On The Sofa (8)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (8)

This topic contains 1,002 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author
    TheDentistOfDavros @thedentistofdavros

@dalektor Hello, good question and good answer! I love remembrance as well @stitchintime I also love deadly assassin so you two are not alone in your choices

For me it has to be between power of the Daleks and the mind robber though tomorrow it will probably be different! It’s such a shame that power is missing as its a great story and a very important one too! One day it might come back well here’s hoping anyway

Anonymous @

@dalektor

Fav? Hell Bent/Heaven Sent

or: The last episode of Matt Smith’s

PuroSolo

winston @winston

@dalektor  That is always a hard choice to make. I have many faves but the episodes I always watch over  and over again are Rose ,the Pandorica and Big Bang two parter and Blink.

Missy @missy

@puroandson

Mine too.

@winston

Also among my favourites.

Recently I went on YT to see if I could find the music for Heaven Sent – and struck gold – literally!

It’s classed as the Heaven Sent Suite

Murray Gold seems to get better and better. He should receive an award for this episode alone.

Cheers,

Missy

DalekTor @dalektor

@missy

I’ve also explored the internet trying to find high-quality Doctor Who music. A lot of the fan adaptations and compositions are really good! TVtropes is a good place to look.

From one minute of scrolling I got:

Two versions of the main theme played on Tesla Coils

A mix of the main theme with the Game of Thrones theme

Canon Dalek Themes

A heavy metal version of “I am the Doctor” (It’s much better than it sounds)

and a rendition of “Am I the Doctor?” by Jon Pertwee (“I cross the void beyond the mind, the empty space that circles time…”)

There’s still more I haven’t listened to yet. Can’t wait until I can!

@dalektor

Google  “glastonbury orbital matt smith”

DalekTor @dalektor

@pedant

That was cool! I wonder what else is on the internet to find?

Missy @missy

@dalektor

Fantastic music isn’t it.

@pedant

I shall try this.

Thank you both.

Cheers,

Missy

Missy @missy

Had a look pedant, definitely different.
    I kept thinking that it would have been even better, if Peter Capaldi had been playing.

Cheers,

Missy

DalekTor @dalektor

Hey, is anyone going to Emerald City Comic Con? There’s a fan meet-up there and I’m going.

winston @winston

@dalektor   Sadly, I can only dream of going. Have fun!

Missy @missy

@dalektor

Like winston, I too can only dream.

Have a wonderful time and let us know all about it.

Cheers,

Missy

DalekTor @dalektor

@missy

Back. Running on no sleep. Have obligations like life. Argh.

Will post about the ECCC later. Was totally worth it.

Arbutus @arbutus

@missy      I thought the Heaven Sent soundtrack was probably the best Doctor Who music ever. And as you say, the bar was already set pretty high!

Miapatrick @miapatrick

So, Sunday morning, a little past three, I was woken by the sound of someone attempting to remove my head with a chainsaw. I was relieved, at first, to realise it was just my boyfriend, snoring merrily away after a little too much rum, until it dawned on me that being decapitated is a pain that does, mercifully, have a fairly swift end. By half past four I was comforting myself with the thought that uncharacteristic snoring is associated with sudden adult death syndrome. By five I was eyeing the pillows, convinced that I had just solved a medical mystery, but must keep it under wraps until my acquittal.

I think I was more irked because this Sunday was the last full day I had for finishing my second to last assignment for this module, and a PIP form. Anyway, both sent off today, and I’m looking at getting them both back roughly the same time. So, in all likelihood, I shall be working on my final assignment for this module- 50% of the whole mark- at about the same time as I am negotiating the twists and turns of the PIP appeals process. Nothing like positive thinking…

It was my fault really, though. When I went to bed early leaving him with his night-time medication, he and his best friend were sipping, responsibly, on some nice bottles of ale. After I went to bed, however, they found the rum. He’s on an experimental high dosage of amitriptyline, so I can now report to his doctor that the effect of mixing half a bottle of rum with 300mg amitriptyline strongly affects respiration. Clearly my fault, I should have stayed up and helped them drink that rum. Even if his breathing was affected, at least I could have slept through it.

Missy @missy

@dalektor

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Cheers,

Missy

Missy @missy

@arbutus

Very high! I remember MG saying once, that he wanted his music to make people cry – or words to that affect/effect (never get that word right) – and it does.

One can only hope that MG continues to write for DW – or am I being selfish?

Cheers

Missy

Missy @missy

@miapatrick

Tut, tut! *chuckles*

Cheers,

Missy

Anonymous @

@miapatrick

That sounds awful -and a little scary for you. Yes, I think the rum and other “high spirits” need to be hidden in a cupboard your darlin’ cannot reach!

Congrats on nearly finishing your degree but I am at a loss as to what PIP actually means?

🙂

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@miapatrick–

good luck with the PIP application (@puroandson — I’m assuming it’s a Personal Independence Payment form. The new form of disability allowance in the internecine and Kafka-esque labyrinth that is the DWP these days).

Also good luck with the assignment. Heedie doon an intae it, as an old teacher of mine used to say….

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Which is most of them to be honest, so really, the fault is mine! :).

I’ve got one more module after this one, but it’s nice to see the finish line. Is it? I’m going to miss studying. Ideally i’ll use all that free time for writing but- that never really happened before, except in bursts. Hopefully my newly developed work habits will persist.

PIP is Personal Independence Payments, which are replacing Disability Living Allowance. It’s mostly about how the persons disability affects them, so I’ve had to slog through my boyfriends medical records (yet again) and select documents to back up our claims, proving (as much as I can) physical disability (he has no solid diagnosis) as well as mental health problems exacerbated by medication.  This typically begins with making me want to weep, and ends up with me developing a fantastically inappropriate sense of humour. ‘Honey, I’ve got to ‘mixing with other people’, I’m going to need a bigger pad of paper!’ (Ironically, fantastically inappropriate sense of humour actually made up one of the paragraphs.)

urgh, anyway, I’m slowly calming down from it all, after burning out two e-cigarettes and posting passing fantasies about smothering him in his sleep. Anyway, the sun is shining, I live near the beach, with five doggies and he really is a nice man. So, count the blessings and all that 😉

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@jimthefish, thank you, and well put. The good thing is, with the bloody form sent off, I’ve actually in the past couple of days managed to get a decent amount of work done on the final assignment and am entering into a phase of optimism about it. This will fade. Which is the Doctor Who episode about bad things not making the good things meaningless? I know its a Matt Smith one. Think I just need to watch that again.

Missy @missy

@miapatrick

Good luck sent to you. What a situation.

Chers,

Missy

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@missy- thank you very much. Anyway, ranting and whining over now, promise 🙂

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@miapatrick

The episode you’re looking for is Vincent and The Doctor.

Best of luck with the PIP appeal and well done for getting back to that final assignment (Ah yes, I remember it well…)

Apropos of nothing, this made me smile. A lot.

How cool would a Bletchley-set DW ep be? Turing, Tutte, Tiltman and a whole cast of eccentric brilliance.

Missy @missy

@miapatrick

You rant and and whine as much as you like m’dear, you are amongst friends.

Cheers,

Missy

Missy @missy

@pedant

Interesting thought, as long as Benedict Cumberbatch played Turing again. *chuckle*

Cheers,

Missy

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

For those of a certain age: Gareth Thomas, who played Roj Blake in Blake’s Seven, has died. 🙁

He was a Shakespearean actor as well as a TV lead; I remember seeing him as Duke Orsino in Twelfth Night.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip — Just saw that. Very sad news. He was a face that popped up in all kinds of places — including showing a surprising gift for comedy in places. But I guess he’ll always be Blake…

janetteB @janetteb

Just saw that @bluesqueakpip. Also he was in Torchwood, (I don’t know which episode) His role in Children of the Stones is also worthy of note. I loved that series when I was young, (at the same time I was hooked on Blake’s 7) I re watched it a couple of years ago and still enjoyed it. It is certainly a product of its time however.

We introduced the boys to Blake’s 7 when they were young though only the first two series. IT really went downhill after Blake left.

I also like the suggestion @pedant of a Bletchley based Who story. I would also like to see the Doctor run into Ada Lovelace at some point.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

I remember him well. How sad.

Cheers,

Missy

Narvin @narvin

Hi new Sofa page, I’ve never seen you so short! Just wanted to let you all know we are having a crazy sale on all Doctor Who wireless speakers & headphones! Use the CODE: TYPE40% on the checkout page. That’s good for 40% off and free shipping.. Allons-y!

http://www.fametek.com

DalekTor @dalektor

I’m back!

I promised all of you that I’d tell you about Emerald City Comic Con, but life’s been getting in the way, so I’m doing it now that I have spare time.

The Con was four days long and started on the seventh. The first day was a bit more calm, and I mostly just wandered around the exhibit floor. There was a booth giving out free books! FREE BOOKS! Free books are the best swag, aside from free video games, in my opinion. There was also a Dark Horse booth giving out free comics, and a booth selling only fezzes. Unfortunately, the fez booth had no Doctor Who fezzes. 🙁

The second day was more of a panel and show day. There was this one really funny show, called Gamers Live, and it was awesome. It was about these guys who were roleplaying and the actors actually portrayed the characters. Heh… control of boots.

After that, there was day three. I went to a Doctor Who fan meet-up and had a rather detailed discussion about the Hybrid plot arc, because it was the only one to obsess over at the moment. There was a guy dressed up as Four who had a working K-9 replica, and another person with a remote-controlled Dalek with a Four scarf and Fez on it! So cool!

Day four was a bit of a let down after that. I went to a fan panel for Doctor who, but they were mostly just talking about stuff in the Seattle Area that I couldn’t go to. There was a guy in a really good, as in could have been an actual costume good, Masquerade Clockwork Repair Drone from the 10 episode with Madame Pompadour, so there’s that.

Overall, it was really fun and I want to do it again sometime!

winston @winston

@dalektor   I am glad you had a good time, and free books! Sounds pretty fun and I hope to make it to one someday.

Missy @missy

@dalektor

Thank you for that. Are we still obsessed about the ‘hybrid?’?
    Well I am.

Did they not have a life sized Tardis?

Cheers,

Missy

DalekTor @dalektor

@missy

TARDIS first, then hybrid.

I didn’t see a TARDIS, but maybe that was because I just missed the day it may have been on the exhibit floor.

As for the hybrid…

Moffat decided to leave us on hiatus for a year as he left the BBC scrambling for a new showrunner, so the Hybrid Arc is the only one we really have to go on. (Unless you count Peter Capaldi’s “Am I a good man?” arc, which I don’t, because HE’S THE DOCTOR. If you look up the definition of a good man in the dictionary, it has a picture of his face there. Faces.)

Therefore, I’m obsessing over the Hybrid arc.

DalekTor @dalektor

Also, is anybody going to Gallifrey One?

Sorry for double post.

Missy @missy

@dalektor

I’ve not heard of this. What is it exactly?

Cheers,

Missy

DalekTor @dalektor

@missy

It’s the longest-running and largest annual Doctor Who convention in the US. It’s in Los Angeles. I’m guessing you’re not coming, then, since the tickets for this year were sold yesterday. 🙁

Unless you have a time machine, of course…

winston @winston

@dalektor   I had not heard of this till you mentioned it so I Googled it and it looks great! I really wish I could go but as you say it is sold out and I would have to plan way ahead , but maybe I will. The people they have had at past events from Who and other sci/fi  and fantasy shows were great. Everbody from Moffat and Billie Piper to Tom Baker and Peter Davidson to mention just a few from past years, Since it has been running for quite a few years I  hope it keeps going long enough for me to attend. I just added something new to my bucket list.

Missy @missy

@dalektor

Thanks for the info.
    Were I to win the lottery and could fly first class, I would be there.
    However, as I never buy lottery tickets, my presence seems unlikely! *big grin*
    The USA is a long way from OZ.

Cheers,

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

What part of OZ are you in @missy? for some reason I keep thinking you are in the UK or US.

I have a friend who goes to all the sci fi conventions in Oz and volunteers at some I believe. Apparently she once gave Colin Baker a lift in her car from the airport. I tend to look at the ticket prices and opt for just staying home and re-watching old episodes.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb

My OH and I live in Perth, WA.
    You are half right however, we were born and bred in London, therefore English to the backbone. *chuckles*
    We did go to the Specatcular they had here last year and enjoyed it. As good as it was though, it didn’t
    have the same ‘something‘ as the DW spectaculars held at the Royal Albert hall.
    Which part of Oz do you live in?

Cheers,

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy. I live just north of Adelaide. My old school friend used to live in Perth and so I visited often back before the family arrived. She and her hubby are considering moving back so I might be visiting again in the future. Perth is a lovely city.

I imagine it is hard to beat the sheer thrill of the Royal Albert Hall. I have only seen it from the outside

On a slightly different note yesterday was David Tennant’s birthday. I should remember as it is also my S/O’s birthday. The historical costuming site, Frock Flicks did a blog on him which featured among other historical drama roles Human Nature/Family of Blood and he does indeed look good in a hat. (They have also done blogs on the historical costuming in AGWho though they have not covered the most recent series. Maybe due to a lack of historical stories.)

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb

We lived in Whyalla for three and a half years, before returning to Perth.
    Adelaide is such a pretty city. I remember all the picturesque stalls – do they still have them?

I only went to “A night at the Proms” once, and it was spectacular. Unfortunately, we were here when Doctor Who took it by storm.

Thank you for the info on David Tennant, a very attractive man isn’t he. Mind you, in spite of all the sidelong looks I get from friends, I also find Peter Capaldi atttractive too. I think it’s the part he plays as the Doctor, and the way he plays it.

I shall look the site up on Google.

Cheers,

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy. I agree with you. Capaldi is attractive in a complex way. Watching Listen again yesterday it occurred to me that he has the look of a magician, (of the fantasy kind not the pulling of rabbits from hats variety) I really really do hope he stays for at least one more series after S.M moves on. In fact  I think the Doctor whose tenure he should be emulating is Tom Baker’s. Like Tom he seems to have been born for the role. He is such a perfect fit.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb

“A perfect fit.” Three words which sum up Peter Capaldi.

Yes, he does resemble a magicain, he says so himself in Time Heist. one of my favourites.
    “I was aiming for minimal, but ended up with magician.” Words to that affect. *grins*

He looks more impressive when he wears his orignal oufit, although i don’t mind the maroon coat either.

I too hope for a miracle, and PC stays for at least series 11….PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Missy

Ah fuck it. Another great gone. If this, below, was all she had ever done, then Victoria Wood’s career would have been worth it. But she was so, so, much more.

winston @winston

@pedant       I share your sadness at losing such a brilliant performer. There seemed to be nothing she couldn’t do, music, acting, comedy and writing and so much more. She was a great talent who will be missed. Thanks for the clip.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 1,003 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (8)’ is closed to new replies.