Flatline

Home Forums Episodes The Twelfth Doctor Flatline

This topic contains 308 replies, has 59 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 301 through 309 (of 309 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@missy

pop back up to Forums (top of page and second from the left); this leads to a series of ‘lists,’ one under the other.

At the top of the list it says ‘the 12th Doctor’.

Click on that.

After you do that, you’ll then see each of the episodes from last year.

Click on that ep: Time Heist.

All the other 12 eps are there too from Deep Breath onwards.

Hope that helps

Kindest,

puro.

Missy @missy

@purofilion

found it. thank you so much, you are a star.

cheers,

Missy.

IKB1 @ikb1

I’m a first-time poster in this Forum, so “hello” and I hope someone can answer a question! I recently watched “Flatline”. Before The Doctor dispatches the 2d/3d “monsters”, he says something like “I name you The Boneless”. I am almost certain that a similar “naming” happened in an earlier series. Or am I thinking of another show entirely – not Doctor Who? Does anyone recall this “naming” as a way of (or as part of) defeating adversaries? Thanks for any help!

winston @winston

@ikb1     Hello from Canada and welcome to the site. It is a great place for Who fans and lots of fun to explore and read bonkers theories.

Maybe the episode you are referring to was in series 3 with the 10th Doctor and Martha Jones when they visit Shakespeare and battle the witches. At one point the Doctor says to the witches “I name you Carrionites” ( not sure about the spelling) and explains about the power in a name. Anyway I hoped that helped.

IKB1 @ikb1

@winston  Hello from USA. Thanks for the welcome! I believe that your reference is the one I remember. Thank you so much; it was driving me crazy since I knew I had heard it before! At the time I had first heard it, I had wondered if that “naming” was “borrowed” from some historical or literary mythology/witchcraft tradition. Thanks again.

Missy @missy

@ikb1

Hello and welcome;

Missy

IKB1 @ikb1

@missy Hello. Thanks for the welcome!

Missy @missy

@ikb1

Not at all, have fun.

Missy

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

Flatline

Now we’re cooking! Right from the off – in the first 60 seconds we’re right into the action, man pulled screaming into the wall.

And after the credits – oh Clara, you liar (hint: don’t talk too much when you’re making outrageous lies, it’s a dead giveaway). But the Doc’s too preoccupied to notice, his readings are – ish. Clara:  Don’t give me -ish.   And then we have the shrunken Tardis door and the oh-so-cute mini Tardis. This is delightful.

I love the exchange between a testy Clara “Yes. I get it. You’re excited. When can I go home?” and an intrigued Doctor “Could you not just let me enjoy this moment of not knowing something? I mean, it happens so rarely.”

So Clara goes off to look around and runs straight into a missing-persons mystery.

Riggsy manages to be a surprisingly sympathetic character, while still convincing as a juvenile delinquent (or whatever they’re called these days) – or at least a graffiti artist.

And – I can’t help laughing along with Clara at the adorable baby Tardis. And the lifesize Doctor peering out of the doors is – weirdly disconcerting.

Clara is making the most of her promotion – “I’m the Doctor” (Doctor – inside his Tardis – “Don’t you dare”) And it’s fascinating listening to Clara talking to Riggsy with interspersed sarcastic comments by the Doctor. I love that Clara virtually introduces Riggsy to the Doctor (“Doctor, Rigsy, Rigsy, the Doctor.” “Hullo, barely sentient local”)

So then she *really* has to introduce Riggsy to the Doctor. (Doc: “You really do throw your companions in at the deep end, don’t you?” – and I’m absolutely unsure whether the Doctor is talking to himself about Clara, or talking to Clara about himself as the companion, or talking to Clara about Riggsy, or all of those…)

And just when we thought every bit of mileage had been extracted out of ‘Bigger on the inside’ –
    RIGSY: It’s bigger. On the inside.
    DOCTOR: Do you know, I don’t think that statement’s ever been truer.

The whole scenario is rich with possibilities and this episode uses them to the full. As when Danny rings up –
    DANNY [OC]: Who was that?
    CLARA: Er, that’s just a guy on community support and I’m helping him find his auntie. [Oh Clara, that was brilliant]
    DOCTOR: Nice. Not technically lying.

A disconcerting moment when the charmless Fenton fails to see anything in the psychic paper.

Then it turns out the mural in the subway – wasn’t a mural at all.

The nice lines keep coming – CLARA: I just hope I can keep them all alive. DOCTOR: Ah, welcome to my world.

Then we have a good bit of classic sci-fi where the Doc tries (via Clara) to figure out how to communicate with the 2-D creatures. But then they pick off another victim. So it’s retreat to the tunnel (did anyone not see that coming? 🙂

Then things get really tense, with the 2-D’s finding out how to materialise themselves into 3-D. And the obnoxious Fenton is turning from an obstacle into a menace, grabbing the baby Tardis from Clara and dropping it down a shaft.

The Doctor has to put the Tardis into inert ‘siege mode’ to avoid being squashed by a train. Clara, Riggsy and the appalling Fenton climb down into the tunnel and Clara stops the next train. And here’s a nice bit of detail I never noticed until now – as Clara is talking to the driver about ramming the obstruction, Riggsy trots back and climbs into the train. So then Riggsy gets to drive a train! And Clara gets creative with her hair band and the drivers’ control handle. Nice bit of heroic problem-solving there. But the creatures 2D-ise the train into the tunnel wall.

So then Clara finds the Tardis siegemode cube and has the brilliant idea (despite the obnoxious Fenton’s derogatory comments) of getting the creatures themselves to energise it, courtesy of a 2-D decoy door painted by Riggsy. Well deserving the Doctor’s verdict: I don’t know if you’ll ever hear this, Clara. I don’t even know if you’re still alive out there. But you were good! And you made a mighty fine Doctor.

Then we have one the better ‘I am the Doctor’ speeches, delivered as only Capaldi can: I tried to talk. I want you to remember that. I tried to reach out, I tried to understand you, but I think that you understand us perfectly. And I think you just don’t care. And I don’t know whether you are here to invade, infiltrate or just replace us. I don’t suppose it really matters now. You are monsters. That is the role you seem determined to play. So it seems I must play mine. The man that stops the monsters. I’m sending you back to your own dimension. Who knows? Some of you may even survive the trip. And, if you do, remember this. You are not welcome here. This plane is protected. I am the Doctor. And I name you The Boneless.

The final scene is beautifully written. (Never mind the obnoxious Fenton, as the Doc said, maybe the wrong people survived). But the verbal fencing between Clara (who knows she did well) and the Doctor (who is reluctant to feed her ego) is delicious.
    CLARA: Yeah, but we saved the world, right?
    DOCTOR: We did. You did.
    CLARA: Okay, so, on balance
    DOCTOR: Balance?
    CLARA: Yeah, that’s how you think, isn’t it?
    DOCTOR: Largely so other people don’t have to. [Nice line, Doc!]
    CLARA: Yeah, well, I was you today. I was the Doctor. And, apparently, I was quite good at it.
    DOCTOR: You heard that, did you?
    CLARA: Yeah, but the power was going off so I suppose you were delirious. You didn’t know what you were saying.
    DOCTOR: Yes? (The Doctor’s ‘yes’ is ambiguous)

And the final exchange is classic – (Even if the Doc stole the last line from Mae West, as chatokeya’s transcript points out)
    CLARA: Come on, why can’t you say it? I was the Doctor and I was good.
    DOCTOR: You were an exceptional Doctor, Clara.
    CLARA: Thank you.
    DOCTOR: Goodness had nothing to do with it.
    Clara’s reaction is beautiful to watch.

And a final shot of Missy, watching with approval, which adds another layer to the episode. I love these multi-layered stories.

This is an absolutely delightful episode and a joy to watch all the way through. I’m perfectly happy with Clara being pushed into acting-Doctor-for-the-day, but this is a far more natural and in-character situation than the out-of-character shenanigans of Kill the Moon. And this episode hangs together well (given the 2-D monster premise). The biggest nitpick I can find is that Riggsy and Clara wasted too much time just chatting in the cab of a DMU that was steadily accelerating when they should have been jumping off before it gained too much speed – which is surely tiny.

Viewing 9 posts - 301 through 309 (of 309 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.