Website comments (2)

Home Forums General Website comments (2)

This topic contains 704 replies, has 84 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 705 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi @janetteb Many thanks. The site hardly costs me anything at present. However, I’d like to keep it that way if possible. If problems persist I’ll look at other server options and let you all know.

Craig

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant Many thanks. Has been dealt with. Am currently having a few days off so thanks for looking out for the site.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish

I think your Firefly blog has been spammed.

Either that, or there’s a connection between Firefly and cheap trainers that I just don’t get. 😉

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @jimthefish

Our spammer has been given a size 12 boot up the backside 😉

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Thanks to @bluesqueakpip and @fatmaninabox for dealing with the spammage. Have been rather indisposed today….

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi all,

I updated the site today and something went seriously wrong. I had to rewind the site to before the update so any posts made in the last 20 hours or so have been lost.

I apologise. Especially to @arbutus who wrote some hilarious new lyrics to “How do you solve a problem like Maria”, and all those who commented on Earthshock part 4.

Normal service has been resumed and I will be more cautious in future.

If you have any issues please let me know as soon as possible.

Many thanks and apologies again.

@craig

Ah, yes.
    That reminds me of the time my site owner e-mailed me urgently saying ‘I was wondering what the delete table button did, so I pressed it…’ 😕

Rollbacks are wonderful things. 😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Ah yes, this always makes me laugh when I f**k up! once again apologies to all those who lost posts.

The great xkcd

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig aka Emperor Craig (…I assume this is how we address all posts since the resolution of the @pedant problem…)

No need to apologise. Considering the marvellous magic you have performed for us, the odd cock-up is understandable. Indeed, I would love to be able to re-wind the Blenkinsop memory in a way that deleted all reference to a particular relationship back in the 1980s. But,alas, she…and Lady Macbeth..(oh, two relationships now I come to think of it) still intrude on the Blenkinsop brain. Yep, time to open another bottle of red.

Anonymous @

@craig

thank you for your wonderful work. I’m excited and looking forward to this. It must be hours of fiddly work (to say the least) so thanking you in advance, Craig.

And to all the mods, for advice, help and great comments: also for stepping in when needed  – – @PhaseShift I’m looking at you -when we’ve had the odd member (newbie or occasional visitor) who’ve decided to bring in an agenda which is probably fine (but maybe not with me!) and yet is dealt with professionally and courteously .

This is usually something to do with hating the Doctor, disliking Moffatt, and the inevitable Missy/androgynous/should the Dr be a woman or not?  I’ve absolutely no problem with discussions; that’s why we’re here but there’s a way to go about it, I guess, so thank you Mods for keeping the place sophisticated and gentle…in a world where people on the ‘net can be furious and vividly opinionated.

Um, change my avatar….not sure how to even do that (no idea how I actually did it in the first place!) but my original avatar has a fire (pur) on top of an ‘ancient styled’ cremation burial scene (not exactly funny and light, is it?) which fits the name….and I like the name so I might just keep all that….thinking….thinking….. 🙂

Kindest, puro.

Anonymous @

@arbutus

How do you solve a problem with Maria?  Oh I never read your new lyrics….?  They must have been wonderful:   q p q p  (trying to put in musical notes there)

Arbutus @arbutus

For @purofilion          In regard to tagging people (or atting them as I call it), @craig told us that he had solved the @pedant problem, which I see is no longer solved, making my lyrics even more relevant!

How do you solve a problem like @pedant?
    How do you catch a cloud and keep its shade?
    How do you find a word that means @pedant?
    A thunderbolt! A laser beam! A blade!

Many a thing he will not fail to tell you.
    Many a thing he makes you understand.
    But how do you make him quit
    the flow of biting wit?
    How do you keep a tsunami from the sand?

Oh, how do you solve a problem like @pedant?
    How do you hold the lightning in your hand?

Anonymous @

@arbutus

Ah, brilliant. Now, I just need to set this up with my choir, ooh, but if I had the time (& I was actually working) to then record it. Maybe someone else could do that –looking at you Arbut.

@pedant you must be proud!!

It’s true that many ppl still do the “IamNotaFish…..” and then go “huh?” when it doesn’t ‘light up’!

Now …to the pub for a question….

I have a JINGLE!!!!!

*Beams*

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi all, many thanks for all your kindness. I will try not to let you down again. You are a lot of lovely people. I’m glad this forum found you.

Having rolled back the site last night the work I did on it was lost, but I have now re-instigated the fix to the now infamous, with its own theme song, @pedant problem.

You will now see on the forums that each user has their @ name below their username, so hopefully no more confusion. It doesn’t look great in this format but in the redesign I’m working on it will look a lot prettier. I didn’t want to wait for the redesign to be finished before instigating this because I thought it was so helpful, especially to new users.

As I said in my now deleted post, this means that you can now change your display name just as you can change your avatar, and we will still know who you are. So have fun.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@purofilion If you do ever fancy a change, just go up to the top bar, where it says “Howdy, Purofilion”. Hover over it and then hover over “Profile” in the dropdown. You get options to edit your profile (including display name) or your avatar.

Anonymous @

@craig

can I say LOL?

In my email, I received a tag from George Bailey and I was about to welcome a newbie. OK. Also, the Capra thing. 2 ticks there at least.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I might just do that: spending a lot of time at my computer these days.

Kindest, puro.

I prefer to think of myself as a challenge….

Anonymous @

@pedant

How do you solve a challenge like a pedant?

Does it scan, man?

No!

OK.   Harsh.

No (I’ve been mowed down by Krynoid on d’udder thread and I was just asking about Batman. Sheesh).

Also, I’m all flowers now. Pansies. But flowers, still.

@purofilion

Last time I look “problem” and “challenge” had the same number of syllables.

Also, Freddie Mercury never much let scansion get in his way. Just listen to We Are The Champions.

Anonymous @

@pedant

it’s not always about syllables unfortunately. The way the words move from prob -lem to ‘like’ (which is good) as well as from ‘solve -a’ to ‘chall’ does cause a difficulty with singing/scansion. Going from chall-enge to ‘like’ is what we’d describe as ‘eggy’. The other minor issue is the bounce from the last letter ‘m’ -you won’t have that with ‘enge.’ It’s complicated.

You want a neat, unfussy mouthful of words particularly with that style of music. Rock music or glam rock (and Queen sits in its own genre) is quite different. And yeah, We Are the Champions is a good song but in some places it scans poorly. It’s Rebel Rock and a classic piece like ‘Maria’ probably needs to stay within the rules.

Anyway, why am I even discussing this! Arbutus did a great job (well done, you) and ‘problem’ works very nicely in its position in the lyric. Must dash off this particular thread, though….

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

I’m sure I’m being dim but how do I get to start a new thread?  I’m mid re-watch of S9 and wanted to comment on The Unquiet Dead.  Ta!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi @cathannabel You’re not dim. Only the mods can start new topics. It’s something I instigated from the start to keep interaction focused, and save us from having to merge a thousand similar topics into one every day.

I’ve started a thread for The Unquiet Dead. Look forward to your contribution. It’s actually one of my faves, and I think it’s possibly Gatiss’ best.

If you want any more added then please let me know.

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/the-unquiet-dead/

@craig many thanks, that sounds like a very sensible policy.  Glad you like the ep, I’d forgotten how good it was.  I will post something asap.

Anonymous @

@craig

@cathannabel

Oh thank goodness someone explained that because I have been bending my wee brain trying to figure out how to do that!!

Hello! I’m new 🙂 I’ve posted a few items so far and am glad to be here amongst like minded Whovians.  And if you cannot already tell I’m from across the pond …. Do I get any credit at all that I know that expression?  Or that it’s a Pond?? I know I am but a lowly treacherous colonist however I do have a pen pal (actually hand writing letters) in the UK (she’s actually in Jersey now but from Kent) and …. Well I love the Doctor.  Am about to have a tardis tattooed on me actually …. It’s in the list with all my other that I want 🙂  in any case I would be honored to humbly post among ya’all.  (No I don’t talk like that really but all we Americans sound alike right?)

thank you you thank you for just being here for me to find! I’m not great at forums and will do my best to adhere to etiquette and please let me know if I goof up

I’m also a huge Rush fan as well so always happy to dish on geddy and the boys …

R

Anonymous @

@Rose2112

welcome to the Forum: hope you enjoy our mad theorising. Well, there are mad, clever theorists amongst us and whilst I’m ‘mad,’ I’m definitely not one to theorise very successfully. <<*-*>>

Everything I’ve predicted hasn’t happened but I enjoy throwing my cap into the ring anyway.  I enjoy the timey whimey debates and the fantastic diagrams about time which @bluesqueakpip has drawn for us over the past year or more.

I also enjoy discussions about deus ex machine, the Goethe/Gretchen parallel and other literary yummies.

So, a tattoo, and a Tardis one at that? You are committed! My only accoutrement from Who is a mug which, when heated, has a disappearing Tardis. Yep, not that awesome, but still, it’s a start…..

Anyway,  oops, I should be in the pub (The Cloven Hoof) discussing this stuff. I’d better hover over there.

Kindest,

puro

Anonymous @

@purifilion

omg. Same mug.  Except mine got ruined when it got put in the dishwasher (not by me) and so now I use it to hold my garlic bulbs in the kitchen so at least I can look at it everyday! I also have a nice big Who reference book my best friend bought me (along with that mug)

Thanks for the welcome!

janetteB @janetteb

Hi and welcome @rose2112

I am envious. I want that mug. I have several Who mugs but I have never seen that one and now with the demise of our beloved ABC shops I am not likely to..

@craig. Good work as always. I was following the discussion but too brain dead to comment at the time. Maybe I should take the opportunity to fix the typo in my name..

Cheers

Janette

Kharis @kharis

BBC disappearing TARDIS mug, tall and TARDIS blue, is dishwasher safe.  Makes me smile every morning.   Shipping is pricey “across the pond” but to all ya locals it’s inexpensive.  Good way to cheer up a Whovian’s morning rituals.

Anonymous @

@kharis

im surprised it’s expensive it should be choose for you guys that’s makes no sense to me.  I need another one ASAP.  it was the ONLY mug I used until of course the aforementioned unfortunate dishwasher incident.

I was most put out. 🙂

Anonymous @

@kharis

cheaper.  Not choose. Bloody auto correct!

I have that mug! I bought it at WorldCon 2014 – it’s firmly labelled ‘not machine safe’, so I’ve never let it near a machine.

Anonymous @

@janetteb

I know -the ABC shops, right? what a dreadful shame. The two closest to me were operating on a loss for years.

Some while ago, I visited the local at a Westfield Shopping Mall and upon asking the sales person for some Dr Who vids she sounded a little….peeved. I said, “what’s wrong?”

Her response: “I hate Doctor Who. I hate it and I’m sick of all the people asking about it all the time. I don’t know what we have in stock but it’s all over there [pointing] so help yourself.”

Later, she didn’t seem in the least bit apologetic. I don’t think she’s worked there since. I made a complaint to management. All the sales ppl in that store were disingenuous and unhelpful about every piece of merchandise. What a shame. At least on this Forum we are polite (eerm, well, I’m trying to be), welcoming and yet we don’t sell anything! Just an enjoyment of the show….which is coming around very slowly indeed!

PatiencePuro.

Anonymous @

@purofilion

Sorry what’s an ABC shop? And where are you US or UK? You said Westfield mall so that makes me think US but who knows.

I have no patience.  I would have slapped her. 🙂

R

Anonymous @

@rose2112 we need to move this convo to The Cloven Hoof pub…..hovering….

Anonymous @

I’m sorry I’m really bad at forums. And apparently completely daft.  Is that a real place or am I supposed to be taking about mugs somewhere else? *sighs*

Anonymous @

@Rose2112 you’ll get the hang of it. This thread is for website based comments -usually short and sweet -for direction elsewhere or discussion about the nature of other threads and their improvement. Just the other day our emperor @craig spoke about updating the website which is what this thread is about -mentions of that sort.

A quick read of any thread should let you know what you’re about to read or should post.

The Pub (The Cloven Hoof) is more or less like any English pub -somewhere to groan, moan poke fun and loosen the hair a bit. The Sofa is more for brief introductions -like a café, a place to share some news without getting too heavy (we leave that to the Pub!)

Geddit? <<*\*>>

Anonymous @

@craig

@purofilion

got it!

R

lisa @lisa

@craig and or other mods – I cant seem to post / paste to the forum tonight
    I’m wondering if its me or are you doing something? Btw – I never have had
    anything from the spoiler thread for series 9 show up in my mail which
    seems really odd but hasn’t bothered me. Maybe it will fix itself 😉
    (I always hope that happens with laptop stuff)

lisa @lisa

I should say that I was trying specifically to post to the spoilers.
    Over here in the comments I didn’t have that problem and
    just though I should make a little mention cause its a bit weird. Thanks

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@lisa I don’t seem to be able to replicate the problem. But please let me know if it continues and I’ll try to find a solution.

Hi there, can we have threads for Dalek and especially Father’s Day please on the 9th Doctor forum?

Many thanks!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@cathannabel Just for you 🙂

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/dalek/

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/fathers-day/

I haven’t added any pics or any real commentary. Will leave that up to you.

Craig

Many thanks!  I will post something asap and hope to get some discussion going.

DrBrisbane @drbrisbane

Hi All,

I am new to the site and have some basic questions I hope you can help me with….  I have bought the 2005 seasons 1 thru 8 from JB Hifi and have been loving it…  But how do you keep track of the other mircilleaneous episodes like Xmas specials and the 50th Anniversay “Day of the Doctor” etc. Is there a list somewhere?  Thanks !!

Anonymous @

@drbrisbane

I’m also from bris., Welcome. The DVDs from JB should contain the Christmas Specials. But the Christmas Special from this past year will appear on the DVD for this coming series. Geddit? 🙂

The final Smith series contains, on DVD, all minisodes and extras. It doesn’t have The Day of the Dr. That has to be purchased separately from JB or the ABC shops -before closure. 🙁

The DotD is a movie special and can be bought for between $20 and $44 depending on suppliers.

Hope that helps: it’s what I managed to do, anyway. I also permanently recorded it at the time (ssh)

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@drbrisbane

The one thing I would add to the wise advice of @purofilion is that JB sells the complete 50th collector’ edition special, which includes everything, including “An Adventure in Time and Space” and  the brilliant “Five-ish Doctors…”

Come to think of it, why haven’t I purchased a copy…?

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave @drbrisbane

Mr Brave,

you’re quite right, it does do that and I forgot! Eek. I waited to buy Season 6 and 7 with the various additions when they came out -it did work out a bit cheaper. But it’s Who and I’d be betting on watching it many times so, really, it’s probably definitely worth it!

DrBrisbane @drbrisbane

Thanks guys !!!

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 705 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.