Doctor Who news

Home Forums General Doctor Who news

This topic contains 920 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 921 total)
  • Author
    DanMartinUK @danmartinuk

Word up.

@Shazzbot Yup very exciting times all round.  I’ll be down at Elstree tomorrow for sure! Although actually will be covering it for my new home of BuzzFeed.

All change then. Though I’ll be keeping up the Guardian episode blogs, for the time being at least…

Anonymous @

@danmartinuk – you missed a trick there … what is the link to your ‘new home of BuzzFeed’?

That’s quite an ominous oboe sound to your ‘for the time being at least’.  🙁

DanMartinUK @danmartinuk

@Shazzbot

Haha no well we’re carrying on if it works out at all possible. Even with new job they’ll have to prise that from my cold dead hands!

Not started yet, but from Monday I’m gonna be the UK Entertainment Editor at BuzzFeed.com

Anonymous @

@danmartinuk – congratulations on your new position!

from Monday I’m gonna be the UK Entertainment Editor at BuzzFeed.com

And … will you be live-blogging Sunday’s show, whether on the Guardian or on BuzzFeed?

DanMartinUK @danmartinuk

@Shazzbot

Well I’ll be down at the studios so there’ll be tweets via @DanMartinIsNot certainly …and then a full report on BF on Monday, I should think

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Now this sounds great fun (if a little surprising) and I wish I could get tickets for it.

The Edinburgh Fringe will see a couple of improve events. One features host Fred MacAulay, Frank Skinner and … Steve Moffat.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/08/08/18449/look_whos_in_edinburgh

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift

Cool. A sort of a ‘Who’s (Time)Line Is It Anyway?’.
    z

thommck @thommck

If you’ve got a spare £200/$300 you might be interested to know that they are releasing all of AG Who on Bluray, incl a Sonic Screwdriver Remote Control
    Doctor Who AG Boxset
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYAE2IY

Not available in the UK yet (!?). I think this is way overpriced, about £30 per series, especially as most fans will have some of the episodes on disc already (if not recorded straight from the TV!). However, I wouldn’t be upset if one ended up under my Christmas tree 😉

Anonymous @

@thommck“I wouldn’t be upset if one ended up under my Christmas tree”

You’re shameless, you.  🙂  Are you going to direct Mrs Mck to your post in some off-hand kind of manner?

But having looked at the listing (wow!  10% off), I noticed that they only list Tennant and Smith as actors.  Hmmph.  I know they have limited room for actor / director listings, but still.  Even Billie Piper isn’t listed under the Product Details section.

PS:  Do Blu-Ray formats differ around the world like previous media types?  Or is it universal?

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Hey everyone, this is interesting – a discussion of Lindy Orthia’s (ed) new book Doctor Who and Race (basically a blog post by one of the in-production reviewers which takes down the Daily Mail’s review of the book)

http://www.philipsandifer.com/2013/05/shockingly-daily-mail-is-evil.html

The book is published now – I haven’t read it but it sounds well worth getting hold of. There’s a particularly interesting sounding chapter on The Talons of Weing Chiang.

Nick @nick

so interesting (well I thought so) I posted it twice since I couldn’t see it had been mentioned elsewhere on here. As ever, apologies if it has)

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/08/doctor-who-role-black-actor

Nick

wolfweed @wolfweed

Google Maps Easter Egg Lets You Explore The TARDIS
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/13/google-maps-doctor-who-tardis-easter-egg/
    z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – I’ve tried a dozen times and I don’t get the double arrows!  🙁  I’m gutted.  I read the guy’s tips but up arrow doesn’t do anything for me, either.

Did you get it to work?

Anonymous @

@Shazzbot – The double arrow shows up for me.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot  Yes it works for me (I’m using Google Chrome). You can only explore the console room but it’s seriously cool. All I can suggest is that you keep refreshing the page…

Hope you can get it to work…

Anonymous @

Hi @wolfweed @MadScientist72 – I’m using Firefox with a few blockers, it’s probably that which is keeping me from seeing the double arrows.

Wolfster, I can’t believe you use Chrome!  Don’t you feel it’s a bit, well, erm, unsecure?

MadS – are you using Chrome, too?

Anonymous @

@Shazzbot – No, I’m at work, so I’m stuck with Internet Exploder. You have to have your cursor over the map to see it & it’ll hide if the cursor stays still for too long. If you click anywhere other than on the double arrow it’ll move the view & the double arrow will disappear – you’ll have to refresh to get it back.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed @MadScientist72 – got there in the end!  Thanks.

Gaww, I won’t be back on the Forum for a while, this is too cool  😆

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot – I’m a Madman with a PC…

Don’t forget to look up at the ceiling & down at the floor…

Also traipse round the gantry & down into the ‘basement’…

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

Dear Doctor

I have just spent over an hour of my life looking at the interior of a “hi-tech” police telephone box on Earl’s Court Road.

Do I need psychiatric help?

stevethewhistle

Anonymous @

Dear @steve-thorp – Only an hour?  Go to the back of the class.  Everyone else has lost their entire evening.

Yours, The Doctor

😀

wolfweed @wolfweed

You can look at some really weird angles & do some great screengrabs…

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=51.492159,-0.19092&spn=0.005291,0.013937&sll=51.492140,-0.193028&layer=c&cid=12502927659667388442&panoid=c9UMhWP_MWm9U0L48xEjYw&cbp=13,291.8,,0,18.86&gl=US&t=m&cbll=51.492132,-0.192862&z=17

z

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Juniperfish @juniperfish

Have people seen this?

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/26901/doctor-who-bill-nighy-turned-down-doctor-role

Sorry if it’s already been discussed! Not terribly gracious of Nighy is it? But it makes me love Capaldi even more – he clearly took the role partly because he was a child-fan and holds it in his heart the way we do.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Convention Report! I went to Nine Worlds at the weekend https://nineworlds.co.uk/ . It’s a new multi-fandom convention run by fans for fans which got going via Kickstarter and the desire for more inclusive fan-spaces.

It was fantastic!

It had a number of different “tracks” which were mini conventions in themselves (but you could move freely between them) including a book track and a dedicated Doctor Who track, a Geek Feminism track etc.

Sadly I didn’t get to hang out in the Doctor Who track because I was there working in other parts of the con rather than as a punter (although I did meet Gary Russell who used to script edit for Doctor Who, Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures and now works with Big Finish).

There’s a half decent report about the convention (although naturally it sticks to the more conventional face of it and misses brilliant aspects such as the Bronies or how LGBT inclusive it was ) in the Daily Mail, so I’ll have to break my golden rule and link!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2390178/Nine-Worlds-GeekFest-2013-An-alien-coffee-shop-Quidditch-games-dressing-up.html

Anyway, I’ve no doubt there will be a dedicated Doctor Who track next year too and I’d highly recommend the experience !

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@juniperfish – that rumour’s been around for a bit. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere during Vincent and the Doctor, for example – and it may have been the reason for the bow tie joke.

That said, if someone turns it down, however good they are, they aren’t the right actor for the part. It doesn’t matter whether someone is a fan (don’t think Matt Smith was a fan when he got the job) – it’s whether they find the idea of playing the Doctor exciting enough to step on the huge rollercoaster that is being the current Doctor.

Because I think a key characteristic of the Doctor is that he is the sort of character who will try out the huge rollercoaster. 

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Highlights from this year’s Doctor Who Prom are to be shown on BBC One in a 75-minute programme starting at 4pm on Monday 26th August.
    z

Anonymous @

@juniperfish – Hey, Jfish, I had a nosey around the Nine Worlds website (and even sullied my computer by connecting to the Daily Mail [hawk, spit!], albeit temporarily and for a good cause).  You said you were working there last weekend – in what capacity?

Zurramsines @zurramsines

Hi dear whovians,

does anyone know whether the 50th anniversary special will be shown in cinemas outside the UK?

It would be a real shame if that wasn’t the case 🙁

thommck @thommck

Just posted this article in the companion thread but thought I’d spread it around here too

Jenna Coleman talking a bit about Clara, the 50th and Christmas special (does not contain spoilers (or nuts))- http://bit.ly/16gkgjN

thommck @thommck

@zurramsines We don’t even know what cinemas are going to be showing it in the UK yet! The only thing that has been confirmed is that the show will be the largest simulcast ever, showing in numerous countries at exactly the same time.

Hopefully we’ll here some news soon. I think the atmosphere in the cinema will be electric. However, the trouble with cinema is that there’s no sofa to hide behind!

albertnoel @albertnoel

why would you need a sofa. !! although saying that, hurt is a powerful and scary person when he wants to be.

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@wolfweed re: Doctor Who at the Dylan Thomas Festival.

Ever since you posted that, I haven’t been able to get the image of a Dalek reciting Vogon poetry* out of my mind.

No wonder Thomas drank himself to death!

TardisBlue (who’s wondering what wolfweed actually is. Does its appearance involve a full moon and a hungry werewolf eating berries off a bramble bush?)

*(Vogon poetry, for the uninitiated, is the third worst poetry in the universe. http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Vogon_poetry. Listening to it is the equivalent of torture. and the two main characters of Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy were forced to listen to it and say they liked it before being thrown out of an airlock. In addition to his work on Hitchhikers, Douglas Adams wrote scripts for BG (before gap between tv runs) Who.)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@tardisblue   What’s a Wolfweed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUmAwZt5N-w

I’m the one who crawls on K-9’s head…

Zurramsines @zurramsines

@thommck That’s right, the lack of sofas is a great problem , but it’ll be worth it anyway!

By the way, thanks for answering, and let’s hope to have news soon.

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@wolfweed

Ah! Thanks! My somewhat limited exposure to PG Doctor Who on PBS didn’t include Romana I or II, for some reason or another.

It *did* include K-9, though. So I hope you treated him with the respect and reverence to which he’s do. 🙂

TardisBlue

Anonymous @

@thommck

The only thing that has been confirmed is that the show will be the largest simulcast ever, showing in numerous countries at exactly the same time.

Does that mean it’s going to be on in the middle of the afternoon in the US, like PC’s reveal was?

thommck @thommck

@MadScientist72 Yes, if we are to believe various sources, although I haven’t seen an official bbc press release.

Digital spy says

The special extended episode, due to air on November 23, could potentially be the biggest-ever global simulcast of a drama and could fetch more than 100 million viewers from 200 territories.

A simulcast will mean that fans outside of the UK won’t get episode details spoiled or leaked before they are able to watch it.

As the episode is due to air in the evening in the UK, viewers in LA could be watching at midday, while fans in Sydney would get an early morning broadcast on Sunday morning (November 24)

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Whisht @whisht

psst @wolfweed – /bmi image madness again!

(we can’t see Jenny Colgan!)

Craig @craig
    Emperor
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@juniperfish

Nice to hear you enjoyed the Nine Worlds convention from your perspective. I can remember reading about it in the runup and thinking it was an interesting idea.

Do you think it “worked” in knitting the various strands together?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Thanks for the post. Putting aside the difficulties of transferring prose writers to screen writers, may I suggest that Jenny is a candidate for future episodes? She’s obviously as mad as a box of frogs and captures 11 brilliantly in “Dark Horizons”. Love to see her transfer to the screen, because she is so obviously “on” for it. As bonkers as you could possibly hope for.

I mean, if this is how she dresses to catch a flight at Heathrow, what more could you hope for?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

The BBC has managed to unearth an on-screen interview with William Hartnell, the only one known to exist. It’s going to be on the DVD release of The Tenth Planet.

More details here:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/08/hartnell-tv-interview-discovered-160813184817.html

wolfweed @wolfweed
    jamfilleddonut63 @jamfilleddonut63

The proms air in a week!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Neil Gaiman’s going to be on BBC Radio 6 this Friday at one o’clock to talk about his new adult novel, “The Ocean at the End of the Lane“.
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/08/anniversary-party-190813130017.html

The Doc Lands @ 50 Party will take place at a venue in Docklands on Saturday 23rd November.
    z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – So, Wolfster, we’ve already posited a meeting of the Doctor Who Forum members in London, although up to now it’s been about the Friday night, in a dog-friendly pub (yes, that last was for me ‘n The Airedales).

Shall several of us try for places at the party you’ve linked to?  I’m not sure how many of us are even going to be in town for the weekend.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 921 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who news’ is closed to new replies.