Website comments (2)

Home Forums General Website comments (2)

This topic contains 704 replies, has 84 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 705 total)
  • Author
    Missy @missy

@pedant; How about “The Sawney Bean” Tavern?

Just saying.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@craig We have another one.

Cheers

Janette

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig, @jimthefish, @ any Timelord out there,

Someone new wants to be my friend. I am sure I am not the only one who has received this attention…

p.s. The Fox Inn is a bit over-full.

nerys @nerys

@blenkinsopthebrave

You are not alone. I received a similar flirtation in my message inbox.

ichabod @ichabod

@blenkinsopthebrave  @nerys  Yep; me too.

Missy @missy

And me!

Missy

badwolf11 @badwolf11

Yeah Sonja Just loves my Profile (Which consists of just my user name) And wants me to message her directly to her hotmail account so she can show me pictures of her. I will get right on that … Not!

badwolf11 @badwolf11

Oh yeah and when I tried to sign in today it said I had exceeded the amount of password attempts so this new friend may also be trying to brute force accounts. So if you recently received a message from someone wanting to be a new friend might want to check your account and change your password. Lately the site has been intermittently not loading and this also goes with someone who might be trying to force accounts. Luckily I was able to get in and change my Password.

@badwolf11

Yep – a few have had the lockout. Usually it clears after a bit, but if it doesn’t log on via a vpn (seesm to be IP blocking) and that clears it.

ichabod @ichabod

@pedant   What’s vpn?  I too have had a loving message from Sonja, so I’m a bit concerned about getting locked out.

@ichabod

Virtual Private Network

The one I use is TunnelBear  https://www.tunnelbear.com

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Thank you @pedant for the suggestion re using a VPN, it worked straight away.  I was getting worried that I might be shut out from this lovely place for ever…

@cathannabel

I only used VPN to log in. Once in, I turned it if and that seems to have flushed whatever caching issue was stopping the problem resolving properly.

ichabod @ichabod

@pedant  Thanks!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi all, I’m back. Apologies for being away. Will try to back on more regularly.

@pedant @blenkinsopthebrave new pub has been started, in outer space.

@nerys @missy @ichabod and others, the lovely Soniya has been dealt with.

@badwolf11 @cathannabel and others. I too sometimes have trouble logging in and have to wait. It’s not anything you have done. It is a site-wide, user-wide security feature that activates if someone is trying to hack it. Even I can’t then get in. No one can. It’s annoying but it means the site should be safe from brute-force attacks.

If you wait ten minutes you can usually log in. Unfortunately it seems the site has been the focus of more attacks recently (or more people just forgetting their passwords all at the same time). I’ll keep an eye on it and let me know if it keeps happening.

ichabod @ichabod

@craig  Thank you; nice to have you back!

Missy @missy

@craig: Yes, many thanks and hello again.

Missy

jackThomas @jackthomas

Thank for share this link, I think you are right.

@craig

*sniffs* I smell a bot in the house….

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Was that just me or did something weird happen to this site today?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@miapatrick Happy New Year! No, it wasn’t just you – just me forgetting to renew the domain as usual. A few people thankfully spotted it earlier and all is right with the world again.

Apologies to all those who tried visiting this morning.

They do email me a month in advance and I say to myself “I must do that in the next few weeks” and then always forget! Will try harder next year.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Craig-same to you! no worries. Our home insurance is due for renewal late December. We always end up with a few riskey, uninsured days.

@craig

Glad to see you found a Shilling to put in the meter!

Missy @missy

@miapatrick: Thank goodness it wasn’t only mer. I breathed a sigh of relief when I read your post. I’d been trying for two days to get on to the forum.

@craig: No apologies necessary, I’m just relieved that everything is back in place.

@pedant: My gawd! That takes me back!

Anonymous @

I managed to get back! I almost gave up because for many weeks I’ve been getting the brute force attack message – always. Waiting didn’t help.

@craig

I suspect @ bossr121 is not here to be on topic….

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant Many thanks. They’ve been spammed.

@craig

There’s a spam post in the pub it would be nice to see gone, if you get a mo (axtually it has hooky links, so might be for the best).

Missy @missy

I wondered why I was able to get in so easily lately. Thank you Craig.

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

When did this become “The Sherlock Forum”?

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@toinfinityandbepond

Well, it’s been a pretty lean time for new Doctor Who to discuss over the last few months, so when some new writing by Moffat and Gatiss comes along…

And there has probably been more discussion of the US election on the Maldovarium thread than there has been of Sherlock. I see the Forum as a broad church that includes posts on music, and all sorts of stuff in the pub, and, while it’s around and Doctor Who isn’t, Sherlock.

And like all of us, I too am impatient for the return of Doctor Who.

AlexWho @alexwho

I’ll tide myself over with classic who. The Robots of Death came from Alibris yesterday 🙂

Missy @missy

@toinfinityandbepond:

What? There is a Sherlock thread among other things, but it isn’t a prime mover – so to speak.

@alexwho:

Good for you, I’m comforted by my many box sets, especially Peter Capaldi. Roll on April.
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”></div>

@craig

Call me suspicious, but I think there is something a wee bit iffy about [a]buyrs3gold

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi all,

Today I updated the site from http to https which means that any info inputted will now be encrypted as it is sent over the web. You used to really only have to do this for e-commerce because credit card data was being sent over the web, but it’s now best practice if you accept passwords as well. So I’m protecting you.

The site should work like normal but if you spot anything weird, please let me know.

Missy @missy

@craigL I wonder if that is what interfered with me?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I’ve seen more comments from people saying their posts went missing. I’ve checked the “spam” and “pending” posts and there is nothing there that shouldn’t be. So, I am at a loss to explain it.

All I can suggest is that you should always ‘select all’ (Ctrl A) and copy (Ctrl C) before you hit submit. I always do that, just in case.

That way if something goes wrong you can always paste it again (Ctrl V). That’s for PC users, unsure how you Mac users do it.

@craig

That’s for PC users, unsure how you Mac users do it.

cmd-a and cmd-v (the a, c and v were first used on Mac – initially ‘doze used different keys, but standardised PDQ)

@craig

Not sure if it is just me, but can you have a look to see if there is any reasons notifications have stopped coming through?

Ta muchly.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant I just got a notification regarding your comment of notifications not coming through, so it may just be you. But everyone, please let me know if there is a problem.

Missy @missy

Shall do.  Damned annoying for you pedant.

Missy

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@missy @pedant I get an email every time someone posts on this thread, for obvious reasons. And I got Missy’s this morning.

I don’t know what to suggest Pedant, maybe check your junk folder or allow the site URL. It may be the case that one message with a lot of links in it activated your spam filter.

Hope you get this!

To everyone else, please let me know if you feel notifications have stopped, or there are problems with them.

@craig

I suspect it may be my IT chaps grey listing getting over enthusiastic. But he’s in a meeting…

Missy @missy

@craig;

Thank you for that. As far as I know, I always get notified.

Missy

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Is iusedtobethedoctor  a troll or just an offensive and immature poster. Now i can swear with the best of them but on here i try to moderate the language I use as I am aware we may have younger  members involved and try to show by example that derogatory and offensive use of language is not the way to hold a reasonable conversation even when disagreeing with someone else’s opinion. I am pleasantly surprised that no one else had replied to the comments but thought you should be aware of them in the World and time enough thread.

RorySmith @rorysmith

@devilishrobby

I was about to say something but I’d prefer a moderator to step in. Yes, very unlike the well behaved group here. One of the main reasons I chose to use this form.

Anonymous @

@rorysmith @devilishrobby

I agree! In my gut I wanted to shout back but the best thing to shut trollers and ‘bitchers’ down is saying absolutely nothing. That way, totally ignored, they go back under the bridge and starve -without affection or scraps of food.

Puro and Thane. (this is mainly Thane as Mum USED to say something ‘polite’ like “please don’t speak like that here” but on my other forums -years ago, I’d find ignoring them and switching off was the best thing to do. So, I taught mum something -pretty rare; she’s usually teaching me!).

@craig

^^^^^^ See above from @devilishrobby – the fuckwit police are needed.

@thane15

An alternative take of the seductive myth of “don’t deed the trolls“.

Anonymous @

@pedant

This is Thane -I’m off to a soccer game where I’m trolled constantly! but Mum and I read your Blog Post. It’s well worth more people reading it on this Forum and I completely agree. So, I’ve now done a 180?

🙂

Maybe! I think the trolls you refer to are the horrendous and nastiest pieces of work who shame religions, races, politics, Hillary Clinton and our female pollies in Australia; and also shame members of the LGBT community and are deliberately reckless in the way they spread their vileness.

But it’s a really hard thing to balance for me -and Mum? So, if there’s  nasty comment about that actress who, in winning an award, spoke about how Trump was rude to a disabled journalist, Mum WILL respond. And even though she found out about this speech and was one of the first to comment, she got lots of ‘notifications’ -I’m talking 2000 – where people were snidely picking on this “bitch actress and sl*t and how Trump was totally right about his concept of Hollywood” except that many posters were saying Mel Gibson was rolling his eyes at this actresses speech not realising, in worshipping Mel Gibson, that he was ALSO considered a Hollywood liberal by many people.

Here, though, Gibson who was once recognised as a Labour supporter has now gone not only pre- Vatican Catholic but full on far right Republican.

I won’t watch a Mel Gibson produced, directed movie unless it’s Lethal Weapon 1 and 2!

But I see what you mean. Absolutely. Thing is, if we have one troll here, (and he was doing that two weeks ago) is it better to ignore him here or try to shut him down, here,  the same way?

I agree there needs to be campaigns and major changes: look at the facebook stuff that is STILL there saying to kids: “I hope you DIE” and not being removed? That’s insane and to me says these companies don’t really give a sh*t about trolling or respecting individuality. Racial, religion and gender vilification laws are not absent in Australia but this is allegedly a global world now so we need global policies for real change.

Mum said about 3 weeks ago when she made me watch a Season 1 of West Wing that it was like Sorkin knew something? In it, Sam Seaborn says: “last century the world was concerned about….but this century and the next decade and more will be concerned about the social medium and the right to privacy and respect” and that was scripted in 1999!

Thane

@thane15

But it’s a really hard thing to balance for me -and Mum?

The threats of violence and rape are obvious and in the open.

The really tough problem is the low grade harassment of dissenting voices and the niggly disruption in the less obvious corners of internet discourse. This can be in the form of person digs, short and punctuation-free brain farts or longwinded rambles with no clear point other than to buff the ego of the poster.

They don’t go away and simply get more emboldened at lack of action. It is a coarsening of discourse that needs to be challenged at every turn. That does not mean that genuine, heartfelt anger needs to be suppressed (a full-on internet ding-dong can be great fun), but I have seen too many once-great places reduced to a cabal of circle-jerkers because of poor moderation, as reasonable people just lose interest. And then the trolls have won.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 705 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.