The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos

Home Forums Episodes The Thirteenth Doctor The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos

This topic contains 103 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  imnotastoxicasmyoldusernamewouldsuggest 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 101 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    ichabod @ichabod

Yes, you’re right!  I remember that one — I saw both versions, and frankly I can’t remember what, if any, differences the differences made.  But of course that says more about me than about the movie . . ,

nerys @nerys

@ichabod There was a pretty key difference in the two films, and I’m sort of reluctant to discuss it without some sort of spoiler tag (for anyone who hasn’t seen the director’s cut of Blade Runner). If you haven’t seen it, and want to, then don’t venture beyond this point:

***SPOILER***

In the original theatrical release with voice-over, there are fewer hints that Deckard is a replicant. I remember watching the voice-over version on HBO, and it never occurred to me that he might be a replicant. But in the director’s cut, it is far more strongly implied that Deckard is a replicant. I agree with @craig that, while the director’s cut is by far the superior version, the voice-over version has a nice film noir texture to it.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@nerys, @ichabod, @craig

I suppose this discussion really should be over on the Films thread, but I also suppose spoilers are less of an issue when it comes to Blade Runner, as it seems unlikely than there is anyone with internet access who is not aware of the film.

For me, it will always be the original theatrical version with the voice-over. I saw it when it came out and it was simply overwhelming. The voice-over worked precisely because of the noir-ish feel it conveyed. I have always felt the subsequent directorial tinkering actually diminished the film as implanting a suggestion that Deckard was a replicant undercut what was surely part of the powerful message of the original theatrical version–that Deckard, as a human, actually contained less “humanity” that the replicant/slave Roy Batty, played so mesmerisingly by Rutger Hauer.

My issues with this episode:

1) The return of Tim Shaw or whatever he’s called is very predictable

2)By the end of the episode nothing has really happened that is as catastrophic as normal series finales which made me very disappointed as I thought this episode could really do well

3) The supposedly very dangerous atmosphere of the planet that could supposedly drive people insane only gives the Doctor and Yaz a headache which is very wasted potential

4)The resolution for this episode is very much a cop out with Tim Shaw just being put in stasis

Positives:

1) Graham is stellar in this episode giving deep lines and some good jokes

Viewing 4 posts - 101 through 104 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.