Website comments

Home Forums General Website comments

This topic contains 946 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 947 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Thanks.

Those little blighters are hard to spot when you’re editing!

@Shazzbot @craig

(ps: you might want to look at the multiple apostrophes …   )

Nice work! Suck in with praise, then dob him in to the apostrophe police!

PS I’ve got that sodding troll song stuck on my head now.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant @Shazzbot

That’s basically her modus operandi (which I just looked up in case I spelled it wrong).

@craig

Speak of universal praise for the redesign, I see my username still wraps  over there <<<<<

Harrumph.

Anonymous @

@craig -The recent changes really do make a difference.  The Home Page feels more ‘open’ somehow, less oppressive (although I’d never have described the old site look in that way).

PS:  you could’ve just said ‘M.O.’ and saved yourself the research hassle … 😆

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant It’s either that or your name overlaps your posts making bits of them a bit unreadable. Is up to you.

@Shazzbot You were just telling me to avoid Americanisms, now you’re telling me to use M.O.?

Anonymous @

@craig – really, today’s changes on the Home page look great, both in wide view and narrow (mobile device view).  I keep having to go back to the Home page and look at it some more; it feels tranquil somehow, and refreshing at the same time.

You can use Americanisms in your posts all you like.  😀  Just not in the site’s text please.  But I’m truly touched that you looked up the correct spelling for ‘modus operandi’ **.  😆

(** what was your university degree, again?  🙂   )

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@Shazzbot said:

>>You can use Americanisms in your posts all you like. 😀 Just not in the site’s text please.<<

I resemble that remark!

Anonymous @

OK, so @tardisblue, you can back me up on this …

If you saw the phrase ‘a lot more’ would you think an American said it, or a Brit?

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@craig

Popped by for a quick check for recent bonkers, news, etc. and fell in love with what you’d done to the place. Bravo.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot I’d spelled it correctly. It’s just that I’m scared of you. 😉

@tardisblue Many thanks. Glad you like it. 😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave Glad you like it too. It’s changed even more today (so I hope you still like it), and I’ve got further plans as I don’t feel it’s quite there yet. But it’s definitely getting close.

Now, I’m just about to pop open my evening’s bottle. (I won’t add a smiley).

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@Shazzbot, and you ask me a question after I’ve only had a cup and a half of cold, leftover coffee?

I dunno, my Scottish ancestors have gone off to join Kenneth MacAlpin and Rob Roy MacGregor in that great Highland dance in the sky. Many of my English ancestors qualify for the Sons of the American Revolution and the Daughters of the American Revolution, so they’re of little help. And the Irish ancestors were too busy avoiding The Troubles to give much guidance about the prevalence and composition of idioms.

I can’t say that I’ve heard or read a Brit saying “a lot more,” but I can’t claim to have been listening or reading attentively as most of my free time has been spent looking up words like “chuffed” and “gobstruck.”

For the sake of John Barrowman and all the fans in the US who are contributing a sizable amount to BBCWorldwide, I don’t see the harm in an occasional “American-lite” phrase here or there. Just as long as you continue to mind your “z”s and “u”s.

TardisBlue
    (who actually knew what gobstruck meant but found chuffed to be a crackingly brilliant way to separate the Brits from the Yanks)

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig

Indeed I do continue to admire the new look as it progresses in your talented hands. I note that you are going to “pop open” a bottle of wine. Does this mean that the screw-top wine bottle has not made it to the Sceptred Isle yet? It is a true advance in my book. I recall using its invention as the main thing that had made an appreciable difference to my “work-lifestyle balance” during an otherwise pointless human relations focus group run by an idiot Moderator (who insisted we reflect on the said work-lifestyle balance). How civilised I find retirement, in the knowledge that I do not have to attend any more “focus groups”.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

Oops

Thought I was in the wrong place for a minute 😎

I really like the pic of Matt, and I have to admit it works really well there, but am I allowed to say I miss the TARDIS notice, just a little bit? (had a nice generic feel of all the Doctors)

I also like the new, improved copyright notice (good idea). Small typo – “expressed” should be  “express” (which means specific (to each occasion) rather than just stated). Sorry if I’m catching pedantism – I blame @Shazzbot and @pedant 😉

PS If you want us to contribute to your red wine stash, just say – it obviously works wonders 😀

Anonymous @

@scaryb – I’m SO glad you brought up that ‘expressed’ in the footer because I was loath to p*** off our Emperor with yet another typo for him to fix.

See @craig?  I can hold my Editing Dalek tongue.  Amazing, but true.

And Scary – I had my reservations about a picture of Matt or indeed any Doctor.  I agree with you that the Tardis sign is quite nice.  My concern is that the Home Page will become static (well, we’ll have Matt and then Peter … and then … what?  Clara too?) and it would be nice if it were ‘refreshed’ occasionally.

I’d like to solicit @jimthefish‘s artistic talents to creating new artwork for the Home Page.  Monthly changes of Doctor / Doctor + Companion / Doctor + Foe etc would be simply fantastic.  Even better if it could be timed to coincide with episodes being aired.

Anonymous @

@craig and @Shazzbot — am more than happy to contribute a monthly piece of imagery for the front page if you want to go in that direction…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish and @Shazzbot

I’d had that idea myself. It was never supposed to be a home page image that would be static. It was just what I came up with today. I much prefer a dynamic home page.

So Jim, if you’re happy doing that, that would be great. And it would give the site a really individual feel.

@scaryb Change to footer made, and thanks for your contribution to the wording.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave

Cheers, in both senses of the word. I just use ‘pop open’ as a term of phrase. I can hardly remember the last time I had to reach for the corkscrew, probably because it happened a few bottles ago.

ScaryB @scaryb

If @jimthefish is up for it I think that’s a great idea.    Look forward to it.   Maybe others could contribute as well (in interests of democracy 🙂 Maybe by submitting suggestions to JtF? ) There’s a long time of nothing happening between Xmas and next Sept 🙁

Anonymous @

@scaryb  and all — certainly wouldn’t want to hog the artistic duties. More than happy for anyone else to contribute too. It would be much nicer for the variety and look of the site too….

WhoHar @whohar

@craig.

Bloody hell. I’m away for a few weeks and we have a new Doc, some recovered Troughton eps and, if all that wasn’t enough, a new look website. It looks really good, so well done you.

Mad busy with the usual detritus of life type stuff but will surely be back on this new look forum to post my usual blend of ill-informed comments and self-deprecating crap.

@craig

Or you could change the font size in bbp-author-name to 80% and see what happens *files finger nails*

End discrimination against the loquacious !

Anonymous @

On the subject of front page images, was pondering on the first one and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Had thought about quickly doing a Troughton-themed one in honour of the recent episode discoveries but then thought it might be better to focus on getting a Day of the Doctor stylee one done. But what should it be? Hurt Doctor? Ten and Eleven together? Or Rose and Clara? A Zygon?

janetteB @janetteb

Just to add to the dilemma  maybe a scene of the first Doctor in Totters yard or at the original console with Ian and Barbara?

As you are doing the art work I think the choice should ultimately be yours @jimthefish Whatever you have time for and would enjoy doing the most.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish – oh the resposibilities, LOL. Look forward to seeing whatever you produce. If it’s something for the 50th then it should really reference old and new – but maybe aim for that for November.

@craig Can we have a countdown clock? Pretty, pretty please…? (All the best Who-sites have them 😉 )

And did anyone else think a thread specifically for what people are doing on the anniversary  would be useful? ie somewhere that eg @whohar could have gone straight to for info re screening/broadcast; exchange of custard recipes, best sources for jelly babies etc

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

On the thread question I think I volunteered to do a blog to cover the 50th Anniversary, with updates and stuff. As info is just started to be released, I’ll think about starting it at the weekend, if enough firm information is availble.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb Don’t say I’m not good to you!

Anonymous @

@craig — Love the clock. The site is looking, quite frankly, awesome now…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish Thanks Jim, really appreciate it.

Timeloop @timeloop

Hi guys!

I was just looking for our forum on a tablet and just tipped in what I thought the URL was…. For a second there I thought I was in the wrong place On the interwebs but then I saw all the familiar threads and faces and I must say: wow! Looks absolutely beautiful. Before I realized I was at the right spot I wanted to suggest that countdown to the forum as well. Absolutely awesome Craig! Really just a great job, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Timeloop

P.S.: sorry if the format is wonky… The tablet would not provide the keyboard in the visual tab…

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@craig – Apologies for not feeding back sooner, but loving your work.  The site looks superb.  The new recent activity sidebar is great and the links at the top to the latest posts really handy – particularly on mobile.  The whole thing just looks really clean and tidy and is easy to use.

Just read that back and it sounds horribly sycophantic.  I’m impressed, but  I’ll try and think of something critical 🙂  In the meantime, hope you’re enjoying a well earned drink or two!

@craig – actually, 0.75em does it 😉

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

<Jumps up and down in timeywimey Yeti dance of joy>

thank you, in a lovely TARDIS blue too

All hail the Emperor!

🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift You did indeed suggest a blog, great idea. Not much info out yet, but it’s starting to trickle in

Anonymous @

@scaryb – the countdown clock was a great idea.

@craig – I agree with Scary, the Tardis Blue colour was a nice touch.

As @jimthefish says, it’s all looking pretty awesome … but Jim, I’m still looking forward to your amazing artwork.  It will be nice to highlight Forum members’ talents in this way.  — Obviously, in addition to the website design talents of our Emperor!  🙂

A modest proposal which does n0t involve eating children: set the “a: visited” colour to the same as the regular “a” colour.

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

@craig

Does the clock take into account the change to GMT on 27 October?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@steve-thorp I don’t think it does, but when the clocks change it will change with them (I think!). It isn’t exact anyway as the official time of broadcast has been set. I just guessed around 7:15pm.

@pedant I did consider that, and some of the links do have a:visited set to the same e.g. the names at the side and the latest boxes on the Home page. It would look better, however I thought I’d put usability over beauty in people’s posts and in the All Recent Activity box. At the moment, if someone posts 4 or 5 links you’ll know which ones you’ve already seen. Same with recent activity – you’ll know what you’ve clicked on already.

Anonymous @

@shazzbot — am pondering on something suitable even as we speak… But was thinking, @craig, if you wanted to use the artwork for the mock Unearthly Child cover in the meanwhile, that might be appropriate for the upcoming An Adventure in Time and Space…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant I did realise after I posted that there are still a few places that could still do with not changing the a:visited colour, like the Current Topics on the Home page. Have fixed them and will fix the others shortly, but I think for body content and All recent activity it’s still good to change it.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@osakahatter and @timeloop Thank you both very much. Change is always a bit worrying, but glad you think I’ve got it reasonably right.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish Sounds good, or maybe the Troughton sketch, which I really liked. Will see how they work. Might be a couple of days though. Have stuff to do. Parents are visiting this weekend!

Hudsey @hudsey

Loving your work @craig thanks!

Anonymous @

@craig — no worries at all. Just give me a shout if you need anything ….

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@craig, @scaryb, @shazzbot, Tardis blue is *always* a lovely choice. 🙂

@craig, you’re doing such a wonderful job of responding to people’s ideas and suggestions. ::: bowing down ::: all hail our emperor! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

@people, your great suggestions and feedback have been essential in the crafting of the new format and look of this forum. ::: standing to give y’all an ovation ::: Bravo! Brava! Bravissimo!

Jelly babies, celery and Jammie Dodgers all around!

TardisBlue

TardisBlue

Juniperfish @juniperfish

WoW!!! I swim off to a galaxy far, far away for a bit and when I return from my fishy migrations I find this!

The new look is amazing. I can’t believe we’ve grown from a madcap Grauniad spin-off to a titan of the Whoniverse (well a healthily growing minnow anyway).

Fantastic job @craig – really amazing labour of love.

Are you still managing hosting costs by yourself ok btw or is it time for a whip-round?

I am excited now that we are in 50th count-down mode!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@juniperfish Glad you like it. I thought about red and blue but…

As for hosting costs, you and your doppleganger can buy me a pint. But is that two pints or half a pint each 😕 ?

@craig @Shazzbot

Theories even more insane than what’s actually happening

Shouldn’t the above read:  “Theories even more bonkers than what’s actually happening”? I believe the term is “bonkers theorising”.

Also, can we pleas get target=”_blank” working in the forums?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@pedant – It’s a quote. From Rory, in The God Complex.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 947 total)

The topic ‘Website comments’ is closed to new replies.