General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

Here’s The Who performance A Quick one While He’s Away from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus

Arbutus @arbutus

In a belated happy birthday to Emperor @craig, I had to share this song from the hilarious Arrogant Worms. When paired with Lego, what’s not to love?  🙂

Whisht @whisht

“and…..[click] you’re back in the room!”

blimey, feels like ages since I was here!

Someone mentioned New Romantics and then forgot to post a link (naughty @fatmaninabox )

so here is the only New Romantic song that I can think of with a barely Who link.

🙂

Anonymous @

@whisht – Welcome back. Hope you enjoyed your hols.

Anonymous @

@whisht – I didn’t forget to post any New Romantic vids. I just didn’t want to inflict Duran Duran on everyone 😉

Here’s some Steve Strange instead 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

Welcome back from the world tour! Thanks for the postcard supplied on the Rose ‘n’ Crown thread.

I suppose we could recall K-9, and ask “Are Friends Electric”?

Whisht @whisht

aha! @fatmaninabox – you are a gentleman for not wanting to hurt our ears (and weirdly I almost went with Fade to Grey but was a bit weird with me ‘coming back’!)

and @phaseshift – indeed, another that I couldn’t think how to link (and there’s me thinking I was the most tenuous thread-finder here!!).

As for me holiday, it was both excellent and thought-provoking (especially Cambodia).

Apologies for sending a pic of me feet though (I rarely took my phone around, but it would’ve been worse sending a selfie of any other part of me!).

Arbutus @arbutus

@Scouttheairedale   My heart goes out to Triton’s family. I remember that Bach is popular in your house, so here is a piece of music that always comforts me and lifts my spirits: so simple, serene, and exquisite.

Arbutus @arbutus

Welcome back, @whisht! Glad to hear that the travels were illuminating as well as warming. I will be back later when I have thought of an appropriate piece of “welcome home” music!  🙂

Whisht @whisht

oh @arbutus, thanks but I don’t warrant anything. 🙂

When you mentioned coming ‘home’ I thought of “Going Home” from Local Hero (the Scottish contingent weighed heavily on my mind – and sense in terms of Time is allowed to be a bit timey-wimey here!).

But on hearing the first strains for the first time in years, I thought of Shenandoah.

I can’t find the original movie theme (@wolfweed / @fatmaninabox / @anyone-else!! please post if you can find) so have gone with this as its the only version I have.
    Not a ‘boys are back in town’ type celebration (cheers fatman!) but the usual tangential linkage from me (and not the posting of the annoying violinist that I came across while looking for the original!).

wolfweed @wolfweed
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

Look forward to hearing about the holiday, should you wish to talk about it.

“Tenuous” is my middle name. Actually, forget it typed that. @Phasetenuousshift doesn’t link to anything.

I think you asked a while ago for songs that inadvertently reminded you of Doctor Who. I had such an experience while you were away when I was half listening to a compilation of the beat combo “Placebo”. Just odd verses were filtering in, and the what I got lodged were two verses that are apart.

Sucker love, a box I choose.
    No other box I choose to use.

Followed by

All alone in space and time.
    There’s nothing here but what here’s mine
    Something borrowed,
    Something Blue.

And I thought – “They’re singing about the TARDIS! That’s Amy’s line!”. Checking I found they’d released this in ’99 – which means it’s all a bit timey wimey (naturally).

Here’s the Lyric version of the vid for evidential purposes.

Whisht @whisht

ah – thanks @wolfweed – actually, I did see that one, but was looking for an orchestral version from the movie (which may not exist! Maybe I’m misremembering the film! I’m not even sure if I’ve actually seen it!).

[btw can anyone else hum or whistle that theme without lapsing into Danny Boy?
    or is it just me? 😉 ].

And @phaseshift – I honestly can’t remember suggesting “songs that inadvertently reminded one of Doctor Who”, but it does sound like something I’d say! 🙂
    so, good spot on the Placebo!

Anonymous @

@phaseshift and @whisht  How can you , whi—sht (tryin’ to do that combination thing with the two vowels but it aint workin’!) forget asking about the three songs??

It was on your birthday and you wished for three songs –any songs- about anything at all, that came immediately to mind!  I think I had a pretend list…followed by a ‘real’ list and you, Whisht, hah, must have been a little tipsy to not remember that!!

Yes, “placebo”: ‘there’s nothing here; but what here’s mine’. Brilliant.

Kindest,  purofilion

Debs @debs

Hi everyone!
    I’m looking for some new British indie music! Any suggestion?
    Thank you!

Cheers!

Whisht @whisht

erm thanks @purofilion – but asking for three great songs is great (it was my brother’s idea so no credit to me!) but Phaseshift mentioned “songs which inadvertently reminded you of Doctor Who” which is different in a massively wonderful tangential way (so wonderful in fact that I daren’t take credit for it!!).

Honestly, songs which while they were on you thought “oooh… Who!”.

(and feel free to pronounce my name any way you can! 🙂 )

Whisht @whisht

@debs – you and me both!

and I hope you’re not expecting this old fogey to have any new indie music do you?????

🙂

Actually, knowing that I should get newer music and having asked for it myself here before, I tried looking at my Last.fm recommendadtions. Unfortunately nothing too new, but while listening to not-very-good-stuff I came across this.

Its not new. Its not big and its not clever*.

But by god did it make me giggle!

*and I’m not even sure if it was the music that I once mentioned to @faegrl but it is similar!

Whisht @whisht

oh no. There goes my evening.

jeezus.

I’m now listening to this FANTASTIC indie anthem.

What? No?? Well hell – you weren’t in Leeds around ’91!

ahem.

[sigh]

I blame @debs meself….

Debs @debs

@whisht crazy! Definitely crazy! And FANTASTIC , as you said!

I was actually looking for something like Brit Pop (my knowledges are quite small about it!), but I appreciate so much your try! Totally amazing! Now I have some research to do, starting from the ninja thing! 😛

Whisht @whisht

@debs – looking for BritPop?
    As the saying goes “ah, if you’re trying to get to there, I wouldn’t be starting from here

:¬)

In terms of BritPop there’s been a whole bunch of stuff happening recently so I assume there’s been an anniversary (god, was it 20 years ago today, that Sgt Albarn taught his band to play?).

Always good to start with Pulp, Blur, and avoid the pub-rock of Oasis*.

If its pub-rock you’re after, best to go back a bit and get something to make you feel good.

Like Dr Feelgood.
    More raw than your throat after sleeping a heavy night off on the beach.

Mind you, “Indie” covers a whole kettle of fish that I loved (Dinosaur Jr; Belle & Sebastien; Bjork; PJ Harvey; that list could go on and on and on so instead I’ll mention a band that came up as “Indie Rock” in my iTunes and are within the last 5 10 years. Bit of a naughty name, but very good)

and here they are live with the same song (linking for anyone who’s heard the album before. If you can make it beyond halfway its as epic as the recorded version!).

* that’s not IMO. That’s FACT.
    (that’s not an acronym, unless “Fucking Avoid Crap Tunes” is a phrase.)

:¬)

Anonymous @

@debs – I’ll second what @whisht says about Oasis. Ugh, I don’t think there’s a more over-rated band than them (though I do confess to liking Don’t Look Back In Anger).

On the Britpop side, there’s also the recently reformed (yay 🙂 ) Suede (pointless fact – Pointless co-presenter Richard Osman is bass player Mat Osman’s brother).

Whisht @whisht

nice one fatman!

Thinking about it, its hard to get a feeling of/ starting point for “indie” without thinking of this:

Full volume on the video and everything else its connected to.

Always hard to choose a single starting point, but that was the challenge from @debs and this was my answer.
    Tonight.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

What am I doing up?

@debs British indie? I’m with @whisht in that my taste is about 20 years old. But, yeah, check out Suede and Pulp. James were great, so were The Charlatans, The Stone Roses, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and Radiohead. I also have a soft spot for Feeder, especially the video for “Just A Day”. And if you like a bit more rock (from Ireland) check out Ash and Therapy?. About the newest thing I like that could be called “indie” is Frank Turner. A bit more folk, but who could resist this video, made at his Mum’s school.

Whisht @whisht

nice choon @craig and even nicer video!

ah @debs so innocently waving the music-catnip-question in front of the middle-aged guys!

thank you!

;¬)

FaeGrl @faegrl

@whisht – I like your ninja remix, it’s pretty cool. 🙂

I’ve been away into many different kinds of music, however I shall share a silly one. Although, I think it’s pretty impressive. My apologies if you guys have seen this one already:

I’m not really a Katy Perry fan, but I’m a fan of many of the artists featured: Nirvana, Queen, Micheal Jackson, ‘N Sync (a guilty pleasure of my teen years), Iron Maiden, Frank Sinatra, Metallica, Pavarotti, The Doors (whoo!), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Boys II Men (teen years), Type O Negative, and John Mayer. This is a perfect example that it’s not always the lyrics or musical notes that makes a good song, it’s the style in which it’s presented. 😉

Anonymous @

@debs – Another band worth checking out is Blyth Power. I’ve posted a few of theirs before so just do a search.

You get four genres for the price of one as they’re a folk/indie/punk/pub rock fusion – similar to Chumbawamba but not as angry. And to indicate this, here’s a jaunty tune about the poll tax riots 🙂

And one about the War Of The Roses

Anonymous @

@debs – And how could I forget Ocean Colour Scene

@faegrl That was fun.

Whisht @whisht

“My apologies if you guys have seen this one already”

@faegrl – thanks for the thoughtfulness, but if I asked “hands up anyone who’d seen that already” my guess is fewer than that track deserves!

Thanks for sharing, that was fun!

And if one style is good, then 20 styles are 20xgood – right?

😉

Really enjoy your posts, so hope you don’t disappear for too long!

Arbutus @arbutus

Okay, for @whisht‘s welcome home, all I could come up with was this perennially popular (here, at least) party song by Spirit of the West. (I’m sure that this doesn’t apply to your holiday!  🙂 )

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht   I’d forgotten all about Flock of Seagulls, so thanks for that. And I should add, to you and @fatmaninabox (and others on here as well) that I am always impressed by the way in which music that I remember quite well belongs to genres that I had never heard of. I don’t remember ever discussing genre until disco came along, and even then it was mostly “disco” and “not-disco”. (Gary Numan was definitely “not-disco”.) I never heard punk (although I had heard of punk) until I was out of school and listening to university radio. Nowadays, I am totally at sea regarding which bands are indie, which bands are alt, and so on and on!

@whisht, your hilarious Ninja Music video reminded me of this song. I’m not normally big on hip hop, but it has a desperately catchy refrain, and I love the message.

Debs @debs

@whisht I’m waving it proudly, if that is the result! 😉

Oh-Oh-Oh . I should make questions more frequently, I guess!

Great Job @craig @fatmaninabox @whisht (still I’m not forgetting you for the ninja thing: it’s stuck in my mind!)

@craig you definetely got my style! That’s what I was looking for.

Seems like I can smell England from here!

I’m so impressed! You really blew my mind with all that great stuff!

There goes my evening.

Definitely!

Whisht @whisht

Hi @arbutus – great song! (link here if like me in the UK you get a “not allowed in your region” – I’m assuming its the same song!)

For me, I probably wouldn’t call it hip hop, but then that just goes to show the ludicrousness of categorisation (and I was/am woefully guilty of snobbery in music and categorisation!! More fool me!). But I’m trying to be like you and ignore classifications and just simply enjoy music!

And I’ve no idea if the track is on-message (ie listen to the inner-ninja!). I don’t have kids, so haven’t been through the “hit the bully hard in the nose without warning” conversation – except I s’pose as a kid with my dad [though he never quite said it in that way…. I guess…. hmm…]

Actually I’ll defer advice on all this to parents and classifiers!

🙂

Whisht @whisht

and @arbutus – I’m shocked!

Do you think of me as someone with a thirst?

Funnily enough, I tend to drink far less on holiday than I do at home!

But you’ll be happy(?) to know I’ve put that right since getting back.

Anyway – thanks for the jig – again funnily enough I listen to almost every other ‘folk’ music (whether Indian/Asian/African) than Irish, but its always good to hear again!

Whisht @whisht

actually @arbutus (and Debs for that matter – and anyone else!) I’m now pondering “what is Indie?”
    At the time (80’s/90’s) it meant ‘not signed to a major label’ but that covered a wealth of oddities, not just geetar bands.

So were guitar bands more Indie? and if so were they merely remnants of Post-Punk with their kitchen sink lyrics and ‘we’ll not have guitar solos’? (hence my Wedding Present link above).

But then I cogitate and vacillate and remonstrate (with myself) and wonder and electronic music and then just remember I really enjoyed moshing at Stomp in Leeds to Nirvana/ Dinosaur Junior/ Weddoes/ etc and stroking my chin at League of Crafty Guitarists, and having self-satisfied-pride with “my” bands like Hugo Largo, Durutti Column and feeling a constantly ear-opening-inviting beauty with Penguin Cafe Orchestra (though I’ll play this one at my wedding or funeral) and thinking…

… that I actually hope they just list the buggers alphabetically when I go shopping for the CDs, as I haven’t an effing clue which category-rack to look in otherwise!

😉

Anonymous @

All this talk and of classics/INDIE/not-Indie brings me to ‘afraid of losing their ground….’ 8 Miles High

You may remember this being used in The Simpsons

Next here’s the closing theme from the BBC adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@debs

Oh – late to the party, although lots of good recommendations from others (yes! to a mention of Therapy? by @craig). If you’re interested in the Britpop thing specifically, there was a weird BBC “showcase” called Britpop Now which featured Albarn introduce most of the common faces associated with it. This google search will take you to individual performances.

I share a lot of reservations about it with others. It was presented as quite an insular Nationalistic thing, almost defining itself against that foreign interloper, Grunge. A lot of it also came across like a compilation of tributes to previous bands in a really obvious way. The best thing about it (in my opinion) was seeing Pulp getting some success after a decade, and Jarvis Cocker specifically becoming the most unlikely sex symbol in history.

As no-one has mentioned them, I’ll give a nod to a more recent band (half a decade is yesterday to me) from Sheffield, the Artic Monkeys. A less obvious and frenetic updating of styles like punk and Ska with some astute and playful lyrics. I genuinely love “A Certain Romance”.

Cause over there there’s broken bones
    There’s only music, so that there’s new ringtones
    And it doesn’t take no Sherlock Holmes
    To see it’s a little different around here

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

Apologies if I misattributed a request – I could of sworn it was you that posed that question. Could be that I’m going senile, of course.

The elusive definition of “Indie”! When I was a University Student 88-91 the accepted definition seemed to be.

Have the band recorded a Peel Session?
    Has John Peel played a record by them – ever?

If the answer was “Yes” to either question – they were an official “Indie” Band. 😉

Just going back to the Brit-pop thing did anyone else laugh like an idiot at the “Indie Club” sketch on The Fast Show? It really did highlight the astonishing hyperbole that music commentators were attributing to some really bland music.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@thekrynoidman

The closing credit music on “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy” by Geoffrey Burgon has to be one of the most perfect pieces of music for television ever.

And Burgon did the music for “The Terror of the Zygons” as well!

Methinks it is time to hop over to Amazon for a bit of shopping…

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht    Do you think of me as someone with a thirst?   Well, aren’t we all?  🙂

Yes, that is the same song. The video plays up the physical aspect of the ninja/bullying thing, but I tend to view the song generally as more about inner strength, which is a great message for kids. Our son is 14, and we have luckily not had to deal with much in the way of bullying, but the whole business of being true to yourself is just so hard for kids. (I’m guessing that most of us on here can relate to that!)

I do find myself mostly ignoring categorization of music, since I no longer know what most of them actually mean! I do think of “indie” in the eighties sense of “independent”, but that of course has less meaning in these internet days, when more and more groups are going their own way quite successfully. My son (who is my window to the world of pop music) likes a lot of songs by hip-hop artists, that, like “Inner Ninja”, also contain some great tunes. (My son isn’t big on pure rap music, because he doesn’t like it if he can’t sing it, a view I share!)

Your Wedding Present link is a great example of this categorical confusion. I would have called it punk (not knowing any better! 🙂 ).

By the way, I’m going to listen to every one of your links, when I have a few minutes of peace. I can’t keep up with this thread at the moment!

@blenkinsopthebrave
    Geoffrey Burgon also did the music for Seeds of Doom and Life of Brian.

Arbutus @arbutus

So much great music on here right now, thanks everyone! Just a few quick cheers as I work my way through it all:

@fatmaninabox, I really liked the Suede track, and @craig, the Frank Turner song is wonderful, and the video even more so. It pushes all my buttons: roots music fan, former music teacher, zero interest in acting my (relatively advanced) age, and so on.

@faegrl   The Ten Second Songs video is just brilliant. I didn’t know all of the artists represented, but most of them, and what I recognized was just about flawless. The only one that didn’t ring true for me was the Pavarotti, because I think it’s pretty hard to imitate a tenor when you aren’t one! But really, a great explanation for why we listen to cover tunes, and how different artists can pull something completely different out of the same song. (Hey, I think there’s a Doctor metaphor in there somewhere!)

FaeGrl @faegrl

@Whihst – Ah, I like to apologies if I repost things, because it’s due to my laziness of not browsing first to see if someone else have posted it before me. lol. As for the track gaining views that it deserves, it was an internet hit, generating over a million views within the first days of being posted. The last I’ve seen, it’s now past three million, which is impressive for such a song. I just felt like sharing it with you guys as well, but wasn’t sure if you’ve seen it or not already. And thanks again for your thoughtful welcome back! I’ll try not to disappear too much, it’s a bad habit of mine with forums. 😉

@arbutus – Speaking of cover tunes, I completely agree with you on that. There’s one song that was originally done by the metal band named “Nine Inch Nails” but was covered by the country singer Johnny Cash before he died. I like the cover of this song a lot better and the original band of the song has claimed they will no longer perform the song because Mr. Cash did such a good job on it, better than they could give it justice. This is the song:

Debs @debs

@phaseshift

That’s what google should be about! ! I guess I’ll spend my weekend on that !

Thanks! 😉

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave and @thekrynoidman I’m amazed at what I find here. Burgon’s music was wonderful and his trumpet was really great -he didn’t like to think so. In addition to Who and Tinker Tailor, he did Brideshead and Longitude (a truly fantastic but little known series -the book is also utterly fabulous).  You other guys -with your knowledge of Indie and God knows what else, leave me to shame….head nodding down and down…. 🙂  Kindest, purofilion

Anonymous @

Anonymous @

for you lovers of Burgon’s music; I know this is considered ‘meh’ to some. But for me, a classic.  Brings tears. Has a minimalist style to it which reminds me of Reichs and others in that category.  Happy days. Kindest, puro

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@purofilion (and all other Who Enthusiasts)

I came across this quote by Burgon about his time writing music on Doctor Who:

Being asked to write music for Doctor Who (1963) came out of the blue and as a complete surprise. I had previously written only two scores for television, but it was the second of these that attracted director Douglas Camfield. It was a ghost story, the music of which was scored for a small and unusual group of instruments, plus two countertenors. The supernatural quality of the score appealed to Douglas, and I imagine it was the small number of musicians that appealed to the producer, because the Doctor Who (1963) budget ran to just four players, plus myself on whatever I could play, and access to the Radiophonic Workshop. I used the latter quite sparingly, mostly putting selected instruments through a ring modulator to make them sound quite unlike the original, thereby creating a bigger sounding group than I actually had. It was a great experience for an emerging composer, and I am terribly gratified to have been part of such a legendary television phenomenon.

For anyone who is not familiar with Burgon’s work as a composer of sublime and beautiful choral music, you can listen to it here:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67567

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@thekrynoidman @blenkinsopthebrave @purofilion

Many thanks for the Burgon links. I think you may have provided the soundtrack to my Bank Holiday. 😀

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@faegrl

Congratulations on your book, and great choice with Mr. Cash and “Hurt”. I don’t know whether you saw the use of it in DW Confidential (who had some great choices in music BTW) but it was in the episode for “The Almost People” in Series 6.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.