Doctor Who News (2)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (2)

This topic contains 951 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 952 total)
  • Author
    chickenelly @chickenelly

…However it could be that Matt regenerates quite quickly in the episode (would that wig hold up to 60 minutes of fan scrutiny?) and it is indeed the Capaldi show…

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish and @chickenelly – as young Chickenelly says, I suspect that any outside filming is a) genuinely needed and b) as misleading as possible.

We’ve just had an entire episode where a very dead River Song played a very active part. Which means they can now have an equally dead Smith Doctor playing a very active part; his electronic avatar could be psychically linked to Clara. They could have rows and everything. 🙂

They could have Matt also playing a doppleganger – provided all the scenes sans wig are in a closed off studio.

And they can now bring Mr Capaldi on set, very publicly, and have Mr Smith and Mr Capaldi film their respective regeneration scenes, equally publicly – and then insert those scenes into the 50th Anniversary Special. There’s time for that. They can even publicly film a scene (or two) between the Capaldi Doctor and Clara, just like the very brief scene between the Tennant Doctor and Rose.

They managed to sneak Clara into Asylum of the Daleks, after all. It’s doable. Write something where Peter Capaldi’s mainly: on one set, interacting with other characters by voice, or unconscious. You could film that in a day, especially if you’re able to squeeze in a tele-prompter for any lines.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — Yeah, I’m inclined to agree with all of that. And also with @chickenelly‘s assertion that the Beeb wouldn’t dare ‘waste’ money on something that was purely decoy alone…

Looking forward to seeing PC in costume and imagine that it won’t be much longer until we see that…

@wolfweed – your TV choice link in #17136 actually linked to a very spoilery youtube clip of the filming.

Can you please be careful? I don’t mind the occasional location still showing that ‘oh, yeah, Matt Smith’s in it (surprise) and Jenna Coleman’s in it (surprise) and they’re in their costumes (I may faint at the shock),’ but I don’t want to see any acting, thanks. The reason I don’t go into the Spoilers forum is that once I’ve clicked on any links, I can’t not watch.

Even without dialogue, that scene suggested a bit more than I wanted to know. 🙁

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip Really sorry. Thanks for the warning. I’ve posted the wrong link in #17136 by accident. It should be:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/09/tv-choice-2013-100913090008.html

Can @jimthefish or someone remove it or fix for me please. Apologies.

chickenelly @chickenelly
    chickenelly @chickenelly

…at the bottom of the above page it’s got a comments/opinion section. Oh dear, methinks a lot of abuse might be coming their way…

janetteB @janetteb

Not sure that the second link from @wolfweed isn’t potentially even more spoilery than the first because there was one thing mentioned there that I am considering discussing in the spoilers thread just in case. I don’t want to upset anyone. 😉

I agree with @chickenelly that the photos of the Christmas special look like the real thing and we will see Matt as the Doctor at least in the beginning. I am rather hoping that they don’t leave the regeneration until the end as is usually done as it would be nice to see P.C. established as the Doctor proper given the long wait until the next series.

cheers

Janette

@chickenelly: they’ve taken it off. 😉 Sounds a fun list of stuff, though. The science behind Doctor Who programme is definitely on my ‘record’ list.

@janetteb – yes, it does sound a bit spoilery; but possibly not. He is, after all, David Tennant’s father-in-law and is already part of the official 50th Anniversary events. It’s @wolfweed‘s #17105 list of news items that really makes me deeply suspicious. One of them sounds like a very literal take on ‘doth protest too much’.

My current guess (and it is a guess) is that every living Doctor has at least a voice-over line. The only ones not in it will be the ones who didn’t want to be. That’s the reason The Name of The Doctor carefully reminded smaller members of the audience of the many actors who’ve played The Doctor.

The BBC’s Doctor Who site has the full press release.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip et al — It seems to me also like a nice list of shows and events. But I can’t help but feel that the Beeb would have spared itself a world of pain if it had announced a few of these earlier, even broadcast a couple of them over the summer. Though I guess they thought it would be better to clusterbomb them around the anniversary period.

The highlight for me will definitely be the Cox thing. I was a big fan of The Science of Doctor Who book a few years back so if this is half as good, I’ll be happy. If it turns out to be like Cox ‘taking a bad pill’, I’ll be even more delighted:

Anonymous @

@janetteb — Davison is kind of like Who royalty these days so I guess it’s definitely possible that he’d be given a script just for the hell of it. But I think you might be right and that he may well be making an appearance in Day of the Doctor (I’ve now decided that I really quite like that title) if only in voiceover.

I’m already beginning to feel a vibe of distant squee on the horizon….

@jimthefish and @janetteb

he’d be given a script just for the hell of it.

Not just for the hell of it; it’s the actor in me. He’s David Tennant’s father-in-law and a former Doctor himself; if he officially has his own copy of the script, he and David Tennant can legitimately discuss how to play scenes – and quite possibly run the lines.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — totally agree. That was kind of what I meant by ‘Doctor Who royalty’. 😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

Can @jimthefish or another moderator please remove or fix post #17136 and also #17144 if people feel that’s a spoiler too. Cheers.

I’m off to the naughty step…

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed I’ve fixed the link. Sorry about the delay.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

The BBC has issued a large version of the poster for those who want a close up look at all the teaser images in the background. Just click the pic below:

Day of the Doctor 50th Anniversaryposter

wolfweed @wolfweed

Thanks, @craig.

I think that Tennant will say to Hurt (in a Michael Caine style), ”I told you not to blow the bloody doors off!”

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@wolfweed

although my memory may be failing, in one so ancient, but my memory of watching the movie when it first came out was that the line was:

“You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!”

(which sort of fits the poster)

thommck @thommck

I love this poster.

Does 10’s floppy fringe mean anything or is it just to hide his wrinkles?

The Hurt Doctor in this pic could almost be an older Doctor 11, look at that chain on his waistcoat!

Why is 11’s bow tie so big?

I’ve been looking at this poster for too long and think I may have spotted a hidden alien down by Hurt’s foot.
    Hidden Alien
    I don’t recognise it, some sort of bony fish face with a big hat on, but thought it might be a classic creature that I hadn’t heard of.

@thommck – my reply got very Day of the Doctor specific, so I’ve replied to you in that thread.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

A few weeks ago, I sent an e-mail to Radio 4Extra enquiring about their plans, if any, for the 50th Anniversary. This morning I finally got their reply:-

We don’t have any details available at present, but there are plans to celebrate the anniversary, hopefully with some Big Finish material.

Sounds promising. Hopefully, they’ll be previously un-broadcast stories, not repeats.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

@wolfweed: If there’s one story I would absolutely love to see, it’s one where the Doctor encounters an elderly Jamie who’s spent his life haunted by dreams about Cybermen, Yetis, Ice Warriors and cute girls from Victorian England and twenty-first century space stations. Where he learns that those were real memories that the Time Lords couldn’t quite delete, and so goes to his grave a happy man. With the Great Intelligence now a major player, perhaps it could be a Yeti story in the Highlands, now feeding off the revolutionary fervour from America and France? If I had any talent, I’d write that story myself.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@arkleseizure Yes, I’d love to see that story too. Are you sure you can’t write it?

We’ve had these of course…
    z
    z

But I prefer your version.
    z

@Shazzbot – and you a topic dalek. I’ve replied to you in the 50th forum.

@everyone, can we keep discussion of the meaning of the poster (rather than announcements about new images/posters, which is news) in the 50th Anniversary Special forum?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@chickenelly @janetteb + @wolfweed

IO9 also reported on the “protest” with a couple of videos which might interest you. There is the higher quality film of the 2011 intro (no audience participation), but also the very funny 2010 film which sets up a lot of the jokes, and features a small cameo by the ever awesome Sheridan Smith.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/ex-doctor-who-stars-protest-due-to-lack-of-classic-doct-1277303301

wolfweed @wolfweed

z@phaseshift Peter Gaviscon!!!!!

chickenelly @chickenelly

Thanks@Phaseshift for the link, yes the 2010 Davison video was just as lovely.  He might be becoming my favourite BG Doctor now….

janetteB @janetteb

Poor Peter. Nobody loves him. 🙂 thanks for the links @phaseshift The prostest certainly does seem like an example of “protesteth too much.” They must MUST have at least voice parts. (fingers crossed.)

Cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60JZxapNFDE
    Doctor Who: The Light at the End trailer – Big Finish
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed
    thommck @thommck

This is one competition worth entering!
    2 tickets for Sunday at the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Celebration!
    http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/09/12/win-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-celebration-tickets/

The competition opens tomorrow (Weds 18th Sept)

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

@thommck – so, they snapped up 2 tickets for Sunday with an eye toward giving them away in a competition?  Remembering all the drama of that ticket day, I’m amazed they were successful!

I wonder what the question is that has to be answered correctly? … well, we’ll find out tomorrow I suppose.

Anonymous @

Finally, I can stop cursing BBC America’s loving embrace of Doctor Who fans, and celebrate that we in the UK will finally be able to taste some of the US fans’ crumbs!

The BBC America documentary series is coming to the UK soon – watch teasers for Doctors One to Nine now

Hailed by many fans as one of the finest programmes about Doctor Who, the 11-part serial focuses an episode on each incarnation of the Time Lord. It has been airing in the US since January – with one instalment shown each month, followed by an adventure featuring the Doctor in question – and will culminate with Matt Smith’s Eleventh in November, when the show celebrates its half-centenary.

@Shazzbot – providing, of course, all of us have a subscription package that includes the Watch channel.

🙂

[Editing this in text mode to see if weirdness results – though I have to say that weirdness doesn’t always result whatever I do.]

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot @bluesqueakpip

Or just hang around here – they’ll come along eventually 😀

It IS ridiculous that the BBC isn’t showing them though. What the f*** are they thinking?

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – I don’t even have a bloody TV, much less a ‘subscription package’, much less to the Watch channel!  (what dat?)

I’m just hoping this is a harbinger for further things available [generally] to us in the UK which have previously only been deigned to be shown to everyone else in the blipping world.  😉

@craig has put on a fix this evening which will hopefully take care of the ‘span’ junk added to modified comments.  Btw, do you, Bluey, generally post from a computer, or a mobile device?  And do you remember if your two comments affected by that previous junk formatting issue were posted from a mobile device?  Or, if from a computer, which browser do you use?

Anonymous @

@craig – ahem.  {cough}  We might have seen those ‘Doctor Revisited’ clips somewhere else already here … 😀

@shazzbot and @craig – laptop and chrome. I very rarely post from mobile devices.

[another deliberate edit, this one from Visual]

I’m not entirely sure what they’re thinking: possibly ‘everyone who wants to watch it has already downloaded it from the Internet?’ 😈

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

@wolfweed

EGGS – STIR – ME – CAKE!

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.combom.co.uk/2013/09/doctor-hulu.html   Hulu to stream Dr Who $$$$$$$
    z

Also, the Tenth Planet DVD has been moved forward to 14th Oct, prompting more speculation about missing episodes of Dr Who having been found…

@bluesqueakpip  Yes, simply whisk the eggs with a Dalek gun…

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.whovianwedding.co.uk/
    The First Mass Doctor Who Wedding in London, England.

50 couples obsessed with the show will get married on November 24. People will be travelling from as far as the US and Canada to participate in the event. The ceremony will take place at The Bloomsbury Ballroom in London. A Doctor Who-themed buffet will follow, while music from the programme will be played by the band. The wedding is open for members of the public to attend.
    z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – shades of Moonie mass weddings there, eh?  🙂

But of course they’re doing it wrong.  @htpbdet ‘s son’s wedding is on the proper day, Sat the 23rd.  I hope we’re all sending our best thoughts and wishes for his recovery, so he can attend that wedding in good health.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 952 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (2)’ is closed to new replies.