The Next Doctor

Home Forums General The Next Doctor

This topic contains 924 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 925 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

This U-Turn has ruined my Sunday. I shall have to take up smoking & pacing up & down until we know that the new Dr is in safe  hands…

m c

@scaryb @timeloop

What makes you think this announcement hasn’t been completely planned and managed? Looks very planned to me. 

It was definitely not a planned leak – the plan for a shock regeneration has been royally fucked by oh-so-pompous Ian Levine.

@Bluesqueakpip

Hmpf Our bonkers theory!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@pedant – sorry. Definitely OUR bonkers theory. 😳

Timeloop @timeloop

@pedant Curious that quite a bunch of people knew about it and Ian was the only one who felt the urge to ruin it.

Despite my theory, the idea of Idris Elba as the Doctor is awesome – @scaryb

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I’ve said before I’d love to see Chiwetel Ejiofor in the role. He was asked about it on the Andrew Marr show in 2011 if he would be tempted back from the US by the role and basically smiled and didn’t rule it out.

He’s great. I think if they wanted a more “still” Doctor after Matt, the kind of intensity he took as his Operative character in Serenity would be perfect, but he is really funny in some roles as well.

wolfweed @wolfweed

il p  ‘You can rely on me. My lips are sealed.’

“In his spare time, Mr Levine generously divulges the exact nature and number of their Christmas presents to small children. He will also give advance notice of any surprise birthday parties that might be in your immediate future.”

Whisht @whisht

It’s a fair point about the leak.

I mean, they sent a couple hundred DVDs out by mistake and still managed to keep a lid on it.

Thankfully American fans have more sense, than some self-important fans.

ScaryB @scaryb

That’s pretty sh*tty of Mr Levine just so he can have the personal satisfaction of being first with the news. If anything it doubles the pressure on the next actor. Well, @IanLevine is definitely not someone I’ll be following on Twitter. Boo!  Love the pic and caption @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

So was Matt’s promise of doing series 8 a lie to misdirect, or has Hollywood suddenly worked out for him & changed his mind?
    m sun

Timeloop @timeloop

@wolfweed He DID say something like that, didn’t he?#

@Bluesqueakpip

“In his spare time, Mr Levine generously divulges the exact nature and number of their Christmas presents to small children. He will also give advance notice of any surprise birthday parties that might be in your immediate future.”

Love it! Did you come up with it or did you nick it somewhere?

topperofgallifrey @topperofgallifrey

I vote Hugh Laurie!!! Who else votes for him?

ScaryB @scaryb

@timeloop @bluesqueakpip

It’s his manifesto!

😉

@timeloop – I made it up.

What I’d like to say would probably require a quick run through the PG-rated TARDIS translation matrix before I could post it on a family forum. 😈

Timeloop @timeloop

@Bluesqueakpip Totally with you ^^.  And I dont think we are alone on this one (even outside this forum)

wolfweed @wolfweed

What I want to know is – Is there a helpline? You get them when boy bands (& girl bands) split up. I’m not exactly suicidal but I am a bit upset. And I’d feel a bit silly phoning the Samaritans about this…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

A bit more of a conventional choice perhaps, but fits in with the idea of someone with a lower profile, when I was watching the last series of “Being Human”, I thought Damien Molony (who played vampire Hal) would be an interesting choice. Very funny with his OCD tendencies but able to flip into darkness very quickly.

Someone compiled some of their favourite clips of him in thw video below. Doesn’t really do justice to the range he showed, but you might get the idea.

Anonymous @

As far as shock news goes, this isn’t really…

But to throw in my tenpence worth, I think an ‘older’ Doctor is out of the question. There hasn’t really been one since 1974 and Moff has gone on record as saying that Who ‘is a young man’s game these days’. I’d say it’s pretty likely that we’re going to have our first female Doctor. It might be JLC but I doubt it. I personally favour Julia Davies these days.

I’ve no objection to a black Doctor either but most of the suggestions I’ve seen — including the ones above are just not Doctorish enough for me. The Doctor is boffin-ish, intellectual rather than physical and most of the suggestions are just too ‘masculine’ in their physicality. Eccleston barely got away with it. I don’t think the show could venture any further away from Doctorishness than he did and the part still be the same.

I think it’s a fair cert that the part’s already been cast anyway. We’re now in the realm of managed dripfeed of information from the Beeb to keep the show in the public eye till November territory now…

EDIT…

OK, so not planned then. Ian Levine, what a twat. But if we’re talking about filming for S8 starting in August, I think it’s fairly certain that the part has been cast and a long time since. I don’t think Moffatt would have been writing scripts for a new Doctor without knowing exactly who he had in mind…

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish (and others) Agreed, I think it’s highly likely the new Dr was confirmed when BBC announced series 8 is confirmed (with Moff staying on (once he comes out of his current (highly justified) huff!)). I’m sure from a writer/showrunner perspective the arc is carefully planned from 7 into the 50th and into 8.   Ian Levine is supposed to be an uberfan as well 👿

wolfweed @wolfweed

Having had a look at them, I don’t think any of the bookies favourites have a hope in hell of becoming the next Dr. You’re probably better just throwing some cash down a drain. David Beckham has just retired from football though, so…

Although I probably don’t think that  Idris Elba is right for the role, I did love him in Thor.

Charlie Cook @charlie-cook

Speculation of a female Doctor isn’t new. Many years ago, in the original series,  Kate O’Mara was being talked about as a new Doctor…

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Speculation is no doubt entirely futile, but it’s such fun.  More fun, more interesting, and without the risk of libel action that the other current ‘who?’ question involves.

I’d be delighted with a woman doctor.  Olivia Colman is not quite right, however much I love her.   Suranne Jones is the Tardis so ruled out (presumably) on those grounds.  However, if we can’t have Bailey, what about Scott?  Or what about Vicky McClure?  Or Miranda Richardson?

Other tempting possibilities I’ve not seen listed elsewhere  – Tom Hiddleston, Stephen Moyer,

And cheers to @phaseshift for Damien Moloney

Not going to put any actual money on any of these.  That would just be silly.

Charlie Cook @charlie-cook

Scene 42: SM rushes into the Dr Who offices.

“Those people on the Dr Who forum are getting dangerously close to the solution for the 50th anniversary episode. Release the story about Matt leaving to distract them…”

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Someone else likes Damian Molony as well. Digital Spy have a “who should play the 12th Doctor” article up and he’s in it. Didn’t realise he wanted the role:

“The Doctor is one of the most iconic parts for an actor to play, up there with Sherlock Holmes [and] James Bond, it is such an epic series. Following in the footsteps of so many great actors, it would be an honour to play The Doctor…”

The list actually features some interesting choices. Daniel Rigby and Harry Lloyd (Baines in Family of Blood) are interesting thoughts.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a486420/doctor-who-matt-smith-departs-who-should-play-the-12th-time-lord.html

Miss.DeLarge @miss-delarge

hm…I’m assuming whoever it it, it’s not very likely to be someone older. It just wouldn’t suit the dynamics of the series anymore. I’d welcome someone a bit older than Matt, though. I’ve always seen Matt as “The kid’s doctor” whereas CE and DT appealed to an older audience. I think it’s very difficult to keep a balance. So yea, I can’t suggest any names, yet , but I feel  it’ll be someone fairly unknown.

Anonymous @

Forgot to say that I’m very sorry to see Matt go. The best Doctor I reckon, bar none. Well, until the next one maybe…

I’d put good money on the anniversary episode finishing on a regeneration cliffhanger now though…

rema @rema

No idea about who it might be but after the inspired choices of Tennant and Smith I’m confident that the choice will be unexpected, relatively little known and surprisingly brilliant. However I do think that Matt has filmed his regeneration and it will begin at the end of the 50th, it would be fitting but more importantly has anyone seen the state of his hair. I did wonder how they were going to cope with his skinhead! Now it reads as a drastic haircut after being released from the constraints of a no cut contract, in the same way as Emma Watson chopped her hair after Potter finished. I know it was for a role but was surprised he’d been allowed, now however I think it’s not an issue.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Tilda Swinton? Eddie Redmayne? Oliver Lansley?

Will Merrick (from NIS) certainly has the look…
    w m

Probably somebody tall…

Miss.DeLarge @miss-delarge

what I’m really afraid about:  The Doctor is supposed to only have 13 regenerations…does that mean the end of Doctor Who?  :0

Anonymous @

@craig – who is Ian Levine?  Why are you following him on Twitter?  And why weren’t you called in as the talking head by BBC as per @wolfweed ‘s news clip?  🙂  http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/the-next-doctor/page/2/#post-11659

@phaseshift (and tangentially Craig too, who posted the Mirror link to current odds of next Doctor casting) – I thought Damien Moloney was excellent in Being Human, and I would probably implode with joy if Ben Whishaw were to be cast – Ben is so frighteningly good an actor that he could do simply anything with the character and be utterly compelling.  (and as Craig’s link pointed out, his hair is indeed world-class  😆 )  http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-rupert-grint-russell-1927048

However … we’ve had two fairly good-looking youngish men with fabulous (brown) hair cast as the Doctor recently.  It would be nice to change the template now, before that becomes seen as ‘standard’ and therefore harder to deviate from in the future.  (even if it means I’m nixing Damien and Ben as possibilities for such a trivial reason)

misspawsintime @misspawsintime

whoever said hi up threads, hi

I am still sulking!!! Matt s leaving but also possibility of waiting a year or more for series eight?????

I am still of the opinion that the new dr will be an unknown and due to the nature of its commitments want be an older pews on. Just because dr who is such an international show nowadays it’s a young mans roles nowadays. Am I right in saying that Jlc has has the least time with a existing dr ? We only just began to see the chemistry between them in their roles

Despite all speculation I suspect the  actor taking over already knows. How can they be writing scripts without some forknowledge?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@miss.DeLarge  Don’t worry – The caretakers of Dr Who have promised a simple ‘maguffin’ will be invented to get us past that particular hurdle. Also, the Master was offered a whole new regeneration cycle in 1983’s ‘The Five Doctors’, so we know it’s possible…

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – it’s interesting in your DigitalSpy link, that every single mooted actor fits the ‘good-looking with fab brown hair’ template, except Will Merrick – who is ginger.

I have never understood the British obsession with mocking people with red hair; in the States, they’re considered quite delectable.  Will’s certainly not conventionally handsome, but that was the initial problem with many people of Matt Smith, and it’s through his remarkable playing of the role that we have grown to love him and see him as extraordinarily good-looking (well, that might be just me  🙂  ).  It would certainly be Quite Interesting if a non-conventionally attractive ‘ginger’ (well, at least as per British standards) – male or female – were cast as the next Doctor.

It might even have the effect of shifting British culture into seeing red-heads as desirable!

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot Given the running ‘Still not ginger!’ gag, the Doctor really wants to be ginger. In fact, if you believe the novelisation of ‘Battlefield’, not only will a future Dr be ginger, he’ll also wear an Afghan coat and be Merlin in another dimension…

Ed Sheeran has been the ambassador for strawberry blondes since Catherine Tate & Rupert Grint retired. So much so that us Brits now tolerate these ‘carrot tops’ being in our country. As you say, the flame-haired are very big in America. We Brits must have something to be bigoted about, though…

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot  In fact, gingerism in this country has been quelled so much, I’m quite surprised that Adele isn’t the bookies favourite!

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – “We Brits must have something to be bigoted about, though…”  😆

@janetteb“John Noble, but being Australian I think he is automatically out”
    @whisht‘loads of planets have a south!’  {good comeback!}

@ everyone about a non-British actor – Let me start with Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors.  Decent English accent (to my ears), but during the entire movie my brain was saying ‘that’s Gwyneth Paltrow talking in an English accent!’  Severe dissonance which is not conducive to accepting – or believing – the actor’s characterisation; much less, being able to experience the movie, outside an appreciation for her dialect coach.

I know that Hugh Laurie has had outrageous success in the US with ‘House’ in an American accent; but not to put too fine a point on it, the majority of Americans didn’t know Hugh Laurie from a combine harvester.  So, they accepted him as a previously unknown American actor.  Gwyneth Paltrow was already known as American on this side of the pond so her English accent was noteworthy – to the detriment of the movie, imo.

Any non-Brit hired to play the Doctor should be not very well-known in this country, simply so that cognisant dissonance isn’t an issue.

<snark> But if a non-Brit is hired to play the Doctor then I am quitting the show FOR GOOD AND WILL NEVER RETURN.  😆  <end snark>

chickenelly @chickenelly

Someone upstream mentioned Damien Lewis – well he’s sort of busy in Homeland.  However I’ve always thought his wife was a better actor.  Unfortunately we’ve already seen her as the baddie in Vampires of Venice, but with a bit of judicious hairdressing she could sneak back in.

As for Ben Whishaw, curiously enough I was convinced that he was going to be the Eleven.  Then they announced Matt Smith.

Anonymous @

@chickenelly – I too, seem to remember something about Ben Whishaw’s name being floated around for the post-Tennant Doctor.  I’m not on Twitter or Facebook or anything, nor at the time was I sucked into the dark side of bonkers theorising ( ! ) , so goodness knows how even *I* heard that rumour.

Do you share my devoted love to Ben Whishaw as the most amazing actor of our times?  And what a Doctor he could make.  What astonishing depths he could bring to the role, what amazing little bits of business with gestures, facial expressions, vocal tones he could delight us with.

As to previous appearances in the programme obviating one’s future casting in a pivotal role – well, both Freema and Karen had guest appearances prior to being cast as companions.  Granted, their roles were not as big as the Big Fish of Venice, but I don’t think that can be counted as a theory-deflator.

Pufferfish @pufferfish

No woman doctor while Moffat is in charge because: “I have CLEAVAGE now. Cleavage is cool!” Under another show-runner, perhaps, and then the actress would have to be someone clever and weird like Zawe Ashton.

I’d probably implode if Ben Wishaw was chosen/said yes, too, @Shazzbot: I keep checking the guy’s IMDB and Wiki pages for new work, like a dork, and so far there’s nothing booked in that would clash with DW Series 8 (except for winning a BAFTA, being shy/allegedly closeted, etc). Staying with unruly Jesus and Mary Chain-type hair, we also have Richard Ayoade as a possible (I don’t think Patterson Joseph is the right guy, because if they ever do cast a POC, he’ll be tall and thin). Damien Molony is completely fantastic as well, but possibly a tiny bit young. Being Human was the job he won a week out of drama college, and perhaps the next showrunner would be a better fit for him. Leaving aside these guys, all ectomorphs, I thought Rory Kinnear or Rafe Spall might be good (particularly the latter).

Anonymous @

@ myself  ‘cognisant dissonance’ ???

‘cognitive dissonance’ of course.  My copious use of the ‘edit’ feature still shows a lack of the most basic ability to correct bizarre neologisms.  {will try harder … }

I will worship the idea of Ben Whishaw in the role of the Doctor.  And I will celebrate a female Doctor being cast, or a ginger (@wolfweed, there is a MASSIVE difference between a ‘strawberry blond(e)’ and a ‘ginger’ – although I take your point about ‘carrot-top’ for the latter ** ), or a non-white person.

But please oh please oh please, let him/her be British.  Or unknown as an actor in Britain.  Because I don’t want the spend the next X years of the new Doctor, mentally thinking ‘was that a good British accent?  do I not know, not being a native Brit?  how does that accent compare to everyone else in the episode?’   Gaaaahhhhh!

** Being the spawn of two very red-headed people, yet being a ‘dirty strawberry blonde’ (quiet down at the back) myself, I have no illusions as to the difference between full-on carrot-toppedness and mildly reddish hair tones in Britain.  🙂

topperofgallifrey @topperofgallifrey

I think High Laurie should be the next Doctor. Who do u think?

Whisht @whisht

@topperofgallifrey – in a word, No.

Stephen Fry on the other hand….

A Bit of Doctor and the Companion?

I’ve just had a small wee.

Whisht @whisht

Now, if I was being mischievous (me??!? But I’m the most erudite and serious of commenters!!) I’d wonder whether we’re a big enough forum to spread a rumour to cause some disquiet in Whodom.

Y’know, nothing that would cause harm or anythng, but maybe just a few burst capillaries or something.

We’d delete this post, but, for instance, we could include in the Spoilers thread how we *know* that Julian Clary has been cast as Doc 12. Easy to photoshop a tweet thread like the one Craig posted and say it must’ve been ‘taken down’.

“Plot. Moffat. Gay. RTD. why oh why. Bastards” – as my bingo words.

btw – the last time I wanted to spread a rumour was “Hoxton glue scene”, to riff on all this 80’s nostalgic fashion.

aw, c’mon, its a long time till November….

wolfweed @wolfweed

The new Dr should definitely be played by Pudsey from BGT or that dog from The Artist. Otherwise the BBC could be accused of being species-ist. Or by a talking cabbage. Or by some kind of mineral.

Seriously though, the Dr doesn’t have any control over the choice of body he gets. So even though we now know that TimeLords can become TimeLadies & vice-versa, the Dr doesn’t choose. Other Timefolk can control the change but the Dr hasn’t learnt how (yet). Maybe that’s why he’s stayed a Caucasian male every time (so far).

(Why do I I sound like Alf Garnett trying to justify the BBCs bigotry?) (I’m not Gingerist either!)

Whisht @whisht

ok – if not Julian Clary, Alan Carr? (I had put Paul O’Grady, but actually he’s not such a bad call).

There are probably better bad examples…

Do you think we could convince the eejit that put the tweet up in the first place?

Make him look an even bigger twat?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Who is Ian Levine? Ian Levine is a ****. And I don’t follow him on Twitter. I just heard about the rumours, then it was actually a post by @lula on the Spoilers topic that pointed me in the right direction of the source.

You can read more about him on Wikipedia if you really want. My favourite bit is this though:

An unofficial continuity consultant [on Doctor Who] during the early 1980s, some observers have speculated that the Abzorbaloff monster played by Peter Kay in the Doctor Who episode “Love & Monsters” was based on Levine and reflects his role in fandom.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

In fact it doesn’t seem like RTD likes him very much at all…

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/?p=4430

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot As for being on the news I nominate @phaseshift @jimthefish or @bluesqueakpip to represent us in 4 or 5 years time when we’re the biggest Doctor Who Forum on the net 😀

Anonymous @

@craig – from your ‘Off the Telly’ link:  “RTD: Ian, no offence, you’re not a journalist, so fuck off.”   😆  Well, I’m happy with that as a reason to continue to discount anything he says.  But it doesn’t answer my question of who he is …

And how much stock do we put into Wikipedia?  Especially since any sneaky re-edits could have happened since last night.  Eg, what is an ‘unofficial continuity consultant’?  A snark which means ‘someone’s next-door neighbour’, i.e, he hasn’t any actual connection with the show?

I was told off for including the Absorbaloff in a list of ‘rubbish monsters’ because it was the creation of a BBC prize-winning child.  Yet your Wiki quote includes speculation that said monster was based on the c**t that is Ian Levine.

My intention is not to prolong the notoriety of IL; I’m just still confused as to who he is and how he got wind of a mis-sent internal BBC email.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 925 total)

The topic ‘The Next Doctor’ is closed to new replies.