Doctor Who News (2)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (2)

This topic contains 951 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 952 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

z

More birthday greetings…

z

wolfweed @wolfweed
    ScaryB @scaryb

The Day of the Fish Doctor – 10.05pm (GMT) tonight (Red Button I think)

Latest Tweets –

TheFishDr ‏@dayoftheFishDr 7h 22:05 GMT A telepathic field binding the whole human race together,all thinking the same thing at the same time. Just one thought..The FDR

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZqbngCIcAAyiJT.jpg:large

TheFishDr ‏@dayoftheFishDr 21 Nov ‘I’ve eaten possums anus on live television, it couldn’t be worse than that’ – Colin Baker. #FDR #FishDr

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    z
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Watch Matt give 1D the Vs!

wolfweed @wolfweed

A Doctor Who “superfan” has spent 10 months watching every available episode of the series in time for the show’s 50th anniversary.

RonPrice @ronprice

DR WHO AND ME

Part 1:

Last night ABC1 TV screened the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special “An Adventure in Space and Time,” immediately following the primetime screening of “The Day of the Doctor.”  It aired on Sunday November 24 at 8.45pm on ABC1 following “The Day of the Doctor” at 7:30pm. I watched “a few snippets.”

This historic special, which attracted many millions of viewers, stared David Bradley as William Hartnell; Jessica Raine as Verity Lambert; Brian Cox as Sydney Newman and Sacha Dhawan as Waris Hussein. It was written by Mark Gatiss, and executive produced by Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat and Caroline Skinner.

This special one-off drama travelled back in time to 1963 to see how the beloved “Doctor Who” was first brought to the screen.  Actor William Hartnell felt trapped by a succession of hard-man roles in his acting career. Wannabe producer Verity Lambert was frustrated by the TV industry’s glass ceiling limiting her creative energies and potential.  Both of them were to find unlikely hope and unexpected challenges in the form of a Saturday tea-time drama, time travel and monsters!  Allied with a team of brilliant people, they went on to create the longest running science fiction series ever, celebrating its 50th anniversary this evening.

Part 2:

I have never been ‘into’ the Doctor Who phenomenon, although occasionally since 1963, when it opened on BBC1 TV,  I have found myself watching one of the 800 episodes, and one of the several incarnations of this time-travelling chap, this Time-Lord, this doctor Who.  Back on 23 November 1963 I was 18 when the first episode was aired. I was in my first year of an arts degree in Ontario Canada, and it was the day after JFK was assassinated.  Since then, in the 50 years since 1963, I have studied and taught history.  I retired from FT teaching more than a decade ago in 1999 but,  if I was back in the classroom and teaching history,  I would certainly draw on some of the conceptual material from this most popular of sci-fi TV programs. I would also have found it useful when teaching literature and creative writing, as I did for decades.

Many students both now, and in the decades gone by, have a great deal of trouble making imaginative and creative connections with the major events of history as taught in school curricula across the planet.  As Henry Ford once said: “history is bunk”, and millions have found this to be the case.-Ron Price with thanks to “Doctor Who” ABC1 TV, 7:30 to 10:15 pm, 24/11/’13 and Wikipedia.

You1 faced a variety of foes while working to save civilisations, help ordinary people, and right wrongs.

The longest-running science fiction television show in the world, & the “most successful” of science fiction series for all time based on its over-all broadcast ratings, book-sales, as well as DVD, and iTunes traffic; the largest ever simulcast of a TV drama” with The Day of the Doctor last night.

Like some kind of background music popping-up in the last five decades of my life from my late teens to my late sixties turning millions on….even if I was only part of the audience on rare occasions as my life-narrative dealt with the return, the incarnation, of a type of Doctor which was, arguably, the most charismatic Person in a very different sense, and was also part of a fully routinized and institutionalized Force which may be the most precious Soul ever to have drawn breath on this planet: The Day of the Unifier of all the children of men at last with a power and an authority that has and would travel from the beginning that hath no beginning to the end that hath no end, eternal in the past, and eternal in the future, world without end, amen!

1 The Doctor, the Time-Lord and his several incarnations Ron Price

25/11/’13.

ScaryB @scaryb

:: waves hello to @ronprice::  (maybe @Shazzbot or another mod can sort out the formatting in your post which seems to have gone a bit loopy). Interesting post, from a slightly different perspective, thanks

ScaryB @scaryb

The numbers for Day of the Doctor are impressive –

Overnights of 10.2m, and a 38% audience share in its timeslot. Walloped the XFactor and will surely do the same to Strictly… when the timeshifted figs come in (Given that it’s still sitting rock solid at no 1 on iplayer this morning).   Even more impressive when you consider that a sizeable chunk of the usual TV audience was at the cinema!  (And that’s just the UK figs)

13,000 tweets in 1 minute on Saturday night – http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/133622/Doctor-Who-The-Day-Of-The-Doctor-Generates-13000-Tweets-In-One-Minute (with an interesting 60:40 female:male split!), and a total of almost half a million tweets were posted in relation to the show (presumably more that weren’t properly hashtagged)*

*This comment in no way endorses the habit of tweeting thro programmes – I’m with Strax on this!

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed – Great links as ever.

I am extremely impressed with Matt’s public appearances. He manages to project awareness that 1D are bandwagon jumping but can afford to be magnanimous.  Maybe he sneakily switched on the sonic to disrupt the broadcast.  His interview with Linda Lee is delightful – he turns it back on her, and asks her some questions instead. You can see the pressure sliding away from her when he does that. Note on Linda Lee – I feel just a bit uncomfortable about how hard they seem to be working her. Bring her to the convention by all means, but then they make her work for it. I’m sure she loves it, but she looks tired in the MS interview.  She’s only 5 FFS.  (Hope she doesn’t grow up hating the show).

ScaryB @scaryb

Absolutely stonking review in the Metro (which of course we love!) “Perfect Doctor Who”  And they do a lovely shout-out to RTD as well, for bringing it back in the first place.

thommck @thommck

@wolfweed That live link up with 1D at the after party was hilarious. Especially enjoyed Moffatt with his head in his hands. I think Matt is giving more of a “peace” sign, they are mates with each other in real life.

The record-breaking article mentions how the special was shipped out and translated into 15 different languages and nothing was leaked (I think)! That’s some well done bit of logistics there

wolfweed @wolfweed
    thommck @thommck

@jimthefish I’d say that was a spoiler, as I’ve read it and now feel spoilt. So others should avoid if they want to keep an intriguing surprise secret.

However, it seems like Moffatt is going around telling different journalists different things :S

Anonymous @

@thommck — duly moved. Sorry if you feel spoiled. Wouldn’t have considered it that spoilery myself. But you’re right, Moffat seems to be going around telling different things to different people on this particular topic. Maybe there’s a Zygon duplicate of him on the loose…

thommck @thommck

@jimthefish What spoiler? *tucks fob watch back in pocket* 😉

wolfweed @wolfweed
    thommck @thommck

The title and poster for the Christmas special is now released.
    You can see it here http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/11/26/doctor-who-2012-christmas-special-name-and-promo-pics-revealed/

Less spoilery than the teaser trailer but didn’t post in case people want to be completely oblivious.

Do you thing we need a thread for the xmas special or should we theorise on it elsewhere?

Anonymous @

@thommck – the caption says ‘Can you spot Peter Capaldi’s face?’  … I can’t!  Help!

Agreed that we could use a new topic for the Christmas special – will whip that up if I can before popping off to the playhouse to finish building that Tardis for Sleeping Beauty.  🙂

DickieGarvey @dickiegarvey

The Legacy game looks like it cold be fun will have to look into that

those posters look as dark as i was expecting @Shazzbot do you think that his face couyl dbe on the saint christopher on the waistcoat chains ??

ScaryB @scaryb

Lovely interview – when  Verity Lambert met RTD (a few years ago obv).  Some very interesting things to say about casting an older Doctor, haha

BRAINCHILD @brainchild

ATTENTION Y’ALL this could be big, or it could be nothing, but the theory is sound..DAVID CAPALDI COULD BE SET TO PLAY A NEWLY REGENERATED 10TH DOCTOR CARRYING DIRECTLY ON FROM JOHN HURT’S 9TH DOCTOR

wolfweed @wolfweed
    ScaryB @scaryb

Our favourite show continues to impress with the numbers for the 50th.

This time it’s in the USA where a special cinema screening on Monday (2 days after a record breaking broadcast on TV) was second only to the Hunger Games ($4.8m ).  (Saturday’s screening in the UK saw it ranking 3rd after the Hunger Games and Gravity).  Will be interesting to see the timeshifted numbers for the TV broadcast. Would be great of some of the cash from this and the merchandising could find its way back to the production team 😉

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/26/doctor-who-box-office/

@scaryb

Harrumph. RTD/ Verity interview already post by SOMEONE!

Honestly! Some people work is never appreciate 😉

(BTW, if anyone wants the Delia Derbyshire drama from Radio 4 I’ve got a rip of it)

ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant

::hangs head in shame at being in the wrong timestream when your earlier post went up. I’m obv following the tracks of your trails round the newsfeeds – but a few timehops behind you 🙁  We do have the same good taste though 🙂 ::

All hail your pedantic awesomeness!

::crosses fingers that’ll keep him happy and he won’t bring out the troll-basher::

Anonymous @

@scaryb – “crosses fingers that’ll keep him happy and he ( @pedant ) won’t bring out the troll-basher”

On the other hand, I’m very much hoping he’ll bring out the TROLL for our gif-ly delectation soon < stares meaningfully in pedant's general direction >

Hmmmph. It won’t animate as an avatar.

Troll patrol

Anonymous @

@pedant – Fantastic! Molto bene! And danke schön.

Did I tell you I was going to try to embed an axe in its head, complete with dripping blood (I have some spare red paint)? Except that I couldn’t fashion an axe small enough to be in proportion and still be sturdy enough. 🙁 I had a screw which I was going to drive into its forehead, but that sublimely peaceful grin put me off. 😀

@Shazzbot – I believe you may have mentioned it 😉

Anonymous @

Excellent work, @pedant. That troll is a vaguely creepy-assed thing. They should include it in Series 8….

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant Ha! You’re going to be rivalling @wolfweed soon for keyboard repair claims 🙂

(meant to say, loved your 13 for 13 list (even tho I missed some of the links!))

You mentioned “A LOST SHOE REFERENCE!” – What was that? I missed it (too busy squeeing over false trails of family relationships 🙂 (I have a certificate in squeeing now, don’t you know!)

wolfweed @wolfweed

ScaryB @scaryb

Linda Lee looks shattered in this 🙁

Sorry – but it’s the first thing that struck me compared with the bouncey kid in the first videos she did.

Magnetite @magnetite

I’m surprised that the often fickle IMDb has a 9.4 rating for TDotD – pleasantly surprised, that is!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2779318/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_2

@scaryb

When Susan is locked by by The Doctor, she has lost a shoe. Given my occasional theory that Clara is Susan’s mum I’ve said (can’t remember if here or on the Grain) to watch out for a lost shoe. She the exchange between Osgood and…er..Osgood as the negotiations kick off.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    badwolfgirl @badwolfgirl

Hi everyone, I’m new here and I’m not sure if I am posting in the right topic, but there’s one thing that has been troubling me for a few days now. Since Gallifrey is saved and, therefore, all 2.47 children, are Doctor’s children among those? Because we don’t know at which point in time they died (presuming it was during the time war) and is there a possibility they are still alive, somewhere on Gallifrey?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@badwolfgirl – yes, wrong forum. This one’s for news items (NOT spoilers, which have their own forum). You need to post questions about an episode in the forum for the appropriate episode.

Link for The Day of The Doctor forum. I’ve replied to you there.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Warning – this article contains part of the synopsis for The Time of the Doctor (not technically a spoiler now, but…)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25102377

Doctor Who (TDOTD) enters UK film top three…

z

http://laughingsquid.com/interactive-timeline-of-all-eleven-doctors-time-travels-in-doctor-who/
    z

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed @jimthefish @all McWho fans

Anyone interested in a Glasgow Dr Who convention next year, please complete the short survey/wishlist on here http://glasgowdoctorwho.com/ (They’d surely get Strax at least as a guest!)

PS Wolfweed – was that the simplified version of the Doctors’ timelines..?

@wolfweed

Crikey – I’ve had migraines that look like that.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

The BBC have a DW Advent Calendar on the official site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mj6k8/features/doctor-who-adventure-calendar-2013

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Apologies if someone has posted this already but it’s a rather nice interview with both Neil Gaiman and Terrence Dicks about the upcoming 50th.

I really liked hearing what Dicks had to say in particular as, like many here, I grew up devouring his TARGET novels:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/22/doctor_who_gaiman_dicks/

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@juniperfish

Thanks for that link to the interview. I hope you don’t mind, but I added it to the blog I did on target a while ago (crediting you of course). Nice to hear he’s more upbeat and less curmudgeounly than some of the old script editors (Bidmead comes to mind) on the new series. Always knew he had class. I hope I spoke for all of us young readers in my points about him.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 952 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (2)’ is closed to new replies.