The Rose & Crown

Home Forums General The Rose & Crown

This topic contains 990 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

The Rose and Crown

Down the pub. A break from the sofa and Doctor Who. Somewhere for real life, non-Doctor chat including news, politics, sport etc. Basically a place of a more adult nature. Those who don’t want that, please avoid.

Anonymous @

@craig … ‘a more adult nature’ ??  Please tell me there will be no pictures of privates.  😀

chickenelly @chickenelly

@Shazzbot

But you ain’t neveh gonna beat my Jenny-is-in-the-Doctor’s-timestream theory!

{throws gauntlet}

{remembers we’re on the sofa, so said gauntlet must be picked up in TNotD thread, or in the new pub}

@craig – can the pub be called ‘The Dead Bird’? *innocent face*

*picks up gauntlet*
    I see your Jenny-is-in-the-Doctor’s-timestream theory and raise you…..Being John Hurt-ovich!

Now that the Doctor has passed into his own timestream, all the world he will see from now on will be full of Doctor and Clara clones. *pow pow pow*

Anonymous @
    wolfweed @wolfweed

So, is Google a Capitalist Country?

(Got any salted peanuts?)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed Ask Clara, last time I looked she was the barmaid. I’ve been out with two barmaids (not at the same time – but that does say something about my lifestyle I guess). Predictive text renders barmaid as carnage. Is about right!

Now I can post my Charlie Brooker video in full. The best reaction to this week’s news, and it wasn’t even a reaction to this week’s news…

Timeloop @timeloop

Yay, new thread.

Anonymous @

@chickenelly – that is crying out for @wolfweed ‘s fab picture skills.  An audience composed solely of Smiths and Colemans.

However, that gauntlet is still mine, I tells ya.  Because we’ve already seen the Malkovich hommage, when John Simm was the Master.  (and what can beat an unshaven John Simm in a dress?!)

I haven’t even been served a proper bitter yet!  What does it take to get served in this lousy joint, anyway?!  🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

guinness

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig – Nice to know that our media is breeding more mass-murderers.

There’s nothing quite like 24 hour rolling news. When disaster strikes, all other stories go out of the window in a desperate scrabble for a shred of new  barely-related morsels. This sometimes creates the sort cringeworthy TV that Ricky Gervais would be proud to have plotted. Indeed he played a journalist on the 11 o clock show.

It also reminds me of Brasseye & The Day Today. Media hype…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Ahhhh…. loooong afternoon. I could do with a drink. A virtual bar? How convenient!

In Fact…

GI

“I want the finest wines available to humanity. I want them here, and I want them now…. with a bit of downloaded humanity to nibble on as bar snacks”.

PS – Great post @pedant and a good idea with this space @craig. May be good to vent every now and again.

I’m thinking The Slaughtered Sontaran might be a nice American Werewolf/ Who crossover pub name…

Anonymous @

@wolfweed“There’s nothing quite like 24 hour rolling news”  The 24-hour news cycle [focused on heinous acts as ‘grabbers’] is breeding more heinous acts.   Discuss …

Glenn Greenwald says a lot of things that get up people’s noses, and I had a wander through his most recent G post:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/23/woolwich-attack-terrorism-blowback?   (that was probably the longest ‘1st comment nest’, ever) and this was filled with red meat for people who totally, totally, missed the point and in fact made his point, repeatedly, over and over and over.  {sigh}

Anonymous @

@pedant“I’m thinking The Slaughtered Sontaran might be a nice American Werewolf/ Who crossover pub name…”

I’m still cross at @chickenelly for stealing my crown without even TRYING (yes, you heard me shouting, you pigeon you  🙂  ) to beat my Georgia-Moffett-regenerates-into-John-Hurt sublimely insane theory.  The Doctor’s Daughter is the Doctor’s daughter who becomes the Doctor’s secret who becomes the Doctor’s current companion’s burden which mirrors the Doctor’s Daughter’s daughter’s regenerated haggard soul’s need to redeem him(erm, her-)self.  {sigh}  Did I get that right?  Is that my pint?   Who’s shout is it, anyway?  Where’s Clara with the peanuts?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Our barmaid for the evening

clara-barmaid

Anonymous @

@craig … where are the bar men?

hot bartender!

Ooh, errr, miss.  😀  Ha!  I mean, ‘miss’ as in ‘I’d take a miss on that’.  Who wants someone so waxed?  Urrrgghh.  The preparation time for someone like that requires more than one Tardis, a boatful of Botox, and an unfeasibly long time inhaling without exhaling.  🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot If you are quite happy to have, for all eternity, that post linked to you, then feel free to leave it there.

😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot – IMO 24 Hr rolling news should not be consumed for more than 10 minutes @ a time.

It is sort of a platform for Celebrity Murderers now, but  then again music & entertainment talent shows are becoming a bit old hat nowadays. Killing people is certainly a talent of sorts.

In a bizarre way it’s somehow reassuring to see our dystopian futures come true…..

I’ve still to see a real Jamaican Cyberman yet, though.

batty

Anonymous @

@craig – that garnered a true LOL from me!  I’m still laughing, and my dogs are totally perplexed!  (and the neighbours are starting to wonder … )  😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed Ah, The Dark Knight Returns. Suddenly I feel like I love you. Is that wrong 😀

Miller has become an asshole, or disappeared up his own, but for a few years he was the best comic writer/artist there was (maybe still, despite his later output)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig – Is that the beer talking? Or The Dark Knight Returns? More pre anal Miller:

drk knt
    Note that the Joker wears a tweed jacket, as all madmen should.

There is no getting away from the fact that JLC is very, very pretty.

(I realise that’s technically on topic, but this is the pub)

How about The Slaughtered Zarbi?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed Not beer, it’s gin tonight! I feel I can admit this to Doctor Who fans. I have a 6 foot print of this in my living room

The Dark Knight Returns

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot 😀 Nice recover!

Anonymous @

@pedant – that still photo of JLC leaning out of the Tardis door, just having heard ‘you’re the boss!’ and grinning, was quite fetching.  I’m not that way inclined, myself, but I would understand how y’all would melt like cheese in a microwave.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot There is currently no one to play Robin. I know… Go figure etc…

What lady wouldn’t want a Doctor Who geek who can double as Ming The Merciless, or Ed Norton when the makeup comes off? It astounds me. Astounds me, I tell you!

Anonymous @

@craig – Did you say Ed Norton?  As in ‘Primal Fear’?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig – This must be a pub – Look, I’m ‘Flashing’.
    flash

wolfweed @wolfweed

Sorry – it’s somehow easy to stop  being serious when you’re in a pub!

Back to Grown-Up News – What do people think about the BBC wasting £100 Million?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/24/bbc-digital-media-initiative-failure

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed Ahaaaaah. Saviour of the Universe

@Shazzbot Yeah him, I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been told I look like him, I’ve been stopped in the street and accosted in bars and clubs by complete strangers and even my closest family, even my Mum, think we look alike. He’s almost exactly the same age as me too. I’m thinking of applying for a job as a double 😀

Ed Norton

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig – No need for Photoshop!

Anonymous @

@craig  &  @wolfweed – eeeuww, are we in ‘American History X’ territory?   Amazing Ed Norton acting, (not like ‘amazing’ as in stupid Hollywood reviews, but, honestly, amazing), and a totally disturbing story – I have it on DVD and still watch it on the odd night when I want to be sick in my mouth, whilst simultaneously marvelling at the acting, the Venice Beach locations (look!  look!   I used to live there!), and the Kid from the Terminator movies having a really bad day.

@craig, if you are in any way physically like Ed Norton in that dram, I wonder how you manage to live your life, unless you are surrounded by people who don’t know that movie.

The only possible hand-over I can do in this circumstance is Russell Crowe in Romper Stomper.  Even more disturbing, and with Ozzie accents.

@wolfweed

Back to Grown-Up News – What do people think about the BBC wasting £100 Million?

I think that admitting it was a write off and halting put good money after bad compares very favourably with almost every government procurement of the last 20 years…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Thankfully no one thinks I am a racist or neo-facist, they just think I’m Ed Norton, even though he has much more hair than me. I have had some wonderful service in restaurants in Central London which I am only too happy to accept. 😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

And @Shazzbot Yes, he and I, in American History X, do look very similar. But I did get it before then. When it first came out, one of my friends told me “You look like the lawyer in The People Vs Larry Flint”, then I was in a bar in Thailand and an American said “Hey, you’re the guy in Fight Club”. Obviously I’d had it before, so jokingly asked if he meant Brad Pitt, and he said “No. The Ugly One” 😀

Anonymous @

@craig – I’m so totally (‘like, totally!’  I’m the Valley Girl incarnate) not calling you a neo-fascist.

Speaking of central London restaurants, I have a weird and wonderful story about The Square (one of those restaurants which has a menu lacking prices – because, y’know, if you hafta ask, ya can’t afford).  Apparently, we were sitting near Lady Diana’s mother.  (I later discovered that the wine bill alone came to £1800 but that is part of the greater story!)

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Why is a GIF officially pronounced a JIF (as in Giraffe)? Must we start saying Jraphics?

WhoHar @whohar

@all

Hello – who’s round is it?

@wolfweed

wears a tweed jacket, as all madmen should.

As the owner of a very nice tweed, I take excepti- oh no, wait. As you were.

@craig

Can I chip in with The Baker’s Scarf as the pub name.

WhoHar @whohar

@wolfweed

I go with the WC Fields solution – drink more alcohol. Then again, this was the guy who used to inject oranges with gin, so he could imbibe on set.

When asked why he didn’t drink water, Fields famously replied “fish make love”. I guess I’d better clean out the bath.

They’ve been talking about this water shortage for many years now, on-and-off. Seems to get dragged out every now and again. There is a US investor (can’t remember his name) who reckons water will be the commodity of the 21st Century. Whether it should be classed as a commodity at all, well….

chickenelly @chickenelly

@Shazzbot

I’m still cross at @chickenelly for stealing my crown without even TRYING to beat my Georgia-Moffett-regenerates-into-John-Hurt sublimely insane theory. The Doctor’s Daughter is the Doctor’s daughter who becomes the Doctor’s secret who becomes the Doctor’s current companion’s burden which mirrors the Doctor’s Daughter’s daughter’s regenerated haggard soul’s need to redeem him(erm, her-)self.

Well to be fair you did nick @scaryb‘s fez, so it serves you right. My avatar has been zapped out of it’s Crimson Horror state, but I think the crown looks rather fetching.

Whisht @whisht

loving the crown @chickenelly – suits you.

and loving the Rose & Crown.

as ever, I fancy the barmaid (sigh).

though, as ever, there’s no chance anything will happen…

and @craig, ironically I actually look like Brad Pitt.

;¬)

Whisht @whisht

a few people here coming up with for other names of pubs…

maybe this thread should be called “Down the pub” and we can nominate ‘venues’ for certain weeks.

Also, as there was a fear of rowdiness, if anything does kick off while we’re ‘in’ the Slaughtered Sontaran (for instance), our landlord @craig could always call “Time” and head off for The Dead Bird….

Whisht @whisht

btw, I think that’s make a great spinoff show.

A Timelord called The Landlord, Tardis-less and slumming it in an Earth pub, spewing forth his universe-weary pearls of wisdom.

and a white wine for the companion.

;¬)

ScaryB @scaryb

OOOOOOH! A pub 😀

With “The Landlord called the Timelord, Tardis-less and slumming it in an Earth pub, spewing forth his universe-weary pearls of wisdom…” (slightly adapted from @whisht )

And a barmaid called Clara.  With a few ne’erdoweels and would be galaxy-dominating villains lurking in the corners 😉 I love it!  The Slaughtered Sontaran sounds pretty good too – is that Strax’s local when he goes to Glasgow?

And looks like it’s open pretty late too. Not to mention it seems to contain echoes of last night’s conversations 😉

A quick lunchtime pint then… <thinks: is it too early for a pangalactic gargleblaster…?>

ScaryB @scaryb

@chickenelly – love the crown – very you.  And it goes really well with the pipe 🙂

Whisht @whisht

Btw, do you think I should pitch my idea to HBO?

“basically it’s Cheers with Doctor Who as the landlord”

It pretty much writes itself… and each episode can end “Time everyone, please”

Spinoff gold, I’m telling ya.

Obviously the US version would use the template of that nice man Davison’s Doctor, whereas the UK version would be modelled on the more garrulous Baker’s, with more weariness, sauce and invective…

I’ll get me coat

Anonymous @

@chickenelly“Well to be fair you did nick @scaryb‘s fez”

He he.  Yes, there was a certain irony in my being ‘mad’ at you for stealing my crown, but I haven’t found the correct formatting to indicate that.  Sorry!

And you had to go and get yourself an even better looking crown  🙂

Whisht @whisht

Hmmm mm….

(thinks whether there’s thread crossover potential for the Music thread and the pub’s jukebox in the corner…)

ScaryB @scaryb

<embarrassingly splutters most of her pint across the table @whisht! looks around for the reset switch 🙂 >

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 991 total)

The topic ‘The Rose & Crown’ is closed to new replies.