The Next Doctor

Home Forums General The Next Doctor

This topic contains 924 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 925 total)
  • Author
    janetteB @janetteb

I am glad that there has been no announcement to date because I am enjoying the discussion here so much I hope it continues for a few more pages at least.

I hope RK is not the next doctor, not because I dislike him, (well he’s an actor, with the exception of C.B. one likes or dislikes the character not the actor unless he/she is particulary bad) I think he would be a solid, predictable Doctor, but not an exciting or daring choice. IT would be rather like casting Peter Davison after Tom Baker.

I am still hoping, that whoever is cast, it will be an unknown or relatively unknown actor.

Cheers

Janette

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@everyone – yes, it’s either Rory Kinnear – or, the fact that he’s worked with Mark Gattiss means he’s okay with his name being put out as a decoy. Which is what he said back in April.

But if it is Rory Kinnear, then what on earth is going on at the BBC? They managed to keep the casting of Matt Smith secret for several weeks; this time the blu-ray was sent out early, Matt’s departure was leaked, and now the identity of the new Doctor is leaked before he’s even had a chance to accept or decline? If he has been offered the role, he is now under intense pressure to accept.  If RK decides not to take it, he’s going to be forever known as ‘the actor who turned down the Twelfth Doctor’ and whatever actor takes the role will be known as ‘the second choice’. 

Seriously, is there nobody there who can keep their mouths shut, or do they all simply hate Steven Moffat? Because if Rory Kinnear has genuinely been offered the role, and his name’s been leaked before his decision was made, that’s just appalling. Appalling, and utterly unprofessional. All these leaks: if this is genuine, there are people at the BBC who need to get fired.

So I hope his name was put out there as a decoy, with his permission. That would be better than thinking that the BBC is now so slipshod, employees are happy to leak confidential negotiations to the daily papers.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@jwalker– it’s an interesting argument- that it’s not that the Doctor is ‘fundamentally male’, but that he has qualities which are, just as erroneously I think, not associated with men, or not on screen.

@scaryb re: role models, one thing that interests me is how feminism actually grew in this country at the time when the dissolution of the monasteries, and then the rise of parliamentary ‘democracy’ had removed women from traditional positions of power in the country. (No Abbesses etc, no Queen Consorts, a Queen regnant without much if any political power, the power of the aristocracy increasingly tied in with parliament). So women couldn’t aspire to, even daydream about being a powerful women, they could only look at men. (Of course women did run businesses, usually as widows, but they had no direct ‘legitimate’ political influence). At the same time, again due to the rise of parliamentary ‘democracy’, men increasingly could find role models, from all classes.

I think the thing with DW, is that it started from scratch once. It might have seemed unlikely at one point that any children could ‘relate’ to and find a role model in an older man. And when they put someone younger in, maybe to help younger audiences to relate, they used a female character. So I don’t think it’s the big jump that some people think it is. But I do get the argument that we already have quite a few badass, serious fighting-skills heroines, but not many heroes that are anything but. I don’t know, though, if we should stop assuming that children take things quite as literally as we tend to think they do. There is no brain better designed for learning than a child’s brain.

elwingt @elwingt

I’ve been following the discussion here and enjoying the discussion and debate. As to the choice of actor/actress for the next Doctor, I don’t have any particular choices or ideas. Not being from the UK, I don’t quite know actors who are not very popular or known beyond the shores. And I do hope the next Doctor is someone who is relatively unknown.

As to the Doctor’s gender, I just wanted to put my two cents in. I do think the Doctor is pan-sexual and I like that idea. As a woman I do rather have a soft corner for male doctors, this is a blurry line since I fancy Smith. But I am quite prepared to have a female Doctor. It’s kind of in canon that this sort of a regeneration is possible and I think it would be exciting to see what can happen with this.

My major concern is, as someone upthread pointed out, how the actress playing the Doctor would be able to distinguish herself from River. I do think it’s possible, but it will be a huge task for whoever the actress might be.

The other thing I just wanted to chime in about was ‘women in sci-fi’. One of the programs to really address this in the best way possible I think was ‘Battlestar Galactica’. They did this brilliant thing that a lot of people forget to do, treat women like people. They successfully changed two very popular male roles into female and didn’t address it with any fuss, but just created these really strong characters who just happened to be women.

The president in Battlestar Galactica is actually my favorite female character in a sci-fi universe. The women in BSG are in turns heroic, cowardly, weak, strong, flawed and just people. The best kind of story-telling in my opinion.

Doctor Who has some great women in it too. And some great men who are also gender-bending in their own way (Jack is pan-sexual, Rory is in a typically female job and is the more nurturing of the couple). I don’t think the team are particularly shrugging their duties of dealing with gender in sci-fi. But they are so high-profile and dealing with a commodity that is pretty much a national treasure for a country, so I guess they are reluctant to push the envelope in directions that might alienate some of the audience.

I’m actually looking fwd to JLC next season (I personally don’t think she’ll be the next Doctor), but I really want to see how they develop her, now that she is the Doctor’s savior of sorts. I think that’s pretty exciting. I’ve never heard of Rory Kinnear. But I have faith 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

esp the question that suggested approx 20% of people thought it was important the Dr is English actor. Considering that 2 of them have been Scottish!

Yes, funny wasn’t it? I’m beginning to wonder if it’s too late in the day to see if we can’t start a new “Doctor Who regeneration rage” meme?

Doctor Who is “thunderously” regionalist says Doctor Who Forum

The Doctor Who Forum has reviewed the hysterical press speculation regarding the Next Doctor. Worthy causes such as “the next Doctor should be a woman” and “the next Doctor should be black” have been mentioned, but our blood has boiled for our Celtic cousins as a huge injustice has been omitted. The next Doctor should obviously be Welsh.

Despite being centred and filmed in Cardiff, the programme itself is clearly anti-Welsh. Let’s look at the evidence:

No Welsh actor has ever been cast as the Doctor. A huge injustice considering we have 2 Scots and 9 English Actors.

Welsh actors are regularly used as evil characters. Yes, some of our brightest acting talent has fallen into the trap of portraying the Welsh as evil fiends. A continuing form of propaganda since the Roman invasion of these isles. Michael Sheen as the voice of “House”, Jonathan Pryce as an ineffectual Master? Philip Madoc was cast as a villain in three stories, and as an amoral character in the Dalek Invasion of Earth film!

Welsh stereotypes. The Welsh are only good for drilling and mining (“The Green Death”, “Cold Blood”), sing a lot (“A Christmas Carol”) and make stupid decisions like shooting harmless Silurians or being easily captured by them. These crass stereotypes must stop!

We therefore present an all Welsh lineup for your consideration:

The Time Lord Chameleon – Michael Sheen An actor who could deliver a complex Doctor by being each of his predecessors in turn, and something else at the same time.

The Dangerous Doctor – Rhys Ifans A darker Doctor for darker times. May let the PR machine down by reducing journalists to tears if they ask him “which was your favourite Doctor”.

The Cosmic Joker – Rob Brydon His convivial easy going charm may mask a dark obsessive madness. Keep him away from Ronnie Corbett impersonations, and he’d be great.

The Rising Star – Iwan Rheon As Simon in Misfits, he was a hit, and dealt with a very timey-wimey plot to boot!

The Unknown – Aneurin Jones An actor so unknown that we’ve made him up for this article!

SORT IT OUT BBC!

ScaryB @scaryb

re the Rory Kinnear speculation – Den of Geek has this to say, based on previous experience

@miapstrick role models are important and they need to be visible. If you don’t see people you can identify with in key roles, it’s easy to assume it’s not for you.  (See my earlier post about sexism/racism accusations re Dr Who). It’s not just about the actors, it’s about seeing those people in the creative team too.  It doesn’t have to be about going down the positive discrimination road, but it does mean pro-actively seeking out and inviting applications from the widest possible pool.

I’d love to see a female Dr, just to see where they could take that, but not desperate for it at the moment from a role model POV – women are quite widely represented, for the moment anyway, especially when you include the Paternoster Gang. The really important thing is to keep the Dr as a non-violent, cross-species embracing, slight outsider role model – bad-ass in a different way.

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift – LOL (esp “the Unknown”)

So how do you suggest we get it out there…?

CraigNixon @craignixon

I imagine Moffat is walking around the BBC with a rather large stick at the moment.
    They are either leaking the info on purpose / making stories up to keep it in the public eye or as @bluesquekpip states, there’s somebody need-a-firing at the BBC

wolfweed @wolfweed
    janetteB @janetteb

@phaseshift A welsh Doctor with a welsh accent. (love Welsh accents. Being Australian I love most British accents.) Umm just as long as it isn’t Rhys Ifans. Not sure I’m so keen on Rob Brydon (despite the name, it being my grandmother’s and all). Anyway shouldn’t he be Scottish? (She was.) He isn’t very, fanciable. I’ll settle for a very talented young unknown Welsh actor who is in need of a career boost. Gender and skin colour optional but the next Doctor must be Welsh.

Cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

dai

If the next Doctor is to be Welsh, might I suggest Dai Station, the Station Master from Ivor the Engine.

Then all the enemies & monsters can continue their famous cries of, ”Dai, Doctor, Dai!”

PlymouthHerald @plymouthherald

Here’s a few new names you may not have considered… Could the next Doctor be from Plymouth?

Ubik @ubik

Plimuff, shurely? All those maids too …

Plymouth – well, I wouldn’t mind seeing Tom Daley dive into the TARDIS swimming pool 😀

HTPBDET @htpbdet

Posted by Craig in HTPBDET’s absence

Hello everyone! Thanks to everyone who sent well wishes – they were greatly appreciated.

Slowly returning to the land of the living… but will be a while yet.

Finally got to see Name of the Doctor last Sunday.

I will say no more than I liked a lot of it a lot.

I am not sure when I will get access to technology for long enough to read everyone’s thoughts and theories (although I have read a few things my nephews have printed out).

For what it is worth, I doubt the BBC will opt for a female Doctor, but if they do I hope its Nicola Walker. I also doubt they will opt for a black actor, but if they do, I hope its David Oyelowo. And if it is the usual youngish white male, then one of Andrew Scott, Andrew Buchan, Max Bennett and Tom Mison would be my choice (in that order); if they go for slightly older, then Paul Ritter or Ben Miles.

I have no issues with Rory Kinnear – he is a marvellous and mercurial actor. But he would not be my first choice.

What I think I would love them to do is give us a fabulous sexy female Master – Helen Mirren can definitely play that!

More importantly, have I got the possibilities for John Hurt covered in this list:

1. He is the older version of Doctor 8, the one who sealed the Time War?
    2. He is the real Doctor 9, we all having wrongly assumed Eccelston was Doctor 9?
    3. He is Doctor 0, the original, before the Hartnell incarnation became the First Doctor?
    4. He is the final Doctor, the last regeneration, and he is the one who left the tomb on Trenzalore so that this can all happen and somehow give the Doctor a new lease or new leases of life and avert his timeline?
    5. He is the Great Intelligence affected Doctor who did things in the name of the Great Intelligence?

What have I missed?

@htpbdet – I think you’ve hit it on the head with Rory Kinnear. I was thinking about it yesterday, and ended with the conclusion that he’s the decoy for exactly that reason. He’s an excellent actor – and I’d give his Doctor a try – but I’ve seen a lot of his work, and he would never be my first choice for the Doctor.

Nicola Walker would be good – and she’s worked with Steven Moffat before. David Oyelowo would also be good – but isn’t he living in Los Angeles right now? Andrew Scott is more the Master; Andrew Buchan – dunno. He strikes me as a bit too ‘solid’, somehow.

I agree that the most likely obstacle to a black or female Doctor is the BBC upper management.

Re: John Hurt – you’ve missed out – he’s the Thirteenth Doctor, the Doctor all those ominous prophecies are about. The Beast/Valeyard/Storm/insert_ominous_name_here.

Take it slow and steady with your return to the land of the living – it’s always tempting to rush things, and it’s almost never a good idea. Hope all goes well.

Timeloop @timeloop

I think it was @phaseshift who said it: black smoke? Hilarious! You now go on and compare the Doctor with the Pope? I don’t care and but a few people might be offended (you never know).

@craignixon True! IF some information has leaked in some way again (!) They should try and start finding the traitor (who violates the “keep it silent” part of their contract for sure – “Silence must fall when the question is asked” [Who is the next Doctor]) by giving valuable (maybe even wrong but highly newsworthy) to people with some time between the anoucements and then just narrow it down. Poor Moffat. I feeling a bit sorry for him.

It was relatively easy to catch up – has the traffic of the forum died down a bit?

FishComBobulated @fishcombobulated

It has died down to a large degree.

Although I have written part one on my treatise concerning the forum’s theories inre “red” and “blue” Doctor and Clara, because that theory is right on the spot (pun nonwithstanding), and will post during the dog days of summer as there is little rush for the BT (bonkers theorizing) until the Special.

FishComBobulated @fishcombobulated

I’d certainly be fine with a female Doctor… but not by Moffatt. I’d rather for that sort of change, see a new showrunner and new Doctor simultaneously. It’s not any sort of jab at SM, but for something that isn’t broken… don’t start fixing it with a new set of tools. When things change hands, a new runner and new set of writers with a new Doctor, that would be an ideal time for what many would view as a ground-up shift on an element that has been consistent for half a century.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Fellow enthusiasts. Greetings from the home away from home of blenkinsop–the Qantas Club Lounge. And this time accompanied by Mrs Blenkinsop–hurrah!

A Club Lounge thought. Why still no announcement on the identity of the next Doctor? Well, don’t rule out the blenkinsop multiple regenerating Doctors theory…

ScaryB @scaryb

@blenkinsopthebrave Am a big fan of your multiple regenerations theory. Although I feel I should warn you – that’s probably the kiss of death to it, given my track record!   I definitely don’t buy that Matt’s departure took the team by surprise (although I think the leak did), or that they have series 8 commissioned, with scripts underway, without knowing who they’re writing for.

It’s noticeable that the only website not speculating on Rory Kinnear was the BBC! And all the others referred to the Telegraph as the source.  Clickbait. Which doesn’t do RK any harm, his profile’s just been upped hugely. Maybe it was his agent who encouraged a flurry of bets on him. (Oh, surely not!)

Enjoy the pleasures of sharing the Qantas Club Lounge.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

I think I’ll leave it next time we are in this position. Expand the article, make a spurious “infographic” showing Doctors per 1,000,000 inhabitants for the regions, put in a couple of “anonymous quotes” (“why can’t Welsh children have a genocidal role model?”) before making it a post, and ask people to nominate their favourite Welsh actors in the comments section.

Then I’d ask everyone just to post a link on any of the many, many threads they have access to “Some interesting names on here….” or “I realise this was raised as a joke, but…..” and see if it could become “a thing”. I’d probably ask Dan if he could namecheck it in a throwaway manner in one of his posts (“should the next Doctor even be Welsh”). It would just be interesting to see what the uptake and reaction would be. I don’t do or understand social media, but anyone who does who frequents the forum who wants to play would certainly have my blessing to create #doctormustbewelsh or whatever.

Of course, in the unlikely event they cast someone Welsh, I’ll have to think of another “issue”.

@janetteb

A convert! Rhys Ifans was largely a joke based on that recent interview with a Times journo. Brydon wouldn’t do it, but I think his comedy characters are really interesting. Very convivial on the face of it but with hidden depths that you can only speculate about. To be honest, it was his performance as Uncle Bryn in “Gavin and Stacey” that made me watch the programme.

I’ve never been very good at working out what people find fanciable in men, but I can assure you I went to see Brydon in Scarborough doing his one man show. Very funny, but I was astonished at his female following. Ages from teenagers to grandmothers made up a good 70% of the audience. There was a great deal of light hearted knicker throwing going on.

@timeloop

In fairness, all the Catholics I know would have laughed at the black smoke gag. Then they would have felt immense guilt.

I definitely don’t buy that Matt’s departure took the team by surprise (although I think the leak did)

@scaryb – I think all of this has been planned. When Karen Gillan was leaving, did you notice how okay Arthur Darvill was with it? That wasn’t an actor who’s just lost a high paying, high profile TV job because his on-screen partner had decided to try Hollywood (and it now looks like she might be successful there – yay!). Arthur Darvill was behaving like someone who’d always known the date his contract finished.

Similarly, if Matt’s departure took the team by surprise, how come S7.2 included a careful explanation of regeneration for the younger viewers? Why does the finale include a visit to the Doctor’s grave?

I could kick Ian Levine all round the houses, though. Leaking Matt Smith’s departure early has not just killed all the bonkers theorising, it’s put the producers under scrutiny that’s more intense than normal, at a point when they’ve probably got other secrets they need to keep.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@plymouthherald

Thanks for that link. It’s everything I love about local newspapers. The slightly desperate air of trying to work out a local angle on a national story! The determination by someone to truly do justice to a really bad idea!

Only capped by the two comments in the thread below that make you wonder – If you found yourself posting troll standard comments on a local newspaper like that, wouldn’t you really consider when your life started going wrong?

Marvellous, marvellous stuff.

@scaryb

We shall continue to believe in the multiple regenerating Doctors in the face of logic and skepticism, because it is such an insanely appealing idea! (Well, at the very least, it’s insane)

Have arrived at the Club Lounge in one of the former American colonies, before continuing the journey to the colonial Dominion to the north. Travelling in space and time is much more fun on Doctor Who than it is in reality…

ScaryB @scaryb

@blenkinsopthebrave We will stand strong against the skeptics – they will see soon enough! Not sure about insane but definitely bobbins verging on bonkers! It’s pefect – they could even use it to trial @juniperfish / @miapatrick‘s Clara-dalek aka clalek companion!

Re the difference between the TARDIS and the Qantas (or Quantum as I like to call it) Club Lounge is that in the TARDIS time tends to shrink (whether as a viewer or a traveller) and in QCL (and equivalent around the world) time gets stretched so that what’s supposed to be a 2 hour flight turns into a 4/5 hour travel experience. Alcohol is the only solution. But don’t miss the flight!

PS Despite my cheeky retort to you on the website thread, you may have noticed that all my posts to you since then have been completely smiley free *proud*

chickenelly @chickenelly

All a bit quiet on the Doctor Who front.

I’m still wondering if the Rory Kinnear thing is a double bluff.  It has put the kibosh on speculation, certainly from the media’s point of view although there was an interview with Dominic Cooper today in the Evening Standard where Doctor Who was mentioned – likely to have been conducted before the RK story on Sunday though.

When David Morrissey was in the Crimbo episode ‘The Next Doctor’ he was going on telly and the radio teasing us and being all coy.  RK is notable by his absence.

Leaving this aside, does the multiple regenerations theory favoured by @blenkinsopthebrave via the Qantas Club Lounge include a Kennedy incarnation?

@chickenelly – what, you mean that they’re bluffing that he isn’t the Doctor by not confirming it when in fact he is?

I think he’s the decoy. As you say – it’s stopped the intense speculation. It’s increasing his public profile. Broadly, it’s a win-win situation – providing he is the decoy. If he is the next Doctor he’s probably wondering what the hell he’s just got himself into, because right now it looks as if the production team can’t fart without someone leaking it.

The one thing I could see Rory Kinnear genuinely doing is a ‘one-off’ or ‘alternate’ Doctor; playing the possible future [insert ominous name here] Doctor. He did a cracking Bolingbroke to Ben Whishaw’s Richard II- all moral integrity up to the moment where he suddenly realises ‘hey, you know what? I could be king.’ Didn’t see his Iago, but I heard that was really good, as well. 

The one thing I do NOT believe is that they’re actually looking for the actor who’s playing the Doctor throughout Series 8. Whoever that actor is, they’ve been signed, sealed and under contract for weeks, possibly months.

chickenelly @chickenelly

@bluesqueakpip

what, you mean that they’re bluffing that he isn’t the Doctor by not confirming it when in fact he is?

Eh?  Hang on isn’t that a triple bluff? I’m saying he is the new Doctor but the BBC are a bit cheesed off and aren’t commenting, but by not commenting you think they mean that he is the Doctor and indeed he is.  *thinks, that last sentence did make sense in my head but not now that it’s written down*

To cut a long story short, I think that Rory Kinnear is the new Doctor.

chickenelly @chickenelly

…but I could be wrong…

To cut a long story short, I think that Rory Kinnear is the new Doctor.

@chickenelly – I will give him a go if he is; but I hope he isn’t. If I were casting Rory Kinnear for Team Tardis, I’d never think of him for the Doctor. He’d be a really superb Brigadier type, or he could play the ‘Rory’ – the only sane man in the TARDIS. He could, as I’ve said above, do a very nice ‘sliding into evil’ Doctor and could have also taken the ‘Dream Lord’ role. He’s a bloody good actor.

But as the Doctor: my brain just keeps going ‘huh’? I’ve seen him in quite a few things; he doesn’t quite fit, somehow. @htpbdet summed it up for me when he said ‘he would not be my first choice’. That’s exactly what I feel.

By the way, his Bolingbroke is available on DVD; one of the best filmed productions of Richard II I’ve seen.

Tennantmarsters2013 @tennantmarsters2013

@bluesqueakpip I don’t think I’ve seen anything on Rory kinnear’s acting so I can’t comment on if for me he would be suitable for the role. Just tennant and smith have big hair and smiths is bigger than tennants maybe the next doctor will have even more. Who knows but Rory has little hair.

I do agree on the fact that I think Moffat and the NBC know who the next doctor is and they are just playing games with us and it’s understandable. They would I’m guessing want to keep it under wraps until the 50th is out of the way and tht is the right way to go in my eyes.

Plus gives us more time to speculate and come up with far far away never going to happen guesses XD

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip @chickenelly

Re bluffs and double, triple and counter bluffs – see my post from the end of last week when I speculated that due to the intense media pushing of a female Dr, that if it isn’t (a woman) that there would be some strong rumours very soon, revolving round possible male Drs (to refocus the media and lower people’s female Dr expectations).

Ahem!!

Re RK being Dr slipping into badness as the incarnation whose name must not be mentioned – presumably HurtDr will take on a dark Dr persona, so not likely to do that role again. No, I agree, RK is a decoy (either knowingly or not (someone mentioned a previous association with Gattiss)) – I mentioned before (and Bluesqueakpip also above), it does his profile no harm at all; all that had to be done was organise a slew of bets on him, maybe someone placing a bet sugesting he’s got inside knowledge or has heard a strong rumour, doesn’t need to have cost a lot but enough in a short space of time to raise Ladbrokes suspicions. They close their books. Job done. Cheaper than a Graun ad 🙂

But agree, it’s been disastrous for bonkers theorising!

Whisht @whisht

WHY OH WHY have we not signed Higuain, Pogba or Fellaini, Williams or resigned Cesc?????!!??

Why are we waiting so long? All the best players will have signed to other teams by now!

WENGER OUT!!

Talk is cheap guys – sign a top top signing NOW!!

OR I’LL STOP WATCHING THE TEAM I HAVE SUPPORTED FOR OVER 30 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

ah – wrong silly-season transfer forum…

ScaryB @scaryb

LOL @whisht

Whisht!!

😉

chickenelly @chickenelly

@whisht

Arsenal have left it a bit late in the manager recruitment front to boot out Arsene now.  There’s no one left – apart from Bertie Vogts that is.  Or Stuart Pearce (very soon).

Expect to find a double bluff of a certain Rory Kinnear signing very soon…

Whisht @whisht

@chickenelly – Give Vogts the gazillions – HE KNOWS HOW TO SPEND IT!!!!!!!!!!

giv stewart pearce da job az e iz legend! Sycko – yeh!

an if annyone agree I’d be ever so grateful for thumbs.

(apologies, the click-whoring silly season forums have left me feeling ill.
    Please ignore me while I fumigate my keyboard)

I’ll take your advice @scaryb

;¬)

@scaryb – agreed. With one exception: I still think it might be a female Doctor. If the BBC want to avoid six months of ‘CAN A WOMAN PLAY THE DOCTOR?’ click-throughs, they need a decoy. They need someone, for example, who makes it explicable that the production team aren’t calling in the appropriate male actors. Or indeed, makes it explicable that the production team aren’t calling anyone in, because the damn role is cast already. 🙂

And @tennantmarsters2013 (are you a Buffy fan, btw?) is making the point that – if you haven’t really seen Rory Kinnear – then he’s a typical Doctor-candidate. White, male, mid-thirties, sufficient leading roles under his belt to be plausible, but not a huge star. If the 50th is supposed to be about looking forward, Rory Kinnear’s about looking back. It’s like someone’s gone ‘who do we know who might be an old-style Doctor?’

And yes, total disaster for the theorising. Can’t we set up a viewing schedule of old Matt Smith episodes or something, and see where we think the entire arc is going?

Tennantmarsters2013 @tennantmarsters2013

Can I interject on this? I am still firmly on the Clara bandwagon as I have explained in other posts I just really think Moffat is keeping it a secret because he wants it to be a genuine surprise. Moffat does remind me of the great and infamous Mr Whedon their writing styles are similar and I’d love for them to collaborate at some point. And as you may have guessed by my username @bluesqueakpip I am a fan of Buffy 😀

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip. I agree with your view on Richard II. It was one of the best productions I have seen, though being an Aussie that doesn’t say much. I have only seen Richard III performed on stage, and many years ago, a very bad production of Macbeth. But like you and HTPBDET I just don’t see R.K as the Doctor. He is a fine actor and I would like to see him playing an arch villian, maybe the next re incarnation of the The Master, but he doesn’t feel right for the Doctor. But then I can’t really think of any actors that do which is why I’m still hoping that the Doctor will be an unknown, after we have the multiple regenerations of course. I’m still loving @Blenkinsop’s theory.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

Thanks @bluesqueakpip for using my argument against it to reignite my faith in female Dr theory 🙂 (After the multi-Dr series theory)

@tennantmarsters2013 In an ideal world (one of the good things about 50 years ago) we would come to every story as a blank sheet, but that just ain’t gonna happen. Shame. OTOH rampant bonkers theorising is a welcome compensation.  And aha, yes,  Whedon/Moff crossover – vampire daleks…? What would the Dr do about the Hellmouth?

Okay, lemme see…

Current theories on the identity of the next Doctor are (in no particular order of insanity):

• The next Doctor will be a white male Brit in his mid-thirties.
    • The next Doctor will be male, British, but not white.
    • The next Doctor will be a baby. That’s why Clara’s a nanny.
    • The next Doctor will be Rory Kinnear.
    • The next Doctor will be anybody (m or f) except Rory Kinnear.
    • The next Doctor will be Jenna Coleman.
    • The next Doctor will be a woman who isn’t Jenna Coleman.
    • The next Doctor will be John Hurt.
    • The next Doctor will be Welsh.
    • There is no next Doctor. Series 8 will consist entirely of Clara and the TARDIS trying to find the Doctor.
    • There is going to be a plethora of next Doctors. Series 8 will have a sequence of rapid-fire regenerations, with a new Doctor every episode.

So, what have I missed out?

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

@bluesqueakpip: The next Doctor will be a kangaroo. I think I suggested that at the Guardian, mind. Damn this speciesist casting!

Anonymous @

OK – newcomer to the forum – Hi everyone.

I’m sure it won’t be an established star, but Charles Dance would fit nicely and echo William Hartnell.  A ‘Game of Doctors’?

@arkleseizure – when I was typing ‘white male’, it very nearly came out as

• The next Doctor will be a whale …
    grimbo @grimbo

Don’t laugh, but the best person they could get would be Rowan Atkinson.

He is just as good a serious actor as he is in comedy.

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip. I think point 5 is the most likely, any actor male or female other than Rory Kinnear but I still prefer the last option, the multiple doctors, and one can very certainly be a whale, or a kangaroo. “What’s that Skippy?”

@grimbo. Rowan Atkinson has already played the Doctor in the charity special “Curse of Fatal Death.”

Cheers

Janette

hallucigeniclipstick @hallucigeniclipstick

Hmm, my only objection to Rory Kinnear is that he looks so solidily human am finding it hard to picture him as other. But, perhaps that is just because Matt does that so well.

If after bluff and double bluff there is a female doctor, I really hope it is the alien aspect of the doctor that is brought out; a female who is a bit odd, intellectual and bemused by popular culture. That’s a role model I could have identified with in the 80’s, would have been an improvement on Lisa Simpson anyhow.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 925 total)

The topic ‘The Next Doctor’ is closed to new replies.