S33 (7) 11 – Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor S33 (7) 11 – Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

This topic contains 656 replies, has 53 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 1 year ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 651 through 657 (of 657 total)
  • Author
    Syrkadian @syrkadian

Anybody have an idea where one could buy hanging lights like these?

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

650 comments on this episode so far? Wow, it certainly outdid its predecessors in fan interest! Also (from a quick sampling) wild or arcane theories. I’m not even going to try to theorise.

Random impressions –

This Doctor is showing a very tough ruthless streak. Sets the self-destruct to 30 minutes unless the thugs help him find Clara. Doesn’t matter that there was no self-destruct – I believed it, so did they.

The Tardis is full of loot (sorry, mementoes) from previous eps – the telescope from Tooth and Claw for example. And the famous swimming pool. And the Library, truly impressive.

But also a truly scary creature that pursues Clara.

Some of the Tardis concepts are fascinating. The reconfiguration ‘machine’. The Encyclopaedia Gallifreyica – bottles of words.

And the Tardis is fighting back – reconfiguring into a maze. But then protecting the humans by creating spare console rooms after Tricky gives back the easter egg ‘circuit’.

But what are the scary burnt creatures? And ‘running through corridors’ has never been so well, or so effectively, done.

The more I re-watch this episode, the more I like it. Partly at least because the plot becomes easier to follow with prior acquaintance.

At least till the Big Friendly Reset Button. I’m not quite sure how that works. Well, it takes them back to the critical moment in time where they can nullify the events of the episode – but how exactly does it do that? Timey-wimey…

Still, I enjoyed (re)watching this ep much more than I expected to.

janetteB @janetteb

@dentarthurdent It is a fun episode with some good moments. I liked the reveal that the younger brother was not an android but human and I have always enjoyed those rare episodes that show us a little of what lies behind the console room. They certainly do it much better than old Who did with the very obvious warehouse or factory interior. We never really did find out what it was that Clara read in the book though.

Cheers

Janette

Um, what Clara read in the book. The name of the Doctor? Other than that I can’t hazard a guess. Don’t really know if there was something that would have revealed itself in a later scene and got cut for time, or just got lost.

If the ep had been written by the Moff I’m pretty sure it would have been tied up at some point, but it was written by (googles – ) Steve Thompson. He did a pretty good job though.

Going off topic (now that’d be a first on this site), I just watched Sherlock – Scandal in Belgravia again. My favourite ep, and not just because of the breathtaking appearance of Irene Adler, oh no. The battle of wits (and unacknowledged emotions) between her and Sherlock are a joy to watch. It demands and rewards full concentration. Great casting, by the way, the two of them are totally believable.

… speaking of which, just started watching The Hounds of Baskerville and the last shot of the pre-title sequence is a guy standing in the exact quarry in the woods that was used for Robin Hood’s lair in Robot of Sherwood.

winston @winston

@dentarthurdent  This episode is one of the scariest and I never watch it in the dark. On the other hand it is so nice to be able to see more of the TARDIS! Wouldn’t it be great to get a tour?

I have read Sherlock Holmes stories since I was a kid and I have watched so many different movies and TV shows with many great performances of Sherlock and Watson but this is my favourite. A friend told me about it and I was skeptical of a modern Holmes but I watched a Study in Pink and I was a fan. What a cast! All the actors are are so good but apart from Cumberbatch and Freeman, who are perfect in their roles , I am obsessed with Moriarty. His name has escaped me but he is intensely crazy and crazily intense. He would make an interesting Master.

I also love Mrs. Hudson and often tell the Mister “Not your housekeeper dear”.

Play safe

@winston “This episode is one of the scariest and I never watch it in the dark.” I’m guessing there that you’re referring to The Hounds of Baskerville? Agree about the scary. As it happens Mrs D was at her cousin’s so I watched it late last night, alone in the house. I’ve got a lot better about being alone in the house at night in recent years. But I still watched it with my eyes half shut ready to shut them if anything too scary happened. And the storyline was easier to follow this time around (which is often the case).

I recall watching the pilot 60-minute A Study in Pink years ago. It was okay, but didn’t really grab me. I got the boxset but didn’t watch it for ages – but now I’m a confirmed fan. Definitely the best Holmes series. And the casting – specially Holmes, Watson and LeStrade, but everyone else too, is excellent.

Back to Journey to the Centre of the Tardis – that may be the most we’ll ever get to see of the Tardis interior. But (for obvious reasons) nobody’s ever made a map of the Tardis. I’m not sure if it would be physically possible to draw it on paper, quite aside from the Tardis’ habit of reconfiguring itself.

Viewing 7 posts - 651 through 657 (of 657 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.