General Music thread 2

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 2

This topic contains 1,008 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 1,009 total)
  • Author
    Whisht @whisht

but here’s a song from someone to a friend who’s died

very interesting album btw.

Anonymous @

@whisht great contributions!  I always loved Nick Cave, anywhere and anywhen.  And Sylvian  -again, fantastic and funny.

@arbutus I love Scholl -he did some great Mozart back in the day. I have recording of Magic Flute, actually, it must have been 1990 when I heard those recordings and thus heard a completely different Scholl. A voice like that comes once or twice in a century, I believe. The conducting problem often comes from the baton itself  so using nothing at all is sometimes better. Eventually it is an extension of our right hand. It’s why excellent conductors (unlike those Germans conductors who became known on TV) need only use their baton hand. Penderecki being one of them -but then he was left handed and many found it difficult to follow his requests -particularly the concert master.

(in the middle of the re-watch now) I loved the score in this episode of Who -delicate -no huge & obvious ‘this is the Dr’s theme let’s hear it nice & loud’. Also the Doctor’s marvellous lines: “people see us together and they think you’re melting”; “now come on buck up, I want to see some attitude”.

Kindest, p

Anonymous @

@arbutus  I did love the kiss foreshadowed in the score with a bit of Spanish Tango and percussive guitar ‘snaps’ with shrieky violins. It echoed the Doctor’s feelings and Missy’s too, I hazard! His stick insect look is very much evident as, back to the water tank, hands behind him, he grasps on for dear life with that horrified expression on his face when Clara adds “tongues?” Boy Ilion did the expected “eeuw”.

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht   Those are great! Is the Nick Cave track part of your bonkers theory, by any chance?

@purofilion    With or without actual baton, it made no difference to my bobbing and weaving. I was simply no good at it. Which is fine, as I have never aspired to leadership!

Very good point about the music this week, it was wonderfully subtle, wasn’t it. I didn’t notice it so much as not notice it, if you take my meaning. I will be watching for it on second viewing, though!

Anonymous @

I must also add that Capaldi’s voice, low and sonorous is wonderfully convincing and also comforting? Compared with his regeneration, shouting from the rooftops to the dinosaur: “I will take you home” whilst rocking his arms as if nursing a baby, well, since then, 12 has come a long way! The voice a character employs really connects me with that character, fundamentally.

To me, the voice is part of the score, every bit as important as percussion or keyboards. Even the TARDIS’ clanging warning bell sews that score together to produce a finished platform for viewers

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht

I’m in bits after your Lou Reed post (Songs for Drella is a masterpiece, painfully honest)

I was looking for Bowie’s Queen Bitch, and came up with this version, which is a duet with Lou. So, for the title, and the  line

She’s so swishy in her satin and tat, and her frock coat and bibbity- bobbity hat

ScaryB @scaryb

And thanks to @arbutus and @purofilion for the Orfeo links and info

@craig was close to getting my track of the week for Heaven but I think @whisht‘s Stevie Wonder Misstra Know it All trumps it for the title alone!

(I was going to post Don’t Fear the Reaper but @phaseshift beat me to it several weeks ago! The “Another 40, 000 coming everyday… We can be like they are” line certainly fits well with this week’s story)

Anonymous @

Dark Water Video

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Since we know that Missy’s previous incarnation liked the Scissor Sisters, I present the song she may have been listening to at regeneration. 🙂

Anonymous @

Obvious Missy Master song! XD Over used since Mrs. Doubtfire, but kinda even more fitting with the recent passing of Robin Williams. He was one of my favorite actors.

This one is the only one I could find for Forest of the Night.

TY @lisa for your DW dating video and never change your avatar, it is fantastic! 🙂
    @scaryb I’m not a Bowie fan but I love that song. It cheers me up after listening to @whisht‘s saddest-song-in-history! (Wow really sad song but very good).
    @bluesqueakpip I have a new mission to find that Scissor Sisters reference for the Master. 😉

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Not their best track, by any stetch of the imagination, but I think it works for the Doctor/Master relationship.

Let’s play – Master and Servant.

Whisht @whisht

Well, with Little Red Riding Hood this song always springs to mind.

It was on a mixtape from a mate and I *think* it was the first time I knowingly heard Robert Wyatt (I’d heard Shipbuidling but didn’t know his name I don’t think) and unknowingly heard Ivor Cutler (possibly the best way to start that kind of adventure).

Apart from the title (which is even more resonant than I thought!) I don’t think the lyrics can possibly be bonkerised into a theory!

😉

lisa @lisa

This is my idea of a great “Master” adventure !!!

[love this vid]

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

Anyone else like Blondie?

ScaryB @scaryb

@thekrynoidman

Love Blondie 😀 (thank you)

On topic?

ScaryB @scaryb

And to encapsulate our hopes for tonight’s episode

“make it magnificent…!”

Enjoy the finale’s finale everyone 🙂

Here’s a live version of Ballroom Blitz. I love the hard rock vibe it has.

Whisht @whisht

“ha ha ha!” are the exact words @scaryb I squawked when I saw your reply to @thekrynoidman ! Excellent!

Always liked Blondie though only listen randomly nowadays.

Only a few hours before the episode, and I may have to watch it tomorrow morning!

so… some songs that I found on my hard drive based on Death.
    Annoyingly by bands we’ve had plenty of, but methinks that are liked by many so I won’t let it stop me! 😉

Death is not the end
    (and only by looking for the video do I realise its a Dylan song! There’s a whole thread in that – “songs I didn’t know were covers”)

Death of a Soldier – particularl n this weekend.

The Knock – Drums of Death (UNKLE)
    As a title, seemingly fitting for The Missy. Or Master. Well, there’s knocking, so depends if the regeneration of Missy still hear that.

Love is Stronger Than Death – The The (again). But in terms of a title it has meaningfulnessingness.

But (obviously?) this is the one that gets embedded because (Biblical) Death isn’t in the title as its more about the Biblical Resurrection…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@thekrynoidman

I’m afraid I should mod you. Coming onto a forum with a fair share of 40-something male Doctor Who fans and innocently saying “does anyone like Blondie” should be considered incitement to riot! 😀

Yep – love her. I love this track in particular:

On Ballroom Blitz – I may have posted this before, but I love this version. Bronze records once had The Damned and Motorhead on their books at the same time. They thought a collaboration would be wonderful, and booked a studio. The “MotorDamn” project was born.

They also booked booze, which may have been a mistake. “Philthy Animal” Taylor, drummer of Motorhead, was carted off with alcohol poisoning and the entire thing degenerated in a true rock and roll way.

Ballroom Blitz is a rare survivor of this experience, which helped bankrupt Bronze. Listen to Lemmy on Bass play that bass-line. The guy is a genius on the bass. Even when out of his mind. 😀

and @whisht – ta for “love is stronger than death” by t’ t’, as they are called in Yorkshire. A magnificent track.

Anonymous @

Thanks @thekrynoidman for starting the Blondie trend.  This one fits for Missy chasing the Doctor.

This is my Death Song

Nice video @lisa. That would be be a good DW episode or a new villain.

ScaryB @scaryb

I love coming in here 😀

@whisht Thanks for the Cash link “Man Comes Around”  That’s as devastating to listen to as Lou Reed’s “Hello It’s Me” which you posted earlier! 😥 (A great selection in fact)

@phaseshift – LOL’d at your Blondie comments (and yup, kudos to @thekrynoidman for starting it) and then fell off the sofa at “by t’ t’, as they are called in Yorkshire“. And that Damned track is knock-out

@barnable – 2 fine choices indeed

I’m suggesting this for Death in Heaven, because of the band’s name, general theme of friends and running. It’s  a great song, and, what the hell, I’m just an old hippy at heart, haha

ScaryB @scaryb

A bit of a cheerier song after 11 and 12’s darker themes. For Clara and the Doctor and best friends everywhere –

“I’ll follow you wherever time will take me to…” 🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

Sorry, but I had to!

And here is my more sober contribution (applies to both parts of the finale really):

ScaryB @scaryb

@arbutus Chuckled at the Louis Armstrong one and Lau are always great.

This is a sad one, but it is Remembrance Day. For Danny and all the RL old soldiers who have passed on. (There are many, many versions of this song, this is the original. By a Scotsman now living in Australia)

Anonymous @

thank you for that @scaryb  I was going to add another song but it wouldn’t rightfully stand against the one you’ve chosen. What a lovely voice and a sad time. Kindest, puro.

ScaryB @scaryb

And if the last one didn’t get you rubbing that pesky bit of grit out of your eye, this one surely will! Beautiful version.

Arbutus @arbutus

@scaryb     Thank you! Such a powerful song. I have a June Tabor version, and I have literally never been able to sing it to completion. I choke up every time. And guess what? I’ve just done it again.

“Do not stand…” I knew the poem but not the song. Lovely, and what a beautiful voice the singer has.

Here’s another by Bogle (maybe you had this one in mind, @purofilion?). This version is by John McDermott.

ScaryB @scaryb

@arbutus

Glad you liked it. June Tabor’s version is heartbreaking. I love her take on And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda as well (it was my introduction to Eric Bogle’s world waaaay back).

These songs have been covered many many times in many different genres, it’s interesting hearing different takes on them. Just don’t ever ask me to listen to Joss Stone’s recent cover ever again. My eyes and ears are still bleeding and it was over a week ago 😈 John McDermott’s on the other hand, is lovely, thanks for posting.

Arbutus @arbutus

@scaryb   I thought for a moment you had responded to my other post before you had read it, time travelling again perhaps! Yes, I love June Tabor, she has a lovely low, rich voice, and is so expressive without over singing or over emoting. A beautiful song should sell itself, shouldn’t it?

lisa @lisa

Spent over the past hour surfing thru this music thread and discovered some totally super pieces
    that I hadn’t known about – made a very interesting and enjoyable evening !
    I guess I should thank everyone by contributing a post so as I haven’t seen a lot of jazz and I do
    really like jazz I was thinking of Regina Taylor? She is a very talented jazz violinist
    and I have a few of her cd’s that are among the many I fall back on when I want to have some
    good music in the back round – this is a piece that some one posted of her on You tube

I’ve had this stuck in me head for the past few hours, not that’s a bad thing (well unless you hate The Doors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqQlmtrLyA

Anonymous @

thanks @thekrynoidman  never hated them but always thought they were over-rated. On the ytube site, it’s all ‘oh he changed the last verse’. Yeah, incredibly clever, that. I had to watch Morrison’s bum. Too damn early. 🙂

BadWulf @badwulf

Has anybody here played Mass Effect 2? Part of the soundtrack *really* reminds me of the 11th Doctor – especially the bit from 1 minute and 11 seconds mark in the track “Suicide Mission“:

Apopheniac @apopheniac

I meant to post this in tribute to Dark Water:

Give Me Water – John Forte & Valerie June

There are so many good songs on this thread!  I keep seeing it in the Activity stream and meaning to visit.  With no new Who for several weeks, I might instead spend my time scoffing the choices here.   Really eclectic and wonderful tunes, everyone.

PS @purofilion — re Trololo — someone on a newspaper website posted that in response to a troll and I’ve kept it bookmarked ever since.  But I’ve never listened to more than 3 or so minutes, the whole 10 hours would probably land me in an institution.  🙂

Apopheniac @apopheniac

Hello @lisa

I’ve never heard of Regina Carter.  That’s a really blues-y piece and both uplifting and calming at the same time.  Thanks for sharing.

Hello @scaryb

Is ‘Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep’ your soundtrack for the Death in Heaven ep?

Hello @arbutus

Ahhh, Louis Armstrong!  Nice riff on the Santa teaser in the DiH credits.  You introduced the Lau song by attributing it to both of the finale eps.  Is there a ‘thing’ in this thread to find music that encapsulates each DW ep?  If so, I did my bit for Dark Water above.

The best thing about The Phantom Menace (although I actually don’t think it’s as bad as everyone says it is)

BadWulf @badwulf

@thekrynoidman

The Phantom Menace is a great film – I prefer it to Return of the Jedi. It certainly has its flaws, but it has a particular charm of its own.

My favourite part of the soundtrack comes at about 1:25 into this clip (the Droid Invasion):

@badwulf Like I said I don’t think it’s as bad as people make it out to be. In fact, I’m actually quite found of it since it was the first film I ever watched at the cinema.
    There are a lot of things I like about it such as the music, Darth Maul and the production design.
    Now Attack of the Clones, that’s an awful film.

My favorite track from Star Wars is the end credits music from Empire

Arbutus @arbutus

@apopheniac    Well, it started somehow with this series and has been rather fun. But normally, people just come on and share. I have been introduced to some entirely fabulous music on this thread.  Like your excellent contribution, great track!

@thekrynoidman    I can’t claim a lot of love for The Phantom Menace, although I didn’t think it was irredeemable. However, it does stand on record as the only film I have ever watched in a theatre at 7am, as the tech company where my husband was working was given bulk seats to a first day showing (the showtimes had started at midnight!). I was barely awake when we got there, and the sight of people lining up at the popcorn counter almost drove me right out into the street again!  🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

For the bereaved among us, here is the four-part Ave Regina Caelorum, written late in life by the 15th century composer Guillaume Dufay. He requested in his will that it be performed at his funeral.

Here’s some more Morricone

Arbutus @arbutus

@thekrynoidman   I was doing a lot of driving today and had the Kinks on in my car. I thought of you! And since I don’t think I’ve ever posted this, and since late autumn is in full swing here now, here is Autumn Almanac.

@arbutus Thanks for that. Something Else is probably tied with Revolver as my favorite album.

BadWulf @badwulf

@thekrynoidman  Now Attack of the Clones, that’s an awful film.

My favorite track from Star Wars is the end credits music from Empire

Ah, the Empire Strikes Back: my favourite film and favourite soundtrack of all time. I bought the CD in 1997 when it was the soundtrack was issued in full for the first time (following the Special Editions being released in cinemas that summer), and it is probably my most played CD, then mp3 album since then. And I agree that the End credits music is probably the best track on there – it contains all the best themes from the movie – The Force theme, The Love Theme, The Imperial March and Yoda’s theme. I first saw Star Wars and Empire when they were reissued to cinemas in 1982 as a double-bill – 4+ hours of exploding spaceship fun for a 6 year old was like nothing else I’d seen before, and nothing since has had the same impact. In fact, I begged Loughborough Curzon cinema for the display poster used in the foyer, which my wife got framed for me after discovering it in my parents’ attic last year. It is this poster:

As for whether Attack of the Clones is a bad movie – I’d disagree, as I’d still pretty much watch it over virtually anything else non-Star Wars! And it is better IMHO than Return of the Jedi, which was the first big cinematic disappointment I ever had.

@badwulf That is one hell of a poster. My first cinematic disappointment was probably X Men Origins: Wolverine. I went to see it on my Birthday, which only made it worse.

Dun, dun dun dun dun dun, dun dun, dun dun dun dun dun

BadWulf @badwulf

@thekrynoidman I think Lloyd Webber’s Pink Floyd is showing!

I’ve not seen any X-men movies since the second one – I was beginning to get serious superhero fatigue. I knew I was out of step with the trend when I found the first Raimi Spiderman movie to be a snorefest, and I haven’t bothered with the others in the series, or the reboot.

Loved Guardians of the Galaxy though… and was delighted to see two London landmarks during the climactic battle!

BadWulf @badwulf

Anyway – This music is only what it is, but I really do like it (and the video is … peculiar)

@badwulf That stones video has been driving me mad for years. The version of the song they play isn’t the one from the album. They’re clearly miming, so it’s not a live version. Was it the single release? Is it even available to buy? I hope so because it’s better than the lousy album version.

Yeah, it’s pretty well known that Lloyd Webber ripped off Pink Floyd for Phantom. Still a great song.

As for Spiderman films, 2 is easily the best comic book film ever made for me, but if you found the first one boring you probably wouldn’t like this one that much either. 3 wasn’t great, but nowhere near as bad as people say it is. I have no idea why so many people rate the reboot films. I feel they are overlong and boring. Glad you enjoyed Guardians though.

@arbutus I’d be very surprised if you hadn’t posted this before

I don’t know how many of you are familiar with Brian De Plama’s cult classic Phantom of the Paradise. It’s basically a modern day update of Phantom of the Opera and Faust. The music was done by the great Paul Williams, who was nominated for an Oscar for it. This is my personal favorite track

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 1,009 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 2’ is closed to new replies.