The Cloven Hoof

Home Forums General The Cloven Hoof

This topic contains 915 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 901 through 916 (of 916 total)
  • Author
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

::tinkle:: ::chink:: ::polite cough::

Any thoughts on which pub we’re hitting next?
    😉

I believe The Fox Inn in the Highlands (near Loch Ness) is a lovely little place, though getting the Zygons out at closing time can be problematic.

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion     Why, thank you!  🙂 🙂 🙂

In our house, for no particular reason, we raised a glass of bourbon to celebrate the banishment of the Tory blue guy from our lives. Ten long years, dear Lord. Maybe now I will get my country back.

Seriously, as always, now we will see if Mr. Trudeau can walk the walk. He certainly said a lot of nice things. As for the NDP, that 44 is far more similar to their historical numbers than what they had last time. It was never really realistic for them to maintain them once the Libs got their act together. And however lefty their candidates are, Mr. Mulcair did not always present as a proper New Democrat. I would imagine that in the fullness of time, he will step down, but who knows?

And in the most startling development of all, the Guardian live-blogged our election! I don’t think such a thing has ever happened before, usually it’s more like, “Oh, you had an election? Who is your president now?” One of my son’s American friends actually didn’t think we had elections, because “aren’t you ruled by the Queen?” This from a young man who will actually be old enough to vote by the time the presidential election is held next year. Frightening.  🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

@bluesqueakpip     I like the Fox Inn in principle. The surroundings are lovely and I’m sure the Scottish contingent would appreciate a shorter commute at the end of the evening.  🙂

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@purofilion

“Oh Canada”

Yes, indeed. The champagne has been flowing freely over here in Ontario.

It’s funny, I fell in love with Canada during all those visits while I was living in Australia, only to discover when I moved here that Harper was doing his best to dismantle all that I associated with being “Canadian” and replace it with a type of social, cultural, political and economic conservatism that would have warmed the cockles of Tony Abbott’s heart (assuming he had one).

On the last day of the campaign, Harper even drew on the support of the crack-cocaine smoking ex mayor of Toronto and his appalling bover-boy brother, who is alleged to have run a drug ring in his youth–the horrible Ford brothers. The fact that Harper opposed marijuana as “infinitely worse than tobacco” didn’t seem to bother him from associating with the Ford brothers, of course.

Anyway, with any luck, and under new leadership, hopefully the Canada I fell in love with will start to re-emerge.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

Great Scot! The Fox is a great possibility.

Apparently it’s Back to the Future day, as this is the day in the future that Marty McFly visited in the second film. The Guardian are running a live blog of all the keeerrazzy things happening around the world.

I think I’ll jump on my hoverboard to travel tonight. It’ll make a change. Anybody else got something planned?

Arbutus @arbutus

@blenkinsopthebrave     Was that not the most bizarre and frightening display of desperation you have ever seen? I truly couldn’t believe it, I had actually credited Harper with a bit of dignity. And it accomplished nothing, since the Liberals took suburban Toronto in the end anyway. Apparently Ford Nation is not the mighty force that we were led to believe.  🙂  Thank goodness, because that’s not the Canada I grew up with. Anyway, as you say, hopefully things are finally looking up. Salut!

Off now to watch some volleyball. Such a civilized sport, every one stays on their own side of the net, no pushing, shoving, or fouling. I think it’s the most smiley of all the sports my boy plays.  🙂

winston @winston

@arbutus    @blenkinsopthebrave

There was  some cheering here in our huose when the election results started coming in. I will even admit to a happy dance.  Although my riding stayed conservative we still have a new Prime Minister.Ten years was a long time to put up with Harper. Now we can take a deep breath and turn Canada back  into the country it should be.  Go Jays!

winston @winston

I am not really into sports but hey, this is baseball!

Arbutus @arbutus

@winston    Well, I did no happy dance, but my sister did cackle with glee into my phone for at least 30 seconds. It was impressive.  🙂  And the Jays won, too! Do you think they can get two more? Heady days, heady days.  🙂

Anonymous @

@phaseshift

A belated Happy Back To The Future Day to you.

I spent the day watching the BTTF marathon on ITV2 although if I could go back in time, I’d stop myself from watching the damn-awful Keith Lemon ‘tribute’ show that was sandwiched between Parts 2 & 3 😉

Speaking of Part 3, which I watched for the first time (not sure why I’d never seen it before as I love the first two), there was something oh so familiar about it – a school teacher called Clara getting involved in the adventures of a time-travelling Doctor 😯 Hmm, I can feel a bonkers, cross-franchise theory coming on…

Clara Clayton is a claricle!

In 1875, an American version of Clara Oswald (a teacher) became distracted from her mission to save The Doctor when she met & married the dashingly handsome Daniel Clayton. Sadly, in 1884 Mr Clayton (who was also a teacher) was tragically killed when he was trampled by an out of control horse & cart (which was carrying a cargo of manure).

Consumed by despair, Clara moves to Hill Valley* in September 1885 in order to teach at Hill Valley School. She meets and falls in love with Doctor Emmet L Brown but breaks off the relationship when the ‘Doc’ concots a story about being a time-traveller. Heart-broken and despite having a nagging feeling in her subconsious mind about time travel and a Doctor, Clara decides to leave Hill Valley but, after a change of heart, is reunited with The Doctor, albeit the wrong one 😉

* It was originally called Coal Hill Valley but was renamed ‘Hill Valley’ after its coal deposits were depleted 🙂

Whisht @whisht

@ichabod – belated Happy Birthday from me too!
    Can’t add anything to what Craig said so well, just really glad you and others share so much.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@fatmaninabox — I’m actually loving your BTTF theory. I’ve often thought that Clara was probably named in tribute to BTTF3.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@fatmaninabox

Loving the theory that Back to the Future 3 Clara was a Claricle.

Is Keith Lemon still actually employed by ITV? The world is a mad, bad place.

@fatmaninabox

That is genius!

@craig.

Gonna need a new pub soon.

Anonymous @

@jimthefish @phaseshift @pedant

Cheers guys 🙂 Further to my not entirely serious theory, Clara Clayton’s husband (RIP) is a descendant of Ashildr/Me’s faithful manservant 😀

Pedant, don’t panic, a new pub will be opening for business shortly – just as soon as I remember how to do it 😉

Anonymous @

Well, we’ve finally managed to drink this pub so its off to the next one.

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/the-fox-inn/

Viewing 16 posts - 901 through 916 (of 916 total)

The topic ‘The Cloven Hoof’ is closed to new replies.