S33 (7) 10 – Hide

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor S33 (7) 10 – Hide

This topic contains 455 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 451 through 456 (of 456 total)
  • Author
    thommck @thommck

@shazzbot They filmed Enigma at Chicheley Hall which is near where I live and they held auditions for extras in my town. It was a really fun day even though it’s mainly hanging around in costume from 8am-8pm! Still not bad getting £100 for that :).

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the film. I wanted to get it on blu ray now I have an HD TV but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore. You’d need the hi-def to spot me! I’m right at the end playing cricket while the credits roll up. My mother-in-law can be seen pushing a bike around in some outdoor scenes. My wife can be spotted looking aghast when Dougray swears out loud in the house.

I’d love to be an extra in Doctor Who but I think they probably only bother hiring professionals

janetteB @janetteb

Now I will have to watch Enigma again and look out for you and your family @thommck.

When I was young I wanted to operate a dalek. Had I known that they filmed Dr Who at Elstree I would definitely have made enquires about doing extra work. (Lived just down the road for a time.)

Sorry Topic Dalek. Back to Hide now.

Cheers

Janette

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I can’t remember if this was a “thing” on this blog, but I can remember criticism on the G episode review that the Blue Crystal shouldn’t exist because “it” was lost at the end of Planet of the Spiders. With the endorsement of the Big Finish Doctor Eight stuff, he picked it up in this two part story. I didn’t even bother to mention it before, because of the fairly inevitable “but that not canon”. So – anyone puzzled has an answer.

Part one – The Eight Truths (Link to BF)
    Part two – Worldwide Web (Link to BF)

thommck @thommck

Just re-watched this one on my lunch break and it still manages to be scary in broad daylight in the staff canteen!

I think this is one of my favourite episodes in this whole series. The story has some great twists and it would have been just as good a story if the Doctor wasn’t in it as much.

I also like how it emphasizes the human-ness of Clara and the alien-ness of the Doctor during the bit where he takes the photos from the entire history of Earth.

The bit where Clara is “flying” the TARDIS still doesn’t make much sense but I think I can justify it as an “emergency protocol”.

A line of note is “Paradoxes tidy themselves up … most of the time” which is a handy get-out clause!

Not sure if there are many clues in this episode, apart from maybe blood calling out to blood across time and the echo/pocket universe.

LadyBMc @ladybmc

There is an impressive looking lamp in this episode and it’s totally distracting me! It’s in the sitting room, and it looks so quintessentially 1960s/70s, with a super tall floral printed lamp shade and a base in an oval shape. I just spent the last 20 minutes bopping all over Google trying as many combinations of search terms as I could think of. If anyone knows the set piece I’m referring to and where I can get some information about it, I would be so so grateful!

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

‘Hide’. My vague recollection is that one-word titles are often ‘small’ episodes but among the best. Blink. Listen. Midnight. Umm, Rose. Dalek. Gridlock. 42 – well, there’s always an exception. Flatline. Smile – maybe. Oxygen. Extremis. (Rosa Kerblam Resolution Spyfall Praxeus – obviously the rule fails with Chibnall).

Anyway, back to Hide – this is all good spooky stuff.

“Doctor?” “Yes?” “I may be a teeny, tiny bit terrified.” “Yes?” “But I’m still a grown-up.” “Mainly, yes, and?” “There’s no need to actually hold my hand.” “Clara.” “Yeah?” “I’m not holding your hand.” Classic. An oldie but a goodie, works every time.

The romance between Emma and Palmer (who doesn’t want to admit it) is nicely handled.

Is the orange space suit the Doc uses on primordial Earth, and old dead Earth, the same one he got (as Ten) in The Satan Pit? It has a remarkably long life. (In terms of episodes, not just in terms of time travel). But that excursion prompts Clara to feel the awful existential vastness of time. “One minute you’re in 1974 looking for ghosts, but all you have to do is open your eyes and talk to whoever’s standing there. To you, I haven’t been born yet, and to you I’ve been dead one hundred billion years. But here we are, talking. So I am a ghost. To you, I’m a ghost. We’re all ghosts to you.” To which all the Doc can say is, “You are the only mystery worth solving.”

The bubble universe floating in space is vertiginously scary, and beautifully done. As is the spookiness of the forest. And then the Doctor loses the place where he left the rope.

So I think I understand it this time round – Emma is creating a virtual copy of Palmer’s house in the bubble universe to guide the Doctor and Hila ‘home’.

The monster makers have excelled themselves with the misshapen creature in the forest.

Love how the Tardis interface chooses Clara as ‘the person Clara most esteems’. As Clara says, “You cow!”

And the reason the Doc came to Palmer’s house was – to ask Emma, as an empath, what nature of girl Clara is. Answer: Quite ordinary.

And I like the coda, that the ugly monster we saw glimpses of – was two, one in the house and one needing a lift. And, it gives a meaning to that stock hand-holding sequence.

So we don’t find out where the Doctor (presumably) takes Hila – one assumes the paradoxes would be too great if she stayed with her great-ancestors. But I guess we don’t really need to know.

I really like this episode.

Viewing 6 posts - 451 through 456 (of 456 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.