Doctor Who News (2)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (2)

This topic contains 951 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 952 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

This is the News thread for official news, which is usually text / images posted on the BBC’s site. If you do come across a spoiler somewhere else and want to post it, we have a Spoilers thread.

Please note that The Radio Times is growing increasingly spoilerish with their publication of episode plot details in advance of anything the BBC has officially released, so please think twice before you post in ‘News’ rather than ‘Spoilers’ something from the Radio Times.

Please see our Etiquette page for further information about how this site views spoilers.

(This is a continuation of the Doctor Who News (1) thread which was nearing its posting limit.)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I posted about Big Finish doing their own “Five Doctors” anniversary release a good while back, but the details are a bit firmer now.

The Light at the End sees Doctors 4-8 thrown together, with a bunch of assistants in audio form. It’s released on CD, a special edition CD with more extras and a very limited edition vinyl run (500) with a marvellous lenticular image which can be viewed on this news story. Although priced at £99 that is still going to be snapped up.

The special edition CD is £40 (£25 for download), and the standard 2 CD set is £14.99 (12.99 for download).

I’ve speculated before that this venue may see some additional audio work done for the 50th Anniversary TV special.

By the way, if you’ve been put off sampling the audio adventures in the past due to cost, the first 50 produced by Big Finish are on promotion at the moment, available to download at £2.99. It includes the very well regarded Spare Parts which sees the fifth doctor at the creation of the original Mondasian Cybermen.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Ah, a nice, new news thread. Thanks @Shazzbot

Unless I’ve missed some posts (and I do try to read everything) I’m surprised these stories haven’t been posted. They’re more rumour than news, but not in any way spoilers (or the Rani will get me).

Moffat did an Ad-Lib event at the Edinburgh Festival, basically an improv show, and either let his mouth run away with him, or lied through his teeth (Rule 1, so don’t believe a word).

J.K.Rowling may write one of the few remaining short stories to mark the 50th Anniversary.
    http://www.hypable.com/2013/08/21/jk-rowling-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-short-story/

Peter Jackson may direct an episode – possibly featuring the daleks, and possibly written by fellow New Zealand resident Neil Cross.
    http://www.hypable.com/2013/08/22/peter-jackson-to-direct-episode-of-doctor-who/

The Doctor can only regenerate 12 times (LOL, as the kids say)
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/22/steven-moffat-confirms-doctor-who-can-only-regenerate-12-times-3933733/

And Capaldi to be an ‘older, trickier and fiercer’ Doctor (interesting as Matt had an undercurrent of rage) and will probably keep his Scottish accent (Yay!).
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/21/peter-capaldi-to-retain-scottish-accent-for-doctor-who-reveals-steven-moffat-3933388/

I actually believe the ‘older’ bit.

Anonymous @

Ha ha @craig – they were posted on the Spoilers thread by @wolfweed yesterday:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/spoilers/page/10/#post-16505

I referenced one of them on the old News thread:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/doctor-who-news/page/19/#post-16508

However, they’ve since appeared on the Radio Times site so by our own rules, they’re OK to appear here now, too.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Missed that. I have definitely too much work on at the mo. 🙁

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig

Oh well, many thanks, I hadn’t seen those covered. I was hoping the AdLib stuff was going to be recorded for broadcast on R4 (with BBC Worldwide listed as an investor on the Chortle news coverage I linked to announcing it), but no sign so far.

The JK Rowling one is a funny one. Back in January when we talked about the First Doctor release by Eoin Colfer I said there were rumours about her involvement, but I’m buggered if I can remember where I read it now. I could really see her tackle 11 somehow, and that would be a big publicity coup for November.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    TardisBlue @tardisblue

@phaseshift

Thanks for the heads up about the Big Finish promotion. I’m an absolute newbie when it comes to Doctor Who audio, and don’t have a lot of spare change these days, so this is great news all around. And thanks for recommending Spare Parts.

@everyone: Do you have any other recommendations from the first 50 stories? Any authors who are especially well-regarded? Any authors or stories that someone on a budget should take a pass on ATM? FYI, here’s a link http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released/monthly-series/page:6. The first 50 are on pages 6-8.

And if you know of any well-regarded audio stories legally available for free or at an incredibly reduced price on the web, I’d love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance.

TardisBlue

janetteB @janetteb

Moffat’s interview was indeed full of little gems of information or hints at least. I would not be at all surprised if J.K.Rowling writes the story of the eleventh. I am certain that she would love to do it too. Likewise I am certain that Moffat and Jackson would have talked Dr Who and discussed potential collaborations as “maybe’s” or “if only’s” while working on Tin Tin so now it’s a matter of S.M calling P.J and saying, “remember that idea we were tossing about over a few ales at the front bar of the Green Dragon. Well I was thinking…”

cheers

Janette

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@janetteb

Cheers to you! I thought the school costumes of your son and his friend were wonderful. If you’re up for sharing a picture or two I’d love to see them. (And if you’d prefer not to post your child’s picture in a public forum, I’d totally understand.)

TardisBlue

janetteB @janetteb

@tardisblue. I intend to post pics, (once I work out how to) but right now I am making room on my laptop to download the pics from my camera so it may take a little while. 🙂

Cheers

Janette

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@tardisblue

I’m not sure how many followers of the audio we have, but if you want some recommendations that cover the Doctors available in this offer:

For Five, I’d recommend Spare Parts as mentioned above, and if you want a taste of those additional stories that expand the travels with Peri I mentioned on the Androzani blog try Red Dawn which features the Ice Warriors.

I have a well known problem with Six, but I will recommend Jubilee. It’s a Dalek story written by Robert Shearman and contains the seeds for what later became the Christopher Ecclestone Dalek story he wrote.

For Seven I’d stick with the Doctor and Ace partnership, and recommend Genocide Machine or Dust Breeding.

And for Eight, I’d recommend his initial story in which he meets his new companion Charley Pollard, Edwardian Adventuress (link to wiki). Storm Warning is interesting, and it’s follow up Sword of Orion, is very good – another Cybermen one.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

@wolfweed — that’s a great interview with SM. Lots of good stuff in there…

janetteB @janetteb

Thanks for the links The Moffat interview was very interesting. I liked his remark “Your bookcase doesn’t tell you when you can read. Why should your television tell you when you can watch?”. That is exactly what I have always thought.

cheers

Janette

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@phaseshift

A heartfelt thank you for taking the time to highlight some recommended early Big Finish audiotapes. Much appreciated. (And I feel guilty for not thanking you sooner, but I haven’t been around much recently. My bad.)

TardisBlue

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

@wolfweed — that is probably one of the best interviews with SM I’ve ever seen. We’ve seen a snippet of the ‘future of TV’ stuff before but the rest was fascinating. Good advice on writers’ block too…

I think the key word in the Robbie Williams story is ‘briefly’. Briefly considered to play an animated Doctor. So, for about 3 seconds, then…

And who on earth would want a 7th Doctor jersey. I mean, even the 7th Doctor himself was clearly less than thrilled about wearing it. Quite like the paisley scarf though…

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Greetings all. It has been a while since I have popped by. A bit busy, lately. Retirement, emigration; you know, the usual stuff.

But since I was back in the Qantas Club Lounge (the emigration bit) it seemed only right and proper that I go back online.

I have no idea what has been said here over the last couple of weeks, but has anyone talked about whether SM’s comments about PC’s Doctor arriving as a slightly more irritable Doctor sounds dangerously close to Colin Baker territory? Of course, I (like the rest of us) have faith on both SM and PC to do something far better than that. But 2014 does seem an awfully long way away!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

PC’s Doctor arriving as a slightly more irritable Doctor sounds dangerously close to Colin Baker territory? 

@blenkinsopthebrave – emigration? Permanent or temporary?

Yes, it does tend to raise PTST type flashbacks to Colin Baker, but I suspect the thought in the minds of SM and PC is ‘William Hartnell’. He definitely had his ‘irritable’ moments – and it will fit with this ‘eternal circle’/’back to the beginning’ theme that’s sort of coalescing around the 50th.

janetteB @janetteb

I don’t think anyone other than Colin Baker would think veering in the dirction of his Doctor would be a good thing. 🙂

Are you departing these sunny shores for ever @blenkinsopthebrave? If so I hope you have time to visit the Dr Who exhibition in Sydney before you head off.

Cheers

Janette

Hello @bluesqueakpip. Yes, the emigration is permanent. I am literally undertaking the move as I write this, as I am typing from the Admirals Club Lounge at LA, having just finished the first 13 hour leg of the journey. I am on my way (from one overly sunny colony) to the slightly cooler colony to the north of where I (briefly) find myself.

A return to the spirit of Hartnell–now that I would be very much in favour of.

Hello @janetteb. Forever? Well, that is a very strong word. I am sure I will be back, but only occasionally, not permanently.

Do you know that the lead-up to the move was so chaotic I was even unaware of Sydney exhibition. Drat! And now I am gone! Double drat!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave

My friend, I live in awe at your and @whohar s ability to leapfrog around the planet. I hope you remembered to pack your replica Quantas Club lounge for erection at your new pad in time for the 50th.

I wish you every success in your move, and hope your access to Who continues to be timely. Happy retirement!

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave – hope you’re settled in your new home after your long flights, and sorting out the boxes as I type.

There’s an Open Thread on the Guardian about The Onion’s 25-year anniversary asking for people’s favourite headlines.  Mine no longer appears even in their archives, but a Canadian friend pointed it out to me when it appeared in the 90s:

Perky ‘Canada’ has own laws, government

[It’s the quotes around Canada that get me every time]

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Austin2492 @austin2492

Will there be a DVD or blu ray of the 50th anniversary, or is there somewhere like YouTube or the bbc website that be here it could be viewed after it airs. I don’t have cable and really want to see the anniversery episode

Will there be a DVD or blu ray of the 50th anniversary

@austin2492 – Yes. Suggesting to BBC Worldwide that they not put out a DVD or Blu-ray is a bit like trying to convert the Pope to Buddhism. Sometimes they’re so enthusiastic, they put them out before the episode has even aired…

There are also some rumours of theatre showings. Information will probably be available nearer the time.

😀

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I don’t know. You mention you wouldn’t mind Charlie Higson as a wild card writer, and then Armando Iannucci throws his hat into the ring, declaring he’d love to write for old mucker Peter Capaldi in the series. Would be fantastic if he did.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a512514/doctor-who-armando-iannucci-would-love-to-write-for-peter-capaldi.html

I can still remember my absolute surprise when other Sitcom writers like Simon Nye and Richard Curtis bashed out episodes like Amy’s Choice and Vincent and the Doctor for series 5.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Whisht @whisht

I actually heard Iannucci being interviewed on the Danny Baker radio show, talking about Capaldi and Doctor Who.

Now he’s mentioned it again…. good!

As I said here in a previous post 15672– pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!!

🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    chickenelly @chickenelly
    janetteB @janetteb

Thanks for putting up that link @chickenelly. I read the article this morning. I am glad that he had enjoyed his Who experience and found the fans to be pleasant people. I think a little bit of fantasy role play or indulgence in escapism is healthy, provided one doesn’t let it take over one’s life but no more harmfull than being to obsessed with a football game to care about the outcome of an election. In fact most of my Who fan friends are far more switched on and caring about real life than the average nine to five, Murdoch media addict. (sorry beginning to rant but I do get really angry when people make the assumption that a love of “fantasy” implies ignorance or indifference to reality and I am feeling rather touchy today.) Other than that it was a good interview. 🙂

Cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed
    chickenelly @chickenelly

@wolfweed thanks for posting the Peter Davison short video for the 2011 fan convention.  I’d never seen it before.  It was wonderfully tongue in cheek and knowing.

Just off to follow the other links now…

janetteB @janetteb

@wolfweed my thanks to for the links. I really enjoyed the Davidson clip. Just what was needed on a dismal overcast Tuesday afternoon in post-election Oz. I don’t recall him being quite so grumpy when he was the Doctor though. I was expecting him to find a Tardis so that he arrived on time after all but it was rather a pity that, when he stepped out onto the stage, he didn’t close the Tardis door behind him.

Cheers

Janette

Possible material for mad speculation: the BBC website is again highlighting the P.S. scene for the Ponds.

Rory and Amy PS

Of course, it may simply be because Time of Angels was repeated on the BBC last week, but I’m sure we can do better than that. 😀

thommck @thommck

I’m back from a lenghty holiday and I bring fresh news of the anniversary, ripped straight from the wonderful DoctorWhoNews.net

The BBC have revealed some details about their programming for the Fiftieth Anniversary celebrations, which will include:
    • The Anniversary Special itself, which has been named The Day of the Doctor and will be 75 minutes long.
    • The 90 minute drama An Adventure in Space and Time
    • A Culture Show special by Matthew Sweet, entitled Me, You and Doctor Who
    • A BBC Radio 2 documentary entitled Who is Doctor Who
    • A repeat run of a restored version of the very first story, An Unearthly Child, on BBC Four
    Exact times will be revealed at a later date.
    Note: the news item has since been removed from the BBC News site

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/09/50th-anniversary-100913140008.html

Anonymous @

Don’t think this really merits the Spoilers section, so I’ll pop it here. Location pics from the filming of the Christmas special, including Matt in wig…

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/film-tv/doctor-whos-latest-cosmic-gadget-5874503

Personally I think the TARDIS prop looks a bit on the plasticky side, the whole thing looks a bit crew-lite to be bona fide filming and the actual location suspiciously un-Christmas Special-like. If I were the cynical type, I’d say that this is a front to possibly distract from filming elsewhere and perpetuate the idea that Matt will indeed be the Doc after November.

My money at the moment would be on the Christmas Special being a studio-bound affair, filmed under tight security and with Mr Capaldi taking a prominent role…

@jimthefish – I admit the scenes photographed would be awfully easy to arrange, so probably not a spoiler as such. Matt and Jenna for a day, plus the outdoor TARDIS. I suppose there could be more crew out of shot. And what the heck is Michael Pickwoad doing there? That location didn’t look complicated enough to need the production designer on set.

Do we need a Christmas Special 2013 for bonkers theorising about the Christmas show?

They’ve certainly gone to the expense of a  very nice wig, so Mr Smith is almost certainly playing the Doctor. Whether he’s playing the current Doctor is another matter. He could easily be a data ghost – like River in the Name of The Doctor. They could also be using the new haircut to have him playing two easily distinguishable parts. Dopplegangers ahoy!

If they wanted Mr Capaldi in the Christmas Special, a number of regenerations have involved the Doctor having to hole up in a room somewhere. The Tennant Doctor, of course, spent most of the episode peacefully asleep (with Mr Tennant probably enjoying a bit of method acting).

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — actually @wolfweed has posted another pic in Spoilers that certainly has more in the way of production tents and so on in it, so maybe it is bona fide after all.

Mind you, throwing up a few tents is not exactly going to break the bank so I’m still slightly suspicious.

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/09/tv-choice-2013-100913090008.html

Doctor Who was named the Best Drama Series for the fourth year running at last night’s TV Choice Awards
    z

chickenelly @chickenelly

@all

Despite enjoying a conspiracy/bonkers theory as much as anyone on this forum, I can’t help thinking that it is indeed the filming of the Xmas special.  If only for the fact that it would be a huge waste of public money – considering the flak the BBC is currently taking re: redundancy payouts.

If however it turns out to be an expensive decoy, I shall be writing to my MP immediately!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 952 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (2)’ is closed to new replies.