On the sofa

Home Forums General On the sofa

This topic contains 1,040 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  g33kboi 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,040 total)
  • Author
    HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

Footage from the anniversary special has been leaked, and it looks epic !!!!!!!!

… um, not sure why Clara turns out to be a magic pony though …

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@haveyoufedthefish Hahaha 🙂 Dark Doctor was awesome and so was the rainbow power of love magic…

And I think this more or less summarises every Moffatt plot ever. I think the plot of “Journey … ” may actually be stolen from this …

Anonymous @

@HaveYouFedTheFish – that was pretty funny.

I love Alex Kingston and I’m partial to River Song in her first few incarnations, but she is a bit of a DeM.  She’s always smarter than everyone (including the Doctor), better at everything (including flying the Tardis) and always manages to be in the right place at the right time.

Mind, I wouldn’t say no to her hallucinogenic lipstick – would’ve come in handy at many key points in my life.  🙂

It’s her utter and complete trust in the Doctor which is beguiling – my favourite River Song moment is when she throws herself out of the airlock in full evening dress, absolutely sure that the Doctor will pick her up in deep space.  As as per your comedy sketch above, she also always knows when to leave.

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

rycbar

wolfweed @wolfweed

dalek marvin

@bluesqueakpip @pedant

I think we may have actually defined something new in “Chekhovs Duck”, which I’m defining as “a Chekhovs Gun, but whose eventual purpose defies the audiences initial Duck Walk test – i.e. it eventually turns out to not just be cetral to the plot but also something other than what it initially appears to be”

I had a look at http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsGun and I can’t see any entry that matches this exact concept, so I’m going to try to add it.

Off the top of my head, an example to cite could be “the Sword of Shannara” which looks like an ordinary sword, turns out to be the titular magic sword, and eventually turns out not to be a physical weapon at all but a magic talisman.

Can you guys think of any other examples to cite?

(See this site isn’t just fun, we’re doing important academic work)

Basically I love the phrase “Chekhovs Duck” so much I’ve decided to make it my life’s work to introduce it to the common lexicon…

Whisht @whisht

not only important but educational – I had never even heard of Chekhov’s Gun before now!

as for Chekhov’s Duck – inspired!

Well to be – ahem – pedantic a Chekhov’s Duck is s Checkhov’s Gun that looks exactly like a Chekhov’s Gun, and also walks and talks like one.

So I believe you are describing the Chekhov’s Duck Ploy – deploying a Chekhov’s Gun with the intent of misdirection. Basically “LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!!”

The whole idea of the The Chosen One is a Chekhov’s Duck – in the end it was Buffy giving up the “One” bit that won the day.

Anonymous @

Love the Chekhov Duck idea. Anything except DeMs. (The mere mention of which now make my left eye start to twitch like Inspector Dreyfus)…

@pedant – “a Chekhov’s Gun with the intent of misdirection”: essentially yes! But I’d add the proviso “… but still central to the plot” (to disambiguate from Red Herrings)

I sort of had that “chosen one” from Buffy in mind too, but I wasn’t really familiar enough with Buffy to be very confident on it – nice one! Thanks!

Any others?

@jimthefish – Ducks out of the Machine ? I’m all for it, still working on a definition though..

Not to be confused with Ducks Ex Machina

Anonymous @

@pedant – that was masterful.  Take a bow.  😉

If I was a @pedant that should actually be Anates ex Machina (but that’s not a good pun).

Finally putting high school Latin to good use – only took 30 years…

Lets wrap this up : Ducks Eggs Machina !

Anonymous @

@haveyoufedthefish — genius. Absolute genius…

Whisht @whisht

@haveyoufedthefish – brilliant but that’s enough now.

the meme is over.

You’ve jumped the shark.

[oh bugger]

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish – the funny thing about the DeM ::hands over virtual witch hazel for the twitching eye:: – is that the people who complain loudly and repeatedly that any plot device they didn’t see coming is a DeM, dammit! usually can’t spot the real things. Or alternatively, can’t spot the generally rather obvious sign that the writer knew perfectly well they were writing a DeM.

So a Duck Eggs Machina would probably be a Deus Ex Machina written as an actual god riding up the side of a building on his motorbike. Or by a central character being transformed into a glowy goddess by operating a  machine. 😀

Oy! @wolfweed

Looking at that painting

Doesn’t it seem to you like it’s a message to Clara? She’s the one who has to run the ‘You Clever Boy’ program. And remember.

ardaraith @ardaraith

@bluesqueakpip and @wolfweed – It seems the set-up for this week’s ep may potentially lead Clara to ‘remember’ her previous experiences / incarnations.  JLC has hinted that Clara has met the Doctor more than three times. It could be that in one of those instances he told her about the YCB command. ?

And they’ve closed the Graun blog to comments again. Thank you again, @craig, for setting up this lovely site so that we can witter on all week.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Oy! Clara!

File extension YCB (Unknown or unassigned file extension edited by AtoZ) is not a common file format. Use YCB File Repair Software/Program – these easy-to-use tools are quite helpful to open a YCB file, edit a YCB file, play a YCB file, convert a YCB file, run YCB… and subsequently: remember.

The ‘Echo Imprint of the Original’ should also be restored…

If that doesn’t work, lay off the Limbo-Vapour.

( Thanks, @bluesqueakpip )

Craig @craig
    Emperor

No probs @bluesqueakpip is still my pleasure. Can’t believe they shut it on a Tuesday again. Either they sacked all the moderators at Christmas, or even the mods can’t cope with all the madness that nesting brings. I hope it’s the latter 😀

wolfweed @wolfweed

Matured for half a century… This tickled me…..

From Script Writer Cecil Edwin ‘Bunny’ Webber’s  General Notes on Background and Approach (to Dr Who) May? 1963

Was it by means of Dr. Who’s machine that Aladin’s [sic] palace sailed through the air? Was Merlin Dr. Who? Was Cinderella’s Godmother Dr. Who’s wife chasing him through time? Jacob Marley was Dr. Who – slightly tipsy, but what other tricks did he get up to that Yuletide?

Find the full story here:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/

ScaryB @scaryb

Nice links @wolfweed – the pics and the DWNews – reading how our fav show developed is fasciniating – esp when you realise the directions it could have gone.  Biddy, Cliff and LOLA, FFS!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Dan Martin’s Green Death thread is up! Just thought I’d let you all know…

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/may/08/the-green-death-doctor-who-classic-episode

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Beat me to it! I just made my comment on why I’m glad I didn’t see that as a young ‘un.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift – Sorry! Great post ‘there’ by you. I got delayed in doing mine – got there eventually.

It seems that the environmental zeitgeist has passed, & that ‘Eco Friendliness’ is often more about an excuse to make big bucks (e.g. windfarms). However, this story remains as important as ever.

Pass me that box of maggots, would you?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Yes, I agree with you to a large extent. I’m as unlikely to unconditionally believe something a Pressure group says as I am a Corporate spokesperson these days. There is so much bull surrounding the issues and arguments that sorting facts and making decisions becomes harder, when some hard issues need to be made.

Pass me that box of maggots, would you?

Ha – it took my mother about an hour (it seemed a lot longer) to pick the little sods out of my hair and clothes while I screamed my nearly four year lungs out.

As a scientist I should be “Zen” and say I recognise maggots as an astonishing evolutionary tranistory state in the insect life cycle. The important work they do in stripping dead matter and later returing it to the food cycle of so many other species.

But they are still ‘orrible little wriggling bastards to me, and shall be forever more! 😀

WhoHar @whohar

Bonkers theorising seems to have slowed recently, probably down to the ‘arc’ not being progressed in show in the last two episodes. Hoping Mr. Gaiman will give us a treat, and some more clues.

Hoping Mr. Gaiman will give us a treat, and some more clues.

@whohar – or lead us straight into the finale. 😯

WhoHar @whohar

@bluesqueakpip

Yes, that would be splendid – and Gaiman could do it – but I suspect more clues (or possibly one big clue / partial reveal).

Would settle for just the “treat” part however.

wolfweed @wolfweed

bla

stiner282 @stiner282

ok so slight spoilers for season 6:

Ok soooo if people kill the silence as soon as they see them and forget them as soon as they look away, wouldn’t there just be a bunch of dead aliens laying around that no one can remember? If so wouldn’t it be whenever you “tripped on nothing” technically you probably just tripped on a silence?…….just saying

Anonymous @

Hello and welcome @stiner282!  Glad to have you join us.  It’s not spoilerish at all if it’s about prior shows – it simply adds to the bonkers theorising for which this comfy site is famous.  (But if you do have a spoiler for a future show, please put that into the ‘Spoilers’ thread.)

Day of the Moon is fading in my memory so I can’t remember if they addressed the conundrum of dead Silence.  But having just ‘tripped on nothing’ walking my dogs earlier, I rather like your explanation!

CraigNixon @craignixon

Quick question, looking through Wiki (avoiding work!) and came across this paragraph about the Time War

the Master, renegade Time Lord and nemesis to the Doctor, as they believed him to be the “perfect warrior for a time war”. It’s implied that they gave him a full new set of regenerations as was done to all Time Lords fighting in the war, and that the Eye of Harmony could be used as a means to gain more regenerations. However, after the Dalek Emperor gained control of the Cruciform, the Master deserted his post, used the chameleon arch to disguise himself as a human and escaped to a time period shortly before the end of the universe. Genetically a human, he escaped the destruction of all Time Lords as well as detection by the Doctor – who was unaware of his resurrection in the first place. The Master also remained ignorant of the latter phase and outcome of the war until told by the Doctor many years later.”

That bit about new regenerations, I can’t remember anything about that. Can anyone shed a light?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craignixon

It’s largely concerned with “The Deadly Assassin” (Tom Baker) where The Master was said to have used his regenerations up. He tried to steal the icons of the President that would enable him to absorb the energy of the Eye. In “The Five Doctors” the Time Lords offer him a new set of regenerations if he helps The Doctor, although they don’t specify how they would do it. Perhaps though multiple donations of energy from many TimeLords as we’ve subsequently seen River do for the Doctor?

ScaryB @scaryb

Dead Silence is an interesting thought. If they don’t just dissolve or turn to dust, there could be a lot of invisible bodies lying about. That’s a big H&S concern surely – I think we should be told!! The Doctor should have thought that through properly! And if you still don’t remember them when they’re dead that suggests it’s an actual physical attribute rather than a mental one.

Thanks to everyone who’s previewing the potenital spoilers – very much appreciated

@stiner282 As @Shazzbot says, anything dealing with a story or series before the current episode is  not a spoiler

@craignixon Re the master’s regenerations – he chose not to use them at the end of End of Time and is drawn into the timelock with the rest of the Timelords

Okay, so now we know what the Doctor does when he’s in need of money….

http://www.tardishire.co.uk/

They’re bigger on the inside. And big on the insides 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip Can’t imagine the BBC licensed that

They missed a trick though – why didn’t they paint them blue (with little flashing lights on the top, for when they’re occupied  LOL).  Poorly thought out – deserves to get busted! 😈

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

That is really taking the piss. I’ve met one of the people in the contact list before (years ago when he worked somewhere else). He deserves to be busted.

I think I might write a joke letter to Trading Standards:

Dear Sirs,

I recently approached the company “Tardis Hire” which I believe lies under your area of juristiction.

When enquiring about the availability of a Type 40 TARDIS for a weekend jaunt to Metabilis 3, I was astonished to be informed that they do not provide this service. I believe this to be a clear misrepresentation under the Advertising (Provision of Goods & Services) Regulations and I hope you will investigate further.

Yours, etc

Mr. P. Shift.

wolfweed @wolfweed

seuss

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@EveryoneNew Gosh – so many new sign-ups!  How marvellous.

Welcome, welcome, have a jelly-baby why don’t you.

See you all here and on Dan’s blog on The Guardian after Nightmare in Silver. We generally hop between the two places in the first couple of days post episode,  then settle in here, like lively thinky doormice, and chew theories together and nest (but without the nesting)!

Any new fish please report to the temple of @holymackerel for indoctrination 🙂

imnorealdoctor @imnorealdoctor

hmmmm, i really fancy putting a bid on this full size tardis for my garden. shall i do it ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-size-police-box-TARDIS-/261213949090?pt=UK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyCollectables_EH&hash=item3cd1908ca2

over 3grand brand new looks like a bargain.

trudawg @trudawg

Hello!

Whisht @whisht

Hi all, actually, though I mentioned about posting spoilers in the NiS thread, I’m probably on the “bit precious” end of the scale when it comes to spoilers, so rather than spoil any fun, I’ll probably stick to the sofa and music threads until after the next show.

As I say, I’m on the stick-fingers-in-the-ears-and-not-watch-trailers end of the spectrum, so don’t want to skew anything!

oh – and Hi @trudawq!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Chancellor George Osborne  just claimed to have brought Star Wars back to Britain. Cringeworthy! Warwick Davies featured on 2nd vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbTzklJfusw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MD0-LpNuik

Anonymous @

Hello @trudawg– and welcome!  Please join the latest episode (Nightmare in Silver) thread and let us know your own bonkers theories about what’s going on this series.

If you’re totally new, have a butcher’s at the Crimson Horror thread because there’s some amazing stuff there.

wolfweed @wolfweed

f t

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,040 total)

The topic ‘On the sofa’ is closed to new replies.