John and Yoko: A Love Story

Home Forums Non-Doctor Films John and Yoko: A Love Story

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ichabod 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

A bit of an odd one this from 1985 for our Capaldi retrospective, but it does star two future Doctors so I thought it might be fun.

Two years after ‘Local Hero’ Capaldi played George Harrison in this TV Movie about John Lennon and Yoko Ono. And John Lennon is played by none other than Mark McGann, Doctor number eight!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig – ahh, Craig?

PAUL McGann is Doctor Number Eight. MARK McGann is his brother.

His other brothers (those who are also actors – unbelievably, some of the McGanns aren’t professional actors) are Joe and Stephen, neither of whom played the Eighth Doctor. 😈

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Ah yes. I had a late night last night, it’s my only excuse but I’m sticking to it! 😕

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

Some good acting, but not a particularly good film.

Arbutus @arbutus

The best bit of this for me was inclusion of “Whatever Gets You Through the Night”, a great song that I had forgotten, that I really liked back in the day. The main problem with this is that it doesn’t seem to know what kind of film it wants to be. It purports to be John and Yoko’s story, but at times it really feels more like a checklist of key events in the late sixties and early seventies. I kept thinking, “Okay, now this is going to happen, and now he’s going to go there,” and so on. Some actual exploration of character (even if not always accurate) would have made a more compelling film, but I don’t suppose that would ever happen while any of the key players are still alive. And including Lennon’s death in the story was cheap; they should have ended it sooner.

However, nice to see it as part of Capaldi’s retrospective. His Harrison was nicely done.

ichabod @ichabod

Hmm.  Just came across a series called “Chandler & Co”, two ladies who got into the private eye business with “Larry Blakeson” (PC) as a sort of mentor, circa 1994 I think — the ladies are grand, the stories are mostly about the perfidiousness of men.  Capaldi is only in the first series of six stories (by the time the series got renewed by BBC, the leads had gone and signed onto other jobs), but he does a dandy job while he’s there.  Not surprisingly, the series folded after the second series — BBC incompetence.  But the stories are good — nobody gets killed but people do have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.