General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

So kids – How down are you. Are you spinning or downloading?

Words fail. @whisht, this is your idea. Get in here and take this burden of me. This is a thread about music. Your music. Give us your recommendations. That’s it.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Haha – @whisht. This is your babe. Nurture it, because you requested it.

I would look forward to boring people with my choices in music in the future. Believe me, growing up with a combination of metal/Ska/new romantic and goth influences you will be bored.

Before that though. If you ever go to the market town of Chester and encounter a bloke playing an electric violin, please give generously. Here is Ed Alleyne Johnson playing his own composition “Orange” on the streets. Bafflingly beautiful.

Whisht @whisht

wow @phaseshift! I’m surprised/ honoured you remembered my little question on the TV Memories thread!

For everyone else, basically I was liking reading about everyone’s TV memories so much, that I wondered if a similar music thread would work.

I have a few pretty clear memories of hearing something for the first time at formative moments in my life (as people had done on the TV thread) and I guess I wondered if others had the same.

So, for me, the first clear memory of being affected by music, is aged 10 at home with the family (I’m the youngest with an even 8-year spread of 2 brothers and a sister. And probably conventional for a youngest, in terms of being the ‘weird’ one, in my own head-world).

Everyone was bustling around, setting the table and readying for tea and then I stood stock-still in the dining room and started going “Shh. Shhhh. Shush! SHUSH!!

This was a first even for me and everyone stopped, not knowing what the hell was going on, trying to work out why I was staring at the wall.

“What? What’s the matter?”

“Shhush”

Incredulous looks and mild impatience.

“What is it?” [what’s he doing this time?]

“The music”

“huh?” A general shrug of ‘what music?’ until they actually heard it.

The radio had been on in the background all this time, but as with radio, everyone was ignoring it.
    But a song had come on and I was transfixed because it was alien, strange, unlike anything I’d ever heard before.

As everyone began to actually ‘hear’ the music, they were just incredulous and said “oh for goodness sake – you’re weird!” and finished getting ready for tea.

All this took place in about 10 seconds, but the feeling of standing there, not knowing why but feeling like something important was happening, has been an abiding memory.

The song was O Superman by Laurie Anderson.

Later in life I had other events that transfixed me, but I think this was the first.

So – anyone else got memories of music/ a song changing everything?

If not, no matter and sorry for boring you, but even if this becomes a place to recommend good stuff then great!

Thanks again @phaseshift – loved the violins btw and kinda links to another memory of music I have…

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMlnllryPX0

I’m being serious this time…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

This piece of genius was the first record (on vinyl) that I bought. Although the first music I ever owned was a tape (yes, a tape cassette album) of Reggatta de Blanc by the Police which I got for Christmas.

I just thought the video and song was genius, but nobody seemed to notice. Then Peter Gabriel got the same director to do his Sledgehammer video, using much the same effects, and everybody went gaga. What can you do?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

No problems @whisht. I wanted to have a look at some of the features on the thread opening dashboard and remembered your idea.

I think those memories you form with music are really peculiar. I don’t know if anyone else has experienced something like this but:

My first proper snog (with lashings of tongue) was at a school disco. A big thing in a young chaps life. The song that was playing at the time I’ve therefore associated ever since with optimism and generally positive feelings. Why most people feel this is wrong when I tell them this is because the song was “Say Hello Wave Goodbye” by Soft Cell. Surely a really bitter, cold type of lament to failed love really?

But I can’t help it. I find it kind of uplifting. 🙂

Link to song.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Whisht @whisht

Ok – Haven’t given this enough love yet so… how about some ping pong?

Actually, my next ‘big’ memory also gives me the ability to play ping pong but… here goes!

@phaseshift – really liked the violinist. I hope the small kid taking a picture goes away thinking music can be anything and looking like a Rocker doesn’t mean you’ll only play rock!
    In response, here is a cover of the Kink’s Fancy by Hugo Largo. I came across them on the TV in a thing called Intruders at the Palace. Incredible. No drums, just bass, guitar, electric violin and an incredible singers dive bomb vocals. This concert really opened my ears!
    Also, this version of Fancy is “my” Fancy in the same way that the first Dr we watch is usually “our” Dr! (and just to try and show how non-muso I am, “my” version of Tomorrow Never Knows is by Phil Collins).
    anyway, my ping pong to Ed Alleyne Johnson is Fancy by Hugo Largo:

Most of their stuff was a lot softer (which is almost a shame!)

Whisht @whisht

@craig – I also loved Road to Nowhere. It was great and props to you for buying it!
    In shame I think the first single I bought was Money for Nothing!
    Unfortunately I listened to their other stuff around that time and though I liked some (Blind springs to mind) I should’ve headed straight to their older stuff. ah well, made it a few years later!

As a response, I could be a bit obvious and put Sledgehammer (for the animated sequence in the videos) but seems a bit lazy and anyway, the Intruders at the Palace concert I mentioned above had David Byrne headlining with a brass band called Les Miserables.
    This song is 2/3 of the way through their performance and is kinda the highlight, so if you’re a completist then head to the first track.
    However, life is short so here’s “In the Future” which begins with some of the most beautiful poetry I have ever heard.

hope you enjoy it:

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Cheers @whisht will check that out later.

I also love dance music, misspent 90s and 00s etc. Must have seen Orbital about 50 times. And this always raises the roof (if there is one). Is also kinda relevant. Oh the memories (or lack of them)…

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift  I’m an old fan of Ed Alleyne Johnson, so was pleased to see you post him.

If anyone missed it, my serious choice was Kate Bush ‘The Dreaming’ from German TV, but mainly because of the giant lizards (a la Colony in Space) and the Cybermen costumes.

The 1st record I bought was the Genesis of the Daleks vinyl LP (still got it). It probably took another 10 years before I started to get into music. God knows what the 1st single I bought was (probably embarrassing though).

(As a ping-pong return) I think this is still my favourite who remix…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcf2RKyKjJw

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Oh and just one more. One of the best songs ever written. And perhaps the best (or most prescient) video ever, as it was done pre YouTube. Just give your fans a camera. Brilliant.

This thread is annoying and great because I could post here all day 😀

Whisht @whisht

blimey @craig – lobs and multiple shots!

will need to listen to these to get proper replies!

But will start with the Orbital serve!
    I’ve only got one EP/CD of theirs – Belfast – and I do like it. As you obviously know them well, a bit pointless replying with what I know of them(!).

So, in ping pong style I would try and find something else in it (eg Dr Who related) but… nothing springs to mind! (KLF has been erased from my mind).

So…. a coupla options. Either a piece of dance that uses beats and blips with warmth and beauty (ie something from Anokha: Soundz of the Asian Underground – this is really rather good) or something backhand backspin and based on Orbital’s love of weird headgear.

yep, had to go with this:

If you can get over the ridiculous opening (with “roadeyes” which is why I’m linking this!) then you have a bit of classic Neil Young!

Whisht @whisht

Ah, @phaseshift – completely agree how a song will ‘mean’ whatever it meant at a particular time and its hard to shake it. Its as if music stitches together the neurons which are firing when a strong moment is being remembered and all it takes is for that song (or smell) to come again and that memory is fired back afresh.

As for Soft Cell – you won’t believe me but I didn’t really think of them as gay! Yeah I know – sheltered life.
    However, its quite sweet how a bunch of manly heterosexual guys can all jump onto the dancefloor together for Tainted Love!
    And if Marc Almond and Jimmy Sommerville dance like this – then we will too!
    (So, here’s ‘I feel Love’ for all you lovers out there….)

Whisht @whisht

ah @wolfweed where do I begin..?
    I need to do better the the link below, but as a response to your remix, I’ve linked to what I think is the original version, but its hard to tell (i was minus some years) and this is far far too original-sounding.
    I’ve never really listened before, but if you didn’t do it electronically, and instead with small orchestra it would sound a bit Robin Hood. (tah dah….. tah da da, dal la laaah) [imagine it on horns].
    But Delia ups the driving bass, alienates the parping of hunting horns and instead gives us the future.

Whisht @whisht

@wolfweed – my first reply to you is just a tad po-faced (Boe-faced??)

Slightly better would have been this:

But you have me properly stumped by your original posts which are perfect!
    I actually loved the Soviet music! Honestly, I really liked it! and laughed. But genuinely liked it.
    Really hard to find a response!

This may even be a bit more po-faced (apologies) but it at least is quite beautiful and joyous and links to Kate Bush as the Mysterious Voices of Bulgaria were featured on one of her albums (they’re quite brilliant on Rocket’s Tail).

But forgive the last song in their set! They had to get bums on seats at their gigs after all (and the genuine warmth of the audience is gorgeous!)

Whisht @whisht

@craig – well that Feeder video is brilliant!!

I’ll admit that its not my favourite song (:¬) but the video is full of really lovely moments of fan-dom!

I have absolutely nothing in response!

An ace!

Your serve again!

;¬)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Nice work on the decks folks!

I really enjoyed the Neil Young, and a mention for Laurie Anderson I see 🙂

This probably isn’t very call-and-response-y but the Neil Young segued into California Dreaming by the Mamas and Papas in my head – 1965, so from the era of the First Doctor, and just look at those outfits.

This one is for @scaryb who shares a love of the Magic Bus with me!

I don’t know how to embed the full video rather than just a link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3GbF9Bx6E

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht Yeah, proper fans just enjoying themselves and being incredibly creative. Kinda reminds me of this place, which is probably why it appeals to me.

Something today reminded me of this and made me laugh. A Chatroulette based improv song. If you don’t know, Chatroulette is a random chat site (hence the name) with webcam. Supposedly you get a lot penises! But this makes great use of it and had me in stitches.

And it’s a Monday so why not have a laugh. It’s so off topic I should mod myself but…

wolfweed @wolfweed

@whisht

Nice LMVOB vid – Many people don’t like Kate’s ‘Director’s Cut’ LP because they don’t feature.

Have a Delia Derbyshire return lob…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szE5D-dPs_Y

Whisht @whisht

@craig – that’s just brilliant! laughing all the way through!

I was looking for something on youtube that someone I worked with did, but I can’t find it! If I could it would be at least vaguely useful as a return!

Now, you have (rightfully) reminded me that I’ve been off-topic from the start(!) and not been entirely sci-fi thinking!

🙂

so, I have no chatroulette rejoinders, and will only cheer @juniperfish and possibly @scaryb up if I link to this which is referenced at the end of your clip. Obviously, its great but entirely sci-fi free. You could almost say FREE BIRD (hint hint). Can’t even link it to Who (unless I misquote the aria from Carmen).

The fact its a deliberate riposte to Neil Young’s Alabama is a link, but only to my own post!

Actually speaking of which – @juniperfish if you simply type the URL and not click the ‘link’ button, then the browser will do the rest (hopefully this post has at least been vaguely useful!). I think that’s how you’re doing links (in same way I highlighted “this” above, clicked ‘link’ and pasted the URL of the Old Grey Whistle Test into the Link dialogue).

So, I’ll have to have a think, but I’ll try some easier sci-fi related things to some other posts….

Whisht @whisht

so, keeping it sci-fi related (cough cough) here is something for @phaseshift (who almost certainly knows it but might be fun for those that don’t):

Whisht @whisht

@bluesqueakpip – I am remembering correctly and you’ve gone all Egyptian on us….. right?

well, I could go all Bangles but c’mon, you throw an Egyptian shape and I’ve only got one album I can think of!

and luckily for me, I just discovered while looking for this that there’s a film of the magnificent Sun Ra

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@whisht Ah well, my sci-fi connection was “spaced out” 🙂

Which leaves room for a tonne of tracks…

Yes the Freebird clip made me smile – the flares, the hair alone…

Thanks for the tip on making the video clip appear (I will no doubt struggle to make this happen).

I know we’ve already had some Neil Young but this is my favourite and has actual spaceships this time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e3m_T-NMOs

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@whisht – errr, no? I’m not walking like an Egyptian.

I’ve gone all Russian. Stravinsky.

Whisht @whisht

@wolfweed – holy shit (and though I swear a lot day to day, I rarely swear when I type!). That’s an incredible clip of Delia!! I’ve never heard that before (ie I’ve never bothered to listen to the Radiophonic Workshop stuff). More fool me.
    In terms of a response, I’m thinking Autechre Brochus 2 is (off top of my head) similar. and short (for those dipping in!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZOS5v3K3MA

Not their best work at all, but I’m returning the Delia track (otherwise I’d use something prettier by them like Eutow). Or less techno but more interesting stuff from Four Tet.

really really great lob from you.

[edit – after failing to connect originally, here is a little something from Sonic Boom who befriended Delia later in life… a tad psychedelic if you wait for it…

Whisht @whisht

oops – I really need to get back to the other thread – I’ve mixed up @bluesqueakpip‘s numerology with @juniperfish‘s Ossirian obsession!

so sorry!
    ;¬)

[must regain focus – Who Who Who…..]

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Alright, another piece of genius from LCD Soundsystem. Kinda reminds me of the AS Gill types on The Guardian (that may be some sort of meta comment).

From black and white to the present day (ish)

How the hell do you embed on this site?
    Interesting how the original holds up SO much better than a lot of the 80s version.

God, I’d forgotten they made McCoy wink.

Interesting. Whatever Murray Gold has going on in the musical foreground – which can involve a full scale orchestra, choral accompaniment and sound effects – running underneath is always the old:

‘Dumba-de-dum,  dumba-de-dum,  dumba-de-dum,  diddley-dum, 

Dumba-de-dum,  dumba-de-dum,  dumba-de-dum,  diddley-dum, 

Dumba-de-dum,  dumba-de-dum,  dumba-de-dum,  diddley-dum, 

Dumba-de-dum,  dumba-de-dum,  dumba-de-dum, 

Wah -waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Okay, I’ve got myself slightly more on topic. I’ve posted this before, but is basically Muse doing blatant theme tune rip off. Am I wrong? Is good though…

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@pedant I really enjoyed seeing all the theme tunes together – thanks for posting.

Just confirmed my general outlook on style – the ’60s and ’70s were cool, the ’80s sucked big time 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Some marvellous links on here. Is there a topic to go off @craig? 🙂 I’d say keep it with the memories (even if not sci-fi related) as a general thread. Interesting to here people’s tales and taste through music.

@whisht

I blinked and missed with “Fancy” by Hugo Largo (enjoyed it). I’m slicing your ping-pong ball horizontally by remembering the great Siouxsie Sioux (I did explain the goth thing didn’t I?) recorded an album of interesting covers with “Through the Looking Glass”.

This isn’t one of them though. It’s part of “The Creatures” spin off, and not a particularly well known song. Its themes, bass line and general electronica create something quite hypnotic, and perhaps oddly familiar. (yes it’s another Delia inspired tune).

I’ll post responses to others tomorrow. Had a few problems logging in.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift You’re right. So here’s a tune that just blew me away when I was 16 (in 1986). It just sounded so different from everything else I’d heard apart from Blue Monday (although in retrospect I can now see it was probably influenced by what was then early Chicago House and Detroit Techno). Is probably why I fell in love with dance music slightly later. Someone deserves an award just for the amazing snare drum sound.

Whisht @whisht

Oi @craig – keep to the topic or you’ll be Modded!

Whisht @whisht

Right – so many to reply to!

However in fear of being Modded by @phaseshift (though I’ll skank with the best of them!) I’ll try this whimsical straight-forward forehand return to @craig‘s The The.

yep – this song and album by The The was a big deal! I remember watching and taping the ‘film’ of the album (on Channel 4)? Matt kinda plowed the same furrow but what a furrow!
    I was thinking of either a Neneh Cherry link, or another choon from 1986. Checking iTunes I spotted some corkers (what a great year!) but then saw this –
    Talk Talk and “Life’s What you Make it”.

My memory of this song though is a bit different.

I was with my brother and his mates – they were in a rather good local band, and we were in a local pub/wine bar watching them. By this point they knew I could play a bit of harmonica and invited me to play on a song, which is almost certainly the first time I ever played harmonica in public! My brother was just amazed that my cheeks puffed out so much!

Anyway, in that gig, the keyboardist started playing the Talk Talk riff, and the guitarists (who were twins) started playing along, not knowing the song. It was all rather brilliant improvised interplay.

Anyway, obviously no tapes from a pub in the 80’s so here’s the real thing!

Whisht @whisht

Final one for tonight.

@bluesqueakpip – massive apologies but classical is (yet another) blind spot for me, (I’ll re-read The Rest is Noise as I loved it!).

This guy is more well known than I had realised (I came across him randomly years ago and then buy anything I see of his as its just too achingly beautiful). Not Russian, true, but Estonian.
    Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten.
    Is a cantus bell the same as a cloister bell…?

I never tire of this music:

is basically Muse doing blatant theme tune rip off. 

I’d agree. I’ve been listening to Muse all night, and every time I hear ‘Uprising’ I’m looking for the blue box in the background.

Don’t panic @whisht, it’s more that I’m surrounded by people who are into classical – and since I have no particular objection to being dragged along to an opera, you tend to pick stuff up. 🙂

janetteB @janetteb

Muse, Madness and Arvo Part. Brilliant but where is Ghost Town? It is now offically Who related.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig. Thanks for infected. “The The” or “t’ t'” as they are marketed in Yorkshire (Joke copyright 1986).

Love that run of releases. I think this is my favourite though. A remix of “This is the day”.

“That was the Day”.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift lovely and puts me in mind of Roxy Music’s “If there is something”

(which I probably won’t be able to embed!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdSnRvL_CKc&feature=player_detailpage

Phaseshift Edit You may have missed @whisht‘s advice above. I really don’t like doing this but just copy and paste the YouTune LINK I.e the ht…… etc, without creating a link and post. The Wordress Host does the rest.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

You’re one of the few people I’ve come across online who knows of Ed. You splendid chap!

I originally got to know the name because he worked with New Model Army who were so associated with Bradford the NME asked “why do they bother to tour? Why not just play 30 nights in Queen’s Hall”.

Hearing their stuff always reminds me of University days. All those dodgy nightclubs. In particular Champaign’s (groan) where the carpet sucked at your feet and there should have been a “Now wipe your boots” sign before exiting onto the street. Marvellous times. Here’s Ed looking much younger, but then didn’t we all back in early 90s?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

So this track sums up where I was about 5 years ago… all you need is a kick drum, a hi-hat and a snare, and some sort of bass. Am actually not sure my opinion has changed since then 😀

“I don’t need fire coming out of the walls…” Peace Division have been producing great dance music for years.

Won’t be, probably, to anyones taste!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@craig I enjoyed it! I spent a fair bit of the ’90s being into dance music.

In that vein have Coil’s “The Snow”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pIXfA2p27A

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@juniperfish

Apologies – I took hold of your post because you are having trouble with the format. If you would like a fun recomendation in turn for your Roxy Music, can I suggest you download the first 50secs of this to your Mobile. 🙂

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift – thanks for fixing it! I am just copying a url from YouTube straight into a text post, but?

The Roxy tune would be great as a ring-tone 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@juniperfish

Yep – just the base http code for YouTube stuff. Don’t create a link, just the raw address.

That Roxy track is the best ring tone and has saved my ass once and a while. Believe me.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift – Ta, got Ed’s Purple Electric Violin Concerto album back in 92 (when I was 18). Enjoyed all the busking on youtube too. I think I saw him on daytime tv once when he had a covers lp out…

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.