Praxeus

Home Forums Episodes The Thirteenth Doctor Praxeus

This topic contains 52 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

@winston    I heartily agree that ‘single-using’ plastic is generally a mistake and an environmental crime.   ‘Single-use’ plastic supermarket bags are now banned here (NZ), to my chagrin.   I reckon in terms of useful payload per pound of wasted plastic they were probably the most efficient form of packaging ever; also for me they were never single-use, they were free packaging, went in a basket for re-use and could be scrunched up into a tiny ball to fit in your pocket in case you ever needed to wrap something while out wandering, and re-used until they fell apart.   And also, plastic that thin will be the quickest to UV degrade and crumble to dust.

Bottled water is another bugbear of mine.   The energy cost of encasing tons of water in plastic and shipping it all over the world is an environmental crime, whatever happens to the bottles afterwards.    If the tap water is safe to drink (which it is for 90% of the developed world) why would any sane person spend money and effort lugging home tiny bottles of overpriced – tap water?   Sadly, people do.   (I do drink a lot of water,  I use a couple of old Pepsi bottles, and a bottle of ‘Volcan’ water that I bought in the Bois de Vincennes (Paris) in 2017 (all refilled with ordinary tap water, of course).   I’m curious to see how long it lasts in daily use – I think my bottles have repaid their energy cost).

It’s very hard to cut down on incoming plastic because it’s often the most convenient packaging.   Which is not to say it’s not frequently over-used.

‘Stay safe and plant a tree’ – I like that!

winston @winston

@dentarthurdent    We use those plastic bags to line our wet winter boots if we can’ t wait to wear them before they dry. I have used a plastic shortening container for so long it is breaking apart but it is such a handy size! Like your bottles it has paid for itself.  I have a big metal thermos that I take everywhere, it is great for camping, hiking or just going for a long walk and stopping for a cuppa. A fabulous invention. I call him “Thermy” and he is about 20 yrs old.

It is Canada Day today so BBQ and picnics but I have found Praxeus and I will watch it next rainy day.

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

@winston     Ah, thermos flasks.   They’re the practical answer to the question that catches out most people, “Is space cold?”   Or, “If your space suit failed, wouldn’t you instantly freeze?”   (I’m thinking of the episode ‘Oxygen’ there).     And the answer is, space is technically extremely cold, but it’s also a vacuum and a near-perfect insulator, the only way you’d lose heat is by radiation.   (So you would take a long time to cool down).    And in case anyone doubts that, I’d just refer them to a Thermos flask.

Anyway, I might re-watch Praxeus too, I think I’ve talked out my cringe at the Message and, discounting that, the rest of the ep was quite good.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.