The Love Child

Home Forums Non-Doctor Films The Love Child

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Missy 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

Peter Capaldi’s first leading role (and he’s got a dodgy English accent). Time Out said:

If Bill Forsyth teamed up with the Comic Strip, the result might be something like this: a determinedly whimsical, slightly-too-surreal look at working-class life on a Lambeth housing estate. Neither quite funny enough for comedy nor realistic enough for satire, but some strong cameos, warmth and wry wit make it enjoyable.

Capaldi plays a love child of Sixties acid-rockers who died on the road. He’s embarrassed by his parents’ lifestyle and selfish decisions. An accounts clerk, he’s desperate to be normal, and looks after Edith (Sheila Hancock), the grandmother who raised him. He is soon shocked to discover that Edith has plans of her own.

ichabod @ichabod

Well, that was charming — good looking lad, nice little story, just as promised.  “Edith” was wonderful and kept it going, and what the heck if it’s a fairy tale!  I’m glad to see that while our man’s hair is tamed with a nice cut, the eyebrows are already flourishing.  So this is sort of Forsyth’s genre, then — a sweet, low-key story with a splash of grit holding it together . . . but I wish the print had been kept in the developer bath a bit longer, though then there’d need to be more work on the connections among the disparate elements.

The more I see, the more I get the impression that PC did a fair amount of floundering around for a while — no sudden stardom, that’s for sure, but there does seem to have been a lively and productive knot of people in Glasgow doing small work, mostly TV series, for him to get some experience under his belt.  Sort of a typical working actor’s start, nothing break-out until The Thick of It, but that was a hell of a break out when it came, a perfect channel for all the fury that that kind of stop-go-stop-stop-go frustration can build, plus license to swear; ah, life in the arts!  It must have felt like heaven, to have landed a role like the Doctor.

We’re lucky that by all accounts he’s survived and matured into a good-natured, highly skilled actor that people like to work with, just as DW climbs such a high wave of popularity.  I’m glad to see, though, that he’s also doing smaller jobs too (presumably when DW filming stops), like Mr. Curry in “Paddington” and Whazzisname in “5th Estate”, to get refreshed with other projects.

ichabod @ichabod

They’re running Series 8 on BBCA tonight — the first four eps.  I caught a snippet of the end of “Into the Dalek”, and it was startling to go from wet-behind-the-years PC to CapDoc at 56.  The change in the voice is dramatic — the addition of the bass register, which is now in fact the ruling register, makes a whole different man.  Decisive gestures, decisive and cleanly timed attack on lines, and the face of experience replacing the (relatively) blank face of the boy that man was.  It’s like the story and surround of “The Love Child” was pulled out of the developer bath, but the actor was left in there for a long time, taking shape, darkening, deepening, and — peculiarly — growing a little — taller?  What year was this movie made?  Maybe it’s the Loakes?  A good inch and a half in those soles, I think.

I’ve got weird double vision . . . I feel like digging out a photo of myself at 20 or so, and comparing it with the one I’ve got now, looking in the mirror.  See what longer in the the developer bath has done around here.

Missy @missy

Oh dear, what an accent David Tennant is much better at it, as is Colin Morgan.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.