phaseshift – careful what you wish for #2

I really do do drivel.

Whisht @whisht

oh, and btw @gothamcelt – I rather liked your idea of David Bradley walking out to be introduced as the “next” Doctor to confused whoops and applause….

Anonymous @

@juniperfish – sorry to hear about your wisdom tooth.  I had three of them out all on the same day, myself.  What I remember most is how my jaw hurt from being so wide open, for so long.

But the codeine-based painkillers were excellent!  I wish I had a stash of those to hand for watching tonight’s programme … 🙂

I won’t be able to watch the show tonight until it appears on iPlayer which could be hours later (or minutes, who knows?).  I’m still deciding whether to keep up with @phaseshift ‘s liveblog, or impose internet silence on myself until I can see it …

Anonymous @

@chickenelly – is there something in your post that you want me to edit?

Btw, are you talking about the BBC site?  I looked at their ‘tweet-roll’ but only saw their own listed there, nothing from Rankin.

Whisht @whisht

if it is Capaldi, 2014 will be an interesting year, as he plays Cardinal Richelieu in The Musketeers next year too…..

Though to be fair, I s’pose they’re both madman-in-a-(sometimeshorsedrawn)-box

wolfweed @wolfweed

Apparently (according to the BBC News) only 10 people know who the next Doctor is…

Whisht @whisht

so, how do you prepare for a media meshing event?

Start the booze too early and its just clumsy fingers on a keyboard, plugging away and submitting 5 minutes after the incident.

Start the booze too late, and you’re far too sober to be exposed to the nonsense.

Honestly, does Wogan’s autobiography give any tips?

Anonymous @

@jimthefish

Anyone who posts hi-larious ‘imagine the Doc as Tucker swearing at Daleks/Davros/Rassilon’ drivel will now get slapped with a halibut btw.

Yes, please!  It was funny the first time and now it’s tediously boring.  It also shows what limited imaginations people have of an actor being able to inhabit multiple characters.

I mean, I first saw Peter Capaldi in Local Hero – there couldn’t be anything further from Malcom Tucker than Danny Oldsen.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

only 10 people know who the next Doctor is…

Unfortunately – if one of them is Ian Levine, pandemonium ensues.

wolfweed @wolfweed

A queue is forming…

z

Anonymous @

@craig, in looking up Danny’s last name for my previous post, I saw this on Peter Capaldi’s Wiki page:

As an art student, he was the lead singer in a punk rock band called Dreamboys, whose drummer was future comedian Craig Ferguson.

… Do all you Scots know each other?  🙂

Long ago on another thread here, you posted a clip of Craig Ferguson on his show, talking about being 15 years sober.  He had some really good and interesting things to say about addiction, and media attention.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Aaaa, back to the safety of laptop land and a proper keyboard with no predictive text.  I was going to add that when I tried to put the words ‘hint or misdirection’ in my original post, it came out ‘Hinton misdirection’ – presumably Apple commenting on David Cameron’s ex special advisor.

I do like the girl in the foreground’s Tardis dress and snazzy Tardis hat set at a jaunty angle inn @wolfweed‘s picture.

Anonymous @

Hi everyone – I put on my Topic Nazi hat and moved all the Rankin-related comments to the Spoilers thread.  I know it’s only a couple of hours away, but those conversations were admittedly spoilery right now.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot I’ll let you off with that one 😉

Rankin’s such a twat I just don’t take anything he says with any seriousness, but I guess others could judge it as spoilery. Thanks for moving.

Anonymous @

@craig – your ‘Spoiler x3’ hack works in the Activity stream even on moved posts, you’ll be glad to hear …

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I know 😀

Is not based on the original post, but on the text of the activity post. i.e.

Shazzbot replied to the topic Spoilers in the forum General

If that text contains the word Spoilers then you get SPOILERS x3.

I may have to change that if someone does a blog post about “The effect of Spoilers in online communities” or something, but is an easy fix if that does happen.

chickenelly @chickenelly

@danmartinuk appears to be attempting to get #twelfth night to trend on twitter…

Does this site get a copyright fee?

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot

Do all you Scots know each other?

Probably! Or related. Especially the showbiz ones. Craig F is also massive DW fan as you know.

@chickenelly LOL re predictive text… it’s a whole new world of typos and new creations

Re #TwelfthNight – yes we should 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

@phaseshift – now that you’ve augmented your 6 cases of vodka (!), do you think you’ll survive a Bonnie Langford sighting?

Remember my TV-less status so I will be relying upon your live blog to give me the full experience.   If Bruno T starts dancing, I demand exact descriptions of his movements!  😆

Rob @rob

1800 seconds and counting

Anonymous @

oh, and excellent to see you back @juniperfish!!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Here’s a shot of the studio…

http://ow.ly/i/2N0bg/original

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – fezzes are cool!

Is that ladder part of the production?  Or are they still fixing the lights?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed Did I miss something? Are you actually there? If so, lucky (or unlucky depending on the quality of the show) you!

wolfweed @wolfweed

No, not there, just using this twitterer.

http://ow.ly/user/anglophenia

chickenelly @chickenelly

The Grauniad are doing a rival live blog to @phaseshift.  I won’t link to it, otherwise @Shazzbot will move me to the spoiler section but there is another hint/gossip/misdirection on it if you want to go see…

Hooo hooo *rubs hands together* only ten mins to go – but we still have the trial by fire of Bonnie first.

Anonymous @

@chickenelly – links are fine!  Just no details specifically in a post.

Here’s the G:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/aug/04/doctor-who-announcement-live-blog

Rob @rob

and que the music……………

Anonymous @

Fat Man signing in…

(waves excitedly to everyone)

chickenelly @chickenelly

Is it wrong to be looking forward to this even though it is BBC light entertainment at its worst?

Whisht @whisht

breathlessly – @rob – good to see you back.

Not erm, breathlessly you, but, erm y’know the whole thing and , erm…

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@chickenelly I’m watching through my fingers 🙂

Eee I remember Zoe Ball’s Dad on Blue Peter…

Whisht @whisht

oh shit – Daniel Roche is the next Doctor Who

#ohshitdanielrocheisthenextdrwho

chickenelly @chickenelly

@juniperfish wasn’t it Playschool he was in with Derek Griffiths, et al. *adjusts pedants’ wig*

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 925 total)

The topic ‘The Next Doctor’ is closed to new replies.