The Dæmons part 2

Home Forums Episodes The Third Doctor The Dæmons part 2

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bluesqueakpip 9 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

The Master has summoned Azal. On opening the tomb door The Doctor and the Professor have been frozen to death. Captain Yates and Sergeant Benton from UNIT rush to the site via helicopter and spot giant hoof marks across the countryside.

All Hell seems to be breaking loose.

The Brigadier is soon rushing to Devil’s End himself, only to encounter some mysterious problems getting there.

Remember, we’re watching this as it was first shown, one episode at a time, so NO SPOILERS for future episodes.

The Dæmons is available on DVD for only £5.99 from the BBC:

http://www.bbcshop.com/doctor-who/doctor-who-the-daemons-dvd/invt/bbcdvd3383

janetteB @janetteb

It seemed to be bit of a story stretcher episode. Lot of “something big is happening” music without much actually appearing to happen other than Jo Grant screaming. It wasn’t her finest moment when the Doctor was stricken down. Despite those criticisms I really enjoyed the episode and found it very hard to resist the temptation to watch the next. I do like the slow pace at which the story unfolds.

Cheers

Janette.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

I kind of agree with @janetteb – this one seems like a story stretcher. Having set up that Devil’s End is genuinely dangerous, with a dead archaeologist and an Ice-Doctor, there’s then a lot of getting the gang together. Not to mention a certain amount of plot induced stupidity – I think I’d be happier with Mike Yates if there’d been mention of a platoon following by road.

Possibly they couldn’t afford more than a couple of UNIT extras in the episode. Between the helicopter shots, the three cameras on location so they could make the most of their time, and the exploding van, this episode felt surprisingly expensive.

Minor notes from the commentary. The director noted that he’d directed John Levene very badly when he was rescuing Miss Hawthorne; he goes immediately to the chest she’s tied up in. And this episode was recovered in black and white, then painstakingly re-colourised by a restoration team.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.