General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@whisht – this is a bit mischievous, because it’s not on your list of AG Who episodes.  But we’ve all been watching Ghost Light from BG Who — and knowing what Ace did as a teenager to the house she later visits with the 7th Doctor in the Victorian era in this episode …

Talking Heads, Burning Down the House

Anonymous @

oh @whisht – the apocalypse has come.  I was going to post Oingo Boingo’s ‘I Love Little Girls’ video either here or in the Rose & Crown for your delectation, and the NSA (or someone else without a sense of humour, or a knowledge of Los Angeles punk rock, and indeed such an idiot that they can’t fathom satire nor that Danny Elfman has gone on to become one of the biggest movie scorers in film history) has killed the sound.   In every YT version I could find!

Funnily enough, they left the visuals in every version.

Enjoy … 😀  with the sound off.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@Shazzbot

has killed the sound

Do you have a filter on your computer? Or does your ISP filter stuff? The sound played fine on mine.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – I have BT broadband.  Obviously, you don’t.  😀  Now we know who has and who hasn’t got one of those ‘filters’ I’ve read about.  But dare I say, the same filter is coming for you soon  👿  .

FFS, the song is a bleeping parody!  Although in one of the YT links I tried, I saw the poster’s [vain] cry to the people posting comments ‘lay off the paedo comments, will ya?!’.

Whisht @whisht

hmmmmm……

@Shazzbot, I’ve got BT Broadband (for my sins) but I could see Oingo Boingo’s video (maybe changed in days since you posted??).

Not sure. I’m not using wifi from the router (no idea if that might make a difference).

anyhoo – I had wondered whether this video would also get barred.

Think about it. Dodgy singer’s name. Vilifying a section of the community.
    Disgusting prejudice quite frankly.

I give you “Randy” Newman – Short People.

the bigotry is unforgivable.

Thank fuck I’m over six foot – I feel sorry for all the short-arses.

Anonymous @

Ha ha @whisht – glad to see you back here in the musical thread!  I’m also able to see ‘I Love Little Girls’ tonight, so it was obviously a temporary blip in service which has now been restored.

Anyhoo, ain’t being tall grand?  We can reach all the top kitchen cupboards without aid of a ladder.  (or even a short person on whose shoulders we could stand …   😀  )

Whisht @whisht

however, as for songs for any old Who episode we’ve decided to watch ( 😉 ) then I’m all for it!

In terms of the whole dodgy “racism or no racism, that is the question…”, the Talons of Weng Chiang made me think of this:

Hong Kong Garden?

[but of course this is described as a response to racism…. but that was a subtlety lost to my young at the time mind….]

Whisht @whisht

ah, @shazzbot, me mum always said they grew me tall to get the best plates down….

she was about 5′ 4″.

Anonymous @

@whisht – wow, Siouxsie and the Banshees do resonate with Leela’s character in Talons, even forgetting the fortuitous song title.  Great choice!

Whisht @whisht

of course, Ghost Light really only has one song that makes sense.

And this is the only context, that this song makes sense.

which is kinda neat.

Anonymous @

@whisht – I bow down before your musical genius.  That was indeed the most, like, totally (well, it was the 80s) perfect rendition of Ghost Light in music video form.

*crawls away to see if that was actually check-mate, or just, check*

Whisht @whisht

ah – never a competition @shazzbot, just ping pong.

or wiffley waffley.

:¬)

Anonymous @

@whisht – Well, the Doctor, having left Gallifrey in such a hurry (!) might be feeling some of this …

Ladysmith Black Mambazo – Homeless

Anonymous @

… and all this talk on other threads about River being Clara’s mum, or various other permutations of Pond Family Life, put me in the mood for another classic …

Squeeze – Up The Junction

Anonymous @

@whisht – I’ve gone totally off-piste with this latest one, because I can’t think which episode (AG or BG) this could belong to.

But, Michael O’Leary has been in the news recently, so it’s topical in that sense if nothing else.  🙂

Cheap Flights

Anonymous @

@MadScientist72 – here’s something to draw you into the Choons thread.

You brought up Welcome Back Kotter in another thread, so I assume you’re of an age to appreciate this from the inestimably wonderful Julie Brown.

Anonymous @

*taps foot, looks at watch, wonders where @whisht the Squeeze-lover is hiding … *

Whisht @whisht

oh, riiiiiigggghhhht Shazzbot, like that is it????!??

🙂

well, I was trying to think how your Squeeze posts were even vaguely on topic (I mean, if I was choosing a Squeeze song then I’d choose this (in fact I may have already) Someone Else’s Heart (“I read her diary…”)

but actually I was contemplating this instead – as I think you’ve been going off topic…. so…..

you’re modded!

But, I’ve done you the decency of choosing the original Mod classic, and as to its relevance to anything here…..? well, I can’t explain……

😉

Whisht @whisht

btw – I do love a bit of Ladysmith Black Mambazo too, and FA made me giggle!

But that just sounds like I’m encouraging you….

[tut]

Anonymous @

OK, @whisht, once again you’ve checked me in this chess game with your Squeeze offering.  But … it’s still not check-mate.  (*madly starts searching YT for something to trump him*)  (yes, that was a game-changer from chess to Whist which I’m certain you are well aware of  🙂  )

And … ‘off piste’?!?!  It’s the darn blasted music thread, for cripe’s sake.  Nothing is off-piste.

(sorry, I’m temporarily distracted by a blizzard of moths who have decided that dive-bombing me is preferable to buzzing around the ceiling light)

Whisht @whisht

[aggh! that’s the second time today I’ve lost a post I was sending!
    grrr…. starts typing again but less considered….]

[ahem]

@shazzbot – its not competitive (which is handy as I’m shite at games, cards and sports!).

And mainly I love the way we/I shoe-horn in Who references into songs we/I post. The more tortuous the better!

🙂

and then share something which is simply wonderful amongst friends!

Anonymous @

@whisht – that John McLaughlin and Zakir Hussain ‘Lotus Feet’ video was indeed the antithesis of competitiveness.

I’m in a combatitve mood tonight though, so in a complete obverse turn-around I present you with the reason that I’m inordinantly proud of being born in Southern California **

** I found Dennis Wilson’s autopsy report in a file cabinet when I was 20 years old.  That’s a whole ‘nother story, though.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Half Man Half Biscuit – A Country Practice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLmw4Cs8Jn0
    z
    And if you want a Dr Who reference

Whisht @whisht

my god @wolfweed – that’s a musical arc!!

I really needed that tonight!

More than happy (in fact I beg) for you to post a HMHB choon every week day!

it even had a Who ref – its like you’re some kind of Grandmaster at this!

😉

Anonymous @

@wolfweed @whisht – I might not be a ‘CAMRA man’ meself (well, if you get to London at the end of November, you’ll see I don’t have a ‘bloody dart’ “hilariously” protruding from my forehead, but I do love my real ale) – but I am a Doctor Who afficianado too.

Whisht @whisht

@wolfweed – did I say Grandmaster?
    yes.
    yes I did.

@shazzbot – its checkmate from the weed. Everywhere I look link now I see HMHB videos.

as ever, I blame Wolfweed.

That’s hours I’ve been on the tube tonight….

Whisht @whisht

Now, because I like changing the effing tone, here’s some of the most romantic poetry I’ve ever heard.

but, y’know kinda linked from HMHB (better ogwt link) if only in terms of tone….

oh, and btw Shazzbot, to my mind a better version of Lotus Feet if people are feeling a little assaulted by the geeetarrs….

wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZPHfXmK3Ek
    ONCE: Arthur Darvill & Joanna Christie Perform “Falling Slowly” at Sing for Hope
    z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – I saw ‘Once’ (I think on iPlayer) a long time ago.  I didn’t know they’d made it into a Broadway show.  And who knew Arthur Darvill could sing, play guitar, and …

play the piano?  🙂

Anonymous @

Given that TATM was supposed to be on tonight, I had this in mind as an appropriate song for the episode. I was going to wait and post it next week instead but thought “stuff it, the Beeb may have cancelled their plans, it doesn’t mean I have to”.

Try not to 😥

REM

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox

You might’ve succeeded in changing me … I might’ve been turned around …

Other than the obvious title connection ‘Leaving New York’, that REM piece does deserve its place in the pantheon of episode playback videos for The Angels Take Manhattan.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Before I nip to bed, Phelim O Neil had an interesting column on the Guardian in the week (missed it) on music in TV, with shows who picked a good choon for a scene. It largely centered on the use of “Games without Frontiers” in Tha Americans, but having watched the series, I can assure you that you were bashed over the head by eighties tracks in the show just to remind you that you were in the eighties. It’s a good choice, but undermined.

I’ve always thought the best were unexpected and throw you a curveball. One of the posts points out a great sequence at the end of Season 2 of Millenium when one of the most empathatic of support characters is driven out of her mind by visions of the four horsemen of the apocalypse in a really disturbing scene. You may not get it if you haven’t followed the entire series but the choice of Patti Smiths “Horses” is inspired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QT8ePPl_I

My own choice though is from Fringe. In a lonely and unforgiving future, Walter Bishop sits in a wreck, puts on a CD and re-evaluated life through the medium of a simple weed, and a remarkable track by Yazoo.

We really need John Noble in the WhoNiverse (this is an obligatory comment whenever I talk about Fringe).

Anonymous @

@whisht – (listening to only the lonely whoosh of nothingness on the music thread lately)  Where be you?

This is absolutely a propos of nothing at all, I just like Weird Al Yankovic.  This was his first original song.

One More Minute

Anonymous @

After 10 years rummaging through the various rare/second hand record shops in Brum, this afternoon I finally found a copy an album I used to have which, sadly, got mauled by my now departed dogs (also sad). It might not be everyone’s ‘cup of tea’ but I’m just overjoyed by hearing it again I thought I’d share.

From Blyth Power’s ‘Wicked Men, Wicked Women and Wicket Keepers’ – ‘Some Of Shelley’s Hang Ups’

I hope the first verse isn’t about ‘Bonkers Theorising’ 🙂

There’s an awful lot of ideas coming thick and coming fast
    Some are stupid, some are dangerous, some are never going to last
    There are those which shock the senses and there’s some defy belief
    And there’s those which would be better if they’d never been conceived

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox – that was a wonderful addition to the music thread!  Please keep rummaging, you obviously have a lot of gems under your box.

But the train is on the wrong track

he he he (in context of bonkers theorising ™ )

Anonymous @

@shazzbot – sleeping patterns more or less back to normal thanks 🙂  I’m a bit tied up at the mo’ so haven’t really got the time to watch SC on IPlayer – really looking forward to seeing it though.

Referring to my recent post about TATM – here’s one from 10000 Maniacs – City Of Angels

With no connection to Dr Who but simply because it’s beautiful Verdi Cries

Anonymous @

Awww, @fatmaninabox – Natalie Merchant.  How can you say Verdi Cries has no connection to DW?

Holidays must end as you know.
    All is memory taken home with me:
    the opera, the stolen tea, the sand drawing, the verging sea, all years ago.

If that isn’t a paean to River Song, I don’t know what is.

Anonymous @

@shazzbot – I hadn’t noticed that – but then I also missed the lyrical connection with ‘Leaving New York’ 🙂

I was lucky enough to see 10000 Maniacs at Wolverhampton Civic Hall on their last tour with Natalie. The venue was only about half full but it added to the sense of intimacy – something which is all too often missing from Arena/Stadium tours.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift — I saw that piece and also didn’t think that the Games Without Frontiers sequence was all that. When talking about The Sarah Connor Chronicles, we previously talked about the great use of Johnny Cash’s When the Man Comes Around, which is always going to be a strong candidate for me.

Also loved that sequence in Fringe. It’s such an unlikely song to use so as you say it blindsides you. I also liked the sequence when they used Bowie’s The Man Who Sold The World — can’t recall which episode but it’s a late-ish one.

There’s also a great sequence in Homicide Life on the Streets (a great pioneer programme for this kind of thing) and its use of (also) Gabriel’s No Self Control.

But for me the best one ever has to be the finale to Six Feet Under — if you’re not crying buckets at the end of this sequence then you’re not made of human parts. (Also needless to say it’s highly spoilerific if you happen to have not finished watching the show…)

Anonymous @

@jimthefish – thanks for posting that.  Six Feet Under was one of my must-see programmes.  And the ending, as you said, is sobbing galore.  But … we all have to go, in the end.  That programme wavered majorly through its run, but pulled it back magnificently for those final scenes.

Whisht @whisht

hi @Shazzbot – thanks for asking – I’ve just been busy and reading and listening and enjoying but just nothing much to add!

However, something our esteemed thingamy might enjoy is on tomorrow night.

Shut Up and Play the Hits – Friday night Film4 from 10:55pm to 1:05am

I’ve not seen it, but I’m sure he can tell us if its worth setting our recorders for (obviously we’ll all be out in dark sweaty venues, listening to four-to-the-floor beats. obviously).

[ahem]

well… I may be in, so may well just watch it without needing to record it…. [ahem]

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht Thanks for alerting me to that. I’m still getting over the interview with Manuel Göttsching in The Guardian. He dissed LCD Soundsystem!

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/aug/30/manuel-gottsching-gottfather

But anybody who makes this, referencing The Modern Lovers amongst many others, is alright by me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xG4oFny2Pk

Whisht @whisht

ha ha! – Craig, I meant to link you to “thingamy” as a gag but forgot!

thankfully your omniscience was, erm, omni-like!

[and anyway – what does he know about techno…. ahem!]

Anonymous @

@whisht – as luck would have it, I’m on holiday from tomorrow which means, access to a TV in the holiday cottage!  (ooh, the luxury)

Depending on how much sleep I get tonight, I may be up still at the ungodly hour of 22:55 tomorrow night.  I’ll check out Film4, thanks for the heads-up.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht I’ve been a bit absent the last couple of weeks but was just drawn to check on things. My mother claims she’s a bit psychic. Everytime I call home she answers “I knew it’d be you”. The fact she has caller ID seems to have bypassed her logic circuits. Think I may have inherited the trait – the psychic bit I mean – not the bypassing of logic 😕 !

Whisht @whisht

ah @craig – I have a bit of that too (thinking of someone and then getting an email from them).

but, of course, you’ll know that already.

Anonymous @

@whisht @craig – I was thinking last week about a wonderful Saturday I spent in London almost 10 years ago with a former work colleague – and then she emailed me two days ago .  Yes, it does happen.

But @craig, yer Mum …. bless.  🙂

Whisht @whisht

actually @craig, what do you make of this?

A bit of an underarm bowl it has to be said…

sadly, I’ve thrown mine away in the last housemove, but there was one called “fast forwarding is for wimps” (or similar)

Anonymous @

For all the Tim Minchin fans out there, two programs are being broadcast over the next few days. They’ve previously been on Radio2 but are making their Radio4extra debut.

First, ‘Strings’ is on tonight at 22:30-23:00 and on Saturday 14-Sep at 22:00 there’s an hour long show ‘Tim Minchin and Friends’.

To get you in the mood here’s Tim performing ‘My House’ from Matilda.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Ah @jimthefish, I missed that reply to me originally. I really must give Six Feet Under another try. I watched a couple of episodes just before my mother died, and it really lost any attraction about that time.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.