On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    BadWulf @badwulf

@craig – if this works, perhaps we could have an Episode ratings thread?

Anonymous @

@badwulf

That’s a great spreadsheet!

On the second sheet, can I suggest you add a category for The Master and possibly the Sontarans (not including Strax obviously) ?

BadWulf @badwulf

@fatmaninabox

Thank you!

It’s interesting to see how people have had different reactions to various episodes – I really suspect that I am in the minority in my profound feeling of “meh” regarding the Family of Blood episodes – most people seemed to love them!

I’ll look into modifying it with extra categories – so if anyone else has any suggestions… so far we have:

• The Master
    • Sontarans
    • UNIT
    • K9
    • Some way of rating companions (although, by story seems a little unfair, because for example Warrior’s Gate was awesome despite having Adric!)
    Anonymous @

@badwulf phenomenal work on the spreadsheet -helped perhaps by the mods. Boy, I can hardly ‘cut and paste’. It looks fab and I shall endeavour to head there for a longer time to add my values.

AleX @alex

@badwulf That sheet is amazing! Gonna help me a lot on selecting what stories I will watch in my BG marathon! I’m thiniing of watching everything 3&up or you think I should stick to 4&up? I’m finishing the second doctor stories this week! From the Third Doctor and on II’m gonna skip some stories or it’ll take me a few years to finish it!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@badwulf

Fantastic! I plan on diving in. Who knows when I will re-surface.

PhileasF @phileasf

@badwulf – Oh no! There goes my afternoon! 🙂

PhileasF @phileasf

And I’m done.

I didn’t realise I had so much love for Pertwee! Possibly it’s just too long since I saw his stories, and I’ve forgotten the boring bits in between the good bits I remember. The overwhelming emotion I remember while watching the episodes is wishing the stories were a lot shorter.

And I seem to be really into River. I think this is because she only appears in episodes written by Steven Moffat, which I tend to like.

My ratings confirm my general impression of one of the key differences between the BG and AG series: that the BG series was much more variable in quality than the AG series. Of course, when the BG series pulled out something really special, it could stand out more amid the dross.

I mainly refrained from rating missing stories, though I’ve experienced most of them in one way or another, either as ‘telesnap reconstructions’, or photonovels, or script books, or CD soundtracks, or novelisations. I made an exception of Evil of the Daleks, which I feel I know very well. Next time I refresh my memory of any others (by e.g. listening to their soundtracks) I’ll come back and give them a score.

Rob @rob

Yesterday the boss and I went to Wyntercon in Eastbourne….. now we do medieval reenactment so are not strangers to weird, stood us in good stead 😀

We saw Potterverse goblins, wands, steampunk, Darth Vader and The Green Cross Code Man, zombies, graphic novels being created and much more, a eye poppingly interesting day. Not forgetting Richard and Tina’s (friends from the medieval world)  jewellery stand The Unfound Door where we picked up the boss’s new emerald ring

However we stumbled across three Daleks and a Tardis where for a fee you could have your photo taken…… a nip back to The Unfound Door  where two swords and a buckler were borrowed and voilà a picture of two loons attacking three Daleks, my day was complete,  will see if I cam upload to the site later

BadWulf @badwulf

I’ve updated the spreadsheet with a few more categories. We can now see ratings for the following:

• Doctor (Pertwee and McGann are trending highest here – each on 4.17 out of 5)
    • Series/Season (Forum Average: 3.72 out of 5)
    • Christmas Specials (Forum Average: 3.74 out of 5)
    • River Song (Forum Average: 4.49 out of 5)
    • Paternoster Gang (Forum Average: 4.07 out of 5)
    • Daleks (Forum Average: 4.06 out of 5)
    • Cybermen (Forum Average: 3.42 out of 5)
    • Sontarans (Forum Average: 3.94 out of 5)
    • The Master (Forum Average: 3.79 out of 5)
    • Gallifrey (Forum Average: 3.94 out of 5)
    • Unit (Forum Average: 4.07 out of 5)

So far, three people have voted (including me).

@fatmaninabox is clearly a Gallifrey fan, giving all Gallifrey episodes rated a perfect 5 out of 5!

@phileasf – I was also surprised about how much I have enjoyed many of the Pertwee stories, and there are several classics that I have yet to see!

With regard to River – I agree that she has tended to appear in very strong stories, which certainly sets her arc above many of the others – as you say, it is clear that the Moff had a strong vision with where he wanted to take the character.

I think one of the key differences between the AG and BG stories is that, if a BG story was a stinker, it might fester in the memory for week after week (The Twin Dilemma, I’m looking at you), but the great stories can leave on ongoing sense of mystery and suspense.

One of the stories that I usually find that I rate higher than other fans is Terminus, mainly because I saw it at an impressionable age and the idea of an accident being able to both create and destroy a universe really captured my imagination.

For anyone who missed the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OMlaYpWrBclrz3YddmTFjanxaK02tzmr_lXKaZwxiJs/edit?usp=sharing

DrBen @drben

Thank you @badwulf – this is wonderful!  I have added my ratings (clearly, I haven’t seen much in the way of BG yet).  I guess that now I can statistically confirm (science!) that the 11th Doctor is My Doctor (although 12 may surpass him after this week).

Are the category averages viewable somewhere?  I didn’t see them.

BadWulf @badwulf

@drben The category averages should be on the “Do Not Edit” tab.

DrBen @drben

@badwulf Thank you!

Apopheniac @apopheniac

There are ructions over in The Guardian about a potential future female Doctor.  Reading the (ritually depressing) comments BTL, I had a thought which was originally prompted by someone on this site (sorry for not giving proper attribution nor making an exact quote):

The Master is now female.  This is testing-the-waters time for a future female Doctor.

My vote goes with, NO.  In fact, I think, casting The Master as a female is a coffin-nail on The Doctor being cast as a woman in any short-term future.

I dont have any strong feelings about The Doctor being a woman – its all about the casting and the writing, a point which I hope Peter Capaldi has locked in.  “The Doctor” is a gender-neutral title.  To cast a woman actress as The Doctor, if it were solely done as so-called “stunt casting” would be terrible.  And if there was a change in the way the show was written, the kind of adventures being shown, simply because the lead character was played by a woman rather than a man – that would be equally horrible.

Moffat and any showrunners-at-large know these minefields.  This is why I think making The Master a woman is as far as they can go in todays world of instant Twatter “OMG”-ness.

lisa @lisa

weird city but good for a giggle

BadWulf @badwulf

@drben

Actually, there was a bug in the sheet caused by my trying to cut and paste new categories from my Excel master sheet. The formulas for the Sontaran, Master and Gallifrey sections hadn’t copied properly, so they were just showing the data without doing any calculations.

It is fixed now!

AleX @alex

Just added my scores to the sheet, looks like Tennant really is my doctor, followed closely for Troughton and Mcgann (been listening to his audio stories and been loving it), Smith had a lot of more good episodes then I remembered, I think Series 7 wich had some episodes I didin’t like left me a bad impression of his doctor overall!

BadWulf @badwulf

@purofilion phenomenal work on the spreadsheet -helped perhaps by the mods. Boy, I can hardly ‘cut and paste’. It looks fab and I shall endeavour to head there for a longer time to add my values.

Thank you very much!

Alas, I spend far too much of my time playing with spreadsheets than is really healthy. I’m not too familiar with Google Sheets, but my Excel-Fu is pretty good.

Looking forward to seeing your ratings!

BadWulf @badwulf

@alex Just added my scores to the sheet, looks like Tennant really is my doctor, followed closely for Troughton and Mcgann (been listening to his audio stories and been loving it), Smith had a lot of more good episodes then I remembered, I think Series 7 wich had some episodes I didin’t like left me a bad impression of his doctor overall!

Excellent! Yes – I was surprised that I rated Tennant as highly as I did – I had forgotten that probably the best (IMHO) two AG episodes were during his tenure.

Also, I was surprised that Davison was much lower than I expected, since he was *my* Doctor, given that my first real memory of Doctor Who was the Melkur from the first showing of Keeper of Traken, and the first story I remembered was Castrovalva.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Great work on that spreadsheet, @badwulf. Will try and put in my scores when I get a moment.

And good to see that @wolfweed is still lurking out there. Hope to see a more permanent return soon….

AleX @alex

@badwulf – How do I quote a post on this forum? Can’t find the quote post button anywhere!

About Davison I can’t say anything yet since i’ve only seen him in The Five Doctor, I’m gonna finish the second doctor stories tonight and start using the sheet to download the best third doctor stories. Hopefully I can finish the best stories of each doctor before the end of the year!

Talking AG series, Tennant has some bad episodes but I really loved his take on the Doctor, he’s a really good actor and you can see that he really loved being in Doctor Who, I like Matt Smith for example but I’ve never seen that same glow in his eyes!

MelodyPondIsRiverSong @melodypondisriversong

Hello Sweeties,

New fan here. I have been following Doctor Who for about 12 months now. Very vague on old Who but willing to learn.

Look forward to speaking to you all again soon

BadWulf @badwulf

@alex How do I quote a post on this forum? Can’t find the quote post button anywhere!

Hi AleX – you have to do it manually!

Just copy and paste the text you want to quote into your reply, then use the “Blockquote” formatting button (between Italic and Strikethrough). The paragraph where your cursor is will then be indented, and shown in bold italic on the forum.

Tennant is an odd one for me, because I really enjoyed his take on the Doctor, and it was well performed and felt very modern. However, his final story, and the way his regeneration was handled left a very bad taste in my mouth. I found the End of Time story to be a horribly wasted opportunity – re:

• The Master being turned into one of the X-men with Dragonball Z powers;
    • The really stupid-looking transformation of the entire population of the world into him;
    • Th treatment of Donna’s fate – just fainting instead of having her mind burned out – reducing the impact of her fate from Journey’s End;
    • The silly silly silly gushing treatment of Obama (Who should deal with *fictional* politicians – I wasn’t keen on seeing Nixon, either, but at least Nixon was safely dead when he was portrayed);
    • The tokenistic marriage of Martha to Mickey, which cheapened two characters whom I felt had really well developed character arcs up until that point;
    • The physics-defying jump from a spaceship (surely a more certainly fatal fall than from a Pharos Project communications dish)
    • The waste of Timothy Dalton
    • The anticlimax of the final confrontation

There’s probably more, but I think that gets across my sense of disappointment with the way 10 was sent off. Perhaps if he’d been done away with in the Waters of Mars, that wouldn’t have happened.

Still, the Tennant Doctor did have a great run with many many rock-solid episodes.

AleX @alex

@badwulf Hi AleX – you have to do it manually!

Just copy and paste the text you want to quote into your reply, then use the “Blockquote” formatting button (between Italic and Strikethrough). The paragraph where your cursor is will then be indented, and shown in bold italic on the forum.

Tennant is an odd one for me, because I really enjoyed his take on the Doctor, and it was well performed and felt very modern. However, his final story, and the way his regeneration was handled left a very bad taste in my mouth. I found the End of Time story to be a horribly wasted opportunity – re:

• The Master being turned into one of the X-men with Dragonball Z powers;
    • The really stupid-looking transformation of the entire population of the world into him;
    • Th treatment of Donna’s fate – just fainting instead of having her mind burned out – reducing the impact of her fate from Journey’s End;
    • The silly silly silly gushing treatment of Obama (Who should deal with *fictional* politicians – I wasn’t keen on seeing Nixon, either, but at least Nixon was safely dead when he was portrayed);
    • The tokenistic marriage of Martha to Mickey, which cheapened two characters whom I felt had really well developed character arcs up until that point;
    • The physics-defying jump from a spaceship (surely a more certainly fatal fall than from a Pharos Project communications dish)
    • The waste of Timothy Dalton
    • The anticlimax of the final confrontation

There’s probably more, but I think that gets across my sense of disappointment with the way 10 was sent off. Perhaps if he’d been done away with in the Waters of Mars, that wouldn’t have happened.

Still, the Tennant Doctor did have a great run with many many rock-solid episodes.

I actually agree with all your points, in the first view those things didn’t really bother me, I was new to Who, didn’t knew it’s history and what was usual and what wasn’t, but the second time I watched it I was so bored I turned it off half way trough!  I just don’t agree with Martha and Mickey ending up togheter, I can’t say I liked it was like more a wathever moment, I think they were well developed and actually kinda makes sense that they end up togheter after all they went trhough with the Doctor and the time the spent together at UNIT.

Off all the specials Waters of Mars is just epic, it’s actually one of my favorite who stories ever!

BadWulf @badwulf

@alex I just don’t agree with Martha and Mickey ending up togheter, I can’t say I liked it was like more a wathever moment, I think they were well developed and actually kinda makes sense that they end up togheter after all they went trhough with the Doctor and the time the spent together at UNIT.

I think my issue was partly because:

a) It came out of the blue;

b) Martha was already engaged to someone else;

c) I have observed that many TV shows (US ones in particular) have a habit of pairing up characters of African heritage, as if they are afraid of the whole “dating outside your race” thing. Now, I don’t believe that Doctor Who has that specific problem (Mickey dated Rose, after all), but it made me think of that, and so gave the surprise marriage a weird tokenistic taste to me. Sort of – why else would they be together?

Your point about all they have gone through together, with the Doctor and with UNIT, goes some way to mitigating my point (c) – I would just like to have seen the relationship develop on screen rather than have is presented as a done deal.

BadWulf @badwulf

@alex Off all the specials Waters of Mars is just epic, it’s actually one of my favorite who stories ever!

Totally agreed – Waters of Mars has absolutely the best adversary of the AG era – it had no explanation, motivation or history – it was just plain terrifying looking.

And best of all, it hasn’t been diluted by revisiting, unlike the Weeping Angels (which I still love, but they don’t have the same impact as they did in Blink)

Whovianami @whovianami

I will tell you about my introduction to Doctor Who. A while ago, I kept hearing everybody rave about Doctor Who, and I as yet had not seen any episodes. So one day I decided to see what all the hype was about, got onto Netflix and watched my very first episode of Doctor Who. The first one listed was “Rose” where we get introduced to Chris Eccleston as the Doctor. After watching the episode I only had three words to say concerning Doctor Who. Those three words are: creepy. I’m hooked. I’ve been a fan ever since.

Side note: I realised as I was writing this that I made an unintentional reference to the latest episode, Dark Water….

BadWulf @badwulf

Yay! I’ve just ordered Spearhead From Space on Blu-Ray and Image of the Fendahl and Meglos on DVD. I’m going to have me some ’70s-style viewing after this weekend’s Capaldi finale!

No spoilers please, as I’ve not seen any of these stories before!

BadWulf @badwulf

Welcome to @melodypondisriversong and @whovianami – looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the latest AG stories, and maybe lure you into a few of the BG classics!

pollo20x6 @pollo20x6

How do I post topics on this website?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@pollo20x6

How do I post topics on this website?

You don’t mate. You post topics on Digital Spy, over here, which welcomles thousands of duplicate “OPs” posting alterntive takes on the same subject. Because your point of view will be so important to fandom, and deserve numerous followers or arguers to validate your own weak point of view. The rest of us will remain here, post in single topics, discuss and try to put our point of view to other people without the smugness of opening a topic with some thoughtless mindwank.

My name is @phaseshift. Happy to help you on your way to paradise.

Unless you actually wish to articulate some semblance of an idea, in which case do it here, and you will possibly get feedback from interested parties and we may open a thread. Or you maybe can post a long, well argued idea!

[This message was sent to you via my i-dontgiveashit tablet]

pollo20x6 @pollo20x6

@phaseshift

Ah.

Well the truth is, I’m looking for fans of Dr. Who that are willing to answer a couple questions for a questionnaire I’m distributing on web forums.

It’s for a Mass Media class I’m taking and I’m focusing on Television fandoms (whovians, bronies, trekkies, whatever the heck a game of thrones fan is called) for this particular assignment. I thought it would be beneficial to get the fans opinions instead of what others have researched in the past.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@pollo20x6

How unfortunate for you to join us during a minor “Trollageddon”.

We’ve dealt with research before. We have a couple of scientists, a lecturer from the OU, and a couple of very knowledgeable nosey-parkers on the team.

@craig has fielded questions from researchers before. So have I, and also @jimthefish and @fatmaninabox. PM us one and all, or in any combination.

Send your proposal through. Please.I look forward to reading it. It may give us a some excitement post Saturday!

fonzysimon @fonzysimon

So is Jenna Louise Coleman leaving the show?

The Amazing Time Machine. Turns out Tardis technology is pretty much spot on 😉

Perry @perry

Hey, new guy here, been lurking for some time. You know, i was wondering, if Moffat announced that he was leaving the show after season 8 (hypothetically speaking obviously), what would he have left behind? What would his legacy be? What i mean is, where does he rank among the other showrunners? Is his era something that you would suppress deep into your subconscious like it never happened? Or would you consider it the peak of Doctor Who? There is no doubt that opinions are divided, so i’d like to hear yours.

Spider @spider

@perry  well firstly … what do YOU think?

Secondly. If he stopped now: He has left behind the crafting of 2 Doctors, multiple companions, multiple Christmas episodes, the 50th Anniversary episode and many of the best loved/rated episodes in the rebooted series (blink, girl in the fireplace, etc etc etc).

SO, overall IMO: The boy done good.

The only comparison I would make is with RTD, I don’t think it is fair to try and compare to the BG era. RTD did what was needed to bring the show back and make it a success. SM has done what has needed to build on that and I think his run has been superb. BUT you cannot have one without the other.

The real test is where we go next.  My prediction is Jamie Mathieson is going to be the next show runner whenever SM steps down – purely based on the fact his 2 scripts this year have been my favourite episodes 🙂

(\(\;;/)/)

Perry @perry

@spider

Well, i’m at the finale of season 5 so i don’t really have an opinion on the series 6-8. Unfortunately, my curiosity got the better of me and i couldn’t resist reading all the spoilers from these particular seasons. I still need to catch up though. Moffat hasn’t let me down so far (he has let down some other people from what i’ve read). I just try to enjoy the episodes without nipticking every single detail.

Spider @spider

@perry okaaay, you haven’t watched 6-8. so why exactly are you asking the question!?

Are you wondering if it’s ‘worthwhile’ watching the next 3 seasons? well…yes of course it is.

If you aren’t looking for a bit of ‘nit-picking’ of episodes, not sure you’ve come to the right place 😉

So, in essence: What’s your point caller?

(\(\;;/)/)

Perry @perry

@spider

I know it’s worthwhile watching seasons 6-8. I only asked those questions because i’ve read a lot of opinions on the matter, even though i haven’t formed one of my own, and i was merely curious what people think around these parts, since i’ve noticed that there are some die-hard Doctor Who fans here, that’s all.

RobertDaller @robertdaller

@perry
    First off I have watched some of the classic series, (And intend to watch all the way through) But from everything i’ve seen, and watched, the modern series is still superior in my opinion. (I’ve seen all episode’s of it)

In the Russel T. Davies era, I feel like we got perhaps some of if not the greatest stories in Doctor Who.
    Specifically each and every finale. (Even more specifically ‘The Dalek invasion of Earth’ and ‘The End of time”

While the Steven Moffat era, has given us what is in my opinion the best Doctor of all time. (Matt Smith, and you’re free to think otherwise)

Russel T. Davies’s era invemted the Time War, which naturally ingrained him into the history of the show, like few Showrunner’s have been before.

The same can be said about Steven Moffat for saving it in ‘the Day of the Doctor’

While the Time War was overall my favorite long time story arc, I believed it was right of Moffat to bring back Gallifrey, and can’t wait for when it makes it’s own physical appearance once again, the Crack’s the Silence and Clara’s mystery are also some excellent story arcs, and i’m glad to see that they connected to one big finale. (Though i’m a bit disappointed by the explanation for the Crack’s)

Long story short, both Davies and Moffat are equally ingrained into my subconscious.
    And while i’m a little sore at Davies for creating ‘Torchwood’ (I’m sorry I hate it, but you’re free to have your opinion)
    And Moffat for creating the characters of  ‘Vastra and Jenny’ (Again sorry, but I hate them, you’re free to have your opinion though.) Both writer’s are extremely excellent at story telling.

Davies and Moffat are very different writer’s and I feel like if Moffat had been head writer back with Eccleston, it wouldn’t have been the right time, his story arc’s are excellent, but long and complex, which isn’t what Doctor Who needed in it’s re-introduction, but Davies was excellent at re-introducing to the character’s and monster’s we all know and love.

That being said, despite mostly positive feelings for Moffat’s era, I really hope he does leave after Season 8, it’s time to give a new writer a go, Davies got 4 season’s and I think it’s a good number to stop on. (Though I think it was confirmed he wouldn’t leave, but that’s fine, I just hope he doesn’t stay around ‘forever’) (Another 4 years)

Spider @spider

@perry

Nope. Still not getting it. What is the question?

(\(|;;/)/)

Perry @perry

@spider

I just wanted to read your opinion in the Moffat era.

Spider @spider

@perry

Fair enough, in that case, my opinions is as i said in #34962  the boy done good.

And again for the record, my prediction is Jamie Mathieson will be the next show runner.

(\(\;;/)/)

@robertdaller

And Moffat for creating the characters of  ‘Vastra and Jenny’ (Again sorry, but I hate them, you’re free to have your opinion though.)

It is worth noting that Vastra and Jenny came back very much through popular demand (as did Strax). Like River Song they were conceived as one-offs.

Of course, popular demand isn’t necessarily a good reason to bring back a character, but the wise showrunner knows when to pander (the great showrunners know when not to as well).

beancounter @beancounter

I was waiting in line at Chipotle’s tonight and overheard someone say that a person he knew was old because he was born in 1981.

Holy Sh*t…if someone born in 1981 is old, then what does that make me?… a mummy? or maybe a litch?

Arbutus @arbutus

@perry

First of all, I don’t think it’s possible to compare AG and BG Who, because that implies two distinct entities, when in reality there are more than that. You can’t even really compare different Doctors’ eras, because the style of the show changed considerably from one end of the Tom Baker era to the other, and from McCoy’s first season to his later ones. I would say that some AG Who is better than some BG Who, and vice versa.

As for Moffat, I think he’s had his moments. Like many people, I thought his one-offs under RTD were brilliant. I loved Series 5, but was not so crazy about a lot of the Amy/Rory/River arc that followed. It’s interesting actually, as I glance over the episode list from Series 6 and 7a, that most of the episodes I most enjoyed were not penned by Moffat. Take all this with a grain of salt, mind you, because I enjoyed almost all of these episodes to some degree; I’ve said it many times, I am not a picky viewer! I enjoyed the “Impossible Girl” arc more generally, and he won me over completely with the Anniversary Special, which I found pretty much perfect. And now, of course, Capaldi.

So I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t think you can really lump his entire output into one consistent “era”. Of course, he’s been hugely influential. But obviously not more so than RTD, or some of the producers and writers from the
    various AG periods. For what it’s worth.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

On the road at the moment, so a quick message before Death in Heaven. If the Master’s TARDIS is not the nethersphere on the inside and St Paul’s on the outside, then …Blame Blenkinsop!

and I will also nail my colours to the mast with this prediction:  the Doctor is right–SEB, the nethersphere, it is all a con.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Sprinkles a tonne of glitter on the sofa  in anticipation of the finale this evening (oops @scaryb – hope it doesn’t get in your tipple).

Then sniffs a bit, because it can’t be the finale already, can it?

janetteB @janetteb

I have one big complaint, and I mean big, with this series. It is almost over. @juniperfish I hope there are some tissues handy because, even if Danny does not die and Clara lives on to continue her wayward adventures on the Tardis, I am going to need them. I will bring some Jammy Dodgers. I have a couple of packets in the pantry. Just wishing I did not have to wait until tomorrow night.

As to the question about show runners, I don’t really like making comparisons because each has brought so much to the series and deserves credit not the censure of comparison. RTD did some brilliant stuff but his work was let down by the series endings when he felt the need to do bigger and better and in doing so tried to achieve the impossible and failed. I always felt that he put so much into the finale of series 1 that he was unable to better it but determined to do so and having hit the top from then on was doomed to go “over the top”. Moffat has tried, rather more successfully I think to produce big bang series endings though there is always something a little unsatisfactory about them. I think that is because Moffat excells at the small stories and the timey wimey stuff and pulling out the grand finale fireworks is not quite his style. Moffat brilliance is in doing “clever” rather than simplistic action stories. He is willing to experiment, to try new ideas and as a result some work, some don’t. AT least he was willing to experiment. He has brought some brilliant secondary characters into the Dr Who world, fleshing it out a little, giving it a depth that old Who lacked. Vastra, Jenny, Strax and new Unit have all enriched the mythos just as River Song did and I am glad that she had merited at least a mention this series. I hope that Unit and the Paternoster Gang will outlive Moffat just as old Unit outlived respective production teams. (Not that I am in any hurry for Moffat to move on. He does not appear to have run out of fresh ideas yet.)

As for colours on the mast, well here are my motley collection, Danny is not dead, Clara’s call was from the future, the afterlife is a con, Orson is Danny’s clone or twin and Clara will sacrifice herself to bring Danny back, hence the message. (And I will have tissues at the ready, just in case.) And we will not meet Ian until the Christmas Special because I suspect this story will not be fully resolved until then because Moffat is evil and would enjoy tortouring us by keeping us in suspense for two months..

So till tomorrow then,,

Happy viewing all

Cheers

Janette

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.