General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

And this one’s especially for @juniperfish (Irish /French singer Camille singing Cave (tho she really needs to be seen live)). Happy hogmanay.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb Van Morrison is a truly lovely way to see out the year.

My somewhat darker contribution (but is seems appropriate both for this season’s and Who’s present regeneration theme of death and rebirth) is John Grant’s “Pale Green Ghosts”. Also, the intro bars sound like a version of the Who music…

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish

Pale Green Ghosts – very apt, thanks for posting 🙂

How about Talking Heads for a River tribute…? 😥

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb Nice 🙂

I think River would have this to say:

Arbutus @arbutus

Happy birthday, DWF! Here’s a birthday wish for all of you courtesy of Neil Young and his friends (and a wish for the Doctor on the occasion of his regeneration).

Arbutus @arbutus

Oops, also meant to say:    @scaryb  Love it, both the song and its DW reference. And @juniperfish, yes indeed, that is brilliant.   🙂

Whisht @whisht

Must admit I hadn’t realised it was our birthday (who’d a thought that we all shared the same birthday??!)

There really is only ONE song suitable for New Year’s Eve and a birthday celebration.

Whisht @whisht

@scaryb and @juniperfish – thanks sooo much for Camille and John Grant. I don’t know them well but must change that now tout suite!

@arbutus – not heard that one before, but love a bit of Young (and those other guys!)

😉

Whisht @whisht

ok – last post(ing) for a bit.

For Time of the Doctor (and Matt Smith), I think this makes a fitting epitaph.

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht      Neil Young performed that song solo at the Closing Ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympics; as he finished, the cauldron was extinguished. Not being any kind of big Olympics booster, my tears definitely surprised me. The power of music, certainly.

Lovely, lovely George Harrison song. When I was young(er), Lennon was my favourite Beatle. While I still love Lennon’s music, my admiration for Harrison has grown over the years. With the passing of time, I have come to appreciate gentleness and joy at least as much as irony and wit.

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish – perfect choice for River

@arbutus Perfect bit of CSN&Y

@whisht Thanks for starting and keeping this thread going. Harrison was great and Altered Images always makes me smile. Reminded me of this –

Which looks like a great way to bring in the new year

A toast also to @htpbdet (will always think about you now, when looking at the stars)

Whisht @whisht

Hi everyone – I was going to welcome the new year with something obvious, but on reflection thought that the lyrics of this give a sense of hope more than U2.

Hope your phone is on the hook, and that 2014 is full of love for you and yours.

Whisht @whisht

btw – may I just say thanks to @phaseshift (and @craig et al) for taking a silly little suggestion and creating this thread?

I’m hoping its given people some fun and ability to share something (especially if they’ve nothing quite bonkers enough to say!).

I don’t do resolutions, but this year I will try and post some music less than five years old.

🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

You are currently on hold. Please hold the line for 9 months or so. Enjoy this music on a loop ’til we get back to you…

LizS @lizs

thought you might like to know that there is a Murray Gold world premiere featuring Crouch end Festival Chorus who have sung on many Doctor Who shows. It’s at the Barbican on Saturday 18th January. More info here. http://www.cefc.org.uk/concert-calendar/gold-bedford-and-fripp/
    Or
    http://Www.barbican.org.uk

Whisht @whisht

Well, obviously I should really try getting some more episode-related pieces of music on here but I thought of a different list.

Companions.

Admittedly I only have two that spring to mind, but I’m sure others will spring to mind (and if not mine then anyone else!)

;¬)

So first up is Amy Pond. And as @shazzbot would never forgive me for ignoring lyrics, there’s some in here that raise a smile…

yep, its:

Tomorrow (or when I next remember) I have a cracker for Rory.

😉

nicelyuseless @nicelyuseless

@whisht What a beautiful song. And the lyrics! Is Mr. Rice a Whovian…?

I have never heard any of his work before, as far as I know. I will definitely investigate further. Thanks for posting this!

Whisht @whisht

Hi @nicelyuseless – really glad you liked it (and that it was new to you!).

The album “O” is really lovely and quite a few songs from it are in this concert recording. The final song (i think) is Eskimo which is amazing (on the album it has an opera singer which is very powerful).

Spurred on by finding this I had a bit of a session the other night of finding more about Lisa Hannigan who sings on it with him. Amazing singer!! I’m now a tiny bit in love. Her voice live seems even better than on album recordings. Whoever’s doing her live mixing is fantastic!

Hope you like the coupla links here!

🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht

Oh my goodness, thank you for this. I listened to some of the concert link as well as your original “Amy” song; just gorgeous. Like @nicelyuseless, I didn’t know the artist at all, but I won’t forget him again.

Talking about music for companions sent me off on another thought. I thought of this song in connection with the Doctor’s final parting from Amy and Rory. On reflection, I realized that it also reminded me of the scene in The Wedding of River Song, when news of the Brigadier’s death reaches the Doctor. One or both of these events made him realize that, while he can move around in other people’s time lines, he can’t really turn the clock back, or bring them back once they are gone. As River says, you wouldn’t want to rewrite time, because of the shared history that is lost. It must have been a terrible realization for the “invincible” time traveler who boasted to Dorium, that time had “never laid a glove” on him. Does anyone else remember this lovely, bittersweet song from long, long ago?

Whisht @whisht

Hi @arbutus – glad you liked Rice and hope you check out Lisa (did I mention I’m a bit smitten with her at present? 🙂 ).

[sigh]

Thanks for the Alan Parsons – I’ll admit I don’t know much about him/them, so always glad to have a listen and see if I like it.

and music for themes such as ‘Time’ (in sense of “never laid a glove on me”…) is interesting (as most songs that spring to mind like Floyd and Waits are about Time definitely hitting!), so I’ll see what comes to mind!

Whisht @whisht

and something a bit more toe-tappy for Rory.

I loved Rory – though the character wasn’t always given much (be Companion’s true-love as a sidekick without many lines) what he gave it with or without lines was a complete believability and humour.

And – though a fantastic song – this is completely and utterly unfair as a tune for him and the lyrics have nothing to do with his character other than… a cheap laugh.

Hey ho – “bite me” as the kidz* say.

* does anyone actually still say that? I’ve no idea but then again, I didn’t say when they were kids when they used to say it

Whisht @whisht

ok – this is puerile.

However its a Friday night, and my mind got wandering and….

here’s what I think Meta-Crisis 10nant played as Rose walked slowly through the Tardis doors…

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht

The words “puerile”, “Marvin Gaye” and “Let’s Get it on” should never be seen in the same sentence!  Any excuse to post a link to Marvin is always welcome 😉

Think I need a lie down after that.

Melted

<whew! fans face>

Whisht @whisht

😉 @scaryb – I think the words “Marvin Gaye”, “Let’s Get it On” and “lie down” are probably often in the same sentence…

[ahem]

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht  @scaryb    Ha!  😆

Well done on the Kinks link, I have a fondness for that song. Now you will laugh, because of the song that I had in mind to post last week (before I was sidelined by a completely uncalled for cold). For some reason, I have always associated this with David Tennant’s doctor, probably because he always seemed so melancholy toward the end of his incarnation, and I always wanted to sing this to him.

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht @cedarbranchtardis @purofilion

That sheet music is definitely someone’s piano arrangement of the theme, not exactly what was played. I found this link with the actual theme, because I knew that I had a lot of versions bouncing around in my memory.

To me it sounds more like the rubato in a Chopin piano piece, where the accompaniment stays steady and the right hand part speeds up and slows down. To my ear, the bass part is quite steady and rhythmic, and the synth part on top comes in slightly ahead of the beat a lot of the time. I’m not sure if that is the actual performance or a function of the sound of the synthesizer, not having a clear “attack” point at the beginning of notes. But it is very cool!

Anonymous @

Yeah thanks @arbutus.  OK. Stupid me. I’m sure when I listen to the very first episode of Dr Who that the ‘da da dum’ (really great musical references on my behalf there ! 🙂 ) is syncopated or slightly off -seems that I’m imagining that or else the DVD sound track is spliced weirdly. Possibly, my DVD player  is just stuffed!  But the rubato concept is much more elegant. Now, everything is synthesised to the greatest degree and we lose the ‘feeling’.

I love The Kinks and that particular track: makes me misty. As for The Alan Parsons Project, of course!

We need some Major Tom by Mr Bowie here.  Kindest, purofilion

Arbutus @arbutus

For @purofilion, our Canadian space superhero, Chris Hadfield, former commander of the International Space Station:

Arbutus @arbutus

And @purofilion, not stupid at all. I listened to that music twice, tapping the table like a metronome to make sure that I was right about the bass line being steady. It’s a very “timey-wimey” piece of music!  😀

Off to bed now, woozily full of cheese and and a very nice British Columbian merlot. Sweet dreams!

Whisht @whisht

Thanks @arbutus and @Purofilion – really interesting (and I now have to look up ‘rubato’ and listen to some Chopin!).

btw, the version you linked to is slightly different to this one which is the original (apparently).
    There’s probably not much difference (there’s effects and some overdubs on the one above), but it just may be different enough for sharper ears than mine (puro?) to mean that you’re not going mad!

And incredibly no synths were used in the original. All tones etc recorded and looped on tape and spliced together by hand! Delia really was an artist. The sheet music is (I think) the original from the composer – that piano arrangement is what Delia worked from. And she made such an original take on it that Ron Grainer didn’t recognise it when he first heard it and wanted her to get joint credit.

Whisht @whisht

and thanks for the Kinks – not one I’d heard before and it made me smile (which I need as I’ve also got a nasty cold!).

More Lemsip!

Anonymous @

@arbutus @whisht  whoo-hoo hoping Arbutus is better (from that dratted cold) & that Whisht has a hot toddy nearby too!  What a terrific recording -screen misty  -or is that me?? Kindest to you;  purofilion

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht     I’m so sorry you have a cold. Drink tea. Lots of tea. Lemon is nice (but I will go for lemon at any excuse!). Thanks, @purofilion, I am almost completely better now. Still a mezzo rather than the soprano I was born, but no longer an alto!

I listened to both of those versions, and for some reason I thought that the other one was the “original”, but not sure if it was adapted at all during the early years? I don’t remember those early episodes as well as later ones. In any case, I will have to listen to them both again and compare them.

I used the word “synthesizer” without even thinking, but in 1963 it wouldn’t have been what we think of today when we hear that word. I don’t think modern synthesizers were readily available yet. But it was a trend in mid-century classical composition for composers to use tape in different ways, to artificially alter, process, or loop recorded sound. They used various tools such as oscillators, and techniques such as speeding and slowing of tape, and playing tape backward, and so on. It was called “musique concrète”, and it was a very big deal in the fifties. It was hugely influential in later German pop music, which went on to influence disco. (Now there would be a term paper title: From Karl Stockhausen to Donner Summer!) ‘Scuse the lecture, but I can go on and on about these connections between different genres of music. I love this stuff!

I didn’t know anything about Derbyshire beyond her BBC connection, but I have now read that she majored in medieval and modern music history (my field, medieval not modern!) and worked extensively in musique concrète and electronic music throughout the sixties. Fascinating as you say that she created that theme from that piece of sheet music. Clearly much more gifted than she was given credit for!

Whisht @whisht

Hi Arbutus – more than happy to chat about any and all of that (though maybe, just maybe, people here may tire of one informed person talking to a numpty like me!).

This site by Mark Ayres seems to be an accurate account of the history of the theme.

oh, and you may laugh but the first time I heard Kraftwerk was on a BBC science programme called Tomorrow’s World (i was a 4 it seems!). I was absolutely captivated, but it didn’t occur to me that I could actualy listen to this music!

Thankfully my brother bought Autobahn as a tape and it was my music-to-read-sci-fi-to for years!

🙂

Anonymous @

did someone say Kraftwerk????  @arbutus and @whisht  Who-hoo. I have an interview, when they were in the States and Florian -who never speaks, is, in fact, speaking!  I’m sure it’s on youtube. The first 2 mins is not so clear but it’s over an hour long and really interesting. They were/are very clever.

kindest

purofilion

Whisht @whisht

Hi @purofilion – that interview sounds interesting (but a tad hard to find on YT just based on your tantalising clues!).

Something I noticed is on again tomorrow night on UK TV (and so a bit irrelevant to so many of the people here!) is the LCD Soundsystem concert film
    Shut up and Play the Hits – Wednesday Film 4 1.20am.

Although vaguely aware of them, I got inspired to listen to LCD by our esteemed Emperor @craig on this very thread – really enjoyed the film!

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht

Thanks for that Mark Ayres link, what a fabulous article. I hadn’t realized how many tiny variations were made on that music, especially since I only ever saw most of those early episodes once, and am dependent on my memory for details such as theme music.

Regarding Kraftwerk, weren’t you cutting edge? I didn’t know about them until well into adulthood. I wish that more musicologists were interested in these connections between art music and pop music, because it fascinates me, but they do seem to always lean one way or the other.

I hadn’t heard of LCD Soundwork, so I checked them out on Youtube. Catchy music, and very interesting videos, I thought.

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht @purofilion

By the way, isn’t YouTube fabulous? I love it that we can find all these pop culture memories from years gone by and revisit them. I share stuff with my son that way all the time, and it’s really wonderful that all of this stuff survives to be passed around.

I know that some people of my generation are down on YouTube and the whole contemporary music-sharing world, but I just love it. I see so much more individuality in pop music today than existed thirty years ago, because there’s no filter between the young people creating it and their potential audience. I tried explaining to my son that when I was young, you almost never heard a pop band with a tuba player (for instance), or a banjo or dulcimer, or a cello. All things that I have encountered in the past few years. I love it that musicians can make the kind of music that they want to make, and the only thing that dictates their survival, is whether real people (as opposed to music industry execs) like it. All for the best, in my view!

Anonymous @

@whisht   @arbutus I know what you mean about the musicologists. Whilst the PhD was on conducting (eerp) the MFA (Music) was on the connections between the ‘new’ music (in the 90s it was ‘new’, see 🙂 ) as composed by Bowie and the cross over with classical. I drew on some ‘interference’ between this and other experimental work by Kraftwerk and others -even the minimalists like Cage (much earlier obviously) but also Reichs.  And Kraftwerk  who were essentially minimalists using the ‘music of the road’ to push/pull their output. I know we have a great band in Australia, Topology, who continue to do similar exhibits. I recall a concert of theirs, years ago, which used the stills and moving pictures of JFK  as a backdrop to their new music. Kindest, purofilion. Off to work I go shortly. Oh Noooooo. 🙁

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion   Good for you on that MFA topic, I don’t think I could have gotten away with that on my MA, there was not much sympathy for non art music in my department. I went with medieval, for which there was sympathy, but little actual knowledge within our faculty, so I pretty much did what I wanted in that area, which proved to be Latin songs from 12th century Paris, lots of historical background info, and pretty much inventing my own form of musical analysis. It was lots of fun, and no one was the boss of me! Ha!

I hope things don’t become ugly for you today. Just breathe. We’ll be here when you come back.  🙂

Whisht @whisht

@purofilion and @arbutus

Please feel very very free to chat about any and all of that. I’m no mod but I won’t stop you!

😉

I’ve not studied music in any form, and I know that the below isn’t strictly minimal(?) or medieval, but emotionally it seems to resonate with me in a similar way. Happy to be told otherwise!

And just to emphasise how this couldn’t possibly be thought of as crow-barring a wonderful piece of music onto a Who forum [ahem] here is another in the series of “choons inspired by Companions”.

Yes, this time its Jamie McCrimmon, the Highlander.

(I’ve deliberately chosen this version – not for the slightly odd photos, but for the singer as this was the first version I heard and its how I ‘expect’ it. A possibly more known version is by Else Torp).

Hope this is a nice way to return after work Puro!

;¬)

Whisht @whisht

well – Congratulations Matt Smith! for “Best Drama Performance”.

Now, I’ve kinda shot my bolt with this choon as its absolutely delicious.

If Who wins anything else then I’m out of options (and any smart wag with a Cliff Richards link will be exterminated!)

🙂

Whisht @whisht

bugger – Who won Best Drama!

[grrrrrrr…. also I now realise I have loads of tunes I could’ve used for Matt…..]

(this may take a while…)

Anonymous @

@whisht  thank you for those great musical excerpts: the wonderful jazz piano/boogey in the bass and the shiny brass was superb. It eased me into work alright:  actually, due to heat wave and the Crohns Disease I have, I ended up having some kind of weird heatstroke which meant my work had to call an ambulance! I had my boss on one side cracking ‘musical’ jokes whilst other staff kept prodding me: “don’t fall asleep -you might die!” type of thing. Quite amusing, really, but here’s this. My bag fell on the ambulance floor and out popped several DVDs. What were they? You betcha, A Doctor Who with D. Tennant: The Waters of Mars. The paramedic knew it!  Whoo -hoo, the Doctor has more admirers every day. Kindest to you, purofilion

Anonymous @

sorry @whisht the first was Arvo Part??  You’re familiar?  Fantastic compositions and whilst not strictly part of the minimalism culture, it is very evocative of that strain of musical collaboration  -extremely meditative also. Beautiful

Kindest, puro

Whisht @whisht

Hi @purofilion – really sorry to hear about you having to get an ambulance! Hope you’re feeling a bit better today (going back into work?).

A friend of mine suffered from Crohn’s several years ago and was quite debilitated. Was laid up for months and lost a lot of weight (about 6 stone). He’s put it all back on now to his ‘normal’ overweight self and suffers far far less. But you have my sympathies – hope treatment has improved since he had his major attack several years ago!

Whisht @whisht

@purofilion In terms of the music – I actually first came across Oliver Nelson as an arranger (I’m one of those sad buggers who reads liner notes!).

It was on this amazing Jimmy Smith track as well as Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf (a version I can’t find on YT!) both on a cheap ‘best of’. As you say the shiny brass is just so clear as well as the driving percussion.

His work on Jimmy Smith’s Peter and the Wolf is also incredible (as is Smith), though easier for me than friends of mine who came to the album with ‘baggage’ (they knew it as a “kid’s piece” to teach Classical music – I grew up without any classical music and in fact its still my blind spot, I only seem to make time for modern classical).

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht, you have definitely been pushing all my buttons!  🙂   I believe that your Arvo Pärt link, although it doesn’t list details, is the same recording as the one that we have, with countertenor David James. Beautiful choice for Jamie! As @purofilion says, Pärt definitely has minimalist connections, and as he was a student of medieval music, very much connected to the sound world of early polyphony as well. A big proponent of his music has been the Hilliard Ensemble, whose recordings of medieval and renaissance music are really divine.

On the jazz side of things, I love Jimmy Smith. Back in my rock band days, I played the Hammond B3, in an era when everyone wanted synthesizers, so the gigs were not easily found and I ended up back in school studying the harpsichord, among other things!  Oh, the paths our lives follow!  🙂  Your Oliver Nelson track was great. Speaking of arrangers, I was introduced to Dave Grusin years ago by a friend, and absolutely love his clever arrangements and cool piano playing. Here is my favourite track of his, off of a recording of Henry Mancini arrangements. It makes me smile every time I listen to it, it’s just so much fun and flawlessly performed.

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion     I’m so sorry about your hospital visit, not an auspicious beginning. But do we need to make a new rule to go along with the one about “always put on clean underwear in case you get in an accident”?

Whisht @whisht

Hi @arbutus – yep, spot on that’s the David James version from Triodion.

You play(ed) Hammond???!!??

[doffs cap, bends knee, puts palms on the floor and salutes, though admits its an awkward position to salute from]

and then nonchalantly says that you then had to play harpsichord…

That’s a ‘win’.

🙂

Thanks for the Dave Grusin – not heard of him before and enjoyed it. As you say its “flawless” and on reflection its noticeable how much of the music I have (from whatever genre) have quite a lot of imperfections about them.

I’ve been trying to think of a ping-pong but don’t want to go the 2 Many DJs route suggested by Gunn or even the smooth Bags and Trane route (though it is a bit Mancini-esque at the beginning), so instead will pong with a choon that is within the last 5 years (yay my quota) and is also my (failed) attempt to say well done to everyone on Who who got the Best Drama award – I’m Happy for You!

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.