Bad Wolf

Home Forums Episodes The Ninth Doctor Bad Wolf

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  IndigoMoose 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

The Doctor wakes up in a futuristic Big Brother house during an eviction, Rose wakes up on the Weakest Link with an Anne-Droid, and Captain Jack gets a make over with Trin-E and Zu-Zana. But something unusual is happening, and the losing contestants are being disintergrated.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

OK – I’ve never quite understood the fundamental desire of Russell to make his Doctor Who so deliberately of it’s time (with pop culture references, etc.) and I think some of his attempts to inject satire in the series didn’t always work, but I really do like the TV satires in Bad Wolf.

Mainly, I think is it’s because I really didn’t like that unpleasant strand in series that were around in those far flung times of just under a decade ago. In these days where

• Anne Robinson’s snidey put downs have been replaced by the more laid back Alexander Armstrong in Pointless,
    • where Trinny and Susannah have taken their “look at what the pleb is wearing” shtick to commercial obscurity, and
    • Big Brother is nowhere near the ratings beast it was when it encouraged you an audience to laugh at the educationally sub-normal,

you can actually forget these were officially “Big Things”. Pastiches of those shows were begging to be made.

It’s ironic actually that the recent discussion of a Perwee story to watch included Carnival of Monsters, which had a similar take on audience motivations for passively watching TV. That also looks very much of it’s time, but I’m not sure that was so deliberate.

Early on and it seems to be business of usual. Eccleston gets to flirt again! With Lynda (with a “y”). The reveal of horror on his face as he realises that this state of affairs may have something to do with his earlier visit is good. The Long Game saw a vision of the future that was different to that he expected, and now it’s got a lot worse.

“I don’t know. This whole Bad Wolf thing’s tied up with me. Someone’s manipulating my entire life. “

It’s FENRIC! Obviously. 😀

Love the accessory joke as Jack pulls a gun from … well, we can only guess.

Nice to see Patterson Joseph in cutting form as Roderick in the Anne-Droid show. Playing a corker as the absolute B*st*rd. For some reason I can’t help pointing out that he, along with three other people who have Doctor Who credits, appeared in sketches lampooning Quiz shows elsewhere. Like this:

The dispatch of Rose is abrupt, and quite shocking, but I wonder if many members of the audience automatically said “well- that didn’t happen, did it” as soon as it was shown? Quite a lot, I’d suspect. The aftermath with Jack angry and The Doctor looking shell shocked during the inevitable arrest is good stuff though.

The idea of the Programmer being implanted into her systems as a child does echo the little girl in Remembrance of the Daleks as a control system. The sudden revelation that Rose isn’t dead, the transmit of the Programmer for her confrontation with her masters, and we all start to guess. The dropping of the cloak – Shit it’s the Daleks. Great Reveal. At least it would have been if the Sun hadn’t leaked a photo of “Half a Million Daleks!!!” about two weeks before broadcast. I take it they didn’t like the satire of The Long Game.

No! ‘Cause this is what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna rescue her. I’m gonna save Rose Tyler from the middle of the Dalek fleet, and then I’m gonna save the Earth. And then—just to finish off—I’m gonna wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky!

Yay! Punch air.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

This is another episode I didn’t watch on broadcast. In fact, I didn’t watch the finale, either. I hadn’t exactly bailed, but – no, I had bailed, but on Series 1, not Doctor Who. Eccleston’s departure had been announced and I think I had already mentally said ‘sod it’.

I can’t have been the only one; this double parter remains deeply unusual as the only Post Gap regeneration story to have fewer viewers than the series average. It may possibly be the only regeneration story to do that… fortunately, it seems everyone was willing to give the new bloke a go.

The satire is laid on thick, but I think it works because there was an element of ‘Christians to the lions!’ about those naughties shows. Getting ‘evicted from life’ is only a tiny leap.

Apparently they didn’t expect Anne Robinson to agree to do the voice-over and had an impersonator all lined up.

Eccleston gets to play to his strengths a lot; he’s horrified that his ‘time meddling’ hasn’t restored the status quo but has made things worse. He gets to be all shell-shocked when Rose is disintegrated. He gets to be angsty as he defies the Daleks. He really does play the shell shocked ex-soldier very well indeed.

This is, I think, when we start to see that travelling with the post-Time-War Doctor is likely to ruin your life. Yes, everyone above the age of seven knows that Rose isn’t dead – because by this time, we all know there’s a second series and Billie Piper is in it. 😉 But until he finally steps into his own time-line and succeeds in pulling Clara out, travelling with the Doctor is likely to end with him standing over your (metaphorical) grave.

[Martha’s personally the least damaged, but I don’t think having her family enslaved for a year was exactly delightful.]

Yes, I’d say the Programmer is a very deliberate echo of Remembrance of the Daleks. But RTD is such a bloody pessimist, he really is. The news services go off air and the whole of society collapses? Really?

I’ll just imagine that the Daleks had more than a sink plunger or two in that one. 😀

nicnic2001 @nicnic2001

Hello,

i have been puzzled by this for ages but what is the music in this video:

“http://youtu.be/-8uYYtH_YAY” without quotes

please look around 1m 20s into the video and tell me which music it is!

i would be really grateful for help!

Nick

Anonymous @

@nicnic2001

That was a very odd video. I haven’t a clue what was going on 😕

The music used in the first 3min is ‘The Daleks’ which was used in ‘The Parting of the Ways’. It’s available on the Series 1 & 2 soundtrack or you can listen to it on Youtube. The rest of the music sounded like a ‘classic who’ soundtrack but I don’t know what story it was from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR9MOS5r-RY

Anonymous @

well I have no idea what in the world was going on in that video

IndigoMoose @indigomoose

I was thinking about how “Bad Wolf” and Fenric ought to be connected (thank you @phaseshift for pointing it out).

Suppose Rose Tyler is one of the “wolves of Fenric” – a descendent of those tainted by Fenric and a pawn in the ancient evil’s plot to re-emerge and defeat the Doctor. Since she helped the Doctor, ater sacrificed herself, and then became trapped in an alternate dimension, we could say she did not help Fenric with his goal. So, she is a wolf of Fenric, but she didn’t do a good job – she is a bad wolf.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.