On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

This is a place to congregate, somewhere to “hang out”. It’s a topic for general chat about anything you want, and a place for new members to pop in and say “hello” without worrying about making any real contribution (we know that your first post can sometimes feel daunting). We’d love to hear from you all. We’re very friendly.

This is a continuation of the previous On The Sofa thread which was nearing its maximum posting limit.

Timeloop @timeloop

Hi folks!

Are there any news on the screening of the 50th Anniversary special?  Exact times? How long can one see it in cinemas?
    Oh, and, it will be screened, won’t it? So it should be available on the iplayer AND in cinemas?!?! I have a feeling they did not think that one through…?

Timeloop

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Found whilst cleaning out the old sofa:

• 1 dalek shaped chocolate
    • A dog lead
    • A red and white striped t-shirt
    • Assorted loose change, including a Victorian shilling, a 10 Ruble note and a British half pence
    • A Cardinal’s hat
    • One bottle of red wine, half drunk
    • A Soviet sailor’s cap
    • A double-bass
    • A number of cake crumbs
    • An empty bottle marked ‘bat milk’.

Anyone missing these items should apply to the moderators.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – only one dog lead?!  Good lord, where did my boy Triton get to now?  (look for an Airedale visibly suffering the signs of having partaken of the half-drunk bottle of red wine, swirling his lead like Fred Astaire with his cane  😀 )

@Shazzbot – I presumed the other dog lead was being held in the dog’s mouth while he stared at you accusingly. 🙂

Did you know Cumbria has three of the wettest places in Britain? Only the Scottish Highlands can beat it for rain; Seathwaite, Cumbria is officially the wettest place in England.

I remember some visitors complaining that it rained every time they went to the Lake District. At which point everyone looked at each other, wondering who’d be the first to explain that that’s why it’s a Lake District. 😀

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

Good work on the Sofa lost property tally. In the coinage collection we got the equivalent of £2.27 in Great British Earth Currency, and a signed postcard of Colin Baker addressed to “my number one fan” which, in the right hands, is of incalculable value on the Rings of Akhaten.

All have been donated to our usual charity.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@shazzbot

There’s irony. As you came back to North Yorkshire from West Cumbria, you may have passed my in-laws travelling back from York to Whitehaven. Hope you waved.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – the other dog is his sister, Scout.  (Note to self:  must trim her eyebrows and beard more carefully so the gender differential is readily apparent.  😀 )  You will meet both Scout and Triton in November, and then all of this will make sense:  Scout looks at nobody ‘accusingly’.  She is the biggest tart in this galaxy, and lives for pleasing people, so it’s understandable that her lead was down the sofa – she was too busy flirting with everyone on the sofa to notice she was no longer restrained.  (I daresay Jek would swoon over her compliant beauty.)  Her brother Triton, on the other hand, has played the Alzheimer’s card since he was a puppy (hence my suspicion over that half-drunk bottle of wine … ) and barrelled out of the room looking for an open pub with a karaoke night if only to be found singing ‘My Way’ horrendously off-key simply so he could do that ‘what, how did I get here??’ look.  AGAIN.

Sadly, I was on holiday in Cumbria but not the Lake District.  I was on the Solway Firth, looking over the water to Dumfries & Galloway (i.e., for those not from our fair shores, south-west Scotland).  I found a stone on the beach which is a perfect rendition of a convertible car (complete with sunroof).   Yes, my holiday was that exciting.  🙂

Anonymous @

Ha @phaseshift – I do think Whitehaven was somewhere on the line we took from Wigton to Carlisle today (or was it Carlisle to Leeds?  it’s all a blur now).

@bluesqueakpip – I call dibsies on the double-bass, provided @phaseshift hasn’t donated it with the leftover change.

@Shazzbot – okay. You didn’t happen to find yourself naked in the street outside the Royal Albert Hall, by any chance?

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

You didn’t happen to find yourself naked in the street outside the Royal Albert Hall, by any chance?

Well, if I’d had the chance to be at the Doctor Who Proms, then finding myself naked outside the RAH would have been one of my lesser embarrassing moments.  Is it wrong to wonder what would’ve happened had Jack Harkness also found himself similarly dishabilled at the same time?  😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 26 is currently silent…
    z

MrGatri @mrgatri

Hi All,

I’ve  just discovered your forum on Google so thought I’d join and say hello.  So – Hello ! 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

@mrgatri  Thanks for oncoming, Mr Storm…
    z

MrGatri @mrgatri

Thx Wolfweed (love the pic btw!) I tend to think of myself as oncoming gentle breeze these days. I’ve mellowed with age

Anonymous @

Hi folks, I’m new to here, but just wondering if you’d help a fellow Whovian to drum up interest for a very cool and unique Kickstarter project, intended to celebrate 50 years of the Doctor. The actual project’s here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2089761201/full-metal-dalek-a-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-tri?ref=live

Even if you can’t donate, it’d be fantastic if you could help get the word out to as many people as possible. We’re also on Twitter @fullmetaldalek.

Thanks!

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBRgb7a5vMw
    The Cast of Downton Abbey Reveal Their Favourite Dr. Who Memories
    (File this under pointless as almost none of them watch it)
    z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – re your Downton Abbey / Doctor Who memories clip – you have to wonder why those ‘e’ people (EntertainmentWise??  Who dey?) bothered to post that video!  Only one person says they even watch the programme, and the rest were all a bit, meh (and that one twat who said he doesn’t watch it because he’s too busy gardening … 👿 ).  But a few did say they’re excited by the casting of Peter Capaldi, so I guess that’s something.

In context of what actually transpires during those interviews, this YT description of the clip certainly must be reported to the Advertising Standards Bureau:

The cast of Downton Abbey talk to EntertainmentWise about their absolute favourite Dr. Who memories. Watch the video for more!

Anonymous @

More than halfway through September now and still no sign of a trailer — for either the anniversary episode or An Adventure in Time and Space. Am I the only one to think that they’re both now well overdue and that the Beeb’s attitude to the 50th is a bit on the stinky side? A couple of cobbled together Confidentials and a rerun of episodes that were only on a few months previously  just does not cut it for me. And if I hear ‘oh we’ve got lots planned, we promise you won’t be disappointed’ one more time I’ll end up doing a Bonnie Langford.

Part of me suspects that they’re planning some kind of cinema trailer for the special but if that’s the case then I won’t be that impressed. The TV fans should be given priority.

Aaaaand relaaaax….  (sorry, folks, but getting mightily miffed here….)

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@jimthefish

I share your frustration on the trailer. How are we expected to come up with bonkers theories without a trailer, dammit!

Solution?…Alcohol. Works every time.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave — now, why didn’t I think of that…? 😉

@jimthefish – you know things are bad when we’re reduced to staring at the cloud shapes in the official poster. Is that Omega in the background? A one eyed alien? Or Homer Simpson?

I think @blenkinsopthebrave‘s suggestion has much to recommend it. 😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish @blenkinsopthebrave @bluesqueakpip

Completely agree – I suggest pangalactic gargleblasters in the Rose & Crown… then another shot at the poster – it usually starts to look animated after the 3rd or 4th drink 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot @jimthefish

Re Downton cast reveal Dr Who memories – if I was feeling cynical I would be thinking that the BBC seem to be using every tenuous DW connection they can think of to plug all their other shows. To the pub!!

Anonymous @

@scaryb – where have you been?!?  Glad to see you back.  Surely the Edinburgh Festival didn’t take that much out of you?

ScaryB @scaryb

<waves @Shazzbot>

Been under the table in the pub – Wow! daylight!!

Still no trailers…?

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 27 hungers for your ad libs…
    z

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

I’ll probably be disappointed, but the continuity announcer just said that something special was coming up after the EastEnders credits… We’ll know in half an hour…

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

I am indeed disappointed. Ho-hum.

soundworld @soundworld

Hello! I simply had to join up – I’ve been an occasional visitor over the last series, but having just watched all of Matt Smith’s episodes back to back in the last fortnight (OK, not quite all – I just watched ‘Hide’), I really wanted to give a big thanks to you all for the bonkers theorising that has kept me entertained and intrigued.  Its quite an incredible story watching it all again, and seeing soooooo much more in each episode, with hindsight.

I’m most intrigued by all the red/blue shift – once you know its there it just leaps out.  Watching Hide just now I shouted out in excitement when the pocket universe was illustrated with a red balloon/blue balloon.  (Maybe its time I got out for a bit).  Is there a specific place on the forum to discuss stuff like this that happens across multiple episodes?  Not that I have many ideas yet – my brain just explodes (luckily not as devastatingly as a tardis explosion).

Anonymous @

Hello @soundworld – your enthusiasm for bonkers theorising ™ is lovely to see.  And our resident blue-red expert @juniperfish can provide so much more contextual detail on that aspect.

You can always go to the Faces of the Doctor topic or Doctor Who Memories topic to discuss more multi-episode theories and thoughts.

Welcome, and we look forward to your own bonkers theories.

So, in the chorus of stamping feet and holding-our-breath-until-we-turn-blue while we wait for the 50th Anniversary Trailer, may I present Tom Hiddleston and the Cookie Monster on delayed gratification (it’s long words).

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip – great clip… BUT – I’m with Cookie Monster – ME WANTS TRAILER NOOOOW!!!!

😉

Anonymous @

Hi, I’m a massive Dr Who fan and have just noticed this event that’s happening in Preston for the 50th anniversary https://drwho-uclan.eventbrite.co.uk/ – a Doctor Who event that isn’t just aimed at kids! Who knew?!

XAD4 @xad4

Wow, Thanks @engagedrwho!

And only a stone’s throw away for me. 🙂

Whisht @whisht

nice clip @bluesqueakpip

Just curious, but if you found that after a quick google for “waiting”, its interesting that your muppet video had Tom Hiddlestone and mine had…. another muppet.

though probably reflects worse on my google history, rather than any “good looking young man” google history on your part…

😉

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht @bluesqueakpip @blenkinsopthebrave

Thanks all for brilliant recent video clips. Cookie Monster for the next Doctor…

@whisht – Yes, my Google Search powers are awesome. Especially when searching for good looking young men.

😀

Actually, I can’t claim credit for that one; I first saw it when it was posted on Whedonesque. Presumably on the grounds that a) Tom Hiddleston plays Loki in Avengers Assemble, so there’s a Whedon connection and b) he’s very good looking, so let’s make the most of the Whedon connection. 😈

Anonymous @

Thanks @xad4, I’ll look forward to seeing you there. Spread the word!!!!

wolfweed @wolfweed
    thommck @thommck

Not that I’m one to try and while away the last few hours of work on a friday afternoon but…

There is a short picture quiz over on MSN on the Doctor Who (AG) Monsters – Doctor Who: aliens and monsters – Who’s lurking behind the tiles?

My overall score was 51800! It was very easy but if you want more of a challenge, don’t read the multiple choice answers until you think you know what it is behind the tiles

@thommck – 52900

I agree that some of the multiple choice answers are a bit of a giveaway – in some cases there’s only one choice which is a genuine Who monster, so you don’t even have to look behind a single tile.

I have Friday afternoons off, btw. Just sayin’

thommck @thommck

@bluesqueakpip Curses! I had no idea what the names of those puppets were

@thommck – yeah, that one nearly threw me as well. I finally figured it out because of the ‘gottle o geer’ joke in the episode.

Were they ever named on-screen?

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 28 seeks your Billy Fluffs…

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqmOrf1Y9E

z

A short journey from Doctor Who’s studios in Cardiff, is the town of Barry – home not only to Stacey from Gavin & Stacey, but also Rubbertoe Replicas, producers of collectible replica props from Doctor Who.The Doctor Who team went to visit their workshop, and chatted to designer and craftsman Nick Robatto…

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed‘s link to Rubbertoe – that’s AMAZING stuff! I want ALL of it!!!

(I succumbed to the lure of merchandise this week and ordered The Day of the Dr DVD from BBC site (mainly in the hope they ship it early, haha!!)) You could drown in the amount of merchandise they have available – there’s PAGES of it. Rubbertoe’s stuff’s my fave tho. Not cheap tho… wonder how much they’d charge to make a TARDIS console… :mrgreen:

@thommck @bluesqueakpip   53400 (but i did peak at the multiple choice answers)

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 29 demands your input…

z

Anonymous @

I signed up for Twitter last night  (something I vowed I’d never do) and I already have a follower, none other than Mr David Tennant himself (or, which is more likely, someone claiming to be him).

I have a few questions for those more savvy than myself…

a) Will it give my life new meaning?
    b) Does following people I don’t know and am unlikely to ever meet make me a stalker?
    c) Is the fact that I’m about to go and buy some milk really that interesting to anyone but myself?

So far, I can’t really see the point of it. Am I missing something?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.